+ Beyond Ghost Reveries: A Documentary
+ A 5.1 Mix Of The "Ghost Reveries" Album
+ The Director's Cut Of The Video: "The Grand Conjuration"

The Best Progressive Metal Album Of 2005
Top 20 albums of 2005: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 33
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Fascination street, Winter/Spring 2005.
Produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Bogren.
Mixed by Jens Bogren and Opeth.
Mastered by Tomas Eberger at Cutting room.

Band drawing by Anthony Sorrento.
Artwork design by Travis Smith.

Guest review by
spirit_inblack
Rating:
Last year, I was at a CD store and this album, for some odd reason, seemed to call out to me. Maybe it's because of the amazing cover art or maybe it was just me, I'll never know. I've only been a metalhead for a short time (2 years). The first real metal band that I listened to was Iron Maiden, then I heard about Slayer, and the Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Tool, In Flames, Trivium, etc. Previous to being in the music store, I had heard about Opeth from a friend and I had actually heard two tracks from the new release, those being, GHOST OF PERDITION, and THE GRAND CONJURATION. I thought that these two tracks were absolutely mindblowing, and so as I was saying, the album called out to me, so I bought it. What a good choice I made.

Read more ››
published 12.07.2006 | Comments (57)

Found in 118 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 75   Visited by: 2641 users
31.03.2014 - 23:10
Rating: 10
The Hammer33

Some great songs on this album, but it tapers away towards the end. Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds are great tracks for long solo driving trips (be warned you may lose your voice!)
06.06.2014 - 23:11
Rating: 9
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 24.06.2010 at 21:05

I personally find all Opeth releases extremely enjoyable; very easy to listen to, digestible, but this is my least favourite. They made up for it on Watershed though in my opinion.

Totally disagreed. Well, it's subjective obviously, but for me this is a lot better than Watershed... as my rating should indicate.
06.06.2014 - 23:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 06.06.2014 at 23:11

Totally disagreed. Well, it's subjective obviously, but for me this is a lot better than Watershed... as my rating should indicate.

This one feels very forced at a lot of points for me and lacked a sense of flow. That's about it really
06.06.2014 - 23:17
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 06.06.2014 at 23:13

This one feels very forced at a lot of points for me and lacked a sense of flow. That's about it really

I'm curious as to which songs on here are your favourites. I'd say Reverie/Harlequin Forest and Beneath The Mire are the highlights (especially the former). I think I like The Grand Conjuration the least, though at this point I'm unsure since it's been a long while since I fully listened to this album.
06.06.2014 - 23:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Erik M. on 06.06.2014 at 23:17

I'm curious as to which songs on here are your favourites. I'd say Reverie/Harlequin Forest and Beneath The Mire are the highlights (especially the former). I think I like The Grand Conjuration the least, though at this point I'm unsure since it's been a long while since I fully listened to this album.

I'll have to listen to it again before I can tell you. This album has not seen much attention in recent years
06.06.2014 - 23:20
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I kind of agree with both of you. I like this album but it lacks consistency. Some tracks are just "eh" to me while others are pretty fucking good.
But... Watershed ain't that big of a deal either. Basically same idea. Some moments are brilliant and others I feel indifferent about.

Both still good albums though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.06.2014 - 23:21
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 06.06.2014 at 23:18

I'll have to listen to it again before I can tell you. This album has not seen much attention in recent years

Fair enough. Same here, as I said. Spun it a ton of times over the years though. In any case, I still regard Reverie/Harlequin Forest as one of their best songs ever... like top 10 songs.
06.06.2014 - 23:25
Erik M.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.06.2014 at 23:20

I kind of agree with both of you. I like this album but it lacks consistency. Some tracks are just "eh" to me while others are pretty fucking good.
But... Watershed ain't that big of a deal either. Basically same idea. Some moments are brilliant and others I feel indifferent about.

Both still good albums though.

Well, I disagree with what you say about GR, but agree about Watershed. A few songs on there (Coil and Porcelain Heart especially) are really boring in comparison to the really awesome songs on the album (Heir Apparent, Hessian Peel and Hex Omega... undoubtedly the highlights for me).
06.06.2014 - 23:29
mz

Both watershed and GR are fucking masterpieces.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
06.06.2014 - 23:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
And once again, Opeth divide the people
07.06.2014 - 13:36
MechanisT
Account deleted
Ghost Reveries > Watershed.
07.06.2014 - 14:13
Uldreth

Yeah I also like GR more than Watershed. Watershed does have some great stuff but some of them are really forced and some even almost cringe-inducing at times, while GR is consistently good.

Also Harlequin Forest and Isolation Years are some of my favourite Opeth tracks.
09.06.2014 - 14:51
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
This is my favorite Opeth album, every song is great!
11.06.2014 - 03:54
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 06.06.2014 at 23:31
And once again, Opeth divide the people

My high school art teacher once told me the key to being successful as an artist is to bring out an emotional response in the viewer (or in this case, listener), be it good or bad.

She hated my artwork and failed me as a result. One of life's little ironies.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.06.2014 - 12:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.06.2014 at 03:54

My high school art teacher once told me the key to being successful as an artist is to bring out an emotional response in the viewer (or in this case, listener), be it good or bad.

What a bell-end. You should have shat on the table in front of her and shouted: "There's some art, bitch."
11.06.2014 - 13:22
Rating: 7
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 11.06.2014 at 12:33

Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.06.2014 at 03:54

What a bell-end. You should have shat on the table in front of her and shouted: "There's some art, bitch."

That probably would have resulted in a pass grade (strong emotional response in the viewer) but an expulsion from the school.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
22.08.2014 - 05:55
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Unexpectedly great, or at least far better than I assumed it would be. Akerfeldt's growls sound absolutely perfect on this release, but the cleans are still a weak point for me. I don't think I'll ever enjoy his clean vocals, which really makes me not want to check out their recent stuff, but that's for another time.

The guitar work is incredible. I really wish they stuck to the uptempo aggressive stuff though. The way it's supported by their melodic "storytelling" style of songwriting makes me want to rate this higher, but it's still those pesky acoustic breaks always getting in the way of my enjoyment. Oh well.

It's a hard album to judge. Parts of it command my full attention and have me questioning whether it's got the potential to be an all-time favorite, or at least something I listen to often. But there are too many stretches of "background music" for me to really consider this a great album.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.08.2014 - 11:35
mz

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.08.2014 at 05:55

Unexpectedly great, or at least far better than I assumed it would be. Akerfeldt's growls sound absolutely perfect on this release, but the cleans are still a weak point for me. I don't think I'll ever enjoy his clean vocals, which really makes me not want to check out their recent stuff, but that's for another time.

I pretty much like the clean vocals but the growls of him are definitely the best I've ever heard. Supper powerful and yet understandable.
----
18.12.2014 - 12:53
lenirI

I personally find all Opeth releases extremely enjoyable; very easy to listen to, digestible, but this is my least favourite. They made up for it on Watershed though in my opinion.

7 is not at all a true value for this album...do you even know how to analyze music ?
18.12.2014 - 12:53
lenirI

7 is not at all a true value for this album...do you even know how to analyze music ?
18.12.2014 - 12:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by lenirI on 18.12.2014 at 12:53

Oh yeah, you're the new idiot around town.

Hey.
18.12.2014 - 13:50
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Can't be bothered to reply to this guy's PMs, so I'll just leave them here because they're hilarious.

Quote:
I am objective and I say that you're wrong ! Your opinion does not matter to me because what I say is almost the absolute truth. That album is a total masterpiece - one of the best albums created in the metal scene in this fucked up world.

Your way to analyze music is wrong...not realistic at all - you're like cancer that it's good things. You just rate albums and give wrong ratings; you miss the very essential things.

You called me idiot just for criticizing you...that's wrong - cancer; I thought masses of people in that country you live are much more educated than in other places in this world.

Do you know what complexity, sound quality, artistry, lyricism, DEPTH, rhythm, album cohesiveness and originality is ? It seems that you don't know...
18.12.2014 - 14:03
Ilham
Giant robot
People and their superior ways of analysing music.
18.12.2014 - 17:45
InnerSelf
proofread free
Why is your name not cancer yet Joe ?
To try and stay a bit on-topic (and repeating what I've already written on page 1); Ghost Reveries is one of my favorite Opeth albums, and although I can understand people refering to it as "progressive wankery", there is not a single moment on the album that bores me.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
18.12.2014 - 18:11
mz

Joe is definitely a cancer for not liking this as much as I. Seriously, this is a great record and I don't find any bad moment in it. The first two tracks are among the bests they've ever written.
----
19.12.2014 - 05:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 18.12.2014 at 13:50

Can't be bothered to reply to this guy's PMs, so I'll just leave them here because they're hilarious.

Quote:
I am objective and I say that you're wrong ! Your opinion does not matter to me because what I say is almost the absolute truth. That album is a total masterpiece - one of the best albums created in the metal scene in this fucked up world.

Your way to analyze music is wrong...not realistic at all - you're like cancer that it's good things. You just rate albums and give wrong ratings; you miss the very essential things.

You called me idiot just for criticizing you...that's wrong - cancer; I thought masses of people in that country you live are much more educated than in other places in this world.

Do you know what complexity, sound quality, artistry, lyricism, DEPTH, rhythm, album cohesiveness and originality is ? It seems that you don't know...

How can something be 'almost the absolute truth'? Is it like it would be true, except it's not?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
05.02.2015 - 06:09
Dr. Strawberry

The Baying Of The Hounds is really good, I can feel the old Opeth (Black Waterpark).
22.03.2015 - 01:43
ATG

Amazing album, one of the best just a complete work of art from start to finish
22.03.2015 - 16:25
Rating: 6
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Album from year when my metalhead internet career(no fuck sake its nit career, its LIFESTYLE, since age 13 I like such music and I have not given it up and I am 30 now, I wont give it up, if I have not I wont) anyway 2005 was when I most start use I net for music IMO 1999 was when I got I net home and until 2003/04 it was dial up. After it when its 24h , it was possibilities and I spend hours digging, looking in doom metal.com , gothmetal.net, MS and MA ...

ok back on album, one of 1th what I dig up online, maybe because I saw music video, I dunno, I knew Opeth before, but that days I was like poser, I liked only what is '' TrOO'' I was not into any what is not TrOO (even nu , djen, mat most of prog sucks still) , I didn't like it than

Now its enjoyable album, great guitars, great calm clean vocal passage , I hate song The Grand Conjuration, but basically I like this album a lot now, rest is simply brilliant.

and yes I will listen this music until day I die , pension days be wonderful,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.04.2016 - 00:36
TizMH00

THIS ALBUM IS FANTASTIC!

Hits total: 45973 | This month: 78