07. The Wolves
08. Venom And Frustration
09. Lonely Roads
10. The Foreseer
11. Cathedral Of The Damned

Guest review by
Night Theater
Rating:
A relatively new band, Whyzdom have managed to write some impressive music for their first two albums. Their sophomore effort, Blind?, features a new singer who has a nice range, but, for some, she may sound a little poppy. With this direction it might be easy to dismiss Whyzdom as just another clichéd 'symphonic metal' band with a stock female singer and soft, boring instruments in the background. However, Blind? is heavier on the guitars than other bands, and the music as a whole is more progressive, too. What's more is that the songs are long in length, with nothing under 5:03 minutes, and the album lasts a good hour and fifteen minutes. This may seem daunting to those who hate progressive music, but Blind? manages to deliver a varied, solid result.

Read more ››
published 23.02.2014 | Comments (4)

Found in 1 list
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 34   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 173 users
17.02.2011 - 23:41
Obaida

They said it's gonna be more symphonic and more epic
I say : Let's just waiiiiit
----
If a writer wrote merely for his time,
I would have to break my pen and throw it away ..
02.10.2012 - 22:25
Rating: 6
Susan
Smeghead
The opening track is streaming on the band's website. OH MY GOD YES.

http://www.whyzdom.com/
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
30.10.2012 - 20:25
annodomini

Could be the letdown of the year. I see what they tried to do here, but they failed for me. THey try not to sound cheesy, so they use complicated classical melodies, which could sound great in a pure oper, but here it sounds out of place. What they managed to do right is sounding BIG. You canąt take this from Whyzdom.
Maybe it will grow on me, but on first impression it is weaker than debut.
----
the riddle wants to be...
31.10.2012 - 23:46
Rating: 5
sonatoarctico

Sorry but not the right way, Whyzdom...

poor sound, boring melodies, anonimous singer

Blind? no, deaf
----
POWER TO POWER
03.11.2012 - 14:35
Symphony Ex

I'm only four songs in and I'm loving it. But then I'm a big fan of epic metal orchestrations. Big thumbs up so far!
07.11.2012 - 19:07
SceneryOfLoss

I quite like the compositions but can't get into the singer's voice and accent.
08.11.2012 - 16:52
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by sonatoarctico on 31.10.2012 at 23:46

Sorry but not the right way, Whyzdom...

poor sound, boring melodies, anonimous singer

Blind? no, deaf

I think there's more to this than meets the eye... did you see what I did there?

I would agree with SceneryOfLoss there about the accent issue, but she seems capable. The music is considerably more interesting than I expected.
08.11.2012 - 17:50
sonatoarctico

Written by R'Vannith on 08.11.2012 at 16:52

I think there's more to this than meets the eye... did you see what I did there?

I would agree with SceneryOfLoss there about the accent issue, but she seems capable. The music is considerably more interesting than I expected.

the debut was more interesting, in my opinion, for all the aspects

take a look to that
----
POWER TO POWER
09.11.2012 - 01:57
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by sonatoarctico on 08.11.2012 at 17:50

Written by R'Vannith on 08.11.2012 at 16:52

the debut was more interesting, in my opinion, for all the aspects

take a look to that

If the music is similar to how it sounds here it should be worth checking out, especially if the vocalist is more suited.
09.11.2012 - 03:27
Susan
Smeghead
I've never heard anything from this band before so I can't be disappointed. Not sure if some of you other posters are or not.

As a Whyzdom newbie I am pleasantly surprised! I expected something slightly different, maybe more symphonic and with harder vocal, but this is a pretty solid album! The vocals are mixed a bit far forward for my taste and she is lacking some unique character but overall I'm digging this. Musically, it's straightforward in a really positive way. Win.

Somewhere between a 6 and a 7.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
12.11.2012 - 17:46
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Vocals aren't strong, but the prog aspect of this album might make it harder to stomach for quite a lot, and more appealing for me.
----
loves 小巫
15.11.2012 - 18:31
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I'm a big fan of French female vocalist accents, so no problem for me on that aspect. It's characteristically Whyzdom, but bigger sounding than before. So far a really good release to me
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
03.12.2012 - 04:59
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I didn't find the first album that good, so I'm not a fanboy. I like the progressive aspect of things here, and as The Shape 1973 mentioned, it does seem to be heavier, which is usually a good thing
----
loves 小巫
09.12.2012 - 17:11
whyzdom

Hi there !

Vynce Leff here, from Whyzdom

Thanks for all your comments ! It's good to see that some of you liked 'Blind?' a lot, and that, well, some of you found it 'intriguing', right ? Since I'm always happy to chat about music - especially Whyzdom's music, I thought I could try to give some insights here...

@annodomini wrote : "THey try not to sound cheesy, so they use complicated classical melodies, which could sound great in a pure oper, but here it sounds out of place."
Vynce : Well, I understand what you feel. Whyzdom music is definitely a bit complicated - though we do not do this *on purpose*. That's the way we feel music, that's the way we express our emotion. Compare with other symphonic metal bands, and I'm pretty sure that you'll agree that we do not sound like the others - Think for example of the use of contemporary harmonies, violent romantic piano, modern orchestral articulations, etc... And that's a part of our identity. When music is too simple, I personally just feel bored. In Blind?, I know that it takes some time to find your way through the album - but I think it's worth the effort.

@sonatoarctico : "poor sound, boring melodies, anonimous singer"
Vynce : I really don't think that "boring" is very well describing melodies from 'Blind?'. I understand that when it's too complicated, it can become boring. But actually, I just think you ought to give the album some more time. Melody is one of the best aspects of Whyzdom, coupled with often changing harmonies.

@R'Vanith wrote : "The music is considerably more interesting than I expected. "
Vynce : Thanks !

@Susan : "As a Whyzdom newbie I am pleasantly surprised! I expected something slightly different, maybe more symphonic and with harder vocal, but this is a pretty solid album! "
Vynce : I'm glad that we surprised you in a good way. I'm interested in knowing what you mean by "more symphonic" ? I think it is veeeery symphonic. Symphonic orchestra is used throughout the whole album. Not only strings by a synth, but complete orchestral parts, with brass, winds, strings, percussions, etc. In songs like "On The Road To Babylon, Dancing With Lucifer or Cathedral Of The Damned" I think that orchestration is very present and powerful, don't you think ?

@dismaleuphony wrote : "I'm a big fan of French female vocalist accents, so no problem for me on that aspect. It's characteristically Whyzdom, but bigger sounding than before. So far a really good release to me"
Vynce : Thanks a lot !

The Shape 1973 wrote : "The more I listen to it the more I like it. I was a massive fan boy of the first album I admit, but this is of an equal standard. [...] I can't understand how people who liked the first album didn't like this one, they are not that dissimilar."
Vynce : Thanks again . I think that 'Blind?' is slightly more ambitious than its predecessor... that might be the reason.

Ag Fox wrote : "I didn't find the first album that good, so I'm not a fanboy. I like the progressive aspect of things here, and as The Shape 1973 mentioned, it does seem to be heavier, which is usually a good thing"
Vynce : Yes, it's more progressive and it's heavier - with more guitar solos, by the way . You know, many bands try to make their new albums "poppier" to get more success. We just went the other way - lol... because that's how we like it. For the third album, the probability is high that we'll continue in that direction

Thanks a lot again for all your comments ! It's always a pleasure to chat about 'Blind?' !
----
Vynce / Whyzdom
http://www.facebook.com/whyzdomproject
http://www.whyzdom.com
10.12.2012 - 06:24
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by whyzdom on 09.12.2012 at 17:11

Ag Fox wrote : "I didn't find the first album that good, so I'm not a fanboy. I like the progressive aspect of things here, and as The Shape 1973 mentioned, it does seem to be heavier, which is usually a good thing"
Vynce : Yes, it's more progressive and it's heavier - with more guitar solos, by the way . You know, many bands try to make their new albums "poppier" to get more success. We just went the other way - lol... because that's how we like it. For the third album, the probability is high that we'll continue in that direction

Thanks a lot again for all your comments ! It's always a pleasure to chat about 'Blind?' !
it's really great of you to drop by to discuss your music and offer your own take on your music, Vynce. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your third release because I see a lot of progress from the first to the second (=
----
loves 小巫
10.12.2012 - 18:24
Susan
Smeghead
Hi Vynce, it's always greatly appreciated when musicians stop by to chat! May I please ask: did you have the music for Bind? written before you hired the new singer, or did you write the music/vocal lines to fit her?
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
11.12.2012 - 14:33
whyzdom

Music as well as lyrics were written (long !) before.
----
Vynce / Whyzdom
11.12.2012 - 14:47
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Already a sign of better things to come, especially in the vocal department if that's the case
----
loves 小巫
11.12.2012 - 15:15
R'Vannith
ghedengi
...aaaand I still haven't listened to this in full. Soon, soon. Before the world ends!
03.01.2013 - 13:19
sonatoarctico

Written by Ag Fox on 10.12.2012 at 06:24

first of all, change the singer
----
POWER TO POWER
03.01.2013 - 13:55
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by sonatoarctico on 03.01.2013 at 13:19

Written by Ag Fox on 10.12.2012 at 06:24

first of all, change the singer
you quoted the wrong person =P
Anyway, I think the vocalist did an admirable job (=
----
loves 小巫
03.02.2013 - 13:51
whyzdom

@sonatoarctico :
Done ! We have a new singer. More intense, more bite
----
Vynce / Whyzdom
03.02.2013 - 15:26
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by whyzdom on 03.02.2013 at 13:51

@sonatoarctico :
Done ! We have a new singer. More intense, more bite

You know, I gave this album more than one listen and I've been left a little bit cold. What I mean is that, the first album had something that this one lacks, and that is substance. Even so, in the song-writing department you guys did great, it is much more heavier than the debut opus and the progressive approach is also pretty appealing. What really felt out of place was the vocalist, without a doubt. While on several songs (such as "The Lighthouse" or "Cathedral of the Damned", for example) she sounds nice, on more than half of the album, she sounds out of place, it feels like the music was not written having her vocal performance in mind (you already confirmed that the music and lyrics were written long ago).

I ain't going to be as harsh as the other site members were, overall, I do like the album, the melodies are great, in the song-writing department you guys are fantastic. I cannot call it complex since I am into the whole avant-garde phenomenon (where complexity is at its peak), though there is more room for improvement.

Hope that the new singer will do a better job and can't wait to hear her performing both live and in studio!
03.02.2013 - 18:01
whyzdom

He he, I definitely come from the avant-garde stuff. When I was a bit younger, I did release incredibly complex tracks... the funniest of all was a dodecaphonic progressive rock piece, based on two figures : 5 and 12. The track was called Dodecamania. I'm not sure you can find it anywhere these days... (but if you google dodecamania, you might find it, I don't know).

Well, as I said in another post, I really love Elvyne's voice in this album. I worked with many many singers, and I can tell her voice is the best I ever had the chance to record. That said, since she comes from the "pop/celtic" side, I understand how some of you feel that she sounds out of place...

Marie has a fantastic voice too, and knew from the start that she would appeal more on the metal audience, because, well, she really is a "metal girl", even coming from a much more extreme scene...

One last thing : I'm pretty happy that you outlined the fact that we went more heavier and with a progressive approach. I've been disappointed lately by bands going the other way
----
Vynce / Whyzdom
07.02.2013 - 18:05
PocketMetal

Wow the album rating and comments are really misleading ... I love both the music and the vocals . great stuff .
09.02.2013 - 09:53
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by whyzdom on 03.02.2013 at 18:01

she comes from the "pop/celtic" side, I understand how some of you feel that she sounds out of place...
no wonder I quite enjoyed it. I think there's a slightly different quality to it that I couldn't place my finger on haha, and it makes it stand out more. Still, I trust Marie will do a good job too

And yes, please, heavier and more progressive
----
loves 小巫
16.02.2013 - 20:58
whyzdom

Thanks guys !
----
Vynce / Whyzdom
13.03.2013 - 13:51
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Written by PocketMetal on 07.02.2013 at 18:05

Wow the album rating and comments are really misleading ... I love both the music and the vocals . great stuff .

I agree fully.... I don't understand the rating...
I think it's a really good album, better than the first one. The music is heavy and complex, different from other symphonic bands. I like the prog side, and I don't have any problem with the vocalist either. She has a strong and good voice, which fits well in the songs. I don't want her to sound operatic like the other bands of the genre, or sound "heavy" like Doro (who I never liked)... I'm sad that she is not in the band anymore, but I will check out the new vocalist too, I trust the guys that they found a good one
18.04.2013 - 10:13
whyzdom

Since some of you complained about the singer, here is a live video with our new one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8V8cjO4Oc
----
Vynce / Whyzdom
18.04.2013 - 13:43
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by whyzdom on 18.04.2013 at 10:13

Since some of you complained about the singer, here is a live video with our new one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_8V8cjO4Oc

this new one is much more better.

Hits total: 11925 | This month: 12