Metal Storm logo
Evoken

29.06.2010 - 01:24
The Turbanator

I used to always think they were mehhhh. Whenever their album 'Antithesis of Light' plays on my playlist, I always change it to a different band. Today I decided to just give the album a spin. Honestly telling, I'm not surprised why it's given so much ratings in other metal sites. This is such a great music. I can't believe I'm saying this because 'doom' used to be one of my least favorite genre in metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QirLzGg4yvY
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
29.06.2010 - 01:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I wasn't aware that they had any black in their music, certainly not their last two releases which are the only ones I've heard, but Antithesis of Light stands as my favourite of the funeral/doom/death genre.
29.06.2010 - 01:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
No black in their sound whatsoever. Also not on their early releases. Crushing funeral death doom. And live like a motherfucking headcrushing steamroller.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2010 - 01:48
The Turbanator

Yeah my bad. Just changed it.

Anyone could recommend any other bands like them?
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
29.06.2010 - 02:54
Richard

Evoken.. An incredible band! They manage to capture melancholy, intense heaviness, and a sinister, eerie feeling at times, which is truly impressive.

Samrit86 (the thread starter) - I don't know if you're familiar with Evoken's other works, besides Antithesis of Light, but their other stuff's well worth checking out as well. There are certain differences between their releases, but ultimately they've kept to their own style without particularly changing their approach. Try the album Quietus, in particular, if you haven't heard it yet.
----
29.06.2010 - 06:33
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Evoken was my first funeral doom metal band, with Quietus being my initial encounter. I first heard them in high school, and even though I knew they were heavy as fuck, I could never get into the genre until recently. My favorite album by them is Antithesis of Light, but I still haven't checked out the newest one yet.
29.06.2010 - 12:46
farmakon
Whispering Gloom
Written by The Turbanator on 29.06.2010 at 01:48

Yeah my bad. Just changed it.

Anyone could recommend any other bands like them?

Try diSEMBOWELMENT, Winter and Thergothon.