07. The Emerald Piper [Limited Edition bonus]
08. Vulture
09. Amnesia
10. Magical Fix
11. Illumination
12. Caprice [bonus]

The Best Gothic Metal Album Of 2010

Additional info
Drums recorded in Tanken Studio, Oslo by Fredrik Wallumrød, January 2010.
Guitars, bass and violin recorded in K-Lab Studio, Stavanger by Anders Høyvik Hidle and Ole Vistnes, February 2010.
Vocals recorded in Amadeus Studio, Oslo by Sigmund Vegge and Waldemar Sorychta, February and March 2010.
Mixed by Waldemar Sorychta and Dennis Koehne in Flying Pigs Studio, April 2010.
Mastered by Svante Forsbäck at Chartmakers, May 2010.

Produced by Anders Høyvik Hidle and Ole Vistnes.
Co-produced by Waldemar Sorychta.

Photos and front cover artwork by angst-im-wald.
Booklet design by Tinko Georgiev.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Tristania is for one more time in the controversial eye of the cyclone. The first time was when Morten Veland ceased to be a member of the band. The second was when the charismatic and adored by the fans of the band (and of gothic metal as well), Vibeke Stene, left. But the flames of controversy hadn't risen that much, not until recently when their 6th full-length album came to the surface, the 1st with Mariangela "Mary" Demurtas on the female vocals. Yet, this isn't the only change on the line-up, only two of the founding members remain in the ranks of Tristania, Anders Høyvik Hidle and Einar Moen, although Osten still partakes as a guest vocalist which is very welcome, he has also written half the lyrics of the album.

Read more ››
published 13.09.2010 | Comments (25)

Found in 3 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 62   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 643 users
30.06.2010 - 01:13
gaud2029

I am very, very afraid.
23.07.2010 - 20:48
Cassian

Written by gaud2029 on 30.06.2010 at 01:13

I am very, very afraid.

Me, too.
I sense a very big change in direction. I love Tristania so much, all of their albums are amazing and musically detailed. Yet I'm afraid this album would be simple and more rock-influenced.
27.07.2010 - 07:28
Rating: 8
annodomini

Http://www.myspace.com/tristania

And since hearing these 3 new songs, I am absolutely not afraid anymore. They made "In your face" to all of us.
----
the riddle wants to be...
07.08.2010 - 03:40
Rating: 6
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Im waiting for it.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
25.08.2010 - 15:46
Rating: 7
Vonpire

I am disapointed. Specially with the song Magical Fix... OMG What a crap song. Besides that it's a nice album, but not outstanding as i would expect from Tristania.

Besides i don't like her voice so much and song structures are also a bit... Commercial...

But , it's very fresh yet on my ears, maybe it will grow with time (I hope).

For me best one is the last, which is the only song bigger than 5 minutes!!! This mean a lot about this new album...

Well Let me see if rating is ok :

Songs :

01 - 8/10
02 - 9/10
03 - 7/10
04 - 7/10
05 - 7/10
06 - 6/10
07 - 6/10
08 - 7/10
09 - 8/10
10 - 5/10
11 - 9/10

So here it comes - 8+9+7+7+7+6+6+7+8+5+9 / 11 = 7,18 rounded for 7....

EDIT : It Didn't grow on me after 5 listens.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
25.08.2010 - 21:56
In Bone Factory

I dont like it.simple rock-influenced music with a couple of cheap songs but still has some atmosphere.
and the new vocal is uncomparable with stene!maybe comparable to half of her.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
26.08.2010 - 01:26
Keitaro333

Damn... i was hoping, it's been such a long time... but its pretty bad. I'll give it a chance and listen to it a couple more times but it doesnt look or rather sound good.
And the singer... i'll just say i dont understand how she was picked out of all the applicants... shes well lets say barely average.
26.08.2010 - 13:31
Jeeers

Biggest letdown of 2010 for me...
26.08.2010 - 14:29
Vonpire

I saw this coming with this singer they got... First Sirenia disapointing, now Tristania... It's the Path to Decay...
----
26.08.2010 - 18:03
Prisoner
Account deleted
The last track was the only one I could listen proudly saying "This Is Tristania"!
what a letdown!
26.08.2010 - 19:17
Vonpire

I guess they'll win the prize... Of biggest letdown
----
27.08.2010 - 14:22
annodomini

Biggest letdown? You are funny people. Realy funny. How can you still not let go the old Tristania.

This th best Female Fronted album this year and I will put it somewhere near Beyond The Veil. Magickal songwriting, vocal parts, melodies, absolutely everything is amazing. It is clear that band is enjoying what they are doing...

ANd MAry... She is amazing.
----
27.08.2010 - 15:03
Jeeers

Written by annodomini on 27.08.2010 at 14:22

Biggest letdown? You are funny people. Realy funny. How can you still not let go the old Tristania.

This th best Female Fronted album this year and I will put it somewhere near Beyond The Veil. Magickal songwriting, vocal parts, melodies, absolutely everything is amazing. It is clear that band is enjoying what they are doing...

I think you have hit your head really hard. But that's your opinion and I will respect it.
I think this album is fucking weak and pathetic! And, by the way, I enjoyed Illumination (album) very much, so you can't say that I am "old Tristania only" lover. But this ... THIS is way tooo much!!!
27.08.2010 - 16:58
tony8304

Yes, this album is fucking weak, poor riff & music and this is not Tristania anymore. I guess I have to say goodbye to Tristania, but.. I'll try to listen again for the 8 times
27.08.2010 - 21:20
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Very mediocre after first listening. The violin doesn't have half as much as effect as it did in the BTV times, the melodies are nothing special, Kjetil sounds like a copy of osten, Mary hits on enegric songs, she's not as half as good in ballads. But I'll give it a couple of more listens before voting.

And you can shove your comments about not being able to get through the ''old Tristania'' phase, but this band has had so many changes over the years it's normal that we all don't like it. And I personally don't care who made the album, if I don't like it, I don't, if I do, I do.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
27.08.2010 - 21:47
Vonpire

Written by annodomini on 27.08.2010 at 14:22

Lol...

Man, it appears you're almost alone here. Your point, you like no prob.

Now Don't call me old Tristania fan.

I love Ashes (i veoted 10 for it) and Ilumination was a 8 for me.

Telling this is at B.T.V. Level is a joke, for anyone.

I still think they'll win biggest letdown prize this year .
----
29.08.2010 - 16:10
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Ok, so due to liking Year Of The Rat, Protection, Illumination and semi-liking Amnesia, The Passing and Exile, and completely not finding anything enjoyable in Magical Fix, Emerald Piper, Patriot Games.... I'd give it a mere 6. It's not a crappy album, but could have been done much much better. It's just over produced, the vocals sound terrible when mixed together imho (for example the chorus od Patriot Games), it lacks harshness, guitar riffs, lyrics are repetitive. But then again, Einar is a great composer, which he proves is some songs, but as I said, the songs on this album just give me the feeling they haven't been polished to their ful potential.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
30.08.2010 - 10:45
Rating: 10
mpdeimos

Written by Vonpire on 25.08.2010 at 15:46

I am disapointed. Specially with the song Magical Fix... OMG What a crap song. Besides that it's a nice album, but not outstanding as i would expect from Tristania.

Magical Fix sounds a bit like Trail of Tears ft. Sonic Syndicate
Still a bit biased about the album. it has some good songs (Illumination) but didn't grow on me as well, yet...

Nevertheless I've expected an even worse album
30.08.2010 - 15:57
Sanctus Diavolos

Maybe I can say album is good but not like as before. Tristania changed, disappointment!
01.09.2010 - 08:35
tony8304

Alright, On final listening, It still didn't grow on me, my beloved Tristania gone..
01.09.2010 - 11:32
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Since I'm a bit of a completist with certain bands, like this one, I'm waiting for my retail copy in the mail to offer a better opinion. The samples have only sounded mildly interesting so far...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
02.09.2010 - 01:44
Rating: 4
crimsontide

OMG, this is far worse than what I expected...the whole album sounds like Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life era, in a bad way...
I quit listening each song after 3 minutes, couldn't stand more...usually it gets better after a few listenings, but I don't even think I'll be able to overcome these here.
Damn, how could they put together such repetitive rythmics, annoying vocals and boring melodies, when we know what they made in the past...even Johansen's violin seems less inspired!
Well, another dead band for me
02.09.2010 - 04:38
Slyfang

The secret to loving Tristania's music is to stop comparing every album to the previous one. i've never felt disappointed and find everything they do highly enjoyable
05.09.2010 - 16:08
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Im on the third track right now and I just can say what the fuck? absolutely disappointment Im waiting for Jeff's review about this!
----
05.09.2010 - 16:15
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by crimsontide on 02.09.2010 at 01:44

OMG, this is far worse than what I expected...the whole album sounds like Lacuna Coil - Shallow Life era, in a bad way...
I quit listening each song after 3 minutes, couldn't stand more...usually it gets better after a few listenings, but I don't even think I'll be able to overcome these here.
Damn, how could they put together such repetitive rythmics, annoying vocals and boring melodies, when we know what they made in the past...even Johansen's violin seems less inspired!
Well, another dead band for me

best explanation for this album.
----
07.09.2010 - 15:56
annodomini

Here is my review of Rubicon: for those who can't understand that this is great album, I have explained why!

http://cabinofart.blogspot.com/2010/08/tristania-illumination.html
----
07.09.2010 - 16:57
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by annodomini on 07.09.2010 at 15:56

Here is my review of Rubicon: for those who can't understand that this is great album, I have explained why!

not one step better than average for me. I read your good review and started to listen to the album again and hardly tried to find the very dark and gothic part but I didnt feel it. This is as our friend said just a Lacuna Coil-like album and comparable to their bad last albums.
----
10.09.2010 - 19:08
Vonpire

Awwww.. .And you give 8.5 there and 10 here. Makes total sense
----
10.09.2010 - 19:30
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Vonpire on 10.09.2010 at 19:08

wow I havent pay attention to that part
----
11.09.2010 - 13:11
annodomini

Written by Vonpire on 10.09.2010 at 19:08

I give 10 here, to make the overall rating higher, cause it doesn't deserve such a low rating, IMO. But we are starting again...
----

Hits total: 20730 | This month: 18