Metal Storm logo
What determines the level of a band's fame?

01.07.2010 - 12:38
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
I think any of us who have listen to quite a bit of metal or music in general have realized that many bands without a unique sound or artistic originality that just sound completely mediocre turn out to be very famous, while other bands who deserve the spotlight even more are left in the gutter without many taking them seriously.
So what is causing this paradox? What is determining a band's fame or obscurity nowadays?
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
01.07.2010 - 12:52
vezzy
Stallmanite
I have wondered about this too, "Why are Arch Enemy, Opeth and Nightwish so popular yet many other bands aren't?"
Maybe it's because they just have a very large cult following which spreads around and makes them eventually popular with the help of the metal press. That or some other notable musician contributes with them, sparking interest. Sometimes underground bands, when cited as an influence by more well known ones as an influence can also create interest in them (for example, Massacre stated as an influence by Napalm Death). There are just many factors.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.07.2010 - 23:28
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Yeh but those bands still do have hundreds of thousands of fans nevertheless, so they are famous, at least u can find them in an any record store, while where the hell are you gonna find a CD for Due-scented anywhere or Carnal Forge?
----
01.07.2010 - 23:48
ThisIsNotHere

I've devised a fame formula.

[#of church burnings] + [#ridiculous public statements] + [#dead animals on stage] + [#talent] x [#band members] + [+dead band members]

In all seriousness, I get the feeling that certain bands are more famous for their actions rather than works and that some occasional listeners align themselves as "fans" without listening to much of the music. More of an image thing. I could be wrong though, as this primarily based off of the few metal kids back from high school. Perhaps not the most accurate sample size... Outside of hs, I've found that people tend to mention [band x] [criminal action] as opposed to [band x] [album] [opinion]. So maybe I'm right. I dunno. Further research is needed.

In my current area, screamo and metalcore tend to be popular. A few Marduk and Gorgoroth fans too. And one classmate was into Deathspell Omega. Other than that, not much, despite the fact that there are several local metal concerts.
----
I almost cried because I acted so insensitive
02.07.2010 - 00:23
Edmund Fogg

I think that the press relation makes you famous and if you don't treat your band as a buisness yo'll never get far.Famous bands got there because they put as much effort into marketing then into their music.It sucks to say it but a band is a product that needs advertisements and its not only up the the reccord label to do promotion
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
03.07.2010 - 14:12
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Written by ThisIsNotHere on 01.07.2010 at 23:48

[#of church burnings] + [#ridiculous public statements] + [#dead animals on stage] + [#talent] x [#band members] + [+dead band members]

In all seriousness, I get the feeling that certain bands are more famous for their actions rather than works and that some occasional listeners align themselves as "fans" without listening to much of the music. More of an image thing. I could be wrong though, as this primarily based off of the few metal kids back from high school. Perhaps not the most accurate sample size... Outside of hs, I've found that people tend to mention [band x] [criminal action] as opposed to [band x] [album] [opinion]. So maybe I'm right. I dunno. Further research is needed.

In my current area, screamo and metalcore tend to be popular. A few Marduk and Gorgoroth fans too. And one classmate was into Deathspell Omega. Other than that, not much, despite the fact that there are several local metal concerts.

Actually u might have a point there! Lots of bands that i start listening to are as a result of me finding them cool looking because of their band picture, like i woudn;t listen to a band who's first picture i saw was in daylight on a grass field or something like that, where as i started listening to katatonia because of that amazing name that has a ring to it and al the dark ominous pics they have. And that formula has also opened my mind to the fact that although black metal band church burnings dont mean much anymor, when they first started out they did! and although Gorgoroth's actions were disgusting they did make me give them a listen because i was interested....so i think image plays a big part in a band's fame cuase its gonna make more people listen to them->more probability of peolpe liking them. On the other hand, you could do something different with your music like what anathema did or opeth, they have their own style! or even that garbage slipknot makes. Anyway, good point.
----
03.07.2010 - 14:16
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Oh i forgot apocalyptica! they're famous cuz they revolutionized the cello
----
05.07.2010 - 15:57
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Quote:
Quote:

Found them.

Dew-scented
Carnal Forge

i know they're on metalstorm dude:P im just sayin its rare to find a cd for them record stores
----
05.07.2010 - 16:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Born-2rise on 05.07.2010 at 15:57

Found them.

Dew-scented
Carnal Forge

i know they're on metalstorm dude:P im just sayin its rare to find a cd for them record stores

Actually, he linked you to Amazon.co.uk.
----
05.07.2010 - 16:18
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Quote:
Quote:
Written by vezzy on 05.07.2010 at 16:03

Found them.

Dew-scented
Carnal Forge

oh... well still my point remains valid. found on amazon, not in record stores!
----
05.07.2010 - 16:57
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Guest on 05.07.2010 at 16:23

Written by Born-2rise on 05.07.2010 at 16:18

Written by vezzy on 05.07.2010 at 16:03

Found them.

Dew-scented
Carnal Forge

oh... well still my point remains valid. found on amazon, not in record stores!

Probably in Lebanon,I guess here in Europe you can find them

u sure about that? if so...IM FUCKING MOVING TO EUROPE!XD
----
05.07.2010 - 17:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'm fairly certain you can find them in Europe as it has a very large metal scene.
----
06.07.2010 - 01:38
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
So, how is 'fame' relevant to metal in the first place ?

• fame doesn't necessarily mean quality
  • fame doesn't necessarily mean popularity

fame is simply defined as: 'known by alot of people' .. not 'loved by alot of people' or 'respected by alot of people' or 'favored by alot of people' ... so, fame is all a matter of publicity, something the band has little to do with.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
12.07.2010 - 21:39
arwestromen

Written by Edmund Fogg on 02.07.2010 at 00:23

I think that the press relation makes you famous and if you don't treat your band as a buisness yo'll never get far.Famous bands got there because they put as much effort into marketing then into their music.It sucks to say it but a band is a product that needs advertisements and its not only up the the reccord label to do promotion

I hate to say it but I think your right... it is a job and if you want it as a living you have to work hard both on stage and with the pr and of course (most of the times) making great(popular) music/songs on every album
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
14.07.2010 - 04:44
Got Mayhem?

Fame just means how many people know your name...that's it. It doesn't mean you have a fan and it doesn't mean that you're loved. It just means that somehow, through whatever medium, people have come to acknowledge your existence on a large scale.
----
19.07.2010 - 05:33
Perseverence
Account deleted
MTV, VH1 , Hot Topic, because if you havent noticed the hot "metal" bands out right now are all Mallcore, Brocore bands.
19.07.2010 - 19:12
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 19.07.2010 at 05:33

MTV, VH1 , Hot Topic, because if you havent noticed the hot "metal" bands out right now are all Mallcore, Brocore bands.

Congrats! You are Metallum material!
----
19.07.2010 - 20:10
Edmund Fogg

Wow I guess we answered the question in one page.Now that's a topic hehe.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
19.07.2010 - 21:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

What fuck is Brocore? Even mallcore is a pathetic term.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2010 - 22:12
Perseverence
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2010 at 21:53

Brocore is a term used to describe bands like Arsonists Get All the Girls or Oceano.
19.07.2010 - 22:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 19.07.2010 at 22:12

Brocore is a term used to describe bands like Arsonists Get All the Girls or Oceano.

you mean what people call metalcroe nowadays. No use of calling ti something different when ti is the same all other current day metalcore bands. Just like that stupid mallcore.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2010 - 22:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2010 at 22:21

you mean what people call metalcroe nowadays. No use of calling ti something different when ti is the same all other current day metalcore bands. Just like that stupid mallcore.

Give him a break Marcel, those are legitimate genres when you're 15.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.07.2010 - 22:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Doc G. on 19.07.2010 at 22:24

Why is it that when I was that age we just called thrash thrash no matter how crap it was? Or NWOBHM NWOBHM no matter how crap. Nowadays the kids come up with the lamest labels for anything they dislike. [/old man's rant]
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2010 - 23:34
Roro

Written by ThisIsNotHere on 01.07.2010 at 23:48

hahahahaaaa so true
simply, i see what determines a band's fame is the uniqueness.
20.07.2010 - 12:47
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2010 at 22:29

Why is it that when I was that age we just called thrash thrash no matter how crap it was? Or NWOBHM NWOBHM no matter how crap. Nowadays the kids come up with the lamest labels for anything they dislike. [/old man's rant]

Encyclopaedia Metallum syndrome. It's spreading like the plague to today's metal kiddies.
----
11.08.2010 - 00:08
F0rang3l

Written by Irritable Ted on 01.07.2010 at 21:26

Is metal famous at all? Metalstormers look for metal bands, so what we think is famous is not when you take the whole record buying public in to account.

In the UK Arch Enemy, Opeth and Nightwish are not famous at all. The only bands people not in to metal from the UK have heard of is Iron Maiden, Metallica and Bon Jovi (and they aren't even metal).

Lady Ga Ga is famous, however doubtful her talent maybe. Metal musicians could walk past most people in the street without being recognised.

In the UK? You are saying Britains don't know anything about Black Sabbath, Motorhead and Deep Purple, which originated and gained fame there???
----
For there is a purpose and reason
Beyond all human apprehension
The shrieking silence in the blackness of space
12.08.2010 - 09:53
Culty

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2010 at 22:21

but even i dont use those genre names! lol
----
Gfnttlr