03. Diary
04. Brainwashed
05. Burning Oasis
06. Creator Failure
07. The Pierced Spirit
08. Dante's Inferno

Top 20 albums of 1995: 18

Additional info
Remixed and remastered version from the "Dark Genesis" box set was released separately on September 23rd, 2002. Today, it has a different comic artwork cover compared to the original cover work.

The promo CD (in a slipcase) contained a rough mix of the album; some of these rough mixes were used in the LP-Miniature CD reissue from 2008.

Also released on LP, limited to 2,000 copies.

The intro to Burnt Offerings is an excerpt from the 1992 movie "Dracula".

Staff review by
Sephiroth
Rating:
Two main things make this album the best IE's album and an immense masterpiece: Jon Schaffer's anger and Mattew Barlow's voice. Year 1996, IE had gone through some major difficulties in the past 3 years, mainly regarding contrasts with their label and between some band members, the result: Jon Schaffer wrote the angriest the darkest and the heaviest songs that he has ever composed so as to vent his anger on music and confirm himself as a composer of infinite talent. But (luckily I say) he also had problems with his singer: John Greely, because he was ruining his voice smoking hash. So, Rodney Beaslay, Jon's drummer suggested to give a guy that was singing in his brother's garage-band a chance.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (17)

Found in 47 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 56   Visited by: 1031 users
02.07.2010 - 04:22
Rating: 10
bard
All of the other Iced Earth albums I can easily do without, this one has a heart all to it's own. I really need to find some more traditional sounding metal that's this damn angry and dark.
----
05.01.2011 - 21:27
BloodFireDeath
This album like its predecessor Night of the Stormrider has this bleak and melancholy feel to it that just works so beautifully.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
05.01.2011 - 21:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by bard on 02.07.2010 at 04:22

All of the other Iced Earth albums I can easily do without, this one has a heart all to it's own. I really need to find some more traditional sounding metal that's this damn angry and dark.

i love the sound of this album, but my only complaint is that they mixed the vocals in a bit too loud. it definitely has a "soundscape" of its own.
30.04.2011 - 09:48
Jay-WalKeR
Dante's Inferno i love it
01.05.2011 - 07:29
soadbyob
Account deleted
Written by Jay-WalKeR on 30.04.2011 at 09:48

Dante's Inferno i love it

Agreed, all other songs could have been off the record, and it would still get a 10 (but the title track is the fuckin shit)
01.05.2011 - 10:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"Night Of The Stormrider" is an amazing album, but somehow, this one manages to be even better! It's definitely Iced Earth's darkest album, both musically and lyrically, and is my fave album by them. Every song is amazing. But the simmering intensity of "Brainwashed", the immense title track, and the majestic "The Pierced Spirit" are definite highlights. As is the furious finale of "Burning Oasis". Of course, "Dante's Inferno" really needs no explanation. It's simply one of the most epic and greatest metal songs of all time. xD
20.08.2011 - 21:45
kuvaton
The first time I've heard from Iced Earth was on Wacken 2011. But sadly it was Barlows last live show. Now 3 of their Albums lie in front of me. Burnt OFferings, The Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Truly great band. Barlow is a really good singer.

Is Horror Show worth listening to?
20.08.2011 - 22:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by kuvaton on 20.08.2011 at 21:45
Is Horror Show worth listening to?

In my opinion, yes! It was the last great album they did front to back. As in, there is no fillers on the album at all.
20.08.2011 - 22:19
kuvaton
Thanks. Then I will give it a try.
30.01.2012 - 09:46
Rating: 8
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
So this is what make Iced Earth famose or what Dantes Inferno is awesome song perfrectly perfect but others well ....... if we compere all whit new vocalist its weekest opening album. Mats singing is week some parts where he use so called calm vox was OK, but lilk heavher didnt weork well, musicaly its good one , typical IE but vox , all time I listen this I cant get into it 100% never worked 100% for me how others, yes weeker IMO whit mat
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.05.2013 - 05:09
Lit.
Account deleted
I've been going nuts for this album lately. The title track, Diary, Burning Oasis and Creator Failure are awesome. Everything else is great, too, but Dante's Inferno is just... wow. Think it just might be my absolute favorite song ever.
15.06.2013 - 05:56
CWA
This has to be my all time favorite traditional Heavy Metal album. It definitely deserves to by Iced Earth highest rated album. As much as I loved this band all there other albums are almost a disappointment in comparison to this masterpiece, even though I love all the Iced Earth albums I own.
12.01.2015 - 23:59
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Better than stormrider, the first 2 songs are the best ones for me
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
20.02.2015 - 15:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deadmeat on 12.01.2015 at 23:59

this is more to ''classic' IE, because 1th and strorrider , music sound was more less old school US power, more band was still unknown , underground
----

apos;'
[image]
20.02.2015 - 17:00
Rating: 9
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Bad English on 20.02.2015 at 15:46

this is more to ''classic' IE, because 1th and strorrider , music sound was more less old school US power, more band was still unknown , underground

what? 1th album and Stormrider, the music sound was more less old US power?
I just feel Thrash.
20.02.2015 - 17:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 20.02.2015 at 17:00

what? 1th album and stormrider,the music sound was more less old US power?
I just feel Thrash.

Thrash is heavier, it is US power metal, but later albums its more complex musically , old was more primitive, more garage
----

apos;'
[image]
20.02.2015 - 17:14
Rating: 9
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Bad English on 20.02.2015 at 17:02

Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 20.02.2015 at 17:00

what? 1th album and stormrider,the music sound was more less old US power?
I just feel Thrash.

Thrash is heavier, it is US power metal, but later albums its more complex musically , old was more primitive, more garage

Thanks for correction Maybe this is not problem if some people labeled as Thrash/US power.
20.02.2015 - 17:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 20.02.2015 at 17:14

Thanks for correction . Maybe this is not problem if some people labeled as Thrash/US power.

its close call this time
----

apos;'
[image]
03.03.2015 - 05:56
Rating: 5
Dr. Strawberry
This is in fact boring, not their best. Their best is the second album.
03.03.2015 - 07:04
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 03.03.2015 at 05:56

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?
This is obviously their best album, though the second follows very closely (but not close enough).
04.03.2015 - 08:38
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Guest on 03.03.2015 at 07:04

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 03.03.2015 at 05:56

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

Oh No. Stupid people don't know they're wrong that's why they would not be tired of being wrong.
Needless to say 21 years old kid with high intelligent like you definitely is always right ! I believe you have listened more albums than me
04.03.2015 - 08:42
Dr. Strawberry
Written by deadone on 04.03.2015 at 00:01

I'm a fan of crappy vocals when they suit, but the vocals on Iced Earth's first album are pretty dismal. And that's a problem when the music relies on vocal performance as Iced Earth does.

I am taliking about the second album, Night of the Stormrider. John Greely is one of my favorite vocalist surely ! Unfortunately he was kicked by Sony for saying something bad.

!!! Night of the Stormrider !!! Their BEST ! Not Burnt Offerings
04.03.2015 - 18:58
Lit.
Account deleted
Greely's vocals are exactly why Stormrider is always second best to Burnt Offerings. They're adequate on songs like Angel Holocaust, Pure Evil and Travel In Stygian, but on the rest they're barely tolerable. He's easily the worst of Iced Earth's many vocalists.

And he was an anti-Semitic douche at that. That's probably why Buster likes him in the first place.

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 04.03.2015 at 08:38

Oh No. Stupid people don't know they're wrong that's why they would not be tired of being wrong.
Needless to say 21 years old kid with high intelligent like you definitely is always right ! I believe you have listened more albums than me

I believe you hit the nail on the head.
11.03.2015 - 07:47
Mattybu
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 04.03.2015 at 08:42

I agree 100%, better than this one and certainly better than Something Wicked which is the other people seem to regard as their best. NotS is as far as Iced Earth could go I think, their first album is probably their second best for me and NotS is like that one cranked up and with some storyline to it.
11.03.2015 - 08:18
Dr. Strawberry
Written by Mattybu on 11.03.2015 at 07:47

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 04.03.2015 at 08:42

I agree 100%, better than this one and certainly better than Something Wicked which is the other people seem to regard as their best. NotS is as far as Iced Earth could go I think, their first album is probably their second best for me and NotS is like that one cranked up and with some storyline to it.

I liked your saying, "...NotS is as far as Iced Earth could go I think..."
The direction of Something Wicked...is just "different", not too bad just average. I think too many listeners have been influenced by paid mag ads.
11.03.2015 - 21:06
Mattybu
Written by Dr. Strawberry on 11.03.2015 at 08:18

The direction of Something Wicked...is just "different", not too bad just average. I think too many listeners have been influenced by paid mag ads.

Agree with the first sentence here, but I don't know if the magazine ad theory has much credibility to it. Mind you, I don't really know what exactly it is makes people like that album.
12.03.2015 - 08:24
Dr. Strawberry
Written by deadone on 12.03.2015 at 00:31

...I discovered them via an ancient and long defunct reviews website called "www.metal-reviews.com." Great website that focused mainly on traditional heavy metal and thrash...

Thanks for bringing me back the memories...it's a website where collecting reviews from 6-10 reviewers. It's a great website for new metal listeners but once you got really deep into metal you just don't go back to them anymore...

I bought Fates Warning - The Spectre Within due to a reviewer's high recommendation (whereas this album has been very underrated until now). Until today I still consider The Spectre Within a masterpiece !

"www.metal-reviews.com. R.I.P
12.03.2015 - 13:09
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Not a big fan of metal reviews as they use to emphasis on thrash, heavy or gothic metal genre so that they can get maximum traffic from mainstream scenes.

Even reviews presented there was just inflated with high scores and overloaded positivity of albums. After a while, it gets annoying when you see crappy album gets a big score with glittering point of views.
13.03.2015 - 06:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
26.07.2015 - 20:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.03.2015 at 06:20

The babies of metalreviews as follows -

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/
http://www.twoguysmetalreviews.com/
www.blackmetalreviews.com/

funny lol
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 21107 | This month: 77