07. Mass Murder Rampage
08. Brainwashed
09. Torture Killer
10. This Graveyard Earth
11. Hacked To Pieces
12. War Is Coming [live] [Japanese bonus]
13. Wrathchild [Iron Maiden cover] [digipack bonus]
14. Jailbreak [Thin Lizzy cover] [digipack bonus]

Six Feet Under are a disputed name in the heavy metal community, often labeled as a 'hit-and-miss' band, but nonetheless quite popular. Formed in 1993 by former Cannibal Corpse vocalist Chris Barnes as a side-project, later becoming his main focus after quitting Cannibal Corpse in 1995. Maximum Violence would turn out to be one of Six Feet Under's most notable albums and the first to feature present lead guitarist Steve Swanson.

First off, let me start by saying that this is probably SFU's most Cannibal Corpse-esque album with the raw, down-tuned guitars and ever-present gore metal lyrics. Opening with the sludgy song "Feasting on the Blood of the Insane", we are later taken into some faster songs and Barnes' signature low guttural vocals, sometimes transcending into shrieks, which fits the music well. "Short Cut to Hell" delivers a slight atmosphere with the chugging guitars and Barnes' singing. "No Warning Shot" is probably the most notable song due to its pure energy, its profane chant and guitar solo. "Torture Killer", although simple, is one of the band's signature songs and also served as the name of Finnish death metal band Torture Killer which Chris himself would join and sing in one of their albums.

Sadly, the album also has a lot of filler material including "Mass Murder Rampage" and "This Graveyard Earth", as well as parts of other songs, which includes rampant and tedious chugging or bland riffs. If it weren't for that, it probably would have been a worthy death metal release. Still, it wouldn't hurt picking it up as it has some good songs and overall, serves as a solid run throughout.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by vezzy | 04.07.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 79 users
05.07.2010 - 15:07
Rating: 7
vezzy
Stallmanite
Decent album, it is.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.07.2010 - 05:18
gego_bob

27.07.2010 - 11:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Hmm... probably SFU's best album. I love "Bonesaw". lol
27.07.2010 - 13:02
Rating: 7
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.07.2010 at 11:15

Hmm... probably SFU's best album. I love "Bonesaw". lol

I think their best is Haunted... or Warpath. Not very sure.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.07.2010 - 21:20
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 27.07.2010 at 13:02
I think their best is Haunted... or Warpath. Not very sure.

Im not a big fan of either of those albums really. The songs kinda drag, and dont sound very exciting. Also, I dunno if its cos Allen West played on the first two albums or not, but the guitar sound is very like Obituary. In fact, a lot of the riffs, especially on "Haunted" sound like a second rate Obituary.

Their sound became more death metal, and more brutal with "Maximum Violence". I enjoy it a great deal more than the first 2 albums.

Hits total: 5827 | This month: 7