Metal Storm logo
Melodic/Clean-Vocalled Folk Metal Bands?

07.07.2010 - 09:52
Sulac

I love folk instrumentation in metal, and I really want to get into folk metal. However, I'm not a fan of black-metal-esque vocals (Falkenback's and Forefather's come to mind) and I simply don't have the internet time necessary to search through the folk metal bands here, so I was wondering if you metalstormers could help me find folk metal bands that have predominantly clean vocals or not-too harsh growled vocals.

The three clean-vocalled folk bands that come to mind are Falconer, SpellBlast, and Tyr, so are there other bands that come in that same vein?
07.07.2010 - 11:47
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Hmmm, Folk bands with clean vocals I can think of: Skyclad, Korpiklaani, Subway To Sally, In Extremo, Schandmaul, Saltatio Mortis, Cruachan, Lumsk, Eluveitie, Menhir, Turisas, Vicious Crusade, Odroerir

Bands with not too harsh growls and too many black metal influences: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Finsterforst, Svartby, Moonsorrow, Primordial

Maybe you like some of those bands
07.07.2010 - 13:06
Susan
Smeghead
Two of my personal favourites: Elvenking & Tuatha de Danann. Straight up clean vocals and straight up melodic!

I love most of the bands Diabolos mentions above but I wouldn't call Korpiklaani, Eluveitie or some of the others "clean" vocals. They're certainly not black metal vocals but they're very gritty at times. Excellent bands, though
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
07.07.2010 - 15:36
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Oh, and I just remembered, I made a list with my favourite folk albums some months ago, there are definately more you could check out on that list
07.07.2010 - 16:15
Sulac

Thank you. This'll give me something to do in my limited free time. (This week happens to be a vacation, which explains my activity.) Turisas is superb, as are In Extremo and Ensiferum, but I've never really listened to any of the others. Off to Grooveshark!

(Later)
Skyclad: Not too bad, but not my favorite. I think I'll pass on them.
Korpiklaani: Made me think of Turisas playing but exceedingly well-dosed on drugs. (Maybe its just the first song I listened to: Happy Little Boozer.) I liked them quite a bit. Made me happy.
Subway To Sally: Song: Kleid Us Rosen. Comment: Is that a dance beat in there?!? I listened to another song, and they're not bad, but I'm not sure I'll be ordering a cd anytime soon.
Schandmaul: Not too bad at all.
Saltatio Mortis: I like them. Especially their bagpipe.
Cruachan: Fairly good. I've had my eye on these guys for a while, though I've never gotten ahold of their cd or spent much time listening to them. I like the celtic aspects.
08.07.2010 - 08:00
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Well, there is Ensiferum. Surprised they weren't mentioned in the first reply considering how popular they are.
08.07.2010 - 12:00
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Xim on 08.07.2010 at 08:00

Well, there is Ensiferum. Surprised they weren't mentioned in the first reply considering how popular they are.

Actually I mentioned them
09.07.2010 - 05:18
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Written by Diabolos on 08.07.2010 at 12:00

Written by Xim on 08.07.2010 at 08:00

Actually I mentioned them

I could have sworn that wasn't there a minute ago. How could I have missed it, I even Ctrl+F'ed it too. Hahah, oh well.:lol:

Anyways, Ensiferum is awesome and they're popular for a reason. So you should check them out for sure.
09.07.2010 - 06:03
Sulac

Victory Songs (borrowed it from a friend trying, and succeeding, to turn me into a metalhead) was one of the first five metal albums I ever heard, and its the reason I like Folk Metal so much. I bought Iron and got From Afar from another friend, but neither are as good as Victory Songs.

Anyways, I plan on getting an Agalloch and a Korpiklaani cd, as well as Heathen Foray and Thyrfing. Ironically, all four have fairly harsh vocals, but they're not intolerable.
09.07.2010 - 06:39
Hrothdane

Written by Sulac on 09.07.2010 at 06:03

Victory Songs (borrowed it from a friend trying, and succeeding, to turn me into a metalhead) was one of the first five metal albums I ever heard, and its the reason I like Folk Metal so much. I bought Iron and got From Afar from another friend, but neither are as good as Victory Songs.

Anyways, I plan on getting an Agalloch and a Korpiklaani cd, as well as Heathen Foray and Thyrfing. Ironically, all four have fairly harsh vocals, but they're not intolerable.

If you don't mind some harshness in the vocals, you should look at Arkona. They have a female singer who growls and sings clean. All the songs are in Russian too, so the lyrics sound pretty awesome too
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
09.07.2010 - 22:22
HugeTheConqeror

A lot of good examples given here. I would also add Folk Stone, Glittertind, Orphaned Land, and Suidakra to the list.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
10.07.2010 - 02:32
His Eminence
Account deleted
Two bands that I can think of off the top of my head are Heidevolk and Vintersorg. I especially enjoy Vintersorg.
23.07.2010 - 20:39
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I also been searching for some folk metal bands that can really please me (I dont like the Black mix and most of the harsh vocals). The bands I like so far are Eluveitie, Lumsk, Cruachan, some Skyclad stuff and Equilibrium is not bad too.
Also, if you like pure folk (not metal) you should try Faun, Omnia and Blackmore's Night. I really like them, specially Omnia.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
23.07.2010 - 21:28
GT
Coffee!!
They don't play straight up folk metal, but there's definitely folk elements in their music: Wuthering Heights. Another band I can mention is Dalriada.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.07.2010 - 14:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
There is also young, yet great band from czech - Cruadalach...they have a demo for free
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.08.2010 - 09:02
DrStein

Lyriel is pretty good.
14.08.2011 - 23:42
lopper

Check out skiltron very cool epic folk/power metal band with clean vocals
----
Sing a song of living before everybody dies
18.11.2011 - 13:56
BerserkerLT

Beginner band from Vilnius, Lithuania. Live performances, bad video quality, but enough to understand the music.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BerserkerOfficial
11.01.2015 - 13:34
insejn

Swedish folk/medieval/jester metal band called "Black Magic Fools" sing with something more to risky vocals.. something in between clean and growl. Here's a preview song from their upcoming album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuzPzvnCjUg
12.02.2015 - 07:52
valcrist

If you don't mind spanish then Mägo de Oz and Saurom are great folk power metal bands from spain, a couple of songs:

Mägo de Oz
http://grooveshark.com/s/MOLINOS+DE+VIENTO/4IpBX8?src=5
http://grooveshark.com/s/La+Fiesta+Pagana/2CSLhZ?src=5

Saurom
http://grooveshark.com/s/Tom+Bombadil/2KUfqA?src=5
http://grooveshark.com/s/Nostradamus/2HD7RO?src=5
31.03.2015 - 01:18
hely

I really love Folk Stone. You shoul listen to they. They are Italian
28.04.2015 - 01:05
Ganondox

Why hasn't Amorphis been mentioned yet?