Metal Storm logo
Dissection Frontman Jon Nödtveidt Commits Suicide

Dissection frontman Jon Nödtveidt has committed suicide. Nödtveidt's death was confirmed by the Swedish distributor Sound Pollution, whose staff has worked with Dissection throughout the band's career. A posting on the Sound Pollution web site, www.soundpollution.se, reads: "RIP Jon Nödtveidt 1975-2006. Condolences from Sound Pollution & Black Lodge."

Nödtveidt formed Dissection in 1989 and released two full-length albums with the group ? "The Somberlain" (1993) and "Storm of the Light's Bane" (1995) ? before he was convicted in Sweden of felony murder of 37-year-old homosexual Algerian Josef Ben Maddour in 1997. He was released from prison in 2004, at which point he restarted Dissection.

Dissection announced in May that it would split up imediately following its final performances in support of its recently released CD, "Reinkaos". The band was subsequently forced to cancel its two previously announced appearances in North America (Sept. 1 at the House of Blues in West Hollywood, CA and Sept. 6 at B.B. King Blues Club in New York City) after Nödtveidt was denied legal entry into the United States as a result of his conviction.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Dissection
Posted: 18.08.2006 by Ccadas

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 58   Visited by: 216 users
18.08.2006 - 21:30
Basso
Account deleted
He may have done great music, but commiting suicide is weak. R.I.P
18.08.2006 - 21:43
Aghahowa

R.I.P. Jon.
I will regret your humanism after your band shows.
18.08.2006 - 21:46
Lanfawn
Account deleted
what the fuck... pretty unexpected I must say..
18.08.2006 - 21:46
enixtm

R.I.P.
----
How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Huh?
18.08.2006 - 21:52
Valar
IndianSteel
R.I.P
damn!
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
18.08.2006 - 21:53
Endoftherainbow

R.I.P.
Made some great muisc.
18.08.2006 - 22:03
NoRb3
Account deleted
R.I.P
    18.08.2006 - 22:04
    Artificial
    Account deleted
    R.I.P Jon, your entire life was a big success
    18.08.2006 - 22:11
    Aghahowa

I've forgotten ...

Even if he has done really bad things (kill - prison)
    18.08.2006 - 22:21
    RavenLord

Shit...this was pretty sudden...I suppose it guarantees 'kvlt' status for the band now, though...

While I would like to respect his memory, I cannot deny that he has some definite problems. He committed murder, and that cannot be excused. I am still not clear whether he ever regretted that, or simply the fact that he was put into prison. However, I believe that, as a Christian, I must acknowledge the death of a great musician, and a fellow human being.

R.I.P. Jon Notveidt...I know not where you are now, but here on Earth your memory and your music will live on...
    ----
    18.08.2006 - 22:56
    Hrimner
    Account deleted
    Holy fucking shit.. that came pretty sudden

R.I.P Jon
    18.08.2006 - 23:00
    NichtTot
    Account deleted
    Shit.... He was one of the absolute best singers i have ever heard...

R.I.P.
    18.08.2006 - 23:27
    Arian Totalis
    The Philosopher
    Oh, it's a sad thing, I don't even listen to them, but when you really think about these things, it doesn't matter, because you can only imagine the kind of self distain he must have felt, sometimes I get so depressed and pissed at myself that I just want to abandon and hurt all kinds of people, including myself, because ultimately there many things about myself which I hate, these kinds of thought patterns can lead to suicidal tendancies if not carefully monitered, luckily I have enough self control not to do something stupid and leave the people who love me.

But this guy must have felt some kind of remourse that was to great for him to bear, Maby that murder weighed on his mind, I don't know, All I can hope is that his soul rests well and is in a better place.
    ----
    "For the Coward there is no Life
    For the hero there is No Death"
    -Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
    19.08.2006 - 00:31
    PRIMAL FEAR
    Account deleted
    This is pretty bad... R.I.P.

it'd be interesting to know what compelled him to do so though...
    19.08.2006 - 00:39
    Daru Jericho

Dissection were so amazing and I never had the pleasure of seeing them live (and never will now). I'm gonna give SOTLB a rinsing through these next days.

R.I.P.
    ----
    Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

19.08.2006 - 00:46
    Jason W.
    Razorbliss
    certainly not what I was expecting to come home to... RIP
    ----
    "After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
    19.08.2006 - 00:55
    __BRUTALITY
    Account deleted
    WHAAAAAAAAT?! thats fucking weak dude,commits suicide?
    r.i.p homie,and i give him mad props,he murked a 37yr fag hahahah.
    the somberlain and storm of the light's bane will always be my fav 2 albums from'em.
    19.08.2006 - 00:59
    Savage Messiah
    Metal Drummer
    R.I.P Jon
    19.08.2006 - 01:03
    -MeTaLlIc-OwL-
    Account deleted
    R.I.P. Damn man, great fucking music. A shame.
    19.08.2006 - 01:07
    Ending
    Account deleted
    What a shame that someone that can make that music, doesnt have the balls to live:suicide:
    19.08.2006 - 01:15
    Passenger
    Lost To Apathy
    Pretty fucked up...this puts his recent life into a whole new perspective. A distorced person, but may he rest in peace.
    ----
    You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
    19.08.2006 - 01:25
    Trifixion
    Account deleted
    Oh wow, I don't even know what to say. RIP Jon
    19.08.2006 - 01:35
    matos

WTF ?!? no! i can't believe this :O god damn! Jon you idiot ! fuck! i've never seen them live
    What is that good for !???!
    ----
    19.08.2006 - 02:51
    Raiden
    Down Under Staff
    Fuck... This sucks. It was only the other week that they were touring, and he made a statement himself about not being allowed into America. Now all of a sudden he's dead :-S

Are there any other details?
    ----
    "Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
    - Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
    - Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
    19.08.2006 - 03:05
    enemy of god
    Account deleted
    nooooo a great:nono:
    music r.i.p.
    19.08.2006 - 05:10
    genocide
    Account deleted
    Who said "his entire life was a big success", the man spent 22% of his life in jail!
    19.08.2006 - 06:01
    Metal_Misstress
    Account deleted
    Damn. this sucks
    19.08.2006 - 10:17
    Thrash666

R.I.P. Jon you will be missed and so will your music
    ----
    LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
    R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
    Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
    19.08.2006 - 11:42
    Damnated
    Churchburner
    "The Satanist decides over his own life and death and prefers to go with a smile on his lips when he has reached his peak in life, when he has accomplished everything, and aim to transcend this earthly existence. But it is completely un-Satanic to end ones own life because one is sad or miserable. The Satanist dies strong, not by age, disease or depression, and he chooses death before dishonor! Death is the orgasm of life! So live life accordingly, as intense as possible!" [Slayer magazine, 2003]

So he was preparing this. Still, every death is bad. RIP
    ----
    Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
    19.08.2006 - 12:10
    lordz
    IzZo
    It sucks but hey the guy was weak ... big time

Hits total: 32118 | This month: 66