Metal Storm logo
Dimmu Borgir - Album Title And Artwork Revealed

Dimmu Borgir have revealed the cover artwork and album title for their next effort, the follow-up to 2007's In Sorte Diaboli. The album will be called Abrahadabra. Its artwork was created by German artist Joachim Luetke (Kreator, Arch Enemy, Meshuggah) and was revealed step-by-step in 4 pieces during the last days. Abrahadabra will be released in Germany on September 24, in the rest of Europe on September 27, and in North America on October 12 via Nuclear Blast Records.

The word "abrahadabra" (which roughly translates into "I will create as I speak") first publicly appeared in Chapter III of Liber AL vel Legis (commonly referred to as "The Book of the Law") written by Aleister Crowley in Cairo, Egypt in 1904.

Dimmu Borgir singer/songwriter Shagrath shares the following about the new album: "After eleven months of total focus, dedication and professional team work, Darkness has been reborn. Some people have expressed their concern about the future of the band since the departure of some members of the clan. Let me assure you that things happen for a reason. The black flame burns brighter than ever before. With the mixture of our different musical preferences and the personalities involved, I will dare to say we have created a BEAST, the most detailed work to date out of our 17 years of existence. I know it's too much of a cliché to brag when you have a done a new album, but to put it short and simple, it's a fist in the face to all the doubters out there. Forward - Onward - March... Enter the supreme unknown."

For the second time in the band's career (i.e. 1996's Stormblåst), a one-word album title breaks the tradition of a three-word album title for a new studio release dating back to Dimmu Borgir's 1994 debut, For All Tid.

Guitarist/songwriter Silenoz has this to say on the topic: "We knew there would be some big changes with this album in more than one way and since we've had the three-word-title tradition for many years now, we thought it'd make a lot of sense for us to move on from that. It has served its purpose. We are a band that's all about change and moving forward. An album title consisting of one word goes hand-in-hand with the new material ? it describes both the musical and lyrical content in a more imaginary way, not to mention the unity and the everlasting flame which is Dimmu Borgir. Expect the unexpected!"

When asked about the central figure in the artwork and who/what he's supposed to represent, artist Joachim Luetke responds: "I think that's obvious. Since the whole "setting" is located in an icy, bleak, winter-y, post-industrial era, we're pretty close to H.P. Lovecraft's nameless elder gods. They're represented by the mask's tentacles. In short: the mask/face personifies dominion of powers far beyond mankind. The nameless gods witnessed the birth of our universe and they'll watch it implode. To them, the age of mankind is but a blink of an eye."

Source: dimmu-borgir.com
Band profile: Dimmu Borgir
Posted: 11.07.2010 by Windrider

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 45   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 449 users
13.07.2010 - 01:40
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Thryce on 11.07.2010 at 14:59

The black flame burns brighter than ever before... which is why we'll tour with Korn.

Shagrath said in an interview they did it for two reasons
1) touch more potential audience
2) piss off tr00 black metal fans
I like the second one, personnaly.

back on topic, their statements really sound more and more power metal. dark? whaddya mean?
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
13.07.2010 - 01:47
Don_Doom

I hope this be better than In sorte Diaboli...
13.07.2010 - 01:52
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Hope is a good thing at least
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
14.07.2010 - 00:14
ANGEL REAPER

Well when you dont have talented keyboard player you must play with philharmonic orcestra,wright?

as for cover artwork..it looks like something that jumped off from Power Rangers Era or WOW....
I just hope that they will do something more like first Stormblast and For All Tid...I'm tired of sinphy/In Sorte Diaboli crap..not that there wasn't good things,just I somehow don't like that much nonsense in so much nonsense... Get What I mean?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
14.07.2010 - 00:46
RavenKing

Written by Sleeping Dragon on 12.07.2010 at 08:51

Black metal isn't my usual area of interest, but I'll check it out anyway.

No wonder if you like Dimmu Borgir but not Black Metal. Dimmu Borgir is not Black Metal.
It's melodic extreme(?) metal drowned under synths.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.07.2010 - 00:50
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 12.07.2010 at 17:00

Why is everyone bashing Dimmu Borgir? They are one of the best black metal bands in existance.

First of all, they're not even Black Metal. They only try to look evil to appeal to pissed-off teenagers who don't know what BM really is.
----
14.07.2010 - 08:36
DreadfulYgg

They haven't really had interesting artwork since their first two albums. Based on the color scheme, it makes me think of another DCA. I'm still very curious to see how their sound has changed though, if at all.
14.07.2010 - 12:18
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by RavenKing on 14.07.2010 at 00:50

Why is everyone bashing Dimmu Borgir? They are one of the best black metal bands in existance.

First of all, they're not even Black Metal. They only try to look evil to appeal to pissed-off teenagers who don't know what BM really is.

I have to agree with you on both counts. They're more commercial and polished.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.07.2010 - 15:45
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by vezzy on 14.07.2010 at 12:18

you mean who is not BM is commercial? or who bitching about Jesus so frankly is commercial?
----
14.07.2010 - 15:46
Elyar S.
Gud är Död

you mean who is not BM is commercial? or who bitching about Jesus so frankly is commercial?
----
14.07.2010 - 16:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Elyar S. on 14.07.2010 at 15:45

I mean, technically they ARE black metal, but not as distorted, dark and raw. It's kind of overproduced for the genre, too much symphonic elements, etc. Vocals are decent though.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.07.2010 - 23:19
moe5512

Cant you like a band if it is commercial and not black metal -.-
18.07.2010 - 23:49
RavenKing

The text of the announcement reminds me of the memorable (in the bad way) pile of cheese we read before Ov Hell released their first album. Looks like each time Shagrath is involved it turns into a laughable joke that makes extreme metal almost as cheesy as Euroflowermetal. Not to mention that the music completely sucks each time.
Bands like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth stand for everything that can turn wrong with extreme music.
----
25.07.2010 - 01:45
EvigFokk

I liked Dimmu's music up to Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia; Death Cult Armageddon just felt to me like a failed attempt to replicate what they did in PEM, and all their albums since then have just sounded formulaic and overpolished. I don't think a band can be blamed for being commercial because, after all, all bands are commercial, but it can be blamed for changing its sound in order to attract a mainstream audience. Which is why they're touring with Korn.

If they are trying to promote their new album to the average Korn and mainstream music listener, how likely is it that Abrahadabra is going to be something unique and dark and powerful? At a Korn concert Dimmu is going to play music Korn fans can understand, music I doubt will sound anything like Enthrone Darkness Triumphant or Stormblåst.

Let's face it, Dimmu Borgir is over and done with.
23.08.2010 - 04:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Quote:
Since the whole "setting" is located in an icy, bleak, winter-y, post-industrial era, we're pretty close to H.P. Lovecraft's nameless elder gods.

Such a unique setting. I never would have pictured this from a metal band.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin

Hits total: 6338 | This month: 4