Metal Storm logo
Where is Nirvana?

Original post

Posted by Vikcen, 20.07.2010 - 22:04
I ask why you can't find Nirvana registered in MetalStorm, and other grunge bands like Alice in chains, yes. Curious.
23.07.2010 - 09:08
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 23.07.2010 at 07:47

lalright, maybe Elend does not belong on a metal site, but neither does Nirvana, what's metal about Nirvana? Any metalish riffs? No. Any metal influences? No, rather than some punk and some 60s or 70s psychedelia. But, no metal. The excuse "if X is here, then Y should be here" never works. At least Soundgarden and Alice in Chains have some metal influences to their music which Nirvana never had.

1)
"lalright, maybe Elend does not belong on a metal site, but neither does Nirvana"

maybe????

Ok, remove Elend, I agree with you.

2)
"The excuse "if X is here, then Y should be here" never works"

Do You really think that does not work here?, read the point 1). This is called incoherence within this website, and i repeat it for you: "this kind of things penalizes the credibility of this website"

3) Nirvana is a lot more metal than Elend, i will not discuss more with you if Nirvana is metal or not, you think that not, ok, many others think that yes, you should worry more about this kind of incoherence. I repeat, is insulting compare Nirvana and Elend, and in these moments MetalStorm is doing it. Because one of them is a featured band, and the other not. why in these moments? because is coming out in this thread concerning Nirvana.

4) And finally, you do not throw stones on your own roof.
23.07.2010 - 09:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Vikcen on 23.07.2010 at 06:23

Written by whatsacow on 23.07.2010 at 06:09

Nirvana is straight grunge. At least with bands like Alice in chains you could classify them as alternate metal, or even sludge metal.

What do you mean exactly? Alice in chains already is a featured band within MetalStorm, you can search it, and you can see this:

1985- Grunge
1985- Heavy metal

that means exactly what was stated above, by more than one person. they played a style of music that was both grunge and metal. lots of bands play music that straddle the divisions of multiple genres or subgenres.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.07.2010 - 09:31
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by BitterCOld on 23.07.2010 at 08:57

Nirvana are NOT metal.

so why should we include them on a metal site?

i cited the Beatles, as like Nirvana, they are NOT metal. however the influence of the Beatles and what they accomplished in their careers has impacted metal far more than Nirvana. big arena tours and the shift from singles to albums are directly attributable to the Beatles... so Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden (and thus all metal) are owe them a debt of gratitude.

do the Beatles belong on MS?

no. even though they influenced the course metal would ultimately take drastically, no. they are not a metal band.

does Nirvana belong on MS?

no. they are not a metal band. so why is the notion of including the Beatles "laughable" but Nirvana apparently a zomgfreakout injustice you feel compelled to whine about? because their guitars are distorted?

i picked the Beatles pretty much KNOWING i would bait you into a response similar to the one you provided. by stating it was a laughable idea that threatened our "credibility", you basically now understand how laughable I find your whining about Nirvana not being included.

neither are metal. neither should be included.

if you find it so insulting, here you, go, The Nirvana Fan Club. go get your fix over there.

Do not try to distort.

Forget the Beatles (more laughs).

Forget Nirvana.

I know you are not going to put Nirvana in, but at least don't insult with a featured band like Elend. Remove it. do you remember the edge metallic ? I will refresh the memory:

Written by BitterCOld on 21.07.2010 at 01:37

Metalstorm supports... metal.

some grunge bands straddle the line between grunge and metal... Soundgarden, AIC. as they are at least partially metal, they are a featured band.

some grunge bands do not show the metallic edge within their grunge... Nirvana, Pearl Jam. as they are not metal, they are not featured.

it's all a matter of gradations and not an "all or nothing" thing.

Elend are NOT metal.
23.07.2010 - 12:23
Deadsoulman

Written by Vikcen on 23.07.2010 at 09:31

I know you are not going to put Nirvana in, but at least don't insult with a featured band like Elend. Remove it.

Er, no. One reason: painful though it may be, this site is not run according to what you deem worthy or not.

Elend are signed on a metal label (Prophecy Productions), which grants them immediate presence and reviews on a metal website. Besides, while Elend does not have proper metal instrumentations in a classical guitars-bass-drums-riffs-chorus way, they do have similarities with the darkest end of the metal spectrum in terms of atmosphere, experimentation and theatrical songwriting. I realize that some parts of this description can also be twisted to be extended to some non-metal bands that we don't feature, but ultimately it can be narrowed down to two elements: Elend share more elements with metal than Nirvana, and the staff decide unilaterally which fringe bands get a profile here or not.

If you feel offended by Elend's presence here, may I suggest you join a tr00 metal group on Last.fm or fecesbook instead of ranting here.
23.07.2010 - 12:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
To think some people probably lose sleep over this kind of thing...

I'd be more than happy to see Nirvana here, then again I'd be happy to see a whole bunch of rock bands on these pages but I'm not gonna go on a crusade to get them here ^.~

CHILL FOLKS!
23.07.2010 - 16:57
Thryce
Retired Staff
The other day, some dude suggested Bad Religion, Sex Pistols and Pearl Jam. When I blacklisted his suggestions, telling him we're running a metal site and not a rock site, and that we have to draw the line somewhere, he got mad and demanded a definition of "metal". As if there's a way Bad Religion or Nirvana can be considered metal... Maybe the two of you should hook up sometime. Y'know, just to get a drink, and see what happens from there.

My point being: why even argue with people who insult us by thinking Nirvana will augment the credibility of this metal webzine. Puh-lease.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
23.07.2010 - 17:27
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by BitterCOld on 23.07.2010 at 08:57

Written by Vikcen on 23.07.2010 at 05:52

And you dare to set the example of The Beatles? (This really made me laugh now)

Now I'm really surprised and disagree. I think that MetalStorm has to review their criteria, this kind of things penalizes the credibility of this website , and it can improve.

And following the thread at least reconsider the inclusion of Nirvana.

Elend, please! All this is insulting.

Nirvana are NOT metal.

so why should we include them on a metal site?

i cited the Beatles, as like Nirvana, they are NOT metal. however the influence of the Beatles and what they accomplished in their careers has impacted metal far more than Nirvana. big arena tours and the shift from singles to albums are directly attributable to the Beatles... so Sabbath, Priest, and Maiden (and thus all metal) are owe them a debt of gratitude.

do the Beatles belong on MS?

no. even though they influenced the course metal would ultimately take drastically, no. they are not a metal band.

does Nirvana belong on MS?

no. they are not a metal band. so why is the notion of including the Beatles "laughable" but Nirvana apparently a zomgfreakout injustice you feel compelled to whine about? because their guitars are distorted?

i picked the Beatles pretty much KNOWING i would bait you into a response similar to the one you provided. by stating it was a laughable idea that threatened our "credibility", you basically now understand how laughable I find your whining about Nirvana not being included.

neither are metal. neither should be included.

if you find it so insulting, here you, go, The Nirvana Fan Club. go get your fix over there.

EPIC WIN !

and, as for the "why is Elend on MS and Nirvana aren't" .. i think the admins stated AGES ago that they would not go into this discussion, either you like the way things are, or else deal with it .. this isn't the "democratic republic of Metalstorm" ... and the site admins have all the right to do as they please without having to explain.

its like living in the third world, some people are used to and adapted to it, others aren't
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
23.07.2010 - 17:27
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Deadsoulman on 23.07.2010 at 12:23

Er, no. One reason: painful though it may be, this site is not run according to what you deem worthy or not.

Elend are signed on a metal label (Prophecy Productions), which grants them immediate presence and reviews on a metal website. Besides, while Elend does not have proper metal instrumentations in a classical guitars-bass-drums-riffs-chorus way, they do have similarities with the darkest end of the metal spectrum in terms of atmosphere, experimentation and theatrical songwriting. I realize that some parts of this description can also be twisted to be extended to some non-metal bands that we don't feature, but ultimately it can be narrowed down to two elements: Elend share more elements with metal than Nirvana, and the staff decide unilaterally which fringe bands get a profile here or not.

If you feel offended by Elend's presence here, may I suggest you join a tr00 metal group on Last.fm or fecesbook instead of ranting here.

"Elend share more elements with metal than Nirvana" What?????? Are we mad??

You have drunk too much wine to say all this. You can say what you want, and you can invent what you want, but Elend IS NOT METAL.
do you think we are stupid?

Written by Deadsoulman on 23.07.2010 at 12:23

Indeed. Im very indignant, and i suggest the same for you.
23.07.2010 - 17:35
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Zombie on 23.07.2010 at 17:27

EPIC WIN !

and, as for the "why is Elend on MS and Nirvana aren't" .. i think the admins stated AGES ago that they would not go into this discussion, either you like the way things are, or else deal with it .. this isn't the "democratic republic of Metalstorm" ... and the site admins have all the right to do as they please without having to explain.

its like living in the third world, some people are used to and adapted to it, others aren't

EPIC SHIT !!
23.07.2010 - 17:57
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Thryce on 23.07.2010 at 16:57

The other day, some dude suggested Bad Religion, Sex Pistols and Pearl Jam. When I blacklisted his suggestions, telling him we're running a metal site and not a rock site

Bad Religion, Sex Pistols, Pearl Jam, and... "ta ta ta channn"!!!! We have Elend!!! hahahahahahaha
23.07.2010 - 19:34
Thryce
Retired Staff
Yes! Bravo! Well noticed! We indeed have a band profile for Elend... We got that. We also have invisible profiles for The Doors and The Mars Volta by the way (ZOMG BASTARDS, HOW COULD YOU?!?). Anything else?

The Staff makes a case-by-case evaluation when adding debatable bands. And Nirvana weren't deemed worthy enough by the large majority. Simple as that.

Seeing that with every post the value of your counter-arguments is dropping at the same rate you seemingly lose IQ points, I guess the best part of this discussion is over.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
24.07.2010 - 01:44
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I'll sum everything up for you.

Written by Vikcen on 23.07.2010 at 05:52

Now I'm really surprised and disagree. I think that MetalStorm has to review their criteria, this kind of things penalizes the credibility of this website , and it can improve.

Any other tips, chief? Maybe if we follow this guys help we can become a respected site for metal internationally...Oh wait.
Quote:

And following the thread at least reconsider the inclusion of Nirvana.

No.
Quote:

but at least don't insult with a featured band like Elend. Remove it.

No. We'll do what we please.
Quote:

do you think we are stupid?

...Do you really want this answered?

To be frank, we really don't give a fuck. We just do what we want. We don't want Nirvana. End of story. We'll flow with huge demands of the general population if there really is an important issue to change, but even if there are people who agree with you, I don't think the absence of Nirvana has impacted their lives as it has yours. Get over it, quit making demands, we ain't gonna listen.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.07.2010 - 03:29
Vikcen
Metálico
All Apologies
24.07.2010 - 05:48
Piro

As much as I love some of Nirvana's music, as well as certain other "Grunge" bands, I don't think they really have a place on a "metal" website. They've definitely been influenced by metal, some bands more than others, but that doesn't win them a spot.

Imagine if we started including every genre that's influenced metal, or that metal has influenced here. We'd soon turn into a Wikipedia for music if we kept following the chain.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
31.07.2010 - 22:06
Zuzuz0r

Why should they add them anyways? There are tons of websites who feature Nirvana already.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
04.08.2010 - 12:08
Hamird
Lieutenant
I'm not telling that Nirvana should be added here, but my personal opinion is Nirvana is kinda a Metal band, when I listen to Bleach and some songs from In Utero... But they're not Metal enough to be added here, when you see the other side of the coin where they play Indie Rock and Grunge.
They are a great band anyway, whether be here or not. Bee Gees were a great band too!
05.08.2010 - 02:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Hamird on 04.08.2010 at 12:08

Bee Gees were a great band too!

maybe we can add them should we bring DISCOSTORM back!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.08.2010 - 05:23
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
You could do some sort of storm that is based around grunge if you ever wanted to include Nirvana on this site...hell, I'm for it hah...you could make the site look all...well, grungy and raw and stuff...