Metal Storm logo
Favorite One-Man Band

Original post

Posted by Puff, 20.08.2006 - 06:31
As The title says it, this is a forum to discuss about your favorite one-man bands. and also a place where you might learn about new bands.

What is a one-man band might you ask?
well... its a band who consist of only 1 member. I think bands like that are great since you can clearly hear one's tought expressed through music without any contradictions. surely there are lots of 1 man bands that are very suckish but still I think one man bands are more suitable for Black Metal.

My Favorite band at the moment is Ad Hominem. With its war like riffs and and black atmosphere.
I am also alot into Kristallnacht and Satanic Warmaster aswell.

EDIT: I didn't really know where to put this thread so I decided to put it here even if most one man band are BM I am speaking of one man bands in general.
16.05.2009 - 11:39
ToMegaTherion

Written by K✞ulu on 05.05.2009 at 11:19

Written by ToMegaTherion on 01.05.2009 at 07:31

Probably Ayreon, Iced Earth and Megadeth are some of my favorite "one-man bands".

How are Iced Earth and Megadeth one-man bands?

Who has the majority of say in Iced Earth, Jon Schaffer. Other may have some input but if Jon dosn't like it then thats it. And it the other members don't like it for some reason then there are plenty of others to replace them. Perhaps the only other member with any weight of say in the band in Mat Barlow, but he is not irreplacable.
Megadeth, while they havnt always been a one man band, who runs the show. At the end of the day it is Dave Mustaines band, what he says goes esspecially in the last 6 years.
16.05.2009 - 11:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by ToMegaTherion on 16.05.2009 at 11:39

Probably Ayreon, Iced Earth and Megadeth are some of my favorite "one-man bands".

Who has the majority of say in Iced Earth, Jon Schaffer. Other may have some input but if Jon dosn't like it then thats it. And it the other members don't like it for some reason then there are plenty of others to replace them. Perhaps the only other member with any weight of say in the band in Mat Barlow, but he is not irreplacable.
Megadeth, while they havnt always been a one man band, who runs the show. At the end of the day it is Dave Mustaines band, what he says goes esspecially in the last 6 years.

This thread though is about bands where one person plays all instruments, and not where one person is a mastermind - we have plenty of those. Just read the first post...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.05.2009 - 12:04
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by ToMegaTherion on 16.05.2009 at 11:39

hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! these would've been called "One-Mind Bands"!!!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
16.05.2009 - 17:08
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Mirrorthrone by far...Gangrene would have been a monumental album for an entire band to come up with, but this one guy did it all himself.
16.05.2009 - 17:30
Peuranpuolikas

I have to say "Paska". He´s this one finnish guy just yelling some wierd shit (paska = shit). No intsruments. On Paska´s latest record "Men are from Venus, Women from Anus", there is a cover of Mike Oldfield´s Tubular Bells (which is a instrumental song)... so its just a long silence.
----
Look, The old Bitch is back!
16.05.2009 - 21:22
Scornful Curse

For me there's nothing better than Burzum.
22.06.2009 - 01:47
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
There are some one-man bands that I didn't even know that are one-man bands . I had listen to three Xasthur albuns before discovering that it was just one guy.

From the one's I know.. Burzum and Xasthur are the best, Leviathan is also nice, and there is one band, Angra Maiyu, that made a split album with Xasthur (althou I'm not sure if it one-man).

Curious about Isengard and Falkenbach.. will check out these very soon.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.06.2009 - 02:50
Doomed
Account deleted
For me i like Dan swano in his one man project when he released "moontowe"
and in "Edge Of Sanity" when he worked alone in 2003
22.06.2009 - 14:24
Numbskull

Bloodsoaked is a one man band that's all about old school death metal. Peter is the man.
22.06.2009 - 15:09
Hellkommando

Nortt and all of Wrest's stuff.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
17.07.2009 - 11:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Currently Horn and Sorgsvart
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.07.2009 - 11:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
The dood from V.A.S.T. is really good - forgot his name - also justin broadrick is a genius but numero uno on my list is trent reznor
----
rekt
17.07.2009 - 23:52
Pennywise213
Account deleted
Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice by Wrest is strange, innovate Black Metal everyone should know.
17.07.2009 - 23:55
Piro

Best "One-man band" is either Burzum, Thy Light, or Coldworld. All three are simply amazing.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
21.07.2009 - 19:11
MeloDeathViking

If you consider Forest of Shadows a one-man band, then I'd have to say them. Of the limited amount of doom metal that I listen to, they are my favorite band. I love the atmosphere that all of the albums have.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
21.07.2009 - 20:24
Skøllgrim
Northern
Hmmm I'd say Burzum and Alcest
25.07.2009 - 01:29
wormdrink414

Burzum sucks and Varg Vikernes is a fucking idiot.
01.08.2009 - 13:06
Kvae

I would say Grimm. It's a black/folk band from The Netherlands. The music is perfectly banaced between grim-vocals and a sort of male choir while he is mixing black metal with extraordinary folk melodies. I think he is inspired by old folk songs from Norway.

Check out the myspace page --->http://www.myspace.com/heksenkringen
Or go to "Band Suggestions" and you will find "Grimm"
02.08.2009 - 16:52
Skøllgrim
Northern
Written by Kvae on 01.08.2009 at 13:06

I would say Grimm. It's a black/folk band from The Netherlands. The music is perfectly banaced between grim-vocals and a sort of male choir while he is mixing black metal with extraordinary folk melodies. I think he is inspired by old folk songs from Norway.

Unfortunately this band isn't a one-man band... Good band though.
02.08.2009 - 20:28
Kvae

Written by Skøllgrim on 02.08.2009 at 16:52

Damn, you'r right ( just checked it). Sorry for that! Then it would be eighter Burzum or Greig
02.08.2009 - 20:49
Skøllgrim
Northern
Written by Kvae on 02.08.2009 at 20:28

Damn, you'r right ( just checked it). Sorry for that! Then it would be eighter Burzum or Greig

Greigh*
03.08.2009 - 08:29
Kvae

Written by Skøllgrim on 02.08.2009 at 20:49

Written by Kvae on 02.08.2009 at 20:28

Written by Skøllgrim on 02.08.2009 at 16:52

Greigh*

hehe... thanks man;)
04.08.2009 - 01:51
Endoftherainbow

Brian Forgue's one man band Syphilic is my favourite right now Symphony of Slit Throats is one of the heaviest records I've heard in awhile but a close second would be Insidious Decrepancy.
04.08.2009 - 13:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by VaronoZz on 04.08.2009 at 13:00

Drudkh....!

they arent one-man band
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.08.2009 - 13:19
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by Ellrohir on 04.08.2009 at 13:08

Written by VaronoZz on 04.08.2009 at 13:00

Drudkh....!

they arent one-man band

yes yes u are right, i forgot!
So we have... Burzum, Forest of Fog and Forest of Shadows
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
04.08.2009 - 23:38
HarmonyCorruptio

Anyone who picks something that's not Burzum is a tool.
05.08.2009 - 03:25
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
Written by HarmonyCorruptio on 04.08.2009 at 23:38

Anyone who picks something that's not Burzum is a tool.

ha? what do u mean?
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
08.08.2009 - 14:02
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
I've always been a die hard fan of Burzum, Varg is simply a genius.Satanic Warmaster also impressed me a lot
21.08.2009 - 14:14
Trerot

Id say Burzum and Old Man's Child
27.08.2009 - 18:06
Prisoner
Account deleted
Burzum for sure gets my respect

I also go for Nazhand (Iran)...very nice band