10. Are You Ready To Live?
11. Holding All These Lies
12. Trapped Underneath The Stairs [Special edition bonus]
13. People Pleaser [Special edition bonus]
14. Blind [live] [Special edition bonus]
15. Oildale (Leave Me Alone) [live] [iTunes bonus]
16. Freak On A Leash [live] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II Special edition DVD
+ In-studio music videos for every song on the album featuring behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the album.

Korn's latest magnum opus is an ugly ear-sore that is not only almost completely devoid of merit but also reeks of true evil. In another reality, Korn III: Remember Who You Are could pass as a compilation of out-takes from the Korn and Life Is Peachy sessions that didn't make the cut. That is, only if the tracks here were not only sub-par but also performed with zero conviction. How is it possible that what was supposed to be a comeback album of sorts for what is, after all, an accomplished band, turned out to be such garbage?

I'll tell you how. Say what you will about them, Korn always used to grow and mature with each release. Over time, inspiration began to fade and something needed to be done. The band's answer is a return to their initial raw sound. Huge mistake. Maturity was never the problem! It was lack of inspiration! The result is an album that is still uninspired and also forcedly immature. Truly, the worst possible outcome.

Indeed, it seems that any fleeting seed of a good idea is immediately uprooted here. There are some instrumental flourishes, "Pop A Pill" has an appealingly immediate riff, "Move On" a moving breakdown, "Let The Feeling Go" a fun, rhythmic refrain etc. Nevertheless, all of this is always interrupted by some ridiculous attempt at pretending to be children, with nursery rhyme melodies, juvenile lyrics and horrendous singing making sure everything sounds dumbed down. No, actually - just dumb. Also - creepy and fake. Elements such as violent teenage angst, spastic rage and the lingering shadow of nightmarish child molestation that made the first few Korn albums so hauntingly endearing in the first place just sound completely inappropriate now.

In other words, Korn III's subtitle is completely off base. Do you really remember who you are, Korn? You certainly don't sound like the valiant survivors who conquered adversity and used pain as motivation to constantly grow. No, your music is currently the equivalent of a pedophile using WTF, WOOT and OMG to chat up a 14 year old in a chat room. Stop being inappropriate, creepy, old men and act your age!

Written on 27.07.2010 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 413 users
27.07.2010 - 04:55
Rating: 7
Kennoth

Interesting review, none the less. Let's face it, old Korn is dead, and this is coming from a die-hard Korn fan. I too was expecting something far, far better with this release, and when it all comes together, it did not exceed even half of my expectations.

However, it too has it redeeming points. Like I mentioned in some other topics, the 'new' drummer is actually pretty awesome, and a worthy replacement for Silveria. Intros are fast and catchy, and I can't complain about the bass lines. I CAN complain however about the lack of inspiration in a lot of songs, mainly lyrics and JD's voice (I never thought I'll say this).

For me, their best in my opinion was Untouchables alternative-metal era, and while I made peace to the fact that they'll never even try to recreate that very same sound, I WAS excited with the fact that none other than Ross Robinson would be producing the now released album. Overall, I'm still reluctant to give this album some listens, but I even think it has potential. Even their untitled album had some strong points, so I'm sure this one isn't as hopeless.

All in all...I'd give it a fair grade of 7.5.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
27.07.2010 - 05:55
Burning Winter

Korn's show at the Heavy MTL Festival was really boring, the news songs are really not enterning, as if they lost their will to make good music and surpasses themselves... Anyway ...
----
We just have one life... SO LISTEN TO METAL!!!!
27.07.2010 - 10:42
GT
Coffee!!
I was looking forward to this release, but judging from the review I'll be disappointed
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
27.07.2010 - 12:02
Baz Anderson

I only heard one or two tracks, but it seems the review is spot-on.
27.07.2010 - 17:09
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I've only heard two tracks so far and I thought they were alright. But hey, to each their own I guess.
27.07.2010 - 22:19
LethargyMan

"No, your music is currently the equivalent of a pedophile using WTF, WOOT and OMG to chat up a 14 year old in a chat room."

Funny, as that's exactly what the album cover seems to indicate.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
27.07.2010 - 23:31
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
Nice and pertinent review. However i believe that the band thinks exactly that way and the album is a metaphor to "growing up".
Concerning the music: i didn't dislike the album, some tracks are very good, like Lead the Parade and Never Around.
28.07.2010 - 01:06
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
It's true, this album was such a dissapointment. It really is an ear sore. To bad, I actually went along with the ''new Korn'' you all seem to hate anyways just fine, but this is where I drawn the line. Deleted.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
28.07.2010 - 09:31
BudDa

Hahaha. This is review is genius.
I agree entirely. This album is really immature and juvenile..
I still like Korn though..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
28.07.2010 - 11:40
midland_don

Hmmm, would have to totally disagree with this review. Sure, this album isn't their best but I really like it and it certainly isn't anywhere near as bad as this review makes out. It has a cool sound and tracks like Lead the Parade and Pop a Pill are really good. The single Oildale is definitely a slow burner so needs repeated listens and prob not the best taster for the whole album. If you like Korn, and you thought even Take a Look in the Mirror was a decent effort, you'll like this. I was pleased, as I only listened to See You on the Other Side once (AWFUL!) and didn't even bother with the Untitled one!
28.07.2010 - 22:47
Rating: 8
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Absolutely no. This album is as heavy as Korn, it's as catchy as Follow The Leader, it's as dark as the untitled album, Remember Who You Are is Korn at their best.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
29.07.2010 - 03:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Never been a fan of the band, but this album is even worse than their back catalog in my opinion. An ugly ear-sore indeed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.07.2010 - 16:01
sepirioth

I don't understand why everybody thinks it's a bad album ...? It's not there best i agree but it's has some pretty good songs on it, I enjoyed listening to it, still do.. Well think KoRn deserves a bit more respect for the album then they get now, just sayin..
30.07.2010 - 18:31
midland_don

Written by sepirioth on 30.07.2010 at 16:01

I don't understand why everybody thinks it's a bad album ...? It's not there best i agree but it's has some pretty good songs on it, I enjoyed listening to it, still do.. Well think KoRn deserves a bit more respect for the album then they get now, just sayin..

Not everyone does!!!
31.07.2010 - 00:26
Rating: 7
Axe Argonian

I also disagree with this review and will go the extra mile by saying that Korn III is comparable to Metallica's Death Magnetic. While both bands are past their prime, their latest efforts are trying to recapture the sound and vigor of their earlier days and avoid the shallowness of the more recent albums that tarnished their career (Metallica's St. Anger and Korn's See You On the Other Side and Untitled). One should at least give Korn credit for succeeding in recapturing that old, Alt-metal sound that launched them into fame. While they do not sound as good as they during the early stages of their career, they are most certainly back on the track on which they belong.

In regards to the lyrics, it is worth noting that Korn is taking somewhat of a mature step towards deeper meanings. While Davis does often ramble and discuss how much he loathes himself, it is a positive thing that he avoids the vacuous and meaningless lyrics of See You On the Other Side. In addition, Davis warns listeners about wasting their lives on guilt ("Let the Guilt Go") and discusses his desire to complete his journey in life ("Lead the Parade"). The most amazing thing, however, is when Davis breaks down into great anguish and pleads for forgiveness for the hurt he has caused someone else in "Holding All These Lies". I was stunned after listening to that song. In what other Korn song has Davis ever broken down and pleaded for forgiveness? If "Holding All These Lies" is any indication of change, Korn's next album may possibly be even more meaningful and deep.

While Korn III is not perfect, I thought that it was a really good comeback and a move towards a better and more positive future.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
03.08.2010 - 18:10
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Passenger on 28.07.2010 at 22:47

Absolutely no. This album is as heavy as Korn, it's as catchy as Follow The Leader, it's as dark as the untitled album, Remember Who You Are is Korn at their best.

hahaha!!!! thats a good one! hahaha!!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.08.2010 - 23:44
Aetherius

I stopped listening to Korn in the late 90's. Now, I just read up on them from time to time to see what they are doing. This review tells me all I need to know, and too stay away from them still lol. Thanks ^^
17.08.2010 - 00:23
Sephiros7

Never really liked Korn or the "Nu-metal thang" When I heard "suck my d*ck and f*ing like it!" on the radio in highschool I was just like meehhhhhhhhhh........No musicianship, all attitude and radio centered stuff. Don't get me wrong, I know Korn is pretty popular and a lot of people like their stuff it's just not my thing. Not a big surprise when the test of time comes around they don't really hold up...
02.12.2012 - 08:18
Opethian

This to me is what should have followed 'Take a Look in the Mirror'. Its heavy and an Incredibly strong release. How Korn went from this to a 'Dub-Step' album is beyond me.

8/10
02.12.2012 - 08:21
Opethian

Written by Passenger on 28.07.2010 at 22:47

Right! I love how everyone on here hated on the album, but they kept coming back and responding with childish remarks ... 'TOO ELITE' i suppose

Hits total: 8600 | This month: 12