03. Dreaming Light
04. Everything
05. Angels Walk Among Us [feat. Ville Valo]
06. Presence
07. A Simple Mistake
08. Get Off Get Out
09. Universal
10. Hindsight

Anathema have long since abandoned their trademark style and their current eclecticism is as much of a trait as it is a fault. Willingness to experiment and grow as a band is, of course, always praise-worthy; however, Anathema have a distinct stench about them - the unmistakable, shiver-inducing stench of being a follower.

We're Here Because We're Here really stinks up the place. On paper, all the elements needed to make ethereal, melancholic and awe-inspiringly beautiful music is here - Anathema stretches far past their go-to strongest influence of Pink Floyd and channels Radiohead and Muse, post-punk revival sounds, Porcupine Tree's heavy prog and even some shoegaze bliss. Unfortunately, in practice this album sounds a little too much like a rip-off to be comfortable and sheds doubt on just how vital and relevant Anathema can still hope to be. Sure, they write some nice music but by borrowing so much, even they admit that other bands do this sort of thing better. See what I'm getting at?

Moreover, it's not like Anathema is lacking in talent of the sort that could result in an undisputed, unique masterpiece of seldom reached heights. The borrowed elements are always used very well as We're Here Because We're Here flows gracefully from hugely emotional crescendo ("A Simple Mistake") to moving groove ("Thin Air"). The Vincent Cavanagh and Lee Douglas vocal duet is also a thing to behold as both singers seem to benefit from the pairing and submit memorable, melodic performances ("Angels Walk Besides Us"). The meaningful, genuine melancholy that has traditionally been Anathema's biggest draw is also still ever-present and as addictive as ever, even in the fantastic closer instrumental "Hindsight".

In other words, besides some uncomfortable spoken word parts, this is uniformly and undeniably an album with music that can only be described as beautiful. Beautiful but with a catch, like that female friend of yours who wears way too much makeup and spends a ridiculous amount of money on designer clothes that she sees MTV starlets wearing. Genuinely pretty though she may be, on the outside she merely looks fake and shallow. Similarly, Anathema also needs to emerge from beneath the layers of hero-worship in order for their true worth to be evident.

Written on 27.07.2010 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 43   Visited by: 502 users
27.07.2010 - 10:40
Deadsoulman

I foresee at least five pages of fanboyish whiny comments for this review

Actually this review is exactly what I think too, especially the second paragraph. This is definitely not a bad album, sometimes it can be really beautiful, but it often sounds like it has already been done, and better. Fair review.
27.07.2010 - 11:37
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
A spot-on review. I do like the album, but it's completely devoid of any trace of individualism and originality. I miss the time when Anathema was in the vanguard of the style they played, death/doom. Back then they were really inspired, which found its best embodiment on "Silent Enigma". Now the band is in the rear guard of progressive music. Or in the vanguard of an army of copycats...
27.07.2010 - 11:41
Rating: 8
Jeff
Freaky Admin
Fair review too! Exactly what I think
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
27.07.2010 - 13:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Good review. Totally agreed. Now let the fanboys and girls come in and start their crying.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.07.2010 - 17:06
Jeeers

How dear you!!!

Agreed! Nice, ... even beatiful, but a little bit too boring and "happy".
I stilll like Anathema, but not with such passion anymore.
27.07.2010 - 18:41
Mr.Wilson

I kinda miss their melancholy too, that was a thing that i realy enjoyed in Anathema, but i think the album is a good one stil, i realy don't care about that "rip off /copy cat" that is happening here...i enjoy the album for what it is...it is a pleasent album with a good atmosphere...i don´t care if it sounds like pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree...

looks like i am the first whiner
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
27.07.2010 - 19:04
Jon

I like how this "all the fanboys will cry" talk is something of a bandwagon itself now. The Opeth of board talk! mind you, they are a plague, and I really like the review.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
27.07.2010 - 19:07
the stranger

The last paragraph of the review is fucking awesome. Good album, has great moments, but they can do much better.
27.07.2010 - 19:54
Fat & Sassy!

The metaphor in the last paragraph is wonderful and spot-on.

As for the whole review, I thought I was reading review on one of Dream Theater's recent albums!
27.07.2010 - 20:08
Rating: 9
ravendeath

I liked previous albums much more, because this one is lacking of something...maybe that extra melancholic drive. But I don't think that Anathema have to "emerge from beneath the layers of hero-worship in order for their true worth to be evident", because they already are the heroes and one of the most influential bands in this kind. The comparison to that female friend of yours should fit many (and I say many) other much more appreciated bands.
27.07.2010 - 22:26
Slyfang

Uh.. lacking originality and individuality.. what the fuck? there are thousands of metal releases every year that haven't even heard of the words original or individual, yet somebody decides to say that about Anathema, who are some of the most inspired musicians around?

the reason it reminds you of other musicians is because they don't feel comfortable diving into avant-garde i think. no need to be so cynical about them
27.07.2010 - 23:42
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Slyfang on 27.07.2010 at 22:26

Uh.. lacking originality and individuality.. what the fuck? there are thousands of metal releases every year that haven't even heard of the words original or individual, yet somebody decides to say that about Anathema, who are some of the most inspired musicians around?

swell. but thousands of metal releases aren't being reviewed in the above article. only the new Anathema. so i don't see how the others factor in. do you think the reviewer gives other albums a pass? perhaps you should read some of his other reviews...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.07.2010 - 21:56
InnerSelf
proofread free
The best words to describe this album as it is full of emotions that are carried out perfectly yet missing the originality factor
tbh I was surprised with this review since we are accustomed to your cynical "bashing with style" reviews
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
29.07.2010 - 01:50
ravendeath

Written by BitterCOld on 27.07.2010 at 23:42

Written by Slyfang on 27.07.2010 at 22:26

swell. but thousands of metal releases aren't being reviewed in the above article. only the new Anathema. so i don't see how the others factor in. do you think the reviewer gives other albums a pass? perhaps you should read some of his other reviews...

I've read some of his reviews. Some are good and nice reviews, but the review of Anathema (WAHBWAH) and especially My Dying Bride's review are shame for this site, because you simply can't agree with it, even if you hate the style or band. He should make his own blog and write there this kind of reviews.
29.07.2010 - 02:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by ravendeath on 29.07.2010 at 01:50

I've read some of his reviews. Some are good and nice reviews, but the review of Anathema (WAHBWAH) and especially My Dying Bride's review are shame for this site, because you simply can't agree with it, even if you hate the style or band. He should make his own blog and write there this kind of reviews.

You've read some of his reviews. Have you read this one? I'm not trying to offend you here, but the review doesn't seem all that negative to me, to be honest. Yes, Jupi points out what are in his opinion flaws in the album, but he also points out the positive aspects of this album.

And ehm, please remember a review is nothing more than an opinion, explained in detail and with arguments to back up said opinion. This particular piece fully adheres to all that. What do you mean with 'you simply can't agree with it'? You as an individual can't agree with it? Or the entirety of mankind can't agree with it? Why not? Because music and what is good and what is not is all about facts... ? I sure as hell agree with his review of the last MDB album (haven't heard this Anathema album), so I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.07.2010 - 03:39
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

it's a shame because every word of this review are not worshipful of this release?

"you simply can't agree with it" - YOU cannot. don't speak for me. don't speak for others as well. it seems that several posters above you agreed with his take as well.

sorry not everyone shares your tastes in music.

as i stated on (another) review when (another) poster whined and cried about (another) reviewer's opinion... rather than bitch, cry, whine, and scream like a child because someone's assessment of an album does not match your own, whether for good or for ill, write your own review explaining why you like/dislike the album.

the shame to this site is not the reviewer stating his opinion.

the shame to this website is that various users cannot fathom that tastes and appreciations differ.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.07.2010 - 08:45
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.07.2010 at 13:55

Good review. Totally agreed. Now let the fanboys and girls come in and start their crying.

I haven't heard this album (only one song, "Angels Among Us", which I think is great); so I can't give any feedback on the review. It can be right or wrong. But I just want to state that as much as people have the right to criticise any band or any album; others have the right to defend the music they like. Bashing the lovers of one band as "fan boys" is as bad in my opinion as bashing those who hate it as "untrue metalheads" or whatever.
Anyway, as an Anathema fan, I hope the reviewer is wrong. But in case he is right I will hold my tears or maybe go and cry alone in the toilet!
29.07.2010 - 09:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 29.07.2010 at 08:45

I haven't heard this album (only one song, "Angels Among Us", which I think is great); so I can't give any feedback on the review. It can be right or wrong. But I just want to state that as much as people have the right to criticise any band or any album; others have the right to defend the music they like. Bashing the lovers of one band as "fan boys" is as bad in my opinion as bashing those who hate it as "untrue metalheads" or whatever.
Anyway, as an Anathema fan, I hope the reviewer is wrong. But in case he is right I will hold my tears or maybe go and cry alone in the toilet!

"In other words, besides some uncomfortable spoken word parts, this is uniformly and undeniably an album with music that can only be described as beautiful."

he just implies they no longer blaze their own trail, but are content to allow themselves to be significantly influenced by other acts.

at no point did he say "this album sucks"... but too many folks are simply looking for the negatives in what is, overall, a positive review of the album.

of course, a huge chunk of metalstormers think everything ever put to print is 9+ and anyone who has a slightly disparaging remark against an artist they like is horrible and biased.
----

29.07.2010 - 14:33
InnerSelf
proofread free
This is indeed a positive review because Jupitreas focuses both on the good and bad aspects while describing the good parts with such words as "beautiful , moving and emotional"
so for me this was rather an odd review to read coming from Jupitreas nonetheless a spot on review
----
is not bold enough
29.07.2010 - 16:59
Rating: 10
Werewulf

Well... To be honest, I don't really agree with what you said in this review.
It's a long time that Anathema has changed the style of their music. So Why should we nag on their music? If you'd look at the album a lil more realistic, you might understand that it is a very great album.
They are no more DOOM METAL or DOOM/DEATH METAL... Now, they are a rock band. An Atmospheric Rock band.
So think of the album as an Atmospheric Rock album. Not as a Doom Death metal.
Anyway...
Nowadays, who ever makes a song, the song may be close to another song. Then u accuse them that they have STOLEN the other song style... Which is not true...
Also, if you like Punk Rock, you don't write songs like Burzum or Mayhem!! It is clear that your interests affect u!
Now blame all on Anathema and call them noob and lame! And say "Boyfans and girls come and cry" to prove ur pure stupidity!
----
Exista un sambure de adevar in toate... [ There is a seed of truth in everything...] - A Romanian proverb.
29.07.2010 - 23:23
ravendeath

Written by Lucas on 29.07.2010 at 02:55

You've read some of his reviews. Have you read this one? I'm not trying to offend you here, but the review doesn't seem all that negative to me, to be honest. Yes, Jupi points out what are in his opinion flaws in the album, but he also points out the positive aspects of this album.

And ehm, please remember a review is nothing more than an opinion, explained in detail and with arguments to back up said opinion. This particular piece fully adheres to all that. What do you mean with 'you simply can't agree with it'? You as an individual can't agree with it? Or the entirety of mankind can't agree with it? Why not? Because music and what is good and what is not is all about facts... ? I sure as hell agree with his review of the last MDB album (haven't heard this Anathema album), so I don't really understand what you're trying to say here.

Now let me explain: yes the review of "We Are Here..." it's not negative, but the words like "Beautiful but with a catch, like that female friend of yours who wears way too much makeup and spends a ridiculous amount of money on designer clothes that she sees MTV starlets wearing. Genuinely pretty though she may be, on the outside she merely looks fake and shallow. Similarly, Anathema also needs to emerge from beneath the layers of hero-worship in order for their true worth to be evident", are simply ridiculous. Name me one band in todays metal or whatsoever genre who could not be described with the exact same words? If this description fits for Anathema, then it should fit for almost every single band I listened to in the last 20 years. And the MDB review is simply so cynical, that is a litle to much. This is the music about nothing else than a fucking emotion, not about tehnical majesty or things like that (I see MDB like professionals, but this is not the case here). What I want to say is that you can't judge albums like that only on the superficial basis, try to get in the mood of music and than write a review, even if you don't like it. I have nothing against negative reviews of the music that I like, but not the ones with void arguments.
29.07.2010 - 23:32
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by ravendeath on 29.07.2010 at 23:23

Now let me explain: yes the review of "We Are Here..." it's not negative, but the words like "Beautiful but with a catch, like that female friend of yours who wears way too much makeup and spends a ridiculous amount of money on designer clothes that she sees MTV starlets wearing. Genuinely pretty though she may be, on the outside she merely looks fake and shallow. Similarly, Anathema also needs to emerge from beneath the layers of hero-worship in order for their true worth to be evident", are simply ridiculous. Name me one band in todays metal or whatsoever genre who could not be described with the exact same words? If this description fits for Anathema, then it should fit for almost every single band I listened to in the last 20 years.

That doesn't matter at all. In certain cases, a lack of originality can be a huge moodkiller, in others it doesn't matter at all. It's all about the reviewers interpretation. By the way, there are plenty, and I really mean plenty of bands that do unique and original things, believe me. I don't know what bands you are listening to, but when I look at my 700+ cd's I have a lot of original music in front of me.

Quote:
And the MDB review is simply so cynical, that is a litle to much. This is the music about nothing else than a fucking emotion, not about tehnical majesty or things like that (I see MDB like professionals, but this is not the case here). What I want to say is that you can't judge albums like that only on the superficial basis, try to get in the mood of music and than write a review, even if you don't like it. I have nothing against negative reviews of the music that I like, but not the ones with void arguments.

It'd really be better if we'd discuss this in the MDB review, but ok, one reply from my side. The MDB review is cynical, yes, but the arguments still stand. A lot of MDB music sounds fake & plastic to me, too. You can of course argue most of my fav. extreme doom sounds dumb and fake, and hey, that's the beauty of opinions. No ones right or wrong.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
29.07.2010 - 23:52
ravendeath

Written by Lucas on 29.07.2010 at 23:32

Written by ravendeath on 29.07.2010 at 23:23

Now let me explain: yes the review of "We Are Here..." it's not negative, but the words like "Beautiful but with a catch, like that female friend of yours who wears way too much makeup and spends a ridiculous amount of money on designer clothes that she sees MTV starlets wearing. Genuinely pretty though she may be, on the outside she merely looks fake and shallow. Similarly, Anathema also needs to emerge from beneath the layers of hero-worship in order for their true worth to be evident", are simply ridiculous. Name me one band in todays metal or whatsoever genre who could not be described with the exact same words? If this description fits for Anathema, then it should fit for almost every single band I listened to in the last 20 years.

That doesn't matter at all. In certain cases, a lack of originality can be a huge moodkiller, in others it doesn't matter at all. It's all about the reviewers interpretation. By the way, there are plenty, and I really mean plenty of bands that do unique and original things, believe me. I don't know what bands you are listening to, but when I look at my 700+ cd's I have a lot of original music in front of me.

OK. Name me a few of them...
29.07.2010 - 23:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Through PM. Give me a minute.
----

30.07.2010 - 00:10
InnerSelf
proofread free
And Esoteric shall be on the top of the list
I know this is off-topic but really what bands did you run into to not find originality
----
is not bold enough
30.07.2010 - 00:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by InnerSelf on 30.07.2010 at 00:10

And Esoteric shall be on the top of the list
I know this is off-topic but really what bands did you run into to not find originality

haha no I simply started at A from my collection's list and gave him about 7 or 8 albums I thought were worthwile. didn't manage to reach E. now let's return to the review.
----

30.07.2010 - 01:11
Daniell
_爱情_

The force is strong in this one. He sees the future!

Seriously, seeing how people go as far as bash others on account of different musical tasted makes me laugh. You love the album, fine, but try to live with the fact that someone loves it a bit less than you and sees faults that your fanboy eyes never will see.
30.07.2010 - 02:07
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by ravendeath on 29.07.2010 at 23:52

bullshit

You've got an example of an original band in your avatar.

BTW - I bash albums that deserve it but never in a way that doesnt contain information for the band how they can improve. This album is enjoyable and i'm an Anathema fan but it is hugely unoriginal and this is a shame. how a guy who claims to be 35 years old and a FOTN fan is unable to realize that something is unoriginal is beyond me. You certainly bring shame to FOTN fans around the world with your lack of intelligence.
30.07.2010 - 03:58
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 29.07.2010 at 09:23

Written by Guest on 29.07.2010 at 08:45

"In other words, besides some uncomfortable spoken word parts, this is uniformly and undeniably an album with music that can only be described as beautiful."

he just implies they no longer blaze their own trail, but are content to allow themselves to be significantly influenced by other acts.

at no point did he say "this album sucks"... but too many folks are simply looking for the negatives in what is, overall, a positive review of the album.

of course, a huge chunk of metalstormers think everything ever put to print is 9+ and anyone who has a slightly disparaging remark against an artist they like is horrible and biased.

You make valid points. What I wanted to say is that people are equally entitled to criticise or defend an album (whether this is related to the beauty of the album for itself or its originality or anything else) without being bashed.
30.07.2010 - 11:45
Deadsoulman

Quote:
Written by Guest on 30.07.2010 at 03:58

You make valid points. What I wanted to say is that people are equally entitled to criticise or defend an album (whether this is related to the beauty of the album for itself or its originality or anything else) without being bashed.

There is a huge difference between someone who genuinely likes an album and disagrees with a review for valid reasons and someone who just goes "review is shit, reviewer has a small weenie, X is the best band ever, this album is a 10, best thing evah, if you don't like don't review". Unfortunately we usually get twice as much of the second option for reviews of famous bands. That's what I and I guess also Marcel meant by "fanboys".

Hits total: 11449 | This month: 21