Metal Storm logo
Please help me choose a guitar

Original post

Posted by Giza, 28.07.2010 - 17:34
Hi, I'm a complete guitar n00b and I want to buy a first electric guitar. I've been looking around and found these three:

Jackson js32t rhoads

Epiphone Gothic Explorer

Ibanez RGR321EX-BK

Which one should I get and are they any good for a beginner? Any help or advice is welcome!
01.10.2010 - 17:30
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Congratulations on the new guitar man, and may i say excellent choice ...
if MH-50 is a really good guitar.. and after a few years if you need to upgrade you will not need a new guitar, you could just install new pickups.

so, about the strings thing .. the strings that come with the guitar are usually old, rusty, and have been 'tried' in the store hundreds of times before you bought it ... first thing you should do when u get a guitar is to replace the strings.. and you'll have a nice sound and strings lasting for like 3 months (depending on how frequent you play)
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
02.10.2010 - 16:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Giza on 01.10.2010 at 15:09

So I settled with a MH50NT link . I just went to the store, tried it, and really liked it. I've been practicing for a while, and broke 3 strings in a week. It must be my clumsiness and not the guitars fault.

That guitar is a beauty, especially for a beginner! You're very lucky! xD

Zombie is right. Lots of people have probably been trying it out, also the shop probably dont put top quality strings on their show guitars. I'm merciless with my strings and they last me several months usually! hehe
02.10.2010 - 22:37
ANGEL REAPER
Anyway its not important what you have but how do you use it!
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
03.10.2010 - 02:26
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
If you have a 50euros brandless guitar you'd be lucky if you can get sound out of it at all ...
----

03.10.2010 - 11:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 03.10.2010 at 02:26

If you have a 50euros brandless guitar you'd be lucky if you can get sound out of it at all ...

My first guitar was brandless and very cheap. And it served me just fine when I was starting out. lol
03.10.2010 - 16:46
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Thanks
*embaressed* lol
----

03.10.2010 - 20:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 03.10.2010 at 16:46

Thanks
*embaressed* lol

Thanks for what?

Haha! xD

I cant even remember the brand of my first guitar, it was so crappy.
30.10.2010 - 02:45
Lachy
Account deleted
Well I have been playing guitar for a year now and my first guitar is an ESP LTD f-50 in black cherry. Good guitar for the money. I'm not a fan of the RGs at all. When I played them they just didn't feel right. I think the Ibanez S are amazing to play. As for jackson i couldn't judge because i haven't played many. They do look cool though. The Gothic explorer is a great guitar for the money too. Its all up to what feels good to you. Don't let others tell you what is better or worse.
30.10.2010 - 04:04
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
@ Lachy: he already got the guitar ... we should probably notify the staff to lock this thread
----

30.10.2010 - 04:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie on 30.10.2010 at 04:04

@ Lachy: he already got the guitar

Exactly what I was going to say! hehe
12.11.2010 - 14:38
Luneth
Account deleted
Get a standard beginners guitar...they're usually strats similar to the one Jimi Hendrix and Eric Johnson used to play (you can buy them for like90 quid in argos )

have fun.
12.11.2010 - 16:47
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
First of all, he already bought LTD MH-50 Guitar (which is way better than beginners strat), secondly strats suck, either beginner ones or even intermediate models, def. not for metal (leave iron miden out of it, Adrian smith is an exception)
----

09.01.2011 - 18:49
X1 I second that Zombie!

The LTD Viper - 50 has surprised me for a cheap Made in Indonesia guitar.

Guitars I have owned and own ;

BC Rich Gunslinger -USA
Bc Rich Iron Bird-USA
Charvel 650 - Japan
Charvel Flying V- Japan
Yamaha RGX 320FZ- China or Korea?
Ibanez RGR420EX
Fender Strat 1980-Japan

To be honest the LTD Viper 50 is my favourite guitar that I own right now it plays better than
a lot of US and Jap made guitars.

Find a used LTD Viper 50 and a used Seymore Duncan Invader pickup for the bridge position
and that thing will grind your face off if plugged into a decent amp...:banger2:
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxOY6s5Xbas
15.01.2011 - 13:40
Good guitar, I'm jealous! my first was an ibanez gio, about $350 aus, some dodgy shit model. not a great guitar, but if your just starting out you don't need a fantastic guitar. you have done well!

and if the strings are that rusty old and rusty, you might like to consider cleaning the fretboard. you wont need to if it hasn't been used much though. good luck with it! it should serve you well!
16.01.2011 - 17:10
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Zombie on 03.10.2010 at 02:26

http//www.myspace.com/mydeadgirlfriendserbia
Hear how this cheap guitar of mine make the sond of "Satan raping your momma's ass"(Not meant to offend,its just the way one of my friend described it,although its crappy production )
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"