03. Strength Beyond Strength
04. Domination/Hollow
05. Slaughtered
06. Fucking Hostile
07. This Love
08. Mouth For War
09. Cowboys From Hell

Additional info
Remastered and reissued by Rhino Entertainment on the 25th of March 2014 as a 20th anniversary edition with a bonus CD.

Guest review by
Maccas
Rating:
Once upon a time in a far-far away land lived innocent people guided by their beloved divinities - Gentleness, Kindness and Softness. These people lead pastoral innocent life, shared intimate closeness with nature and with themselves. Everything around them was a pretext for love and kindness. But, as they grew in number, they discovered they had to import goods from the other lands surrounding their peaceful country. And thus they did , at first afraid by the ignonimous stories about the barbaric habits of "the outlanders", but finally, reluctantly releaved as they were by the precise advice from their divinites on the specific goods and countries to get them from.

Read more ››
published 02.09.2003 | Comments (14)

Guest review by
SuicidalCyco
Rating:
Pantera. A band that self put out four albums in the 1980's. Most people who listen to them probably do not know that about them. With the 1990 release of Cowboys From Hell Pantera moved from their glam/speed metal to a heavier groove thrash. And after the release of their powerful Vulgar Display Of Power they seemed to be on top of the metal community and many fans thought they could never top that album.

Read more ››
published 30.01.2013 | Comments (7)

The first CD I ever bought was Far Beyond Driven all the way back in 1994 when I was 13 and just hitting puberty. Back then this was the most brutal thing I had heard in my entire life and this album would become the one album that would define my musical taste up until this day and age. From the initial onslaught of opener "Strength Beyond Strength", through the grooves of "Becoming" and "5 Minutes Alone", leading to "I'm Broken" which probably have the grooviest riff ever written, to the psychotic "Good Friends And A Bottle Of Pills", my mind was blown and we weren't even at the midpoint yet. Half-way through we got "Slaughtered", the most brutal song they've written without losing even an ounce of the grooviness which permeates the entire album. And then we have "Shedding Skin", the highlight of the album and the one song that made me fall in love with metal music. Without namedropping every song I can only state that there are no fillers on this album and to round things up we get a soothing cover of Black Sabbath's "Planet Caravan" to calm us down before we press Play again and give it another go.

When speaking of Pantera albums people are most likely bound to mention Vulgar Display Of Power and Cowboys From Hell but Far Beyond Driven shouldn't be overlooked. This is the grooviest Pantera album and the one who really steals the spotlight here is Vinnie Paul who delivers some of his best drumming ever. So what are you waiting for? Press that Play button now.

Nejde's picks | More picks ››

Found in 33 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 15   Visited by: 1005 users
28.07.2010 - 18:09
Rating: 8
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Although this album is mostly great, "Good Friends And A Bottle Of Pills" is without doubt, one of the most ridiculously pointless "songs" Ive ever heard. And is IMO Pantera's worst ever song. Even a lot of their songs from the glam days slay this one!

Anyways, songs like "Strength Beyond Strength", "Slaughtered", and "5 Minutes Alone", show Pantera at their punishing best. xD My 2 fave songs on this album though, are the cruelly underrated "Shedding Skin", and the awesome "Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks", which contains another of my fave Dimebag solos. Another couple of fillers like "25 Years" drag the album down, even though none of them are as woeful as "Good Friends"... But then not much is! lol
28.07.2010 - 20:06
Rating: 7
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 18:09

Although this album is mostly great, "Good Friends And A Bottle Of Pills" is without doubt, one of the most ridiculously pointless "songs" Ive ever heard. And is IMO Pantera's worst ever song. Even a lot of their songs from the glam days slay this one!

Anyways, songs like "Strength Beyond Strength", "Slaughtered", and "5 Minutes Alone", show Pantera at their punishing best. xD My 2 fave songs on this album though, are the cruelly underrated "Shedding Skin", and the awesome "Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks", which contains another of my fave Dimebag solos. Another couple of fillers like "25 Years" drag the album down, even though none of them are as woeful as "Good Friends"... But then not much is! lol

It's funny how this and Sarcofago's Hate were released the same year. Both have a pointless cacophonous track (for Sarcofago, it's The Beggar's Uprising).

Otherwise I agree somewhat, except that the groove style gets a bit stale after a while.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
28.07.2010 - 23:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 28.07.2010 at 20:06
It's funny how this and Sarcofago's Hate were released the same year. Both have a pointless cacophonous track (for Sarcofago, it's The Beggar's Uprising).

Otherwise I agree somewhat, except that the groove style gets a bit stale after a while.

Ive never heard that song, but if it's anything like "Good Friends And A Bottle Of Pills", I dont want to! Phil must have been totally off his face when he wrote those lyrics, or I hope he was.

I think any style gets stale after a while... I listen to lots of different styles anyways, so I never have a chance to get bored with one particular style. lol
29.07.2010 - 00:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 23:16

Written by vezzy on 28.07.2010 at 20:06

Ive never heard that song, but if it's anything like "Good Friends And A Bottle Of Pills", I dont want to! Phil must have been totally off his face when he wrote those lyrics, or I hope he was.

I think any style gets stale after a while... I listen to lots of different styles anyways, so I never have a chance to get bored with one particular style. lol

Nah, it's just that it kind of lacks something. I can't quite put my finger on it, but they seemed to have realized this when making TGSTK.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
09.03.2012 - 05:39
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I am not a fan of Pantera but this is the only album I can stomach. 5 Minutes Alone is awesome.
----
rekt
11.11.2012 - 18:15
megadeath13
Account deleted
Its not as great as the previous but its very good. "Strength beyond Strength", "Becoming" and "5 Minutes alone are awesome but the rest is not that great
03.04.2013 - 19:29
Metropolis_Dream
Account deleted
Not as perfect as "Vulgar" but it kicks ass too. "Becoming" and "5 Minutes alone" are still one of my favourite Pantera songs.
10.04.2014 - 06:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 18:09

I would agree it isn't a "song" in the style of their songs. But that is one song I really come back to in this album a lot. I haven't heard any of their glam metal albums but I find that song addictive especially for the groove. Far from their worst song ever IMO.
12.07.2015 - 07:49
Rating: 6
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I'd be happy to never hear "Good Friends and a Bottle of Pills" again. Overall, a disappointing album for me, especially after the very good album that came before it. I couple of songs kick tail but too many mediocre songs that are forgettable. Don't mind the cover of "Planet Caravan", which is quite faithful to the original song but still sounds cool. An unexpected ending to the album.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
01.03.2016 - 01:26
musclassia

It's strange, back in the day when I listened to Pantera a lot this was my least favourite of their 90s albums. However, having not listened to them in a while, I felt like giving them a go today and got drawn back to this one. Ended up being a decent album for working out to. It's also a lot less front-loaded than I used to think - used to zone out after 'Slaughtered' ended but I think 'Use My Third Arm' might be the best song on the album along with Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks, and I dug 'Throes of Rejection' and 'Shedding Skin' more than I can previously rmeember. Not a great album but a fun exercise in aggression that's more unrefined and obviously hooky than Vulgar Display Of Power, but after so long, is actually perhaps slightly more appealing to me right now because of that.
13.01.2018 - 00:26
DeathMetal

Really great album. Love the Sabbath cover, great way to end the journey.
27.10.2018 - 22:20
Angelic Man
Account deleted
This album is horrible. I don't even like the album covers. They show skeletons and a drill shoved up your anus. Not to mention Phil Anselmo is a swearing machine. Language aside, they songs are bad. I'm Broken goes to show how miserable they are, 25 Years goes against Honor Thy Mother and Father, for they love you. Use My Third Arm is an anti-police song. Don't the police beat up bad guys? All of these songs are bad and aggressive and I can't trust they won't warp my pure mind. The worst of the worst has to be S'd! They criticize Jesus and teach you how to worship Satan and S in his name. I saw in an interview that Phil Anselmo wants to build religion up to tear it down. How could that friggin idiot do such a thing? How must he be feeling to do this? So I ask you all to boycott this Satanic album and instead listen to the pure old Glam albums (excluding the I am The Night title track and D trap).
05.04.2019 - 17:33
Ralle

After masterpiece Vulgar Display Of Power this album was big disappointment.
18.09.2021 - 02:54
Rating: 5
Blackcrowe

The lyrics are really dumb
----
Maybe as his eyes are wide.
10.04.2023 - 16:44
Pablo

IMO the album in general lacks of the straightf-forward and cleaner riffs and hooks that made its predecessors so great. It also has a couple of fillers as well. Without a doubt it has very powerful songs, but after CFH and VDOP, in the ever-growing grunge-scene, the bar was really high for PANTERA.
Good but not great.

Hits total: 18119 | This month: 79