06. Procession To Golgatha
07. Christ Passion
08. Conjuration
09. Bombenhagel
10. Outbreak Of Evil [bonus]
11. Sodomy And Lust [bonus]
12. The Conqueror [bonus]
13. My Atonement [bonus]

In the history of Metal there have been quite a few bands for whom Metal was more than just playing loud. Metal was an outlet for not just bringing out their pent-up frustrations but also taking on political and social issues. Sodom is one such band. Formed in 1982 they have come a long way from being regarded as a "second-rate Venom with semi-inventive lyrics" to becoming an enormously influential Thrash Metal band. Well, staying on the topic of being regarded as a "second-rate Venom," it was justified to consider them as such during the early stages of their career. All of this would change with the inclusion of their new guitar player - Frank "Blackfire" Gosdzik. He had succeeded in convincing Tom Angelripper to change the lyrical direction of Sodom and to embrace political, social and war themes. This would culminate into Persecution Mania in 1987. The infamous gas-masked mascot of Sodom - "Knarrenheinz" would also make his debut appearance here.

The album opens with "Nuclear Winter" and judging by the lyrics of that song it is no wonder that "Knarrenheinz" made his appearance in the album cover! "Electrocution" gives a vivid description of the executioner's sadistic thoughts while carrying out the execution. The title song "Persecution Mania" gives a gory account of the Vietnam War and you can almost conjure images of those Green Berets who, stressed by the horrors of war, end up killing the very people they were sent to assist and protect. Sodom lives up to its Biblical reputation in "Christ Passion." "Enchanted Land" is a tricky story about the Holy Land land of Israel and the sufferings that the Hebrews had to endure throughout the centuries. I, personally, believe that "Bombenhagel" is the best song in this album and maybe the best ever song written by Sodom and I think many would agree with me! What I really love about this song is that it gives a rather twisted version of the Battle of Britain and it ends with an equally twisted version of the German National Anthem; for history students like me it is all but a delightful feast!

When people talk of Sodom they generally speak of Agent Orange and while that album is a classic, it wouldn't have been possible had it not been for the critically acclaimed Persecution Mania. It was with Persecution Mania that it all started, be it with the lyrics or with the music.

In Loving Memory of Chris Witchhunter [R.I.P]

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Hermann Langke | 29.07.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 151 users
29.07.2010 - 14:44
Rating: 9
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Thanks to the Staff!
29.07.2010 - 14:59
Rating: 8
vezzy
Stallmanite
Great album, but I feel this doesn't live up to your previous reviews. Besides, it's yet another one we've already heard about countless times.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
29.07.2010 - 15:02
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 14:59

Great album, but I feel this doesn't live up to your previous reviews. Besides, it's yet another one we've already heard about countless times.

Oh! Thank You! I will try to improve myself! Come on Persecution Mania isn't widely known. I think it is quite under-rated.
29.07.2010 - 15:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Hermann Langke on 29.07.2010 at 15:02

Oh! Thank You! I will try to improve myself! Come on Persecution Mania isn't widely known. I think it is quite under-rated.

Not really. It's very well known, if you ask me. Beginner's metal staple. Try something UNKNOWN. =]
----
29.07.2010 - 16:57
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 15:06

Not really. It's very well known, if you ask me. Beginner's metal staple. Try something UNKNOWN. =]

Mortis, you are speaking like as if I am new to Metal and let me tell you that I am not.
29.07.2010 - 17:04
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Hermann Langke on 29.07.2010 at 16:57

Mortis, you are speaking like as if I am new to Metal and let me tell you that I am not.

That isn't my real name. I made it up. Never give out personal info to human databases like Facebook. I registered for a different reason.

Never said you were.
----
29.07.2010 - 17:07
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 17:04

That isn't my real name. I made it up. Never give out personal info to human databases like Facebook. I registered for a different reason.

Never said you were.

Speaking of FB, please accept my request. Then why did you call it beginner's metal staple?
29.07.2010 - 17:10
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Hermann Langke on 29.07.2010 at 17:07

Never said you were.

Speaking of FB, please accept my request. Then why did you call it beginner's metal staple?

Mostly because it's part of the Teutonic thrash metal trio classics. AKA, the popular thrash besides Big Four and Exodus/Testament (Bay Area).

Not that it's a bad thing. They're classics and deserve reviews, including to interest newcomers.
----
31.07.2010 - 09:46
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by vezzy on 29.07.2010 at 17:10

Written by Hermann Langke on 29.07.2010 at 17:07

Never said you were.

Mostly because it's part of the Teutonic thrash metal trio classics. AKA, the popular thrash besides Big Four and Exodus/Testament (Bay Area).

Not that it's a bad thing. They're classics and deserve reviews, including to interest newcomers.

Vezzy you are kind of being arrogant in your tone. I do know about METAL, my friend. Just being from a place that's not conducive to Metal doesn't mean that I know nothing about Metal.
24.10.2011 - 05:03
JÄY
Metal slave
Quote:
Quote:

Vezzy you are kind of being arrogant in your tone. I do know about METAL, my friend. Just being from a place that's not conducive to Metal doesn't mean that I know nothing about Metal.

He was just sincerily trying to tell you that it is a pretty popular album...which it is. It is not NUMBER OF THE BEAST, but a pretty well known one, ya know?
24.10.2011 - 11:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by JÄY on 24.10.2011 at 05:03
He was just sincerily trying to tell you that it is a pretty popular album...which it is. It is not NUMBER OF THE BEAST, but a pretty well known one, ya know?

You're over a year late for the party.
----
24.10.2011 - 19:34
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by vezzy on 24.10.2011 at 11:11

Written by JÄY on 24.10.2011 at 05:03

You're over a year late for the party.

Youre kind of annoying
25.10.2011 - 16:02
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by JÄY on 24.10.2011 at 19:34
Youre kind of annoying

I'm just saying the post was written over a year ago, so he's gotten it by then. Whatever though.
----

Hits total: 6125 | This month: 9