04. Buried Alive
05. Natural Born Killer
06. So Far Away
07. God Hates Us
08. Victim
09. Tonight The World Dies
10. Fiction
11. Save Me

Frankly, this album sucks. It really does. I had never listened to A7X before and going in to the review I had hoped it would at least be decent.

It's not.

I could list everything that I thought was wrong with this album, but apparently it'd be too long for most of your ADD-addled brains to handle. So here's the short version.

I figured out about three minutes in it's basically the same blueprint as Metallica, only modernized. Radio-friendly rock music with enough of a metal edge to convince angsty teenagers it's "dangerous" or something.

The album has more ballads than a "Best of Aerosmith Since '88" box set and even during aggressive songs the band still finds time to pop their testicles back in Warner Music's purse and wuss out. The closest thing this album has to an start-to-finish aggressive song is "God Hate's Us" ? outside of a useless breakdown in the middle... but even four minutes of distortion is too edgy for the accountants, so this otherwise pretty decent song has to close with a clean outro.

Hetfield-esq barking for verses, with an annoying almost nasal second vocal style used all too frequently, with catchy choruses. The dude at least has a decent voice when he doesn't switch to the annoying tone. The guitarist has some chops.

But ultimately the entire album feels more like a creation of what a Record Exec's idea of a (highly profitable) metal album should sound like, rather than what a metal enthusiast is likely to think a metal album should be. I guess the suits knew what they were doing, as apparently this was the top "purchased" album on iTunes last week.

But I imagine their target audience is certainly not the MetalStorm audience. I don't like it. And I imagine the vast majority of you won't either.

Avoid like the plague.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 9

Written on 31.07.2010 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments page 6 / 6

Comments: 172   Visited by: 869 users
02.04.2012 - 18:20
Rating: 10
BlindToNegotiate

Quote:
It's really quite annoying. I mean, I can understand from a newcomer's point of view that someone stating an opinion as fact (This album is awesome!) looks like some kind of elitist attempt at making everyone think the same thing.

Well as I already said, you have to excuse me, as I am new to the whole forum scene and metalstorm community (your statement was spot on- I just saw these statements here as very a elitist view).

Given some time though, I should catch on soon!
02.04.2012 - 20:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.04.2012 at 17:05
It's really quite annoying. I mean, I can understand from a newcomer's point of view that someone stating an opinion as fact (This album is awesome!) looks like some kind of elitist attempt at making everyone think the same thing.

But people who are familiar with the Internet should know better. Not every single post requires an "imo" or whatever.

I tend to just put "imo" in most posts where I state a point of view purely to stave off aggravated comments like many of the ones shown in this thread. It doesn't require it, but I'd rather save myself the annoyance of having to argue with people who are trying to put words in my mouth.

@BlindToNegotiate: Once you've been on messageboards for a while, it becomes easier to spot elitist comments from simply personal opinions. lol
02.04.2012 - 20:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BlindToNegotiate on 02.04.2012 at 18:20
Given some time though, I should catch on soon!

Honestly it won't take you long to differentiate. We have resident elitists as much as we have resident... experimentalists? And not only do you get to know posting habits of the community, but of specific users.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.04.2012 - 20:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.04.2012 at 20:34
It doesn't require it, but I'd rather save myself from having to argue with people who try to put words in my mouth.

But arguing can be so much fun! Sometimes you get the best out of people that way. Or the worst, but most of the time it's a risk I feel is worth taking.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.04.2012 - 20:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.04.2012 at 20:37
But arguing can be so much fun! Sometimes you get the best out of people that way. Or the worst, but most of the time it's a risk I feel is worth taking.

I can see what you mean. I have had some meaningful and productive arguements on here the same as I've had pointless and stupid ones. The latter almost exclusively happens only with elitists or fanboys though.
02.04.2012 - 21:44
BlindToNegotiate

@Troy Killjoy & Angelic Storm: thanks for the heads up! I look forward to both the productive and pointless elitist arguments.
02.04.2012 - 21:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BlindToNegotiate on 02.04.2012 at 21:44

@Troy Killjoy & Angelic Storm: thanks for the heads up! I look forward to both the productive and pointless elitist arguments.

No, don't look forward to the pointless ones, they are no fun at all! Well, maybe some people find them fun, but for me they are annoying and monotonous.
03.04.2012 - 15:43
BlindToNegotiate

Quote:
No, don't look forward to the pointless ones, they are no fun at all! Well, maybe some people find them fun, but for me they are annoying and monotonous.

Well I guess only time will tell how obnoxious they'll turn out!
28.05.2012 - 02:47
Nemo Atkins

This was my first metalcore record (basically, got it as I had some free time before an audition along with Born In The USA by Bruce Springsteen for £10: I chose it because the cover art looked cool and it was in the offer). I only like the title track, Welcome to the Family and Victim, if only because those are the only songs I have on semi-regular replay. I don't listen to the other songs much, but there are some redeeming qualities to them that I've recently rediscovered (Danger Line is kind of cool and has a catchy chorus, for example). While I do disagree with the review, I think that BC has a few fair points (if put a bit too harshly): M Shadows does have a nasal voice which can grate on the ears (and I'm saying this as a guy who likes bits of A7X: namely, Unholy Confessions, Bat Country, Dear God and the previously mentioned) and this album does have more ballads than most metal albums (although, considering the album was a tribute to a fallen member of the band, that is understandable).
12.01.2013 - 15:25
Nimlot
A. Reader
Written by Got Mayhem? on 31.07.2010 at 06:47

Now, my high horse and I have some Blind Guardian to listen to so we'll be riding off now thank you very much.

I haven't posted on MetalStorm in years, I visit all the time to check updates, news, concert dates, reviews and keep up my collection and ratings (MetalStorm is awesome!), however, I just had to say this comment made my day.
To provide some possibly unnecessary context, allow me to elaborate. I only read this review because, after introducing my flatmate to Opeth he said they reminded him of Avenged Sevenfold. To this I replied by blasting Blind Guardian as loud as possible to drown out the torrent of utter shit spewing from his mouth.
Good day.
27.08.2013 - 08:41
metalbrat

I really don't understand why someone who is reviewing for MS is totally against 'metalcore' genre. If thats the case why the reviewer can't ask MS not to include metalcore albums in it's list hereafter?. I feel like some people wanna show others that they have a greater IQ level if they listen only to heavier metal versions and if they listen to 'metallica' like music they will be considered as less 'metalhead'. This album is really a good one and I rate it as high as 8 and I don't care what others think about me.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
27.08.2013 - 11:41
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by metalbrat on 27.08.2013 at 08:41

I really don't understand why someone who is reviewing for MS is totally against 'metalcore' genre. If thats the case why the reviewer can't ask MS not to include metalcore albums in it's list hereafter?. I feel like some people wanna show others that they have a greater IQ level if they listen only to heavier metal versions and if they listen to 'metallica' like music they will be considered as less 'metalhead'. This album is really a good one and I rate it as high as 8 and I don't care what others think about me.

I don't think that genres have anything to do with the rating the album was given. It's simply a deeply mediocre album that offers almost nothing interesting to the listener. I can see why it's very popular, but its popularity doesn't make it better. It's unoriginal, painfully repetitive and completely uninspired. In other words, it's a perfect product for mass audience. The rating of 5.5 is the most generous I can imagine. Bitter was slightly harsher, and I can't blame him.
28.08.2013 - 20:29
Uldreth

This isn't metalcore though, they stopped being metalcore after Waking The Fallen.

Which doesn't really matter, just saying cause this throws the "metalcore" bias out of the window.

In fact I'd say most staffers would agree this band was much better when they were playing metalcore.
At least I like WTF a lot, it has some quite memorable songs like Chapter Four, Unholy Confessions or I Won't See You Tonight, whilst this is just bland 80s metal ripoff.
02.09.2013 - 21:01
Metagnaisse

The huge pre-release marketing built upon Rev's death is also worth mention.
Shame on A7x for such an awful album.
04.09.2013 - 13:45
metalbrat

Written by Daniell on 27.08.2013 at 11:41

Written by metalbrat on 27.08.2013 at 08:41

I don't think that genres have anything to do with the rating the album was given. It's simply a deeply mediocre album that offers almost nothing interesting to the listener. I can see why it's very popular, but its popularity doesn't make it better. It's unoriginal, painfully repetitive and completely uninspired. In other words, it's a perfect product for mass audience. The rating of 5.5 is the most generous I can imagine. Bitter was slightly harsher, and I can't blame him.

Well if you had given those rating for their new album I would have agreed completely eventhough MS fans have given them a higher rating. I heard a photocopy of 'Sad but True' of Metallica in it and another sounded like Axl Rose. And I thank you for telling that this album was perfect for mass audience. I think I have proved my point with that hoping that you would not say 'Mass audience' does not listen to music but trash. I am a part of that 'mass audience' and if they accept something as audible and re-audible then I call it music.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
04.09.2013 - 14:29
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by metalbrat on 04.09.2013 at 13:45

Well if you had given those rating for their new album I would have agreed completely eventhough MS fans have given them a higher rating. I heard a photocopy of 'Sad but True' of Metallica in it and another sounded like Axl Rose. And I thank you for telling that this album was perfect for mass audience. I think I have proved my point with that hoping that you would not say 'Mass audience' does not listen to music but trash. I am a part of that 'mass audience' and if they accept something as audible and re-audible then I call it music.

It is music, it is adeptly performed and composed. Technically there is nothing wrong with it. But nothing wrong isn't enough to impress some people
04.09.2013 - 14:55
metalbrat

Written by Daniell on 04.09.2013 at 14:29

Written by metalbrat on 04.09.2013 at 13:45

It is music, it is adeptly performed and composed. Technically there is nothing wrong with it. But nothing wrong isn't enough to impress some people

I do agree with that point of yours. Still somewhere inside I feel that some MS fan groups hate 'metalcore'..... well let's wait till another review of a metalcore album comes out.;D
----
06.09.2013 - 20:10
Rating: 4
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I published this three years ago... i still find it amusing that simply because i didn't like this album that people somehow think the entirety of the staff hate the totality of metalcore. we don't have to go through that again, do we?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.10.2013 - 06:06
DoctorDetroit

Honestly? Up until a few days ago I was no fan....Hated them, grouped them with Five Finger Crotch Punch as everything that is wrong with Metal today. But then I saw them live...

I went to the show to see GHOST, who was amazing, but I am cheap and I figured "Hey I paid for the ticket lets see what they got"

They melted my face.

Their old stuff is more aggressive (Some say MetalCore but I dont use genre's another thing that is ruining metal ) But I find them comparable to the like of Maiden and Priest. Not saying they are Maiden or Priest, but it is comparable. Big Sound, Catchy choruses and just Metal enough to be metal.

What I can say to the "haters" is this; Give the band a chance...As a metal fan, if you are a true Metal fan you will appreciate what this album and others from this band have to offer

And I know how the internet works so before anyone calls me anytype of names...Yes I like A7X, but I am also going to see High on Fire, Toxic Holocaust, Here Comes the Kraken, Slayer, Sepultura in the coming months and next year I am going to Wacken and I pray Abbath with grace me with his presence.
25.10.2017 - 15:38
Rating: 8
MeloDeathViking

I personally find this album (and most A7X albums) very enjoyable. I will agree that it is definitely nothing special, but super catchy and cheesy metal is one of my guilty pleasures. Definitely some Metallica ripoff moments on this album as well.

That being said, this review and album in particular bring up a common feeling/thought I have on the metal scene. I think this album does have several moments of great musicianship and song writing, and still generally gets shit on and torn apart on this site. Then there are some sub-genres of metal and some bands that I feel like can barely be called music, and this site seems to lose their mind over them. An example of this is The Maniacal Vale by Esoteric. I tried to listen to this and it just seems like walls of disjointed noise.

This isn't an argument for A7X, or against Esoteric, but I'm just curious on how people come to what seem to be opposing opinions on music. I hope that made sense.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
25.10.2017 - 18:31
Rating: 4
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by MeloDeathViking on 25.10.2017 at 15:38

That being said, this review and album in particular bring up a common feeling/thought I have on the metal scene. I think this album does have several moments of great musicianship and song writing, and still generally gets shit on and torn apart on this site. Then there are some sub-genres of metal and some bands that I feel like can barely be called music, and this site seems to lose their mind over them. An example of this is The Maniacal Vale by Esoteric. I tried to listen to this and it just seems like walls of disjointed noise.

This isn't an argument for A7X, or against Esoteric, but I'm just curious on how people come to what seem to be opposing opinions on music. I hope that made sense.

This would probably make a great post in itself.

My simplistic response is simply this... not all things are for all people. to some A7X is "extreme" and too much to listen to, yet some smaller chunk of the populace, such as yourself, find something enjoyable in it. Esoteric goes farther out there and the whole thing shifts another step in the more extreme direction... an even smaller chunk of the populace finds A7X the equivalent of radio music and are drawn to Esoteric.

I enjoy Maniacal Vale for a lot of the reasons I didn't enjoy this album. And, amusingly, between 80s alt/wave, 90s britpop (Oasis/Blur) and some pop-punk, I do have an appreciation of catchy 'pop' songs.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.06.2021 - 17:22
jeffster69

This album is my favorite A7X album. I think the review is far from the reality. This album was written with the rev who had a huge influence on the composition and is a posthumous record where mr portnoy who was his favorite accepted to play on the record. In fact its a kind of back in black for A7x and a really good album. The songs are catchy, a great atmosphere and its a real memorial to the rev. It might not be the best written A7X album since most fans are fancy city of evil. i'm new to the site and i'm not particularly an a7x fan but i could just invite people to listen to this album with care its much much better than what the reviewer says.

Hits total: 21448 | This month: 22