05. Arrows Of Agony
06. Fade Away
07. A Hero's Welcome
08. Undone
09. Bloodkult
10. Red Tears Of Disgrace
11. Seasons In Purgatory [bonus]
12. Silent Nothingness

The last half decade saw the rise of Thrash-rehash. A bunch of bands picked up their axes and started paying tribute to 80's thrash.. and 2010 has seemingly seen the return of the old guard, with Exodus and Overkill both putting out some really good albums.

Add Heathen to that list.

Evolution Of Chaos is the band's first full length in 19 years. And despite two decades of sitting in a Bay Area garage, Heathen shows no rust with their relaunch.

Following a sitar intro provided by guest musician Steve DiGiorgio ( Sadus and more other bands than you have fingers), Heathen blaze forth out of the gate with tons of crunchy riffs, galloping riffs, and droves of solos.

Speaking of droves, one of my criticisms of Heathen's kissing cousin, Exodus was the length of their newest. Evolution Of Chaos is almost every bit as long as Exhibit B, however the band has a more melodic approach, trading in the brutality for some intricate melodies that make this release far less taxing a listen. Their style is almost a marriage between thrash and 80's US power metal, a blend of aggression mixed with some catchy melody.

Songs like "Dying Season," "Control By Chaos" and "Fade Away" are fantastic thrashy numbers that provide an instant spark of energy, but the album is also interspersed with mid-paced numbers or sections of songs that keep the energy if not at red-line intensity at all times.

I do think there is a bit of "fade away" on the album, as it's a bit front-loaded with the back five songs not being quite as good as the five that open the record. "A Hero's Welcome" is a ballad tribute to the common soldier, which is a mighty ballsy thing to do for a band that hails from the militantly anti-military SF area. While I appreciate the sentiment, it is sappy in it's execution. The remaining tracks that close the album after the let-off are all pretty good as well, but don't quite recapture the fire of the first five.

And no review would be complete without mention of the epic "No Stone Unturned" - an 11 minute piece that evolves from a slow crushing march over six minutes into a quiet, clean section, finally ramped up until a double-time crushing end. It sounds like it would be right at home on Metallica's "...And Justice For All...", only it is far better orchestrated than some of the monolithic tracks on that release. Oh, and you can hear the bass.

In addition to sitar and some fretless bass by Steve DiGiorgio, the album also saw guest spots from Lee Altus' mates in Exodus, with Rob Dukes providing some pipework and Gary Holt laying down a lead in "Control By Chaos".

All in all this is a really good return from one of the Bay Area scene's lesser known gems and is recommended to all thrash fans.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 04.08.2010 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 254 users
04.08.2010 - 02:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
"Speaking of droves..."

I thought you were going for it again. A bit disappointed. Good review - appropriate rating. A perfect comparison to Exhibit B, although I think Exodus are marginally stronger with their release.

Kudos for even releasing something after sitting in idle for such a lengthy period of time.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.08.2010 - 02:27
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Yeah, i used the droves thing intentionally as these two bands are conjoined by Lee... and i ultimately scored this a slight bit lower than Exodus, 7.7 to 7.6. I slightly prefer the aggression on the Exodus release, and it's high points hit a tad higher... even with the fatigue factor.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.08.2010 - 02:43
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I thought Marcel was going to review this (because he said he had the promo copy since October...?)
----
loves 小巫
04.08.2010 - 02:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Ag Fox on 04.08.2010 at 02:43

I thought Marcel was going to review this (because he said he had the promo copy since October...?)

he was going to, but has been busy and i had the time to do it this week.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.08.2010 - 03:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Agree with every word you said, especially on the back stretch (that includes the horrendous Hero's Welcome for me). But I do however rate this one higher than Exodus' latest es,pecially due to the melodies on it. I would say 8.2 for this and 7.1 for Exodus.

Saw Heathen live a couple of mponths ago and the new songs live slayed as much as their old stuff. Funnily they restricted themselves to songs of the first half of this album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.08.2010 - 03:49
RavenKing

"Their style is almost a marriage between thrash and 80's US power metal, a blend of aggression mixed with some catchy melody."

This sentence explains why I don't like this album. It's too soft for my tastes in Thrash. In fact, lots of Thrash bands are too soft for my tastes. I like only Thrash of the rawest and harshest kind.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.08.2010 - 09:00
Rating: 7
Fat & Sassy!

This album is fucking TOASTY. It makes me feel all warm with it's thrashy goodness. I suppose I may like more than most, because I don't listen to too much thrash... And rating seems fair, although I think it deserves a solid 8. Probably a 9 if some of the tracks you mentioned were cut off. It's a bit too long. Great, spot-on review though.
04.08.2010 - 12:21
vezzy
Stallmanite
Fitting score. Agree with the points given here.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.08.2010 - 15:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 04.08.2010 at 09:00

This album is fucking TOASTY. It makes me feel all warm with it's thrashy goodness. I suppose I may like more than most, because I don't listen to too much thrash... And rating seems fair, although I think it deserves a solid 8. Probably a 9 if some of the tracks you mentioned were cut off. It's a bit too long. Great, spot-on review though.

+1
Since I am also not a thrash metal fan , I always enjoy a bit of thrash every once and a while and this album was great
Well written review , agree with every word you said
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.08.2010 - 15:20
Ragepocalypse

I do say as a great lover of thrash metal i sure am enjoying this year With the new Overkill,Exodus and of course this. A great album Some nice crunchy thrash goodness with some great melodies in there.
06.08.2010 - 23:20
UnknownCheese

The album is way too long, but it has some solo sections.
19.09.2010 - 19:09
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by BitterCOld on 04.08.2010 at 02:27

Yeah, i used the droves thing intentionally as these two bands are conjoined by Lee... and i ultimately scored this a slight bit lower than Exodus, 7.7 to 7.6. I slightly prefer the aggression on the Exodus release, and it's high points hit a tad higher... even with the fatigue factor.

Bro. I agree with you as far as "No Stone Unturned" is concerned. It does sound like Metallica! Especially like Orion or even to live is to die!
06.01.2011 - 13:33
jimmy

This album was my first introduction to HEATHEN, (they havent released an album in 19 years) and i have to say, i loved it! this is a great metal album and a great thrash album.
i'd rate this one an 8 or so. hopefully they wont wait another 19 years to release a follow up.
06.04.2012 - 02:33
Mattybu

Score is accurate. Good album, don't mind this style of thrash. Love jamming that riff in Undone that just sounds like sex. I could just repeatedly play that for hours and have an enjoyable guitar session lol.

Hits total: 7855 | This month: 3