Metal Storm logo
Epica

Original post

Posted by Etaín, 17.05.2006 - 18:47
New thread for this great Dutch band

So they just released 'The Road to Paradiso' photo sound book. Need to get my hands on this soon. They also recorded the show for a dvd if i remember correctly. Thats gonna be great
20.08.2008 - 01:29
AGud
Account deleted
Epica is really one of my favorite bands within the symphonic metal-genre. Love the way they combine the grunts and the beautiful female vocals. Also, they have such great melodies!
21.08.2008 - 16:22
5.T.4.L.k.E.R
LOVE Epica

my favorite album is The Divine Conspiracy. every single song in it is awesome, especially...
Menace of Vanity
The Obsessive Devotion
The Divine Conspiracy
Beyond Belief
Ch acing the Dragon

----
...enter by the Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
22.08.2008 - 09:26
Oracle
Orcinus
Yeah Epica are great!

Would love to hear their new album. Ive heard its a pretty good album

I really think they should come to Australia though, That would be awesome if they did
23.08.2008 - 18:09
Wintermoon
Account deleted
Great band.
Greate music.:bow:
28.08.2008 - 02:54
Iron Priest
Their in my top favourites, but I didn't like the new album as much. I would prefer a little less of the grunts. I don't appreciate it as much as most. Mother of light was the perfect blend though.
28.08.2008 - 03:25
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
The new album has some enjoyable songs though, such as "Safeguard to Paradise"
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
08.09.2008 - 20:45
Fhuesc
I saw them yesterday and it was awesome, first they played 6 acoustic songs, which was really cool, and later they play the whole The Phantom Agony and some other songs. And Simone looked very beautiful.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
08.09.2008 - 20:49
Janne
Hugin
Written by Fhuesc on 08.09.2008 at 20:45

I saw them yesterday and it was awesome, first they played 6 acoustic songs, which was really cool, and later they play the whole The Phantom Agony and some other songs. And Simone looked very beautiful.

wow, that must be great! I like The Phantom Agony very much! (imo that album is better than their new one)
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
09.09.2008 - 05:12
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Damn.. wish I could see them live. The first and the last albums (Phantom Agony and The Divine Conspiracy) were great. They're definitely the best gothic band at the moment. And on top of it, they have the most beautiful frontwoman in metal.. In "We Will Take You With Us" DVD you can see how beautiful she is
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
09.09.2008 - 18:27
Janne
Hugin
I saw them live once but I don't really remember anything(after a bottle of vodka who would? ) except for I enjoyed the music.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
09.09.2008 - 18:33
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Janne on 09.09.2008 at 18:27

I saw them live once but I don't really remember anything(after a bottle of vodka who would? ) except for I enjoyed the music.

Ahah right When I have the chance to see them live, I can't miss the opportunity to see her headbanging! I love it
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
09.09.2008 - 19:04
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Dark Blood on 09.09.2008 at 05:12

They're definitely the best gothic band at the moment.

Sorry but I just point that out that Epica are not Gothic and I personally haven't found any gothic elements at all....they are pure symphonic metal and I'd say one of the best ones of this genre....but not gothic at all...
Looking for Gothic, try Fields Of The Nephilim and Christian Death....there you'll see Gothic and bands who do have used gothic style in their music are for instance Tristania and ToT....Gothic is like a motif or a watermark or a certain pattern....if it's there, then you can say it's Gothic....Tristania and ToT did use that pattern....Epica have used it minimally....their main stress is focused on the vocals of Simone, the symphonic orchestral passages and choirs....if there is a gothic side in Epica then its a lot more subdued than in (Tot - Aegis period) ToT's or Tristania's case where the gothic pattern is on a prominent position....

Otherwise for sure....Simone is the most beautiful singer in metal and her vocal technique is stunning plus their stage presence is very good....Epica's symphonic style has reached a very good level and for me exceeds the one of the sister group After Forever....
09.09.2008 - 20:40
Elodie Artour
Slania
@Viggo: I'm also annoyed when someone calls Epica 'Goth'. They don't have anything to do with pure Gothic Rock/metal, nor with the whole genre.

Also, if I have to compare Epica to After Forever, both bands are very good. I cannot even say which one of them does a better job.

Yeah, I also agree with Viggo that Simone is the most beautiful female metal vocal, even though I personally have some other favourite ones (besides her), too.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
10.09.2008 - 03:07
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Ernis on 09.09.2008 at 19:04

Written by Dark Blood on 09.09.2008 at 05:12

They're definitely the best gothic band at the moment.

Sorry but I just point that out that Epica are not Gothic and I personally haven't found any gothic elements at all....they are pure symphonic metal and I'd say one of the best ones of this genre....but not gothic at all...

Oh sorry. I guess when I wrote that post I was in a hurry and I messed up. But it's not an excuse because I know they're not gothic.. so I don't know why I wrote that lol
----
07.10.2008 - 05:36
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well I have tried to get into epica but I don't really enjoy it. i've never been much into this "beauty and teh beast" kinda bands. I dont' know... Simone Simmons is gorgeous, but still, I just can't get into this band, I get bored after a couple songs.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.10.2008 - 11:41
Ernis
狼獾
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 07.10.2008 at 05:36

Well I have tried to get into epica but I don't really enjoy it. i've never been much into this "beauty and teh beast" kinda bands. I dont' know... Simone Simmons is gorgeous, but still, I just can't get into this band, I get bored after a couple songs.

Yes you're right....beauty vs beast style may sometimes be a cliché indeed....for me Epica, however has never qualified as such an act because I haven't paid major attention to the contrast between Simone's and the cookie monster's vocals...the melodies and the choir tunes are more enchanting...the male growling is there but in Epica's case it never dominates that much....
08.10.2008 - 01:29
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Ernis on 07.10.2008 at 11:41

Yes you're right....beauty vs beast style may sometimes be a cliché indeed....for me Epica, however has never qualified as such an act because I haven't paid major attention to the contrast between Simone's and the cookie monster's vocals...the melodies and the choir tunes are more enchanting...the male growling is there but in Epica's case it never dominates that much....

Maybe it's that... IDK, I prefer soem cookie monster vocals, more pronunciated, more... dominant, yes.
Mayeb that's the reason for me liking only some songs by Leaves' Eyes, and none by Epica
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

08.10.2008 - 17:29
Ernis
狼獾
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 08.10.2008 at 01:29

Maybe it's that... IDK, I prefer soem cookie monster vocals, more pronunciated, more... dominant, yes.
Mayeb that's the reason for me liking only some songs by Leaves' Eyes, and none by Epica

What be IDK?

Anyhow...to each its own...for me, for instance, growling/screaming/gurgling etc is usually boring as hell...unless it's done by a talented performer in a very professional way...otherwise it tends to be annoyingly boring....it's very difficult to pass on a melody by cookie monster singing...it just doesn't work (of course there are brilliant singers who are able to create melodies and who are able to shift between clean and extreme vocals very smoothly....)
For instance if I listen to the Gathering's "Mirror Waters", then with growling it's nothing special...but with Anneke's clean beautiful vocals it becomes a spellbinding song....
For me, clean vocals is a lot better pronounced...there's a lot bigger possibility of understanding the vocals than with extreme ones which are very often just monotone sound of someone choking because of cookie debris....which brings me to the issue that it's just boring....
That's also with Epica....I think that in Epica's case the role of cookie vocals is to make it more interesting and add the "harder" side but the main thing is melody....if there is no interesting melody nor talented vocal part in the song to follow, the judgement is simple...it's just boring....
09.10.2008 - 06:59
Hrothdane
Written by Ernis on 08.10.2008 at 17:29

What be IDK?

Anyhow...to each its own...for me, for instance, growling/screaming/gurgling etc is usually boring as hell...unless it's done by a talented performer in a very professional way...otherwise it tends to be annoyingly boring....it's very difficult to pass on a melody by cookie monster singing...it just doesn't work (of course there are brilliant singers who are able to create melodies and who are able to shift between clean and extreme vocals very smoothly....)
For instance if I listen to the Gathering's "Mirror Waters", then with growling it's nothing special...but with Anneke's clean beautiful vocals it becomes a spellbinding song....
For me, clean vocals is a lot better pronounced...there's a lot bigger possibility of understanding the vocals than with extreme ones which are very often just monotone sound of someone choking because of cookie debris....which brings me to the issue that it's just boring....
That's also with Epica....I think that in Epica's case the role of cookie vocals is to make it more interesting and add the "harder" side but the main thing is melody....if there is no interesting melody nor talented vocal part in the song to follow, the judgement is simple...it's just boring....

I agree with this as well. I don't particularly care for harsh vocals either, with certain exceptions.

PS: IDK means I Don't Know
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
09.10.2008 - 07:01
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Ernis on 08.10.2008 at 17:29

What be IDK?

IDK: I Don't Know.

Well i liek some growling, but I'm more into melodic stuff. But Epica... too soft for me.
MAybe they added the growl to follow the "beauty and teh beast" trend? That's how I see it, if we removed it, there would be not really big difference since everyone is focused on Simone's vocals.
----

10.10.2008 - 23:50
Janne
Hugin
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 09.10.2008 at 07:01

Well i liek some growling, but I'm more into melodic stuff. But Epica... too soft for me.
MAybe they added the growl to follow the "beauty and teh beast" trend? That's how I see it, if we removed it, there would be not really big difference since everyone is focused on Simone's vocals.

I often feel the opposite that you said. If we had removed the growlings Epica would sound better. Of course, sometimes the growlings are very good but imo in the new album they are too much.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
11.10.2008 - 05:54
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Janne on 10.10.2008 at 23:50

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 09.10.2008 at 07:01

I often feel the opposite that you said. If we had removed the growlings Epica would sound better. Of course, sometimes the growlings are very good but imo in the new album they are too much.

We all have our opinions
Liek I was telling Viggo, i'm not much into this type of bands. and I tell you, if Simone wouldn't eb the hottest wman on earth, epica would simply be another "beauty and teh beast" band.
----

11.10.2008 - 08:58
Jason W.
Razorbliss
staff
Hmmm.... I have to disagree with a few of the above posts.

Regarding Simone being the "hottest woman on earth," I really could care less how attractive she is, as long as she entertaining to watch on stage in the same way any lead vocalist should be. And to be honest, while I do find Simone attractive, there are numerous other female metal singers I'd pick based on only physical concerns. And as much as people seem to argue against it, it really is possible for someone to be attractive and talented. I also feel that Epica could function with another talented singer in Simone's place - and in fact this was proven over an entire North American tour earlier this year. Amanda Somerville sang quite well and I did not hear a complaint in the crowd regarding Amanda's performance.

About Mark's growling in Epica.... You know, on "Consign To Oblivion" I really didn't like his performance vocally. Either the recording process was flawed, or he just was not performing to his highest abilities... I don't know. I was really tempted to say things too like "I wish Simone would sing alone, etc..." However! On "The Divine Conspiracy" I fully changed my mind, and find Mark's vocals to be much improved, and they add drastically to the music. The whole album is heavier - the addition of Arien on drums has pushed the band to a slightly more extreme sound, and everything is just more intense. I think that Simone needs Mark's vocals to keep up with the newfound heaviness of the sound. Hey, I love Simone's vocals and of course if Epica only had her singing I would like them anyway since I basically enjoy all bands in their genre. But the lyrics in Epica demand something angrier, and Simone is just not an angry vocalist.

And no, I don't always focus on Simone's vocals. "Menace of Vanity" is one track in particular that does not rely on Simone's vocals, but instead on Mark's and the full choir - and it happens to be one of my favorite songs by the band
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
03.11.2008 - 03:03
Land Of Doom
Epica The first metal band i heard it

Its very great band and have An Excellent Vocals

Simone Simons
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
03.11.2008 - 08:18
nana.MD
Star-Queen

haha "beauty & the beast" bands...lol it's so true...i get bored after a couple of songs too, i actually only like their phantom agony, but it's not one of my favs...i listen to it when my parents ask me to play something smoother driving somewhere, they're not much into death metal hehe...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
17.01.2009 - 20:04
Elodie Artour
Slania
Happy Birthday, Simone! Love ya!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
18.01.2009 - 17:35
annodomini
Theres always something that fits out from Epicas context. I really hate those intros between songs, nad the problem i found about Epica is that i dont feel that their albums are ALBUMS. I never found a strong connection between songs no mather that all of them were conceptual. I like almost every songs of Epica, but theres something missing, After FOrever is much more better for me.
----
the riddle wants to be...
18.01.2009 - 18:51
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Just bought the "Road To Paradiso" CD with the book. Haven't heard the CD yet, but have read half through the book and it's really interesting. It gives you the band's history and ups and downs at concerts and during recordings. A really cool piece
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
19.01.2009 - 22:10
annodomini
Oh yes, so wil they ever release that dvd or not?
----
the riddle wants to be...
22.01.2009 - 13:03
გურ
Account deleted
I know "Cry For The moon" Is the old song, but I LOVE it.. Simone Is my Fav. Female vocalist.