03. In Shrouds Decayed
04. Shrine
05. A Thousand Lies
06. Descendant
07. Myopic Empire
08. My Pain
09. The Prolonging
10. Shatter [Japanese bonus]

Following the permanent disbandment of the cult Swiss metal act Celtic Frost in 2008, which came as a shock to many, Thomas Gabriel Fischer announced his formation of a new band named Triptykon. Two years later, we have their debut Eparistera Daimones.

The whole album is very atmospheric. Haunting melodies, dissonant and thick riffs coupled with dark ambience and interludes which create tension and a few intimidating, energetic solos to strengthen it all. Tom's raspy pseudo-demonic and angry voice fits well here, at times shifting into a vocal echo or coupled with a female voice. His vehement expression of rage can come out quite fierce at times (especially in "A Thousand Lies"), which also happens to be the fastest and most ruthless track on the album, consistently keeping its fast tempo, whereas the other songs generally tend to change their tempos. The drumming is a crucial point, as it balances the overall rhythm while being distinguished in its own right. Many genres can be identified here, from progressive and thrash to black and doom metal, even though the general sound lies in the latter two genres. The bass is murky but also muffled in the music's gloomy feeling. The guitars are the dominant part, as they control the pace and direction of the songs.

I guess, in the end, it's indeed a spiritual successor to Monotheist. The sludgy and raw tone is the foundation, but in my mind, is divided between many other elements that weren't featured in Monotheist and make this a more-or-less worthwhile experience. Then again, Fischer himself stated that he wanted it to be a "darker, heavier and slightly more experimental development of Monotheist." Well, he does it.

To speak of highlight tracks, I'll choose "Goetia" (a formidable opener, if not very original), "In Shrouds Decayed" (starts out chilling and tuneful before evolving into a raging dark metallic part), "A Thousand Lies" (I already mentioned it as the fastest and most relentless track on the album), "Descendant" (features some memorable, intimidating semi-thrash parts including the well-executed chugging/rolling) and the 19-minute monster composition "The Prolonging" (this one really evokes a feeling of despair, but it may drag far too long for some people, which is when the ironic song title comes into play, nevertheless it's worthy, including the grim finale of it). There are two tracks beforehand that lead up to "The Prolonging", those are "Myopic Empire" (somewhat repetitive but decent) and "My Pain" (this is your standard mournful track, nothing new or interesting in it).

If you disliked or felt that Monotheist was too slow and mundane for you, then you might as well skip this release. But for those who liked it and would like to hear a logical evolution of it, then go for it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by vezzy | 06.08.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 32   Visited by: 373 users
06.08.2010 - 19:12
Rating: 8
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
I like this album so much and I own it. Its like monotheist but in some ways better than it and in some ways worse than it. and yes its different for the professional listener, this is not a copy.

btw I liked the review.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
06.08.2010 - 19:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I've heard nothing but good things about this album but unfortunately I've also heard nothing but Monotheist comparisons which really puts me off so as you say I'll prob steer clear of it.
06.08.2010 - 19:44
Perseverence
Account deleted
A worth while buy. Will be in 2010 lists. But not groundbreaking.
06.08.2010 - 19:44
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 06.08.2010 at 19:39

I've heard nothing but good things about this album but unfortunately I've also heard nothing but Monotheist comparisons which really puts me off so as you say I'll prob steer clear of it.

Like I said, Fischer himself stated that this was basically a logical evolution of Monotheist, so most people should've known what to expect.
The dissonant, sludgy and fading guitar tone that drives Monotheist drives Eparistera Daimones as well. It's practically the same.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
06.08.2010 - 20:16
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Guest on 06.08.2010 at 19:44

A worth while buy. Will be in 2010 lists. But not groundbreaking.

right said.
----
06.08.2010 - 23:26
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Did Giger do the album art?
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
06.08.2010 - 23:27
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Chainer on 06.08.2010 at 23:26

Did Giger do the album art?

yep, Ive read it in Metal Hammer I think.
----
06.08.2010 - 23:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Yes this is another Giger piece used by Tom.
But it wasn't made specifically for this album, I think. I think I have it in one of my Giger books already.

The cover for To Mega Therion was made especially for that album, though
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.08.2010 - 23:49
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.08.2010 at 23:31

But it wasn't made specifically for this album, I think. I think I have it in one of my Giger books already.

I wonder if the merch agreement still applies then?
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
07.08.2010 - 01:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Chainer on 06.08.2010 at 23:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.08.2010 at 23:31

I wonder if the merch agreement still applies then?

what do you mean?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2010 - 01:57
PrettyMao
I'm a bit disappointed with the cover, I thought I saw some anal penetration action going on in the bottom left of the cover... but after finding a large resolution picture I see it's just your typical vanilla metallic-penis-thingy-with-metal-elephant-boy-trunk dp action on vagina...

So disappointed...
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
07.08.2010 - 02:12
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by PrettyMao on 07.08.2010 at 01:57

I'm a bit disappointed with the cover, I thought I saw some anal penetration action going on in the bottom left of the cover... but after finding a large resolution picture I see it's just your typical vanilla metallic-penis-thingy-with-metal-elephant-boy-trunk dp action on vagina...

So disappointed...

a large zoom lol it seems that you loved it because its so clear that it not anal even in this little album cover let me see it here physically, cool!
----
07.08.2010 - 02:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
The cd cover is actually only three quarters of the painting. For the entire painting you have to get hold of the double vinyl which also includes a poster of the entire painting. There you will see it is an anal penetration.

Btw the painting is "Vlad Tepes", work no. 412, 200 x 140 cm, acrilic on paper on wood, 1978, by HR Giger.

So, as you can see this is a 32 year old painting used by Tom
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2010 - 02:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Oops mixed up anal and vaginal once again
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2010 - 02:39
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Mine is a normal cd, so those paintings in the booklet are some parts of a greater painting hmmm.
----
07.08.2010 - 02:42
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Hey something else it is a double penetration PrettyMao dont be disappointed man, there is something like nose which tries to penetrate man haha
----
07.08.2010 - 02:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
The painting right in the middle of the booklet with the name of the painting underneath it is the entire painting. The rest in the booklet are details and the band members paintings were by someone else.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2010 - 02:57
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Then my booklet is different as I said I have the normal cd.
----
07.08.2010 - 03:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
It's not like I'm conservative or anything... But that cover freaks me out for some reason. Because I always think of so many hentai shit tentacle-fuck when I see it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.08.2010 - 03:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Elyar S. on 07.08.2010 at 02:57

Then my booklet is different as I said I have the normal cd not Vinyl.

my last post was about the cd bookl.et. Do you have a bootleg cd or the official hardcover booklet cd? There isn't a jewelcase of the cd. If you have a jewelcase then that is a bootleg.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2010 - 03:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Elyar S. on 07.08.2010 at 02:57

Then my booklet is different as I said I have the normal cd not Vinyl.

my last post was about the cd bookl.et. Do you have a bootleg cd or the official hardcover booklet cd? There isn't a jewelcase of the cd. If you have a jewelcase then that is a bootleg.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2010 - 03:31
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
I cant understand you unfortunately because there is not anything such as an entire painting in my cd, not in the middle and not other pages, every 2 pages have lyrics and a painting and some of them are parts of the cover painting and some of them are missed in the cover painting. So mine is fake! lol
----
07.08.2010 - 03:51
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
I dont have this one one my booklet if you mean this:

----
07.08.2010 - 04:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Yep that's the FULL picture which on the front of the vinyl and also included as poster there. And this one is also right inside of the cd booklet, right smack in the middle.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2010 - 10:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
Are you serious, guys? I don't find that freaky in the least. Surreal, yes, but not disturbing in any way.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.08.2010 - 12:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.08.2010 at 03:18

Wait... Are you saying that the cd I saw in a mainstream store that is this one in a jewelcase is a bootleg?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.08.2010 - 15:03
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
It seems that there are 2 versions of this CD, the American one is different, I think mine is american version. not hard case just a simple jewel case. Because on the back of the cd it says Hawthorne, CA and my other century media cd's arent like this one, a lot of them have the name of Germany on them.

read the comments over here:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138169
----
07.08.2010 - 16:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Just now in town I bumped jewel case versions as well. I find that strange though cause I could have sworn I read an interview with Tom where he said it wouly be released as the hard cover book version for the normal cd price cause that's the wat he wanted it done. So it seems Century Media is screwing him over as well now.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.08.2010 - 19:58
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.08.2010 at 02:36

Oops mixed up anal and vaginal once again

You do that often?
07.08.2010 - 22:21
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.08.2010 at 16:14

Just now in town I bumped jewel case versions as well. I find that strange though cause I could have sworn I read an interview with Tom where he said it wouly be released as the hard cover book version for the normal cd price cause that's the wat he wanted it done. So it seems Century Media is screwing him over as well now.

I wish I had the hard cover one because they last more and they dont crash when you carry them. And in this case it has the whole painting.
----

Hits total: 8533 | This month: 13