02. The Stance Of Evander Sinque
03. Der Überlebende
04. Heroin Chic
05. Apocalypse Woman
06. Base Level Erotica
07. Under Your Wings And Into Your Arms
08. Follower [Japanese bonus]

"Tell me that I'm a sinner... "

So here is the album that has made this famous English band lose a huge part of their first-hour fans... Paradoxically, it's the one that has made me know My Dying Bride. As I had never heard "The Angel and the Dark River" before, I absolutely couldn't be prejudiced against this new one, and I have been able to immerse in it objectively, something that unfortunately some of the fans did not do...
It is understandable that the complete change compared to "Like Gods of the Sun" has disgusted the doom fans: the main word here is experimentation. Well, of course some things never change. A My Dying Bride album wouldn't deserve this name if there were no violins, if the lyrics were not about sex and death and misery, if Stainthorpe's voice was not melancholic and (how could I say that?) nearly abnormal, if each track was not 10-minutes long... These things will last forever, on every new album. So the disorientation was not completely abrupt.

What has pushed fans off is maybe that there is no more doom metal here... Only the attitude and the atmosphere are doom. Then it sounds more like an experimental electro-stoner, with, most of the time, heavy and really slow riffs ("The stance of Evander Sinque", "Der Uberlebende"), a haunting and sick voice, strange backing vocals("Base Level Erotica"), and various weird noises (the four minutes break on the first track "The whore the cook and the mother") that create a filthy and desperate atmosphere. The climax of experimentation is reached with "Heroin chic", a song that is not, but really absolutely not, metal at all. It is some kind of acid-jazz but it has its place on the album... Not the best one (I couldn't listen to a whole album of that style), but a pretty good song, very disturbing.

Actually, only two tracks boost the speed of this album (the first adjective that comes to mind is slow): "Apocalypse Woman" with a very good bass playing, and the single (and the best track of the album in my opinion) "Under Your Wings and Into Your Arms" with its fast riff which is certainly the most "normal" song of the album. But as ever, you won't find any chorus on this opus... the originality of My Dying Bride partly comes from the fact that they don't write their albums in the linear way "verse-chorus-verse", but that they change everytime their rhythm. This is probably the reason why you always need several listenings before appreciating their music: it is not conventional.

To sum up, if you didn't like this album when it has been released, try again, it is worth doing it. If you don't know My Dying Bride, well, I don't know if I should advise you to get this one before "The Angeland the Dark River"... Maybe not, but yet if you are open-minded enough, you may like it, because this is a very good one. This is how you see if a band is a great band, when it is able to make good things in different styles My Dying Bride is definitely a great band.

Highlights: The Whore The Cook And The Mother, Apocalypse Woman, Under Your Wings And Into Your Arms

Written by Deadsoulman | 03.02.2004

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
After the renowned and poetic "Like Gods Of The Sun" My Dying Bride started working on the successor of this brilliant album. Sadly, Martin Powell announced to the rest of the band that he would leave My Dying Bride and everything happened so suddenly, with the rest of the band having to keep on working on the new album without an important part of them, Powell's keyboard/piano and violin work.

Read more ››
published 01.12.2005 | Comments (6)

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 58 users
07.08.2010 - 01:34
Rating: 8
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
This is a good album and Im almost agree about this review, but the weird thing for me about famous bands is that a lot of ppl arent agree with them when they change their style and even they cant accept the same genre after some albums. This is not MDB anymore and in their last album for example their album is a MDB cliché. Im lost what they should do to please these kind of ppl. The same thing about A Line of Deathless Kings album; a lot of anti-MDB doomsters considered it as black metal when it was released.

but about this album I think the opening track is groundbreaking and the last song is a masterpiece too. I heard this album after I was into Turn Loose the Swans and The Dreadful Hours and I have to say that I was shocked but I liked it so much after I listened it over and over. You have to be ready for new things I think because you are dead if you are not, and you have to be ready for the usual things too (Songs of Darkness Words of Light or For Lies I Sire) because you will suffer if you are not.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
31.05.2016 - 22:40
Rating: 4
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well I don't think band lose a fans whit one, because next one was a great doom in veil of old school, but I don't like this one, same time I don't listen, band has a lots of good songs and albums to listen and again it proves that todays bands has not such atmosphere
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 3948 | This month: 5