Metal Storm logo
Germany, Wacken - Wacken Open Air 2011

It was about time! Finally, in its 22nd year of existence, the biggest metal festival in the world will welcome the Prince of Darkness, one of the founders of the music we have all come to love: Ozzy Osbourne will headline Wacken Open Air 2011!
Ozzy's performance at Wacken will be his only German festival show in 2011. The metal opera Avantasia take it even further and will make their performance at Wacken Open Air their only show in 2011 worldwide! Witnessing Tobias Sammet (Edguy) and his myriad of guests in front of tens of thousands of fans under the open sky certainly isn't your everyday concert experience.
And of course there's also American power metallers Iced Earth who will be performing for the very last time with legendary singer Matt Barlow.

But these three acts aren't the only ones with exclusive performances: NWOBHM legends Judas Priest, who are currently on their last world tour ever, TNBM front-runners Mayhem and Australian hard rockers Airbourne will also perform their only German festival shows at Wacken Open Air, and for Trivium it will even be their only festival show on European soil in 2011.

But even if you don't care for either of these bands, Wacken once again offers a wide array of metal styles for almost everyone, like power metal (e.g. Blind Guardian), extreme power/melodeath metal (e.g. Children Of Bodom), thrash metal (e.g. Kreator), death metal (e.g. Kataklysm), rock'n'roll (e.g. Motörhead), glam metal (e.g. Crashdïet), j-rock (Dir En Grey), folk metal (e.g. Moonsorrow), stoner (Kyuss Lives!) and then some. For a complete listing of all 120+ bands, filled to the brim with big names of the scene, you'll only have to scroll down.

Wacken Open Air takes place in - surprise! - Wacken in Northern Germany, a small village with merely 2,000 inhabitants on 361 days of the year. The town is located 10 km north of Itzehoe and 50 km northwest of Hamburg. There will be shuttle buses from the festival site to the train station in Itzehoe as well as to the airports in Berlin, Hamburg, Bremen and Lübeck. For more info on getting there and away check the festival page here.

The festival is officially sold out since February, but some tour operators (e.g. Metal Train for Germany, Bock Tours for the Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Switzerland, Argon Events for the UK) still have some coach trip/festival ticket packages in store. More tour operators can be found here.

Another way to acquire your ticket would be the ticket exchange in the official forum which aims for eliminating the black marketing going on on eBay and other auctioning sites, and reducing the risk of acquiring fake tickets. In this exchange the Wacken staff supervises the ticket prices and acts as trust which means that the seller sends the ticket(s) to the staff who verifies the authenticity of the ticket(s) and reports it to the buyer. After the buyer has transferred the money to the seller, the Wacken staff will pass on the ticket(s) to the buyer. More information on this model can be found here (in English) and here (in German).

Further readings:
Wacken 2010 ? Metal Train 2010 ? Wacken 2009 ? Wacken 2008 ? Wacken 2007

Headliners

DAY 1 (03.08)

W.E.T. Stage / Headbangers Ballroom

Mother Of God
Leash Eye
Dust Bolt
Hammercult
Virginia Clemm
Death Clocks
Noein
Atrum
Paralytic
Eccentric Pendulum
Aphyxion
Mambo Kurt

Wackinger Stage

The Aberlour's
Reliquiae
Horch

Bullhead-City Wrestling Tent

Russkaja
Ski King
Victims Of Madness

Beer Garden Stage

W:O:A Firefighters
Blechblosn

DAY 2 (04.08)

True Metal Stage

Ozzy Osbourne
Helloween

Black Stage

Blind Guardian
Skyline
Bülent Ceylan

Battle Beast
Pneuma
Tanker
Aeon Throne
Seven Stitches
Achren
Coldwar
Rude Revelation
Exquisite Pus
X-Tinxion
Sacramental

Wackinger Stage

Russkaja
Reliquiae
Maiden United

Onkel Tom Angelripper
Kvelertak
Ski's Country Trash
Stier
Jim Breuer

Beer Garden Stage

Edelweiss
Hayseed Dixie
Blechblosn
Mambo Kurt

DAY 3 (05.08)

True Metal Stage

Judas Priest
Airbourne
Trivium
Sodom
Suicidal Tendencies

Black Stage

Morbid Angel
Apocalyptica
Triptykon
Heaven Shall Burn
As I Lay Dying
Ensiferum

Party Stage

Rhapsody Of Fire
Kyuss
Morgoth
Saltatio Mortis
Van Canto
Primal Fear

Suidakra
Skindred
Accu§er
Sirenia
Tsjuder
Slime
Bullet
Deadlock
Negator
Khold
The Prophecy²³
Skálmöld
Pussy Sisster
Volcano
Pharao
Shraphead

Wackinger Stage

Ignis Fatuu
Rabenschrey
Reliquiae

Russkaja
Smack Ballz
Betontod
Jim Breuer
Ghost

Beer Garden Stage

Edelweiss
Hayseed Dixie
Mambo Kurt

DAY 4 (06.08)

Wackinger Stage

Lacrimas Profundere
Reliquiae

Girlschool
Onslaught
Hayseed Dixie

Beer Garden Stage

Edelweiss
Mambo Kurt

Who was there?

Nefarious (UAE) 100%
GT (Denmark) 100%
Promonex 100%
corrupt 100%
OnJackTallBeck? (Brazil) 100%
TheBigRossowski 100%
buki of steel (Croatia) 100%
Infurnace (The Netherlands) 100%
MeTalRea|istiK (Malaysia) 100%
MaiSweettShaadow () 100%
infernall (Romania) 100%
Overlord_PT (Portugal) 100%
ChrisWinther (Denmark) 100%
Skyum (Denmark) 100%
Kallis Helmi (Hungary) 100%
MrSpaceman (Poland) 100%
Jack--- (Denmark) 100%
In Chaos (Norway) 100%
Kalmari (Finland) 100%
Snockis (Sweden) 100%
Gâsh (The Netherlands) 100%
Heissayen (Spain) 100%
Lord Nifiel (Sweden) 100%
hanfsud 100%
Dewil Rituale (Bulgaria) 100%
AngelCryGr (Greece) 100%
Alena (Russia) 100%
Den Gode Hr. Kim (UK) 100%
Brodd (Denmark) 100%
Miquele 100%
SMAX (USA) 100%
Asmara (Austria) 100%
santiagomp 100%
Maudraum (USA) 100%
Ch3m1c4lThr4sh (The Netherlands) 100%
Pucis (UK) 100%
Eleazar (Mexico) 100%
Aquad 100%
valeria (UK) 100%
Oriôn (Belgium) 100%
Trust (Portugal) 100%
Jvenned (Faroe Islands) 100%
MightyMouse (Sweden) 100%
victim (Finland) 100%
svobi_666 (Austria) 100%
Melodeathmetal (The Netherlands) 100%
Wurzelbernd 100%
Izarus (Denmark) 100%
JaimeeFotzeBetrunken (New Zealand) 100%
Buried Dreamer (Brazil) 100%
Rhaz 100%
Doomhammer 100%
Link (Israel) 100%
Fabiana Thoresen (The Netherlands) 100%
Necrozika (Sweden) 100%
wastedcorpse (Estonia) 100%
Vorhana (New Zealand) 100%
JonLovesick (Spain) 100%
Abbath (Spain) 100%
mutantula 100%
Rakshasa 100%
Fjorten (Denmark) 100%
systeema (Latvia) 100%
Alfredo Pliego (Mexico) 100%
guano (Turkey) 100%
alemiglio13 (Italy) 100%
redTobi666 100%
Hammar () 100%
goddec (Slovenia) 100%
MorphineChild (UAE) 100%
ANArhia (Romania) 100%
Üby 100%
JAS DANIEL'S (Switzerland) 100%
Dunkelgeist (Spain) 100%
trchook (Australia) 100%
thorsdottir 100%
FATA ESCARLATA (Czech Republic) 100%
Jamie Yagami (Brazil) 100%
Queoma Ferreira (Brazil) 100%
Malakiitti (Finland) 100%
Stoner Banger (Brazil) 100%
Evolucionista (Venezuela) 100%
kingjelle (The Netherlands) 100%
Sima (Denmark) 100%
Bonesaw () 100%
Likus93 (Spain) 100%
Rooste (Estonia) 100%
jess_lacrymosa (Slovenia) 80%
animal71 (Australia) 70%
dunskii (USA) 60%
Wyrd (Canada) 30%
Coaljin (Denmark) 30%
Anarchy2012 (USA) 10%
DarkFear (Belarus) 10%

News

Reviews

Photo galleries

Comments page 4 / 4

Comments: 120   Visited by: 701 users
04.03.2011 - 13:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Kyuss Lives! is also going to be joining the bands it seems.
04.03.2011 - 13:26
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Valentin B on 04.03.2011 at 13:12

As are you?
----
04.03.2011 - 13:34
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by corrupt on 04.03.2011 at 13:26

Written by Valentin B on 04.03.2011 at 13:12

As are you?

well, it's...

a desperate situation
forced to retaliation,
the task ahead a burden,
my wallet will suffer, that's for certain.

i think i'm gonna be there, as it's by far the only realistic shot i can get to see IE live with Barlow for a few years (and it's not even a headlining slot i think) so i'm gonna have to do it. just now i'm posting a message on the ticket exchange forum in the "will buy ticket" section.

EDIT: after 4 years of listening to this band, i'm finally able to catch them in concert in my home city in november. i'm happy they announced this, but this complicates things with me attending Wacken even more: now i'll be able to get to a headlining show (even though it's with this other guy, i'm mostly there for Schaffer's guitar playing), so there are few more reasons to attend Wacken at all. i shall ponder this at length.
11.06.2011 - 22:12
MarioVillalobos

A band is missing, are pneuma from costa rica (my country) they win the "wackentube"
27.06.2011 - 19:51
corrupt
With a lowercase c
They announced the times. It's the most messed up it's ever been for me in Wacken. Using their running order tool, basically all three days for me are red.
I'm even thinking about emailing them, they put Iced Earth and Shining in the same slot. Don't know what they've been thinking again but that is seriously messed up!
----
28.06.2011 - 14:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by corrupt on 27.06.2011 at 19:51

They announced the times. It's the most messed up it's ever been for me in Wacken. Using their running order tool, basically all three days for me are red.
I'm even thinking about emailing them, they put Iced Earth and Shining in the same slot. Don't know what they've been thinking again but that is seriously messed up!

Shining and Iced Earth at the same time in different tents/stages? That makes sense cause musically they are totally different. Unless you mean Wacken's tool has them on at the same stage at the same time.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.06.2011 - 15:05
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.06.2011 at 14:55

Written by corrupt on 27.06.2011 at 19:51

Shining and Iced Earth at the same time in different tents/stages? That makes sense cause musically they are totally different. Unless you mean Wacken's tool has them on at the same stage at the same time.

Musically that may make sense but it's not like people who go to a festival only watch bands from one genre. Now people can decide between seeing a band that literally never plays in Germany and one that will never ever play with that singer again. That is not cool!
Anyway, I did email them asking to rethink that. Maybe they will. If not, I am disappoint!
----
14.07.2011 - 16:45
COBdeath666

Hi guys!!
I have a ticket to sell 130 euros!
Cheers
14.07.2011 - 17:12
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by COBdeath666 on 14.07.2011 at 16:45

Hi guys!!
Cheers

There's an official ticket exchange forum on the wacken website. Try your luck there.

Edit: OK, that wasn't meant as unfriendly as it sounds. I just wanted to tell you so you have a better chance to sell your ticket and not sit on your 130?
----
14.07.2011 - 17:45
COBdeath666

Written by corrupt on 14.07.2011 at 17:12

Written by COBdeath666 on 14.07.2011 at 16:45

Hi guys!!
Cheers

There's an official ticket exchange forum on the wacken website. Try your luck there.

Edit: OK, that wasn't meant as unfriendly as it sounds. I just wanted to tell you so you have a better chance to sell your ticket and not sit on your 130?

Thank you!!!!
17.07.2011 - 14:56
GT
Coffee!!
Finally got the transport sorted so now I'm ready for the show Way too many clashes in the running order though
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.07.2011 - 15:02
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by GT on 17.07.2011 at 14:56

Way too many clashes in the running order though

Already emailed them about that. No luck though.
----
17.07.2011 - 15:10
GT
Coffee!!
I'm pretty sure it would be near impossible to make a running order suiting me that wouldn't at least create some clashes, but Saturday has only that! Thursday on the other hand is perfect with time to eat and drink in between concerts
----

17.07.2011 - 17:35
Promonex
Cathemeral
Friday:
Morbid Angel vs Skálmöld, Morgoth vs Suidakra, Judas Priest vs Sirenia

Saturday:
Visions of Atlantis and Triosphere vs Girlschool, Kataklysm and Torture Squad vs Onslaught, Iced Earth vs Shining, Kreator vs Danko Jones, Eläkeläiset vs Ghost

No clashes on Wednesday or Thursday. Actually I've been to festivals with worse scheduling for me. The only painful clash is Iced Earth vs Shining.

Btw, I've made a running order for my own use as I prefer knowing what bands play at any given time and not what bands play at any given stage. Might be of use for some of you guys as well, so feel free to print it out

http://hotfile.com/dl/124319615/25c0202/woa_ro11.pdf.html
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
23.07.2011 - 23:49
TheBigRossowski

I'm probably going to meet up with Promonex. Any other Metalstormer meetings arranged?

The Dude abides, man!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
24.07.2011 - 12:48
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by TheBigRossowski on 23.07.2011 at 23:49

I'm probably going to meet up with Promonex. Any other Metalstormer meetings arranged?

The Dude abides, man!

We usually try to meet at the beergarden round 6pm on wednesday. Last year that failed because Promonex was occupied and Valentin didn't show up. But this year I'm positive, we can make it
----
24.07.2011 - 13:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by corrupt on 24.07.2011 at 12:48

The Dude abides, man!

We usually try to meet at the beergarden round 6pm on wednesday. Last year that failed because Promonex was occupied and Valentin didn't show up. But this year I'm positive, we can make it

hey, i was also occupied.. with Promonex, obviously ( )
24.07.2011 - 16:28
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Valentin B on 24.07.2011 at 13:40

The Dude abides, man!

Too occupied to tell me obviously. But it's OK, I don't mind waiting in the rain for two hours. With bare feet. Singing to myself.
----
24.07.2011 - 19:39
TheBigRossowski

Written by corrupt on 24.07.2011 at 16:28

Written by Valentin B on 24.07.2011 at 13:40

The Dude abides, man!

Too occupied to tell me obviously. But it's OK, I don't mind waiting in the rain for two hours. With bare feet. Singing to myself.

I'm establishing a small "Dude Camp" in my area. If I'm there that early on Wednesday, I'll see if I can make it out to the beer garden with my other Dudes. Your also welcome to visit Dude Camp and write on the poster.
----
28.07.2011 - 15:13
Promonex
Cathemeral
Alright, so Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the beer garden? Meeting at the well, I suppose? Duder, you better be there with your uniform! Saves us the need of an MS flag
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
30.07.2011 - 15:47
GT
Coffee!!
I'll be at the beer garden on Wednesday around 6 p.m. then. At least I've met two of you before, so I have an idea what to look for
----

30.07.2011 - 17:37
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by GT on 30.07.2011 at 15:47

I'll be at the beer garden on Wednesday around 6 p.m. then. At least I've met two of you before, so I have an idea what to look for

Chuck Norris like awesomeness and beautyful naked bodies covered in oil. That'll be us.
----
31.07.2011 - 12:45
TheBigRossowski

Written by Promonex on 28.07.2011 at 15:13

Alright, so Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the beer garden? Meeting at the well, I suppose? Duder, you better be there with your uniform! Saves us the need of an MS flag

You know it, man! The Dude abides! I just don't know if we'll be on time or not. Anyways, you got my number now, just ugh, send me a text message if we're late and I'll let you know what's going on.
----
31.07.2011 - 17:30
buki of steel
Crystal Ann
I will try also to attend the ms meeting...
01.08.2011 - 10:56
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
If anyone is there on day 1 try catching Eccentric Pendulum. They're a band from India.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
07.08.2011 - 18:56
TheBigRossowski

I take it there was no meeting cause Daniel (Promonex) didn't fuckin' write me! lol

That or some other unknown supernatural event occurred. I arrived real fuckin' late though, got to the beergarden around 1900. We'd been sitting in traffic for two hours. We left this morning around 0700 though. So... HA!
----
07.08.2011 - 20:04
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by TheBigRossowski on 07.08.2011 at 18:56

I take it there was no meeting cause Daniel (Promonex) didn't fuckin' write me! lol

That or some other unknown supernatural event occurred. I arrived real fuckin' late though, got to the beergarden around 1900. We'd been sitting in traffic for two hours. We left this morning around 0700 though. So... HA!

There was one. We were looking out for you for a while but Promonex said you'd know how to contact him.
----
08.08.2011 - 05:55
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by corrupt on 07.08.2011 at 20:04

There was one. We were looking out for you for a while but Promonex said you'd know how to contact him.

Actually he said that he forgot to write down The Dude's mobile number and that he was hoping that The Dude still had Promonex's number.
----
08.08.2011 - 12:24
TheBigRossowski

Written by Promonex on 08.08.2011 at 05:55

Written by corrupt on 07.08.2011 at 20:04

Actually he said that he forgot to write down The Dude's mobile number and that he was hoping that The Dude still had Promonex's number.

Dude, I don't think I ever had your number, lol. Guess it'll have to wait until the big 25th Wacken. I saw a few other Dudes in bathrobes though! Fuckin' groovy, man. They weren't too good with the whole quote thing though, lol. I've got Big Lebowski DOWN.

Hope you Dudes had a most excellent time!
----
12.08.2011 - 11:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
In the end obviously i didn't go, but what was really weird i received some messages from you guys literally the moment i arrived in Germany last tuesday: Promonex (i think) was saying he was going to catch Apocalyptica or something, and that maybe you can meet there. then when i closed the message window and tried to see it again i couldn't find it

there were two hot redheads on that flight with Wacken shirts too, so for a moment there i thought "ahh, you bastards, why is everyone making me come to Wacken??!"

Hits total: 38845 | This month: 14