Soul Betrayed - Soul Betrayed review

Reviewer:
Band: Soul Betrayed
Album: Soul Betrayed
Release date: 2009

01. Rising
02. No More Tears
03. Search Of Purity

A new band from France, Soul Betrayed play some Gothenburg-style metal, influenced, according to them, by Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquillity.
I was a bit skeptical at first - one more band in a genre overcrowded with generic releases - but thankfully my doubts didn't last long.

Well, to be honest, the beginning of "Rising", the first song, didn't do anything to calm down my fears. It's generic, and quite hesitant on top of it. But when the melodic twin guitars lines and solos come to the front, it's another matter entirely! There's already a great mastery of melody in this parts, and sure the guitar players know how to use their instruments well.
As for the influences and comparisons, the main one is without doubts, as they say, Dark Tranquillity (but, let's add that there are some Loudblast touches here and there, on the more mid-tempo parts). And so, Soul Betrayed play some Gothenburg-style metal, but not the 'modern' stuff, with its quite simplistic song structures and poppy choruses. Harsh vocals it is, with complex riffs, great leads, and songs that have some twists and turns. "No More Tears" is quite clearly the best one of the three, with its great intro riff and good soloing...
Also, I must add that they have a really good sound; powerful, quite clear but not clean, it is really professional.

Original? Not really... yet. Promising? Yeah, sure! Soul Betrayed can already put to shame more established bands with this first EP?
So let's see what they will do next, if they keep the high quality level they've got (or better yet, improve it), they'll be a force to reckon with in future!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 14.08.2010 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 35 users
15.08.2010 - 13:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but thanks for the recommendation.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.08.2010 - 14:22
Darkside Momo
Retired
Ou're welcome!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"

Hits total: 3256 | This month: 6