Album: The Nightlitany
Release date: 2009

01. The Macabre March
02. Suffocating Night
03. Archways If Stars
04. The Afternoon Of A Faun
05. Ambiguous Greeds
06. Dewforged Fairy

WARNING: In case this [link] turns you off, you shouldn't continue reading this review. You shouldn't listen to their music. You should try to forget the name Ethereal Faun again very quickly and hope that you never hear of them again. Because Ethereal Faun are cheesy, very cheesy. Don't forget that I'm from Switzerland, so I know exactly what a real cheese fondue is like.

Now that we've settled this central issue - and hopefully only my fellow cheese-lovers are still reading at this point - what's the music on The Nightlitany like? Folk metal (without folk instruments though) mixed with power metal with female vocals, some great acoustic passages and a couple of death grunts. Something in the vein of Elvenking meets Magica. All the musicians are pretty good on their instruments and vocalist Marta Pierdominici can produce some nice tones as well. The songwriting doesn't exactly sound very mature yet, but has a lot of good approaches and sometimes even hints at greatness. Considering that this EP is their first release apart from a demo in 2008 and that The Nightlitany was released independently, this is a great effort. I think, and hope, that we can expect to hear a lot about these guys in the future. One big downside is the production though. It just sounds badly mixed and produced on some parts of the EP. A shame really as it numbs a bit of the enjoyment in listening to Ethereal Faun.

If I had my own label I'd sign this band right away. They've got the talent, they know how to write songs, they have a fresh sound to them and all in all they have the potential to release a bomb of an album (Hiroshima beware, there's another one on its way). Should you enjoy both Magica and Elvenking; get this EP. This is exactly your kind of thing.

To finish the review I have a really funny sketch about a cheese shop for you, after all the music is extremely cheesy, but we love that, don't we? [Link]

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 6

Written by Bas | 28.06.2009

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 15 users
17.08.2010 - 09:47
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
These songs are pretty good but good god their vocalist is terrible. Maybe if they could replace her these guys could be pretty solid.

Hits total: 3678 | This month: 6