Metal Storm logo
Shaolin Death Squad

17.08.2010 - 12:42
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
This thread is opened to discuss the unique band Shaolin Death Squad. The simplest label for their style would be progressive metal, but they also encompass many other styles (avantgarde, experimental, psychedelic, technical, w/e). Their first self-titled EP was released in 2004 and have since released two full-lengths. They hail from Denton, TX, USA.
Their myspace states their music sounds like "One hand clapping." I personally like the description of carnival metal music...

Their influences are listed as: "Confucius, Buddha, Mr. Bungle, Danny Elfman, Oingo Boingo, Zappa, King Crimson, Dimmu Borgir, Ozric Tentacles, Tub Ring, Estradasphere, Slayer, Devin Townsend, Ween, Journey, Supertramp, Boston, Chicago, Europe, Faith No More, Refused, Secret Chiefs3, Radiohead, Tom Waits, System Of A Down, Dillinger Escape Plan, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Bowie, Michael Jackson, Don Caballero, Pink Floyd, Roky Erickson..."
- so you can see the bizarre taste that they already have going into making their music.

I guarantee 99.9% of Pain of Salvation fans will like this band, which is why they have been linked (sorry for the annoying update :/ ).

After seeing the band image and name I was definitely not expecting what I heard...

Shaolin Death Squad Myspace

Their latest album Five Deadly Venoms should be up for the 2010 MS Awards Progressive category, so lets get those suggestion votes up and have them added! Band Suggestion Link

Here is an interesting song from their first 2006 full-length Intelligent Design: "Choreographer Of Fate"
17.08.2010 - 17:45
warrior_of_ice

The funniest thing is that i truly hear a bit of each of their listed influences
18.08.2010 - 01:53
whatsacow

Sounds awesome, i must check them out.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
18.08.2010 - 16:25
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Why the masks? why?

Good band, but I can't taken anything serious if they use masks
----
18.08.2010 - 23:12
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by 4look4rd on 18.08.2010 at 16:25

Why the masks? why?

Good band, but I can't taken anything serious if they use masks

I remember looking at the band image and name and thinking "this is probably some dumbass nu-metal pseduo-prog with a ninja as a DJ" but being stunned at what I heard. This made me much more intrigued, looking into it I found they are obsessed with old Kung-Fu films and ancient Chinese philosophy, their new album Five Deadly Venoms is even partially a concept of the film of the same name. Looking at their live performances, they are very influenced by the theatrics of Peter Gabriel-era Genesis and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Regardless, I think they fail to see how with the cheesiness of late regarding masks can negatively affect people's perceptions. Maybe they will take this into account, but I doubt it, seeing as they are kind of in their own world.
19.08.2010 - 01:38
Culty

Don't know if it is true but i read somewhere (can't remember where) but the drummer is actually Matt Thompson from King Diamond. But, again, dunno if its true!
----
Gfnttlr
19.08.2010 - 01:43
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Culty on 19.08.2010 at 01:38

Don't know if it is true but i read somewhere (can't remember where) but the drummer is actually Matt Thompson from King Diamond. But, again, dunno if its true!

You're right! Holy shit...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=133298
19.08.2010 - 01:45
Culty

Oh okay, awesome! Yeah, I think these guys sound pretty awesome. When I saw their name I was expecting some Nu Metal band that was accidentally put into the melodic forum. haha
----
Gfnttlr
21.08.2010 - 20:36
Fat & Sassy!

This picture reminds me of Arcturus. xD
29.08.2010 - 02:36
igogo3000

Thank you Introspekrieg for the post! I visited MS from time to time and everytime surprised not finding SDS here
13.11.2010 - 22:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have been trying to get into Five Deadly Venoms for soooooo long, and finally it seems like it started growing on me. I also noticed some resemblance to Haken.

I totally love the interpretation they made on the last track by the way. I love the keyboard arrangement in the middle, but Matt Thompson definitely overdid it with his drum fills. It would sound so much better with simple (or simpler) beat.

Anyways, seems like I might actually enjoy it to the full sometime soon.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.01.2011 - 07:37
Susan
Smeghead
Excellent music! Why am I just learning of this band?

Five Deadly Venoms is a wonderful album, so interesting. When I first read this thread I thought the bit about the "one hand clapping" was funny, and combined with the masks and the OP referring to them as circus music, I honestly expected something really gimmicky. Oh how wrong I was. It's certainly fun at times but overall it's beautiful, interesting, thoughtfully made music. And damn good!!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.02.2011 - 17:52
Susan
Smeghead
This album gets better and better with each listen. It's still at the point where each listen is a complete revelation

So I just got my hands on their previous album, Intelligent Design. If it's anything like Five Deadly Venoms then it will take a while to sink in and get a real opinion out of me, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Oh! I'm so happy that Five Deadly Venoms was nominated in the MS awards this year, deservingly so. Have they garnered any new fans from that nomination?
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
09.08.2011 - 02:50
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust