Metal Storm logo
Dubstep

Original post

Posted by Got Mayhem?, 17.08.2010 - 19:31
Nothing for Dubstep here? A shame. For me there is nothing like rolling down a highway late at night with friends in the back , the bass turned all the way up and some quality Dubstep going through the speakers.

And yes, cranking the bass is necessary, not an option.
14.01.2012 - 05:28
Edmund Fogg

For thse complaining about Dubstep and specially Troy the atmo bitch here is a different take on the genre

http://shem.bandcamp.com/album/remixes-mashups-ep
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
14.01.2012 - 06:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Oh please, I'm not complaining about it.

I'm making fun of it. There's a big difference.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.01.2012 - 13:49
Edmund Fogg

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.01.2012 at 06:53

Oh please, I'm not complaining about it.

I'm making fun of it. There's a big difference.

and I'm not calling you the Atmo bitch in a diminutive way, but in a funny way. If I sounded pissed, rest assure it wasn't the case. What did you thought of Shem
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
15.01.2012 - 00:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Edmund Fogg on 14.01.2012 at 13:49
and I'm not calling you the Atmo bitch in a diminutive way, but in a funny way. If I sounded pissed, rest assure it wasn't the case. What did you thought of Shem

I figured as much. I didn't have the time to check them out last night, but I might have time tonight.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.01.2012 - 19:14
Uldreth

Written by Edmund Fogg on 14.01.2012 at 05:28

For thse complaining about Dubstep and specially Troy the atmo bitch here is a different take on the genre

This is possibly the best 'modern' dubstep (with a bit of DnB touch, nontheless) I have ever heard, aside from maybe NiT GriT. Thank you for that. Also checked the Fear of Living EP, awesomeness continued.
15.01.2012 - 23:12
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Uldreth on 15.01.2012 at 19:14

This is possibly the best 'modern' dubstep (with a bit of DnB touch, nontheless) I have ever heard, aside from maybe NiT GriT. Thank you for that. Also checked the Fear of Living EP, awesomeness continued.

That's what I appreciate about good modern dubstep. It's melancholic, yet somewhat colourful and soothing. If you like Shem and NiT GriT, you might also enjoy Arkasia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoqBov5u2Fo

Yes, there's a lot of this Occupy stuff in his music. Took me a while to ignore it. Be aware that most stuff you'll find on Youtube and Soundcloud are just previews. And as such, they focus on the bass drop, not on the soothing build-ups which make his music so enjoyable.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
16.01.2012 - 00:47
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Its hard for me to find dubstep bands I like. If anybody is got any suggestions for stuff similar to Jazzsteppa, Kryptic Minds or Benga, post some links

----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
16.01.2012 - 17:55
Uldreth

Written by Promonex on 15.01.2012 at 23:12

That's what I appreciate about good modern dubstep. It's melancholic, yet somewhat colourful and soothing. If you like Shem and NiT GriT, you might also enjoy Arkasia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoqBov5u2Fo

Yes, there's a lot of this Occupy stuff in his music. Took me a while to ignore it. Be aware that most stuff you'll find on Youtube and Soundcloud are just previews. And as such, they focus on the bass drop, not on the soothing build-ups which make his music so enjoyable.

Omg.

I loved it. It is just astounding how it uses the same washmachine bass effect as contemporary mainstream examples of the genre does yet how much better it is, especially that it is not the least bit irritating whereas it is quite often so in the worse type.
It is also quite 'epic' and it is seriously more complex than a lot of things I have heard in the genre and I like how it can keep its atmospheric touch without having to resort to being completely ambient, like Synkro or Burial is. And there is that subtle keyboard melody from 4:08 on, ahhhhhh. Not to mention, drops here are actually used to separate synth lines with different mood/melody rather than to spam it senselessly.

As a side note, it reminds me a bit of Feint, he is an amateur liquid DnB producer, I've essentially seen his 'rise' since when I first found his music he only had a few self-released tracks on yourtube and that is it.
He has a few dubstep-esque tracks too and I thought this to be pretty good (along with most of his stuff, though they definitely are a bit sugary) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrKRg7XE8P0&feature=relmfu though nowhere near as complex as that Arkasia track. I think I'm gonna look up Arkasia and I hope most of his other works are like this. in qualities and values.

By the way, if you or anyone else can recommend some other artists who play a style similiar to these mentioned (NiT GriT, Shem, Arkasia) I am excited to hear some materials.
08.03.2012 - 15:24
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
These guys are awesome. I love it when dubstep isn't just about the drops.

http://phutureprimitive.bandcamp.com/album/kinetik
----

Last fm
Don't click here
07.10.2012 - 21:01
Uldreth

Heard this track a couple of days ago, it is amazing. I heard Kryptic Minds being praised by dubstep nerds and this track definitely backs them, I really need to look into this guy more.

Edit: And lol I just notice there is a Kryptic Minds post above mine on this page...
07.10.2012 - 23:28
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Promonex on 15.01.2012 at 23:12

Written by Uldreth on 15.01.2012 at 19:14

you might also enjoy Arkasia:

Catchy tune.

Has anyone listened to Burial? Their Untrue album is highly praised.
----
07.10.2012 - 23:57
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Uldreth on 07.10.2012 at 21:01

Edit: And lol I just notice there is a Kryptic Minds post above mine on this page...

But they are cool, so another recco is always good
----

Last fm
Don't click here
08.10.2012 - 00:20
Uldreth

Written by Spirit Molecule on 07.10.2012 at 23:57

Written by Uldreth on 07.10.2012 at 21:01

But they are cool, so another recco is always good

Yep. Listened to a couple of tracks from Can't Sleep, awesome stuff.

Nosurper: You ducked up quotations mate But yeah I know Burial and it is an awesome album. If you don't know it already check out a producer called Distance, he makes music that is aesthetically similiar to Burial but is less ambient in nature.
08.10.2012 - 00:52
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Haha, yup
----
08.10.2012 - 00:53
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
And thanks for the rec
----
25.11.2012 - 21:43
Uldreth

Unusual track by Distance, positively awesome.

30.11.2012 - 22:16
Kanto

I actually liked some of the stuff I clicked here...it seems that Skrillex hasn't done a good job publishing the genre.
----
...Dude.
03.01.2013 - 08:31
DelightfulJim

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 09:36

Yo dawg I heard you like dubstep so I -- posted a parody link. nbd

This is fucking amazing.

Anyway, dubstep is cool. Most kids seem to think it started with Skrillex many (3 or 4) years ago, but it came about in the mid-90's did it not? I dunno, I find it interesting nonetheless.

I like Burial, because they're chill as fuck :

And Knife Party, because they have a distinct rock influence, especially since they're led by Rob Swire, of Pendulum :

Really though it's just like any other type of music : Most of it sucks, but it'll have some examples of good shit.
03.01.2013 - 19:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by DelightfulJim on 03.01.2013 at 08:31

This is fucking amazing.

Anyway, dubstep is cool. Most kids seem to think it started with Skrillex many (3 or 4) years ago, but it came about in the mid-90's did it not? I dunno, I find it interesting nonetheless.

I like Burial, because they're chill as fuck :

I really like Burial but from what I've read and such he really isn't dubstep.

It's also my understanding that dubstep was derived, as least partially, from UK garage (an area of music I'm hugely fond of) so I can't see it being around in the mid-nineties.
03.01.2013 - 21:11
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 03.01.2013 at 19:17

It's also my understanding that dubstep was derived, as least partially, from UK garage (an area of music I'm hugely fond of) so I can't see it being around in the mid-nineties.

Yup, you're correct, stems from Uk Garage and jamacian Dub music (hence the name). Usually fast electronic music with erratic beats. The Wub wub sound isn't even a defining factor in dubstep, that just comes from the "OMg Skirllex!!11!" kids.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.01.2013 - 21:57
thundercunt
Account deleted
Playa soundin like he jus readin some wiki article
wobble bass and bass drop be part of dubstep eva since it came out dawg
it start out as sorta hybrid garage music wit all da facet a dub
jus cuz skrillex poplarize it don mean that cats music ain legit
it jus water down compare to all da old stuff
03.01.2013 - 23:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.01.2013 at 21:57

Playa soundin like he jus readin some wiki article
wobble bass and bass drop be part of dubstep eva since it came out dawg
it start out as sorta hybrid garage music wit all da facet a dub
jus cuz skrillex poplarize it don mean that cats music ain legit
it jus water down compare to all da old stuff

Yo yo, Kid Rock, play fair. At least I / he hadn't just seen Bad Boys II a week ago and is trying to pass his self off as Harlem's newest flava

Besides, I was actually of thinking age when garage was a thing and don't recall anything like dubstep at the time. That makes me a primary source. And Burial is not dubstep if you ask me, and that's from an understanding of ambient electronic music.
04.01.2013 - 02:06
Uldreth

It was conceived somewhere along the early 2000s and perhaps late 90s. I know Horsepower Productions was around in 2000-ish and they were a pretty early dubstep group.

I haven't heard that much newer Burial stuff but I'd definitely call the selftitled and Untrue dubstep, although a pretty far-off version of it.
05.01.2013 - 02:54
thundercunt
Account deleted
Dis ain got nuthin to do wit bad boys or anythin, i was jus sayin it seem like he tryna pass off some knowledge he don really have, you know
i don lissten to burial like that otha brotha so i can say whether r not they cats play dubstep
12.01.2013 - 22:38
Uldreth

Best of brostep.
13.01.2013 - 01:17
Promonex
Cathemeral
I actually agree with Uldreth. Burial was the first time I heard about dubstep, back then promoted by jupitreas and Zombie, M.D. on this site. There were no drops or wobs back then, it felt more like laid-back 2step. Same for Skream and Distance, but Skream already had some of those filthy wobs that are the foundation of what some people call filthstep nowadays. Anyway, some years later I heard about dubstep again, this time associated with Skrillex and I thought: "hey, that's an interesting mix of dubstep and house with some glitch and IDM moments". And suddenly this was the very definition of how dubstep is supposed to sound like in order to be categorized as dubstep. I still can't get my mind around how this genre - or let's say genre definition - changed so much in such short time, to be honest.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26