Metal Storm logo
Dubstep

17.08.2010 - 19:31
Got Mayhem?

Nothing for Dubstep here? A shame. For me there is nothing like rolling down a highway late at night with friends in the back , the bass turned all the way up and some quality Dubstep going through the speakers.

And yes, cranking the bass is necessary, not an option.
----
17.08.2010 - 19:56
warrior_of_ice

I strongly dislike the dubstep genre, however this isnt too bad of a song. have to friends who are fanboys of Rusko, Caspa and Borgore- play that annoying shit non-stop.
17.08.2010 - 20:49
Got Mayhem?

I'm not a huge fan, but some songs (like this one) I really really enjoy. At the risk of sounding insanely cheesy this music just goes perfectly with the cool summer air on a dark night. It's chill stuff, and I'm a huge fan of chill stuff.

If you like that track also try
Nero - Innocence
the dubstep remix of Alborosie's "Herbalist"
----
18.08.2010 - 20:11
warrior_of_ice

Written by Got Mayhem? on 17.08.2010 at 20:49

I'm not a huge fan, but some songs (like this one) I really really enjoy. At the risk of sounding insanely cheesy this music just goes perfectly with the cool summer air on a dark night. It's chill stuff, and I'm a huge fan of chill stuff.

If you like that track also try
Nero - Innocence
the dubstep remix of Alborosie's "Herbalist"

If you want some 'chill stuff' i suggest you check out A State of Trance (name gives away the genre) or some DnB in the form of VA compilations. Ive really been into VA Hospitality Drum and Bass 2010. I can send you a torrent if you want.
18.08.2010 - 20:23
Darkside Momo
Retired
Well, I didn't really like the song you put in your first post, but I do like to listen some Burial and Distance...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
19.08.2010 - 04:45
tulkas
el parcero
Written by warrior_of_ice on 18.08.2010 at 20:11

If you want some 'chill stuff' i suggest you check out A State of Trance (name gives away the genre) or some DnB in the form of VA compilations. Ive really been into VA Hospitality Drum and Bass 2010. I can send you a torrent if you want.

I'd appreciate the link Any song(s) you recommend to check out on youtube?
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
22.08.2010 - 01:18
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Dubstep has been one of my favorite genres for an ongoing period of time now. I don't know, the polyrythms and heavy bass just flood my brain with endorphin. It's better than your standard techno, than your standard trance, than your standard electronica music. It's just... fucking hot.

here's a good one, I highly recommend King Cannibal's debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8lZwEJRL24
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
22.08.2010 - 17:43
Baz Anderson

There isn't many kinds of music - if any at all - that I can't stand stand more than dubstep. I hate it.
Someone else I know loves it though... weird stuff.
22.08.2010 - 20:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I dislike dubstep quite a bit, perhaps for a slightly different reason from others (but also because it's generally awful) in that there was a fantastic breakcore thing going on in my hometown for a long time which I enjoyed a lot (even though that kinda took over from the EBM thing going on) but it, almost overnight, became overshadowed by dumbstep, I mean dubstep and now everyone's into it. Pretty much all I've heard is insipid wank that you can barely dance to and I find it hideously mainstream and easy in sound. Considering it's the bastard child of garage, which I also loved, it's strange that I don't like it but there we go.

However I do quite like the doomstep of Snares' 'The Sabbath Dubs' but that's probably only because it's Aaron Funk doing Black Sabbath.

Anyway who cares; new Igorrr album out in the next couple of months; experimental breakcore expertly spliced with death metal, baroque, ambient, electro, choral throat singing and fuck knows what else. It will be the album of the year. People should download 'Moisissure' which is free incidentally and still ranks as the greatest release of '08, owning even Esoteric. Breakcore for people who don't like breakcore. Possibly the greatest album of the decade. Dubstep indeed! Lol.
24.08.2010 - 00:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Amusing (perhaps) video for the Sabbath Dubs song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bshN1JHymMk
24.08.2010 - 00:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 22.08.2010 at 20:19

People should download 'Moisissure' which is free incidentally and still ranks as the greatest release of '08, owning even Esoteric.

No!

And yes! I do search through the forums to see who is calling which albums better than The Maniacal Vale, just so I can bash their skulls in and ban their IPs.

Or, I can download this album.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.08.2010 - 00:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 24.08.2010 at 00:35

People should download 'Moisissure' which is free incidentally and still ranks as the greatest release of '08, owning even Esoteric.

No!

And yes! I do search through the forums to see who is calling which albums better than The Maniacal Vale, just so I can bash their skulls in and ban their IPs.

Or, I can download this album.

Heheh it's not a statement I make lightly and at the time I couldn't choose between them (especially considering how different they are) but the last couple of years I've found myself listening to that Igorrr album a little more.

You could just check out these two songs of Igorrr which I regard as the best and perhaps most representative and just go from there really:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYxu2G8zdEw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3y14bZEu2Q&feature=related
24.08.2010 - 00:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Thanks. Actually, last weekend I was at an incredibly large pretending-to-be-indie-but-in-fact-huge-and-commercial festival in the Netherlands, and there were a lot of drum & bass, dubstep and techno DJs. From what I'm told, quite a couple of good names were present. I know next to nothing about the entire dance movement except for a couple of big names, but I definitely enjoyed myself until the wee small hours of the morning, getting my freak on, hehe. So maybe I should give this topic a go.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.08.2010 - 00:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 24.08.2010 at 00:42

Thanks. Actually, last weekend I was at an incredibly large pretending-to-be-indie-but-in-fact-huge-and-commercial festival in the Netherlands, and there were a lot of drum & bass, dubstep and techno DJs. From what I'm told, quite a couple of good names were present. I know next to nothing about the entire dance movement except for a couple of big names, but I definitely enjoyed myself until the wee small hours of the morning, getting my freak on, hehe. So maybe I should give this topic a go.

I don't really know much about it myself, most of the time it's something I enjoy as a culture/social kind of thing, A lot of he music I would never listen to in my room, I would just be a little pointless and a whole bunch of it is just arse anyway. This kind of music is more to do with the people I know rather than my own personal taste which sounds kind of odd really.
24.08.2010 - 00:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 24.08.2010 at 00:45

I don't really know much about it myself, most of the time it's something I enjoy as a culture/social kind of thing, A lot of he music I would never listen to in my room, I would just be a little pointless and a whole bunch of it is just arse anyway. This kind of music is more to do with the people I know rather than my own personal taste which sounds kind of odd really.

Nah, sounds perfectly reasonable. I've relistened to a couple of artists I freaked out on last weekend and... it's just not the same. Enjoyable melodies and such but not even half the impact. It might have to do with my current festival hangover, but I'm afraid that's only part of the reason it lacks impact.
----

24.08.2010 - 00:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 24.08.2010 at 00:49

Nah, sounds perfectly reasonable. I've relistened to a couple of artists I freaked out on last weekend and... it's just not the same. Enjoyable melodies and such but not even half the impact. It might have to do with my current festival hangover, but I'm afraid that's only part of the reason it lacks impact.

Sounds about right, much of it is probably built purely for live performances with people on various intoxicants. It's hard to get the same impact on speakers.
24.08.2010 - 06:20
Visioneerie
Urban Monster

Check the link I provided on my former post. If that appeals to you chances are you'll enjoy alot of what dubstep has to offer. Drum n' bass is quite a similar genre and I'm not entirely sure how to differentiate the two. An absolute monster in drum n' bass is an artist that's from your country under the name of DJ Hidden, maybe he was among the roster in that festival of yours.

Umm, I'll link you a few tracks, see what you think of em'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emRUahy2uE&feature=related
(this track has the breakbeat thing going on. the glamor of dubstep are the sound samplings and the amazing productions)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvANW7mliBQ&feature=related
(whether that voice in the background sounds epic or retarded is entirely up to you, i'm more on the epic side)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOqzd6T6uus&feature=search
(good example of dubstep with vocals. this one is among my favorites. just eerie and unsettling man)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoSHwN62_m8&feature=search
(this here is a cross genre of drum n' bass and UK grime -hip hop scene heavily influenced by garage and dubstep- producer is Amon Tobin drum n' bass guru and the rapper is Sway who shines way more on this collaboration record than his own stuff imo.)

so tell me what you think man and if you find yourself digging that grimey track let me know I'll recommend you some more grime.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
24.08.2010 - 21:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Good stuff, but still not even close to the impact it had during the festival. I guess this really isn't anything for me to listen to in a home-setting. Perhaps while drinking a couple of beers with a couple of mates, but I even doubt that. Still, thanks for the trouble though.

By the way, I'll list a couple of the artists I saw. Of some I remember specifically who they where and what I thought, of others I don't because they all followed each other up without breaks and I couldn't really be bothered to check the time and the schedule.

Friday: Black Sun Empire, Netsky, Baskerville (ok, but not as good as the others of this night), Ed Rush
Saturday: The Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77 (freaking awesome, but dissapointing in their studio work), Plastikman (disappointing because I heard he's a legend?), Olene Kadar, Darko Esser/Benny Rodriguez, Dave Clark, Len Faki

After that I missed out on Deadmau5, A-Trak, Major Lazer, Dr. Lektroluv and Boemklatsch because I honestly couldn't move anymore.
----

25.08.2010 - 00:04
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
Not a big fan of the genre and don't really know enough about it, but I really like some artists which have dubstep background, so to say. Burial, for instance, although it's a bit overhyped, and Boxcutter. "Glyphic" is an awesome album, very dreamlike and slightly agressive at the same time.

@!J.O.O.E.!: Gave Igorrr a listen. I was a bit turned off due to the weirdness in the beginning but I'm digging it now.
25.08.2010 - 02:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by John Barleycorn on 25.08.2010 at 00:04

@!J.O.O.E.!: Gave Igorrr a listen. I was a bit turned off due to the weirdness in the beginning but I'm digging it now.

Weird is certainly an appropriate way to describe him. Most of his songs take on different personas and genres and unlike other breakcore artists he doesn't seem to be obsessed with technicality (like absurd time signatures) or danceyness but more about interesting and unusual composition and arrangements of a ridiculous amount of instrumentation and styles but whilst maintaining a sense of listenability. For the most part. An experimentalist basically.
29.08.2010 - 19:04
Got Mayhem?

I think I posted some Igorrr stuff in the shoutbox a long time ago, pretty interesting stuff. But what it has to do with Dubstep is beyond me...
----
29.08.2010 - 19:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Got Mayhem? on 29.08.2010 at 19:04

I think I posted some Igorrr stuff in the shoutbox a long time ago, pretty interesting stuff. But what it has to do with Dubstep is beyond me...

Snares is a dub project by breakcore legend Aaron Funk of Venetian Snares and Igorrr is a breakcore artist often compared to Venetian Snares. Tenuous links for the win.
29.08.2010 - 19:32
Got Mayhem?

Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 19:20

Snares is a dub project by breakcore legend Aaron Funk of Venetian Snares and Igorrr is a breakcore artist often compared to Venetian Snares. Tenuous links for the win.

About as legitimate as connecting Burger King to Slayer by route of Kerry King.
----
29.08.2010 - 19:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Got Mayhem? on 29.08.2010 at 19:32

Written by Guest on 29.08.2010 at 19:20

About as legitimate as connecting Burger King to Slayer by route of Kerry King.

Sounds good to me.
29.08.2010 - 20:04
warrior_of_ice

Written by Visioneerie on 22.08.2010 at 01:18

Dubstep has been one of my favorite genres for an ongoing period of time now. I don't know, the polyrythms and heavy bass just flood my brain with endorphin. It's better than your standard techno, than your standard trance, than your standard electronica music. It's just... fucking hot.

dubstep is a fad
29.08.2010 - 20:05
warrior_of_ice

Written by Baz Anderson on 22.08.2010 at 17:43

There isn't many kinds of music - if any at all - that I can't stand stand more than dubstep. I hate it.
Someone else I know loves it though... weird stuff.

im with u on this one, cheers!
30.08.2010 - 01:54
Darkside Momo
Retired

Anyway who cares; new Igorrr album out in the next couple of months; experimental breakcore expertly spliced with death metal, baroque, ambient, electro, choral throat singing and fuck knows what else. It will be the album of the year. People should download 'Moisissure' which is free incidentally and still ranks as the greatest release of '08, owning even Esoteric. Breakcore for people who don't like breakcore. Possibly the greatest album of the decade. Dubstep indeed! Lol.

Some things to say about this Igorrr, now that's I've listened to it:
- it IS pretty weird indeed... and really interesting
- I don't really thing it's dubstep, so you're off-topic oh, me too
- and, according to myspace, Moisissure was released in 2009... So it can't own Esoteric at all
Anyway, thanks for the recommendation !
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
30.08.2010 - 12:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 30.08.2010 at 01:54

Some things to say about this Igorrr, now that's I've listened to it:
- it IS pretty weird indeed... and really interesting
- I don't really thing it's dubstep, so you're off-topic oh, me too
- and, according to myspace, Moisissure was released in 2009... So it can't own Esoteric at all
Anyway, thanks for the recommendation !

Yeah definitely no dubstep in his music - one of the few things he hasn't incorporated into his sound. I was just a bit stoked after hearing the news of a new album, should've just made a breakcore thread really. Hmm, not sure why the Myspace says 2009, I first listened to it midway through '08, I remember coz I spent an absolute age deliberating over a lengthy best of 08 list I put on Last.fm which can be found here interestingly enough =D last.fm/user/Sarcastic_Smile/journal/2008/11/28/2azp5g_top_50_albums_of_2008_-_the_indispensable_guide!

Glad you like it, he's a bit of a musical prodigy and I like how he can make a comparatively one dimensional genre like breakcore deep and interesting like metal can be.
30.08.2010 - 18:31
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Lucas on 24.08.2010 at 21:19

Good stuff, but still not even close to the impact it had during the festival. I guess this really isn't anything for me to listen to in a home-setting. Perhaps while drinking a couple of beers with a couple of mates, but I even doubt that. Still, thanks for the trouble though.

By the way, I'll list a couple of the artists I saw. Of some I remember specifically who they where and what I thought, of others I don't because they all followed each other up without breaks and I couldn't really be bothered to check the time and the schedule.

Friday: Black Sun Empire, Netsky, Baskerville (ok, but not as good as the others of this night), Ed Rush
Saturday: The Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77 (freaking awesome, but dissapointing in their studio work), Plastikman (disappointing because I heard he's a legend?), Olene Kadar, Darko Esser/Benny Rodriguez, Dave Clark, Len Faki

After that I missed out on Deadmau5, A-Trak, Major Lazer, Dr. Lektroluv and Boemklatsch because I honestly couldn't move anymore.

Black Sun Empire and Plastikman are the only ones I know out of your listed artists both of which are household names. I can imagine that dubstep just gets even better as a live experience with the lightings and everything. I'll check out some of those other artists you listed, thanks.
----
30.08.2010 - 18:33
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by warrior_of_ice on 29.08.2010 at 20:04

Written by Visioneerie on 22.08.2010 at 01:18

dubstep is a fad

So can any other music type be for that matter.
----