04. Sightless
05. Losing Tomorrow
06. Blue Gallery
07. Infinite Submission

Top 20 albums of 1997: 9

Guest review by
Sleep In Sorrow
Rating:
Damn, I was surprised to see that nobody has reviewed this album yet... it's surprising considering it's almost 10 years old (actually, it is 10 years old, it was recorded in 95, just not released until 97... but that's not the point), so, well, here I go...

As you may know, October Tide was the side project of Katatonia's vocalist Jonas Renske and guitarist and (at the time) bassist Fredrik Norrman, as well as session musicians (for the violin and keys) and well, Jonas said the reason for which he decided to dissolve this side project was that too many good ideas were being used in this band that would be best used in their main band... and it shows. What we have here is 39 minutes of pure early-Katatonia-like sorrow. At times it kinda reminds me of their demo era, at times of Dance of December Souls, at times of Brave Murder Day... but it's still different from all of these releases. The guitar riffs are beautiful and memorable, heavy at times, melodically soaring at others, all the time with a melancholic feel to them, but still keeping an almost upbeat sound (see the beginning of "All Painted Cold"). There's also the use of acoustic guitars, as well as tempo and structure changes (needless to say, but the songs don't follow a verse chorus verse structure). Oh, yes, and there's the use of a violin and some keyboards (very little, though, don't run away, keyboard haters) too, which adds up to the atmosphere very nicely. Another thing that is pretty amazing are Jonas vocals here... they sound nothing like in Katatonia (even in their demo/debut era). Instead of screaming his lungs out, he uses a low, raspy, pain-ridden ghoul-like growl (though there are a few screams thrown here and there, of course) and they sound awesome.

Read more ››
published 16.10.2005 | Comments (5)

Found in 30 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 761 users
19.08.2010 - 17:23
Rating: 9
JÄY
Metal slave
Prolly the best doom/death recording ....... get the remaster
28.03.2015 - 12:56
Rating: 10
me<3mertl

Best doom metal album of all time!
18.06.2016 - 22:10
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
One of the best death/doom albums of the 90's (and all time I suppose). Surprised how much I revisit this
06.06.2017 - 23:42
Redel

I have found out about this album only recently ( how is this even possible...!?).
I have never paid much attention to these guys because I was only aware of their later stuff, which I find pretty dull.
But this album certainly stands out. Feels like a death doom classic right away.
How beautiful the closer draws the circle back to the opener. I am overwhelmed.
Highlights: 12 days of rain, ephemeral, and sightless
13.02.2021 - 10:41
metalriff

Why are there no lyrics available for all painted cold?
----
1001 Metal albums to hear before you die
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6531
05.12.2021 - 13:00
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
A while ago we were asked by our very good friend Alexander Backlund if we wanted to record anything in his studio. Sure we said but at that point we didn’t have any new songs finished. So we decided to make a new version of our old hit "12 days of rain". With a few extra layers of guitars and Backlund´s superb mix it turned out pretty great, like a new song. We did it because we could. A huge thanx to Dalapop and Alexander Backlund

----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.03.2022 - 16:16
nonZero

Fantastic death doom - one of my favourites from the genre, especially the first half.

9.1/10 for me - '12 Days Of Rain' is the standout song. 'Ephemeral' and 'All Painted Cold' are both also great.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
23.10.2022 - 11:24
JoHn Doe

One of the best melodic doom-death albums indeed.
Also for me it's the band's best work. While i enjoy their other albums, they don't come close to the quality of song-writing of their debut.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
25.10.2022 - 10:11
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Some great death doom here, it's brilliantly constructed with great riffs and a great sound quality, and it's incredibly melancholic, so doomy, passionate with lot's of raw emotion. This is definitely up there with Katatonia's best work, and probably one of the best albums the genre has to offer

Hits total: 16299 | This month: 41