06. Possessed
07. Hellchild
08. Moonshine
09. Wing And A Prayer
10. Suffer Not The Children
11. Voyeur
12. Mystique
13. Too Loud (For The Crowd)

Sometimes an album does not have to suck for earning a bad reputation; the unpleasant title of ''combo breaker'', terminating a sequence of successful attempts with its mediocrity, and therefore becoming a step backwards, is enough to fall into the pit of the hated. Possessed is one of those ''combo breakers'', but it did was released in a inopportune moment, when the foundations of Black Metal and Venom's style were already established; meaning that the sound produced, regardless the quality, was definitely outworn.

But despite all the reception problems with the fans (and even among the band), Possessed is not terrible musically. When technically analyzed, it presents most of the characteristics anyone would expect from a Venom album: bad sloppy production (check), raw and fast thrashy songs with unbalanced instruments (check), satanic and anti-religion thematic with good hints of humor (check), aggressive beyond most contemporary groups (check). Still, no insightful perspective is required to pinpoint the major defect of the album, which lies exactly in the first of the expected characteristics: production. This time the line was pushed too far, and they have finally managed to overcome themselves in negligence, burying the guitar riffs miles and miles beneath the drum and the bass, and draining out most of the power that could be displayed (although the bass preeminence in ''Flytrap'' worked beautifully). A less powerful, slower collection of songs was the only possible result, automatically causing the impression of musical step back.

Either way, even the pushed to the edge and messed up production could not destroy this album; songs like ''Suffer Not The Children'', ''Mystique'' and ''Possessed'' exhibit some nice atmospheric moments in its slowness, while ''Powerdrive'' and ''Moonshine'' compensate with an aggressive appeal. Other than that, no further changes in their image, except for the little effort responsible for the horrible cover art. What cannot be ignored is that Venom's trademark of insouciance with technical and production quality has cost them decades of relative anonymity, and an everlasting bad reputation accompanying the respect for their legacy; the release of Possessed was most likely the crucial moment in the band's murky fate.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 4

Written by Uirapuru | 19.08.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 63 users
20.08.2010 - 11:54
Rating: 7
vezzy
Stallmanite
Seems to me you think this is about a 7.5-ish album, but the production is apparently that atrocious... I haven't listened to this in a while, so I can't remember.

Either way, I agree with the opening and closing comments. This style had been outworn, especially the new Venom which is just...
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
17.11.2011 - 06:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
If anything I think this review glorifies the album too much. I for one care about the production, regardless of the year. It's not like thrash in the '80s was terribly produced. Master of Puppets anyone?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.11.2018 - 06:25
Rating: 7
Timelord

I am a huge Venom fan and indeed the production just decimates any power. Some good songs on this record that could be re-recorded as bonus tracks giving them the production due.

Hits total: 6036 | This month: 13