Krypteria - My Fatal Kiss review

Reviewer:

40 users:
Band: Krypteria
Album: My Fatal Kiss
Release date: August 2009

01. Ignition
02. My Fatal Kiss
03. Why (Did You Stop The World From Turning)
04. For You I'll Bring The Devil Down
05. Deny
06. The Freak In Me
07. Never Say Die
08. Dying To Love
09. Shoot Me
10. God I Need Someone
11. Now (Start Spreading The Word)
12. Headfirst Into A Sea Of Flames [limited edition bonus]
13. Too Late, Game Over & Goodbye [limited edition bonus]

These days, there seems to be an insatiable market for female-fronted bands. Presumably so, anyway, because they pop out quicker than the rate which rabbits reproduce. Krypteria is among the lot, popular enough to be under the Roadrunner roster, but never quite as popular as the mastodons of this niche like Nightwish and Epica.

So how does Krypteria differentiate themselves from the aforementioned acts? Visually at least, the woman behind the mic - Ji-In Cho - is from South Korea, a rarity in the metal scene, not to mention her rather incredible attractiveness. Though classically trained, her singing style is far from operatic, which matches the music as well because it is devoid of any significant symphonic arrangements. The sounds is more power metal-oriented with a tinge of Gothic metal thrown in.

The album would probably receive negative feedback by the majority of those who consider themselves "metal". The reasons are obvious other than it having a front woman, the music itself is definitely not the heaviest even among female-fronted bands. In fact, it's incredibly catchy, comparable to pop music standards. Spinning the record just three times in separate occasions and I can already recall the choruses of all the songs just by looking at the track list. For some, it could be a good thing, but for others, the lack of depth and long term replay value is probably the biggest pitfall of My Fatal Kiss. Right from the first track, it is apparent that the band's music is centered around Ji-In Cho as the only memorable parts are the vocal melodies and the rest of the band just exist for the sake of a complete line-up. Hence, if you are seeking killer riffs or crazy solos, look elsewhere.

Ji-In Cho is a rather good singer in her own right and given the right audience and, perhaps, mood, My Fatal Kiss is not a bad album at all. In fact, the ability to write so many catchy tunes requires a lot of composition skill. If you are reading this review in the first place, it's likely that you are into female vocalists in metal and if you don't mind the song structures being a bit predictable, maintaining a level of "catch" as your average radio pop, I would wholeheartedly recommend this album. If you are looking for something with more depth and complexity, this won't satisfy your needs.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written by Ag Fox | 21.08.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 62 users
21.08.2010 - 00:32
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Interesting, I never noticed that they are here on MS . Anyways, I really liked the review (although I don't know the album), and she is indeed really hot (as far as I remember I even suggested her in the "most attractive girl in metal" thread ^^)
21.08.2010 - 04:00
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
In fact, it's incredibly catchy, comparable to pop music standards. Spinning the record just three times in separate occasions and I can already recall the choruses of all the songs just by looking at the track list.

Sold! Already downloading
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
21.08.2010 - 10:59
annodomini

Well this one is more dynamic and complex than "BLoonangels cry". Band is starting to put progressive elements, and I believe that next album will be the best in their career. Since "In medies res" they are going heavier and heavier, and talking about catchynes, Krypteria always meant to be a catchy band I'll give this album 7,5.
----
the riddle wants to be...
21.08.2010 - 21:45
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Written by annodomini on 21.08.2010 at 10:59

Well this one is more dynamic and complex than "BLoonangels cry". Band is starting to put progressive elements, and I believe that next album will be the best in their career. Since "In medies res" they are going heavier and heavier, and talking about catchynes, Krypteria always meant to be a catchy band I'll give this album 7,5.

I agree.
22.08.2010 - 01:48
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Diabolos on 21.08.2010 at 00:32

Interesting, I never noticed that they are here on MS . Anyways, I really liked the review (although I don't know the album), and she is indeed really hot (as far as I remember I even suggested her in the "most attractive girl in metal" thread ^^)

Thanks It's my first ever review so your encouragement is greatly appreciated! I agree that she's really attractive too haha and she does deserve more attention in that sense.

Written by Uirapuru on 21.08.2010 at 04:00

Quote:
In fact, it's incredibly catchy, comparable to pop music standards. Spinning the record just three times in separate occasions and I can already recall the choruses of all the songs just by looking at the track list.

Sold! Already downloading

Cool cool. Let me know how you get along with it (=

Written by annodomini on 21.08.2010 at 10:59

well, I have not heard of their previous work. Anyway, I did not give them a bad review, and 6.8 usually equates to 7 if rounded up to the nearest integer which means good on this site. I do hope they add a bit more depth next time.
----
loves 小巫
22.08.2010 - 20:31
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
If you don't know their previous stuff you should check out "In Medias Res", I really like that one, especially the song "Victoriam Speramus" is really cool
23.08.2010 - 16:11
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I'm listening to their songs on Myspace, and while the first were pretty forgettable, I must say that I am impressed with "Why did you stop the world from turning"
----
19.09.2010 - 03:58
Lovecraft
Account deleted
This band knows how to make catchy music. I am looking forward to their next album.

Hits total: 4874 | This month: 5