08. Blood On The World's Hands
09. The Edge Of Darkness
10. 2 A.M.
11. The Unbeliever

Disc II [Japanese Release]
01. Justice Of The Peace
02. I Live My Way
03. Judgement Day

Well, this is the one. The X Factor, Iron Maiden's tenth studio album, is probably the most controversial record they have ever put to tape. Yes, this was the first album not to feature the thunderous vocals of Bruce Dickinson since Killers way back in 1981. Outrage swirled about when the announcement was made, and before long the band drafted in former Wolfsbane singer Blaze Bayley to fill Dickinson's epic shoes. Bayley sported a lower voice that resembled almost nothing to the sound Dickinson had supplied the band for seven studio releases. It is well known that this is the first of two records Iron Maiden created with Blaze Bayley singing. What a lot of people don't seem to realize, however, is that The X Factor breathed new life into a legendary band that had previously released two underwhelming subpar albums with its larger than life lead singer.

This is a truly immense, atmospheric, and haunting album. Opener "Sign of the Cross" is unquestionably one of the greatest songs Steve Harris has ever penned. Every song on this album is enjoyable. "Lord of the Flies" and "Man on the Edge" are the two somewhat standard shorter tracks, and they both get the job done and are quite pleasing to my ears. "Fortunes of War" contains a very heartfelt intro and I still get chills every time I hear it. Other songs such as "The Aftermath" and "The Unbeliever" take longer to get into, but there is an undeniable power held within if one seeks to find it. "2 A.M." is simply beautiful, and is one of the more curious songs in the group's catalogue. Blaze Bayley does a solid job throughout the record, and he does not sound out of place in the slightest. Truly, The X Factor is, to my ears, a great record from a legendary metal band.

Why is it then that so many people hate this album? I think it is because of two things. The first is the production, which I admit is not one of the best the group has received during this course of fifteen studio releases. The second, of course, is that Blaze Bayley is here and Dickinson is nowhere to be found. This is a dark album, as I have already said, and Dickinson's voice is not suited to sing on it like Bayley's is. I love Bruce with all of my heart, but this is one moment in time when he would have sounded out of place on an Iron Maiden album. The "Blaze Experiment" only worked once as I feel the next album is a huge step down in quality than this one. This is an album for open-minded people who can handle legends trying something different and can appreciate bleak music. Listen to it in the dark, perhaps with candlelight. Criminally, criminally underrated.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written by Papa_Ray | 23.08.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
Every fan of Iron Maiden knows the story about the "The X Factor" album - out with Dickinson, one of the best metal singers of all time, and in with Blaze Bayley, an unknown stranger with a voice very far from Dickinsons. And what the hell would that result in? Well, when I heard this album for the first time I had very low expectations, I had the expectation that this was Iron Maiden's worst album. But I was really surprised by the epic and experimenting opener, and the next two tracks were also really good apart from the vocals which wasn't bad but not near Dickinson. I began to believe I really liked 'The X Factor', but when the I came to the end of the last track, my mind had made an 180-degrees-turn.

Read more ››
published 29.07.2008 | Comments (29)

Comments

Comments: 42   Visited by: 216 users
23.08.2010 - 23:07
Rating: 8
Fat & Sassy!

I agree. This album is great. One of my favorite Maiden albums. The album holds such great atmosphere. It gets a lot of shit, and it kinda irritates me, but whatever. It's WAY better than Maiden's last two efforts to date; that's for sure.
23.08.2010 - 23:14
iMorphball

The vocals just don't do it for me. His voice is just too sloppy I find.

The music throughout the album is fantastic though.
23.08.2010 - 23:19
Rating: 6
vezzy
Stallmanite
*bursts into tears*

I don't really see why we should consider the lower quality albums as some sort of classics.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
23.08.2010 - 23:21
Fat & Sassy!

Written by vezzy on 23.08.2010 at 23:19

*bursts into tears*

I don't really see why we should consider the lower quality albums as some sort of classics.

You can consider whatever you want to be good or not, dude. :/
23.08.2010 - 23:26
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.08.2010 at 23:21
You can consider whatever you want to be good or not, dude. :/

Well, sure, but it simply doesn't rank up, I think this can be agreed with, though personally I detest this album.
----
23.08.2010 - 23:30
Fat & Sassy!

Written by vezzy on 23.08.2010 at 23:26

Well, sure, but it simply doesn't rank up, I think this can be agreed with, though personally I detest this album.

I think it's different, and ends the transitional movement (being No Prayer and FotD) from classic Maiden to a new sound. They've kinda kept this sound since then, and well... *I* like it. I'll always dig the classic stuff more, but I think this part of Maiden's history is worth remembering.
23.08.2010 - 23:34
Rating: 7
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
For the Record ,, i think Blaze vocals are really goood

a really good album, one of the most underrated albums
23.08.2010 - 23:41
Rating: 9
Papa_Ray

Written by vezzy on 23.08.2010 at 23:19

*bursts into tears*

I never said it was a classic album by any means. It is not. But it is extremely underrated.
23.08.2010 - 23:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Papa_Ray on 23.08.2010 at 23:41

I never said it was a classic album by any means. It is not. But it is extremely underrated.

Hm, well, 8.8 is quite a high rating by my standards.
----
23.08.2010 - 23:47
Daniell
_爱情_
One brilliant song, "Sign of the Cross". Two very good songs, "Edge of Darkness" and "Lord of the Flies". By far, not enough to call this album good. Going against the flow and trying to prove that it's good won't help it either.
I don't think that production and singing are the biggest flaws. they aren't. The biggest flaw is that most of the songs plainly fucking suck and bore the listener to death. 10 fucking million of bass guitar intros also don't help me appreciate this turd of a Maiden album.
Chill out, they recorded 2 even worse albums, "Fear of the Dark" and "Virtual XI"...
24.08.2010 - 00:51
Rating: 7
I_Die_Often

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.08.2010 at 23:07

I agree. This album is great. One of my favorite Maiden albums. The album holds such great atmosphere. It gets a lot of shit, and it kinda irritates me, but whatever. It's WAY better than Maiden's last two efforts to date; that's for sure.

I agree, I don't like Dance of Death or A Matter of Life Or Death at all!!! And the new one sounds like crap as well.
Blaze doesn't deserve the bad press, the current Maiden does!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
24.08.2010 - 00:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I always said - the only Blaze's mistake is, that he simply isn't Bruce...but the music still sounds as Iron Maiden and still is great...i dont have problems with this album
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.08.2010 - 02:07
Magatouve
Account deleted
This is one of Iron Maiden's very good albums. The atmosphere of is very dark (it was written at a time when Steve Harris had some personal prbolems; divorce, I guess) and the vocals of Blaze, being of a lower range than Bruce, suits the atmosphere. I think Bruce had with Iron Maiden at least 5 albums which are below that one (last 3, fear of the dark, and No Prayer for the Dying). This reviewer did far more justice to the album than the previous one who couldn't see the album outside Blaze-vs-Dickinson lenses. If you see it that way, you will never like it!! I think I was lucky that the first two albums I heard for Iron Maiden were those made with Blaze; so I did't have this "Blaze vocals OK but nothing near Bruce" complex. I agree that Bruce is overall much better than Blaze. But leaving that aside for a moment, this is a great album.

And "What a lot of people don't seem to realize, however, is that The X Factor breathed new life into a legendary band that had previously released two underwhelming subpar albums" very well put Mr.!
24.08.2010 - 02:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I really like this album a lot. Although Blaze really did struggle with the Bruce era material live, for this album, his voice fitted very well. A couple of boring fillers aside ("Fortunes Of War" is especially sleep inducing!), this is a very good album. xD
24.08.2010 - 02:49
Papa_Ray

Written by vezzy on 23.08.2010 at 23:45

Written by Papa_Ray on 23.08.2010 at 23:41

Hm, well, 8.8 is quite a high rating by my standards.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the person. 8.8 in my mind's a very strong, stellar album. When it gets to 9.0 things start to heat up in the legendary department.
24.08.2010 - 02:57
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
I agree. One of the best records for me. I love grave voices like Blaze Bayley or Víctor García (from Avalanch and WarCry), and Blaze in this particular album is a 10.

By the way, i recommend the last Blaze's record, "Promise And Terror", very good, wich i bought recentily (it has to come home yet =) ).
24.08.2010 - 04:44
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I love the instrumentals, but Blaze's voice kills it for me. He's good, but let's face it, doesn't suit Iron Maiden.
Maybe they should redo this and Virtual XI with Bruce's voice. That would be awesome.
24.08.2010 - 10:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Papa_Ray on 24.08.2010 at 02:49
Yeah, I guess it depends on the person. 8.8 in my mind's a very strong, stellar album. When it gets to 9.0 things start to heat up in the legendary department.

For me, Id only give albums I classed as great, a 9.0. With 10's reserved only for albums Id label as classic. Anything below 9.0 has enough flaws to stop it from be a truly great album, even though it may be still be a strong album.
24.08.2010 - 10:30
Papa_Ray

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.08.2010 at 10:24

Written by Papa_Ray on 24.08.2010 at 02:49

For me, Id only give albums I classed as great, a 9.0. With 10's reserved only for albums Id label as classic. Anything below 9.0 has enough flaws to stop it from be a truly great album, even though it may be still be a strong album.

That's pretty much how I go about my reviews. If this album had better production I would have no problem giving it a 9.0. It is a very special record.
24.08.2010 - 10:49
vezzy
Stallmanite
Okay then... it's dark. You know, you could've used more words to describe the general tone and riffing in the music, not just the atmosphere it sets.

I'd say it's underrated for a reason. It's simply boring.
----
24.08.2010 - 11:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 24.08.2010 at 10:49

Okay then... it's dark. You know, you could've used more words to describe the general tone and riffing in the music, not just the atmosphere it sets.

I'd say it's underrated for a reason. It's simply boring.

I always find it funny that people call any of Maiden's albums dark. I don't find the atmosphere to any of the Maiden albums dark at all. And if they have so-called darkness there, I would dare say that Iron Maiden and Killers are their darkest albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2010 - 12:33
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2010 at 11:18
I always find it funny that people call any of Maiden's albums dark. I don't find the atmosphere to any of the Maiden albums dark at all. And if they have so-called darkness there, I would dare say that Iron Maiden and Killers are their darkest albums.

I've always found Iron Maiden... cheery, actually.

(by the way, I didn't say I found it dark, I worded it from the perspective of the reviewer)
----
24.08.2010 - 12:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 24.08.2010 at 12:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2010 at 11:18

I've always found Iron Maiden... cheery, actually.

(by the way, I didn't say I found it dark, I worded it from the perspective of the reviewer)

I know you didn't. I was referring to the reviewer as well, and also to loads of other people.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2010 - 12:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And YES Iron Maiden are alway cheery.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2010 - 12:44
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.08.2010 at 12:37

And YES Iron Maiden are alway cheery.

The closest they've gone to "dark"... well, I haven't really listened to Maiden in some time besides The Final Frontier, but pretty sure it was "Sanctuary". And that's just an up-tempo hard rock/metal song.
----
24.08.2010 - 15:13
zagibu

Actually, I think the only problem this album has is that most songs are only partly brilliant, and when rated as a whole song, somehow don't convince. It does have some great choruses and solos, though, and even some whole tracks are decent, if a little repetitive (e.g. Sign of the Cross, Man on the Edge, 2 A.M.).
The repetition was even worse on the following album, although that, too, had its moments.
24.08.2010 - 22:50
Papa_Ray

This is a different kind of dark, especially in regards to the material. The music and lyrics to this album are more introspective, from the mind of Steve Harris and his struggles with religion to the mind of soldiers. As a matter of fact, I think "Fortunes of War" and "The Aftermath" are among the more hopeless Maiden songs. Hopelessness and the feeling of being lost really fuel this album.

As for Maiden being happy all the time, I wholeheartedly disagree. There is hardly an ounce of the happiness in this disc that crippled No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark. It seemed to me like they were going out of their way to sound happy on those two albums, not to mention Bruce purposely singing rougher, which just sounded awful to me.
24.08.2010 - 22:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Papa_Ray on 24.08.2010 at 22:50

This is a different kind of dark, especially in regards to the material. The music and lyrics to this album are more introspective, from the mind of Steve Harris and his struggles with religion to the mind of soldiers. As a matter of fact, I think "Fortunes of War" and "The Aftermath" are among the more hopeless Maiden songs. Hopelessness and the feeling of being lost really fuel this album.

That is very true. As for those two songs, I dont like "Fortunes Of War" at all, but I love "The Aftermath"! xD

Quote:
As for Maiden being happy all the time, I wholeheartedly disagree. There is hardly an ounce of the happiness in this disc that crippled No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark. It seemed to me like they were going out of their way to sound happy on those two albums, not to mention Bruce purposely singing rougher, which just sounded awful to me.

Hmm... I dont think No Prayer... is a happy album at all. Aside from "Hooks In You" and "Tailgunner". None of the other songs are happy IMO, either in their lyrical or musical content.
24.08.2010 - 23:05
vezzy
Stallmanite
I meant how it's upbeat and cheery. "Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter" for example.

There is nothing actually dark about it. Not at all. Sure, the lyrics may be (never noticed they were), but that doesn't affect the instrumental.
----
24.08.2010 - 23:51
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Angelic Storm on 24.08.2010 at 22:59

Hmm... I dont think No Prayer... is a happy album at all. Aside from "Hooks In You" and "Tailgunner". None of the other songs are happy IMO, either in their lyrical or musical content.

I think "uplifting" and "inspiring" may be better words. You know... Getting you in that rockin' mood or whatever. Maiden is known to be like this, even on quite a few tracks on No Prayer. The same thing can be found in The X Factor. Actually probably more-so on that one. :O

Hits total: 11587 | This month: 42