Metal Storm logo
Metalstorm is dead! Killed by fanboys.

Original post

Posted by Vikcen, 25.08.2010 - 12:42
Also antifanboys.

"There are no valid reasons to be discussed about music because it is all subjective. There is no point."

At certain moments sometimes some persons can not understand this.
25.08.2010 - 20:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Derwood on 25.08.2010 at 19:59

My solution to the fanboy problem is to ignore them. I state my opinions and reason for them. If someone challenges me on my reasoning, I'll respond civilly. If they just give me a "You're an idiot!" type response, I ignore it. They usually try once or twice to goad me, but once it's clear I'm not taking the bait, they ignore me as well. I'm not claiming to be completely innocent, though.

It's like the scene in Roadhouse where Dalton is instructing the bouncers at the Double Deuce:

Bouncer: "Someone calls you a cocksucker, that's not personal?"
Dalton: "No, it's two nouns combined to illicit a prescribed response."

That's the thing about trolls, if you don't feed them, they tend to go away. Masturbating isn't nearly as fun as consensual sex.

Yes it was best film ever Jeff Healey ., Patric Swazey awesome film, and good quote
When the night comes falling from the sky
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.08.2010 - 21:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Metal Storm isn't dead, Metal Storm is more alive than ever. Look at us, we're the biggest metal mag on the web, we have daily updates, a lot of features for our users to enjoy and a lot more... yes, Metal Storm definitely has its downsides and disadvantages, but we don't live in a perfect world. Yeah, I'm part of the Staff so naturally I'm positive about this website, but I really am proud of what we're doing here.

Of course, that's not exactly what you meant with 'dead'. It's true that every once in a while, a news item or review turns into a bitchfest. I guess that's just something that comes with this thing they call 'internet'. I'm not sure if this is a new phenomenon (the bitchfests I mean) or something of recent years/months/ even... as far as I can remember, we've always had that stuff here. And it's everywhere on the web, for that matter. Maybe it's increasing a bit, but I think that's an inevitable, unavoidable side-effect of growing as a website and ranking high in the results of search engines. You can expect long-time posters to hold back and behave, but newbies without any sentiments for the site... ? No.

May I give everyone around here a tip? Ditch your overrated, boring mainstream bands (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Nightwish etc.) and join me in the underground! Fuck me, we have our fair share of inane posters but they're far easier to ignore (not that many of them and not that rabid) and the music's better anyway.

There really is only one solution and that has already been mentioned: stop caring about it. Loud, offensive, dumb and narrow-minded people are everywhere and the only way to get rid of them is to mind your own business.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.08.2010 - 22:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Lucas on 25.08.2010 at 21:57

May I give everyone around here a tip? Ditch your overrated, boring mainstream bands (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Nightwish etc.) and join me in the underground! Fuck me, we have our fair share of inane posters but they're far easier to ignore (not that many of them and not that rabid) and the music's better anyway.

Hey, fuck you! I love mainstream shit...actually, to be honest I have very little concept of what's mainstream and what's not anymore...Bands I thought were underground I'm now seeing on the shelves at HMV, and bands I thought were big no one seems to know about. I guess when it comes to underground I'm just more educated in my local scene. By the time any euro underground act reaches my ears it's already getting big...being staff on here has curbed that a bit though.

But I get what you're getting at. The bigger populous of any following will result in a bigger populous of morons who all need to shout over top of one another.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.08.2010 - 22:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Lucas on 25.08.2010 at 21:57

May I give everyone around here a tip? Ditch your overrated, boring mainstream bands (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Nightwish etc.) and join me in the underground!

That's what I did after reading so many of your reviews (and a lot of Herz's) back in the day before I joined up - and I've got to say I'm much more satisfied with the music side of my life than ever before. Now I get the best of both worlds: extreme doom and a variety of lesser known black metal with unheard of brutal death metal and some extremely unpopular grindcore to go along with all of the traditional bands I grew up on (and for the most part, out of) like Metallica, Cannibal Corpse, Nightwish, Bodom, Filth, etc.

I believe a hug round on me is in order.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.08.2010 - 22:46
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I'll PM my paypal adress for all those that wish to send me money. (Slut 2.0 - that's me! )
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.08.2010 - 22:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Lucas on 25.08.2010 at 22:46

I'll PM my paypal adress for all those that wish to send me money. (Slut 2.0 - that's me! )

why not I have 1 euro left in 10X10 cents , I need get rid of those LOL
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
25.08.2010 - 23:13
Ragana
Rawrcat
It's just like with little kids - you gotta let 'em explore the world, make some trouble, piss you off, that's normal. And if they're smart enough they'll learn how to get the best outta life. As for now it's just like with endless stupidity you simply cannot stop nor make it disappear - all those who care don't get all touchy but start to ignore. You cannot change anyone's taste of music by saying his/her fav bands suck anyway. And you won't make your life easier by responding to some guy who said 'Iron Maiden sucks'. So does he for not knowing how to set up a proper argumentation... but he may not realize that. Well, whatever the thing is, just mind your own business.
25.08.2010 - 23:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I'll agree in that it's not dead, but surely there has been a rise in moronic drive-bys from people who create accounts just to spam their opinions and shout down anyone who has a differing one.

it's one thing for a poster with a couple thousand posts and a couple years here at MS to get all soapboxy, another for some guy who just stumbles on the the site to start acting like an asshat seconds after creating an account and frothing at the keyboard to all who don't think their favorite band's new release is a 9.84.

over the last couple months, the mighty banhammer, which used to be flexed sparingly, has seen more action than the whack-a-mole game at a Chuck-E-Cheese during a kid's b-day party.

granted, the majority of those whose accounts were reduced to sub-atomic particles were likely just multiple accounts of the same colostomy bag randoms trolling the Dim/IM/whatever reviews.

just do yer best to retort in a constructive manner and hit the REPORT button as warranted.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.08.2010 - 07:09
Archetype
I agree with Lucas. Especially since I've been a part of other metal and general music communities where the membership base mainly consists of elitist teenagers who believe that their opinions are superior. I usually stop posting when things start going downhill (as was the case with a certain guitar-oriented community that I won't name ) but as for MS, I think that the community here is great.
28.08.2010 - 19:12
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Archetype on 28.08.2010 at 07:09

I agree with Lucas. Especially since I've been a part of other metal and general music communities where the membership base mainly consists of elitist teenagers who believe that their opinions are superior. I usually stop posting when things start going downhill (as was the case with a certain guitar-oriented community that I won't name ) but as for MS, I think that the community here is great.

was it Ultimate-Guitar ? those guys are cocky as hell !!
once when i first got my guitar .. i was still a noob in effects and pedals .. i asked about a good distortion pedal, and everyone just kept taking turns in 'e-raping' me !!!
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
29.08.2010 - 03:35
Archetype
Written by Zombie on 28.08.2010 at 19:12

was it Ultimate-Guitar ? those guys are cocky as hell !!
once when i first got my guitar .. i was still a noob in effects and pedals .. i asked about a good distortion pedal, and everyone just kept taking turns in 'e-raping' me !!!

Yes it certainly was! They've just become too big (with nearly 1.5 million members) but it just goes to show that it's all about quality and not the quantity. It's as if some people sign up just to troll and nothing more.
31.08.2010 - 08:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Usually i don't give a shit about raving fanboys only if they cause a nuisance when trying to genuinely have a discussion, best example being obviously the comments section of "The Final Frontier".

what does make me sick though is the Opeth fanboyism on this website. everywhere i see, people are raving about everything Opeth and Akerfeldt-related like there's no tomorrow. the good thing is though that i'm not the first who picked up on this, there's actually a joke review for Blackwater Park here which is pretty funny.

but still, every time i see something funny Opeth-related and see the comments i can't help but thinking that most of the people who posted stuff like "LOL" or something just try to in some way validate themselves as not being blind fanbots and trying to not take their band so seriously, something which may well be impossible apparently as Opeth are the best band in the world, ever, period.
01.09.2010 - 18:43
-Soulreaper-
Written by Valentin B on 31.08.2010 at 08:53

Usually i don't give a shit about raving fanboys only if they cause a nuisance when trying to genuinely have a discussion, best example being obviously the comments section of "The Final Frontier".

what does make me sick though is the Opeth fanboyism on this website. everywhere i see, people are raving about everything Opeth and Akerfeldt-related like there's no tomorrow. the good thing is though that i'm not the first who picked up on this, there's actually a joke review for Blackwater Park here which is pretty funny.

but still, every time i see something funny Opeth-related and see the comments i can't help but thinking that most of the people who posted stuff like "LOL" or something just try to in some way validate themselves as not being blind fanbots and trying to not take their band so seriously, something which may well be impossible apparently as Opeth are the best band in the world, ever, period.

I think your post is something like what the OP was describing. Just straight up bashing. Not only of the band, but of the fans as well. What's wrong with being obsessed with a band that so many people like?
01.09.2010 - 18:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by -Soulreaper- on 01.09.2010 at 18:43

Written by Valentin B on 31.08.2010 at 08:53

I think your post is something like what the OP was describing. Just straight up bashing. Not only of the band, but of the fans as well. What's wrong with being obsessed with a band that so many people like?

hah, i guess my post did come across more seriously than i actually intended it to be. usually i don't give a fuck about them, but i still stand by my point regarding the Blackwater Park review, what is ludicrous is that some people actually agree with that review which is (i hope) a joke.
01.09.2010 - 20:51
vezzy
Stallmanite
It is no joke, when it comes to big bands people immortalize and idolize them to ridiculous degrees.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.09.2010 - 23:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Big bands? Remember Diminished? They idolized themselves to ridiculous degrees!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.09.2010 - 12:39
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Written by vezzy on 01.09.2010 at 20:51

It is no joke, when it comes to big bands people immortalize and idolize them to ridiculous degrees.

Says the guy who named himself after a big band's mascot.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.09.2010 - 12:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Thryce on 13.09.2010 at 12:39

It's actually an alias I've used before and I've decided to stick with it.

(also lol Voorhees hockey mask)
----
17.09.2010 - 03:03
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Thryce on 13.09.2010 at 12:39

Written by vezzy on 01.09.2010 at 20:51

+1

Written by vezzy on 13.09.2010 at 12:41

... lol Voorhees hockey mask

what's wrong with voorhees hockey mask? it least its more "metal" than a lame pentagram.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
17.09.2010 - 06:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
Is this supposed to be a "who's more metal than who" competition or something?

It was like a response to my name. I chose to name myself after a big band's mascot, he chose to use an avatar associated with the character of one of the most milked horror franchises.
----
18.09.2010 - 08:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Or he's a fan of 70's NHL hockey... (not to mention an image is a temp thing... thryce long held another avatar, while his handle is beholden to none... )

the "more metal" card gets played a lot 'round these parts by lots of people who think their tastes are somehow better than others because they scour the internet harder.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.09.2010 - 02:35
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Metalstorm might have its share of youtubeish comments, but they are taken care of pretty fast...it never gets completely out of control...there is a reputation to uphold...those users are usually ignored or their acounts are deleted...many MSers get tired of what happens and they just leave...a lot of people make stupid immature and unfounded posts just to look cool in front of MSers that have been on here longer...it also makes it kinda hard when people don't know the English language as well as others and are chasticed because they write little but mean a lot in the post...I think that a lot of people on here are insensitive...I've been over the years and for that I greatly appologize...there is a lot of insensitivity and sensitivity on here...MSers should just be allowed to say whatever they want to a degree...if it doesn't attack you personally, then leave it alone...if the comment IS attacking you personally, then be the better man and use some descretion...those raving fans boys are taken care of though and weeded out...those who run this place never let them get away with it for that long...
19.09.2010 - 21:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I believe Thryce is a secret fan of Quiet Riot and therefore he chose hockey mask as his avatar
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.10.2010 - 19:00
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Ellrohir on 19.09.2010 at 21:49

I believe Thryce is a secret fan of Quiet Riot and therefore he chose hockey mask as his avatar

Lol, and hey there is noting wrong with QR.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
21.10.2010 - 13:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Did i say there is?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.11.2010 - 21:47
Himann
Orm KrigGud
MS? Dead? Because of fanboys? Never!!!

No such thing as fanboys. Everyone has their own tastes, its what metal has been about all these years. Fuck you all and be yourselves.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
22.12.2010 - 06:57
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Himann on 13.11.2010 at 21:47

MS? Dead? Because of fanboys? Never!!!

No such thing as fanboys. Everyone has their own tastes, its what metal has been about all these years. Fuck you all and be yourselves.

I believe he meant... MS might become a circuss filled with people with quick replies, bad manners and no opinions to share but I found your response refreshing lol. And Btw fuck you too buddy... I'll drink to that !
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
15.02.2011 - 03:28
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
MS IS SHIT AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWSE IS A FUCKING ASSHOLE!!!

Seriously fanboys suck, but I've been called a fanboy because I don't like Annette Olzon's voice and stated it, for instance. That doesn't mean I necessarily hate everything post-Tarja and that I'm a close-minded bitch, I just don't like Annette's voice... Some MStormers tend to see fanboys everywhere, I think, which is normal since there actually are loads of jerks on the Web.

MS is much more controlled than shit like last.fm, where 99% of the comments on CoF's page for example is comprised of "posers!" and "gay!".
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
15.02.2011 - 16:25
JD
Account deleted
Metalstorm is dead!
Seriously what a topic, aha now i see topics like this makes metalstorm dead, if you ask me.