05. Stand, Fight And Die
06. The Despoiler Of Human Life
07. Crushed Beyond Dust
08. Blinding Black Rage
09. Gorge Upon My Soul
10. Repulsive Salvation
11. Strangled By Unseen Hands
12. And Into The Flame

Skeletonwitch is at it again, defying the typecast by creating an album with so many influences it seems nearly impossible. Breathing The Fire is an excellent album, and here's why:

The band takes Nordic, Black and Thrash influences and fuses them all together seamlessly, showcasing their ability with short yet powerful tracks that leave you wanting more. Although they have been labelled as part of the "thrash revival," their style is extremely opposite from other bands in this vein (see Bonded By Blood, Warbringer and Gama Bomb). With those bands, it's more of an exact throwback to tracks from the 80's, where as Skeletonwitch actually goes out of their way to make something new for this generation. Not to say that new thrash is bad, as I enjoy it myself, just that there are only so many songs to re-hash before you run out of material.

My favourite tracks are 'Released from the Catacombs,' 'Crushed Beyond Dust,' and 'Repulsion Salvation', but let me tell you, it was hard to pick a few. I feel these are the best demonstrations of their musical ability and combination of the different styles. Not to mention the riffs are just delicious. The only problem you will have is picking a favourite for yourself. The talented vocal work from Chance Garnet is probably my favourite part of the album, he really nails the black metal aspect, and it holds the songs together. The band is starting to get things together and define their sound - it's obvious a lot of work went into this one, and hopefully they will get the attention they deserve.

If you are a fan of Thrash or Black, I highly suggest listen to this album. I will even go as far to say that you would be crazy not to try it, even if you don't enjoy it (which would surprise me). This is a good place to start if you are wondering about where this music is headed because Skeletonwitch is bound to be a major player in influencing the next wave of this style. [i]Breathing The Fire[i/] is climbing my list of favourites and it's just something no one should miss out on. If you have a chance to see this album live, then do it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by | 27.08.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 129 users
27.08.2010 - 23:38
Rating: 9
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Indeed, very good album. Wish I would have got this in 2009 and slapped it onto one of my "best of" lists. Climbing as a personal favourite of mine as well.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.08.2010 - 00:03
Heissayen

The first time I listened to this album, I felt in love with them. It doesn't happen me often, but the mix of black and thrash they make, it's simply brutal.
28.08.2010 - 09:12
Edmund Fogg

Really great band.I first heard about them (and saw them) at the Heavy MTL Day 1 and I was blown away.This review makes me remember I gotta get that album
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
28.08.2010 - 10:30
Rating: 10
Aetherius

Just bought the MP3 album download off CDnow(Amazon.com) and am very happy. This album is really amazing. I like all their materal and this is an awesome addition to their discography thus far. Like the review says, if you're a fan of black or thrash metal, or both(like me) Get this!
28.08.2010 - 13:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I have a compulsion to hear this. After all, I'd be crazy not to right?
30.08.2010 - 08:01
felinenine
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.08.2010 at 13:21

I have a compulsion to hear this. After all, I'd be crazy not to right?

Probably!
30.08.2010 - 12:20
Aetherius

!J.O.O.E.! Def at least give it a try! Check out some of the music vids they got posted up for a good sample ^^
30.08.2010 - 12:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Aetherius on 30.08.2010 at 12:20

!J.O.O.E.! Def at least give it a try! Check out some of the music vids they got posted up for a good sample ^^

I did check it out and I liked it actually, I was expecting an onslaught of thrash but it was quite dynamic and varied. Good stuff indeed!
08.09.2010 - 18:11
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Pretty solid album. among my favourite thrash releases from last year (=
----
loves 小巫
20.09.2010 - 01:38
Rating: 8
Mad Mike

I discovered this band earlier this year when they opened up for Cannibal Corpse. When SW's set was done, they had officially won me as a fan... I was blown away by their show and I bought this CD at the merch booth by the time the night was over, I managed to grab a copy of BTP last month and could safely say that Skeletonwitch are the most original sounding band in quite some time... a perfect hybrid of the 3 styles (Black, Thrash, and Death).
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
20.01.2011 - 10:43
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Yeah a solid album indeed.
23.06.2011 - 07:13
Guib
Thrash Talker
Great band, Great album.. Skeletonwitch is a great Thrash Band !
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.07.2011 - 17:35
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Great review man. And I love Skeletonwitch for exactly the reason you said, their blend of so many influences... particularly black and thrash metal. They remind me somewhat of first-wave BM mands (basically thrash with the shrieked vocals), only with a bit of a modern twist.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.11.2011 - 10:34
Murder

Written by Guib on 23.06.2011 at 07:13

Great band, Great album.. Skeletonwitch is a great Thrash Band !

+1 and the blackened elements are so fucking good too!!!

Hits total: 4262 | This month: 3