‹‹ Back to the Serious discussions Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]
Users visited: 407  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by Sunioj on 24.08.2006 at 16:14
Satanism, from contemporary individualism to the sub categories of MLO and left hand path...
Plain and simple, what do you all think about it?

Im curious to hear people share thoughts and ideas of this philosophy and let me start by saying that contemporary Satanism is very interesting since it focuses on building oneself spiritually.

Lets take an example like Jon Nodveidt's recent decision to end his life....
He killed himself and his band claims it was a ritual suicide, does this make his form of Satanism a religion because it has rituals or is MLO another form of interpreting Satanism?

Page 19 of 19

Slayer666

28.02.2012 at 21:08
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.02.2012 at 02:06

you are kiddiong I hope.

In fact it is just as childish (and dare even say so: more childish than) as all major religions.
Satanism and all religions are on the same totally pathetic level. It is for people who can't make up theior minds for themselves.

No, I'm not. (the response you're about to read assumes we're talking about LaVeyan Satanism)

It's pretty safe to say a religion A (namely Satanism) makes more sense than a religion B (major religions) if religion A isn't as chuck full of self-contradictions as religion B.

LaVeyan Satanism is stupid, I agree. But is it any more stupid than claiming you'll be sent to a place of eternal torment by someone who loves you unconditionally if you don't accept his son as your savior, just because some skank ate some fruit from some tree fuck-knows how many years ago? No it isn't. Is striving to perfect oneself more stupid than willingly equating yourself to a sheep? Not really.

Again, I don't give a shit about any religion, and that includes Satanism, but claiming that what LeVey preached is any more childish, stupid and whatnot than what other religions preach is pretty stupid in itself.
Ernis
狼獾

28.02.2012 at 21:43
Written by Slayer666 on 28.02.2012 at 21:08

you'll be sent to a place of eternal torment by someone who loves you unconditionally if you don't accept his son as your savior, just because some skank ate some fruit from some tree fuck-knows how many years ago

So this is your conception of Christian faith? It's like saying "Metal: Blokes with long hair and black leather outfits making pointless noise just because they think it makes them awesome." or "Opera: Fat lady in a fancy dress standing on a stage and making weird and stupid sounds so that silly people can listen to it and think it's culture or some similar bullshit."
Actually God doesn't want anyone to go to hell. If you're a father, sure you tell your son not to become a junkie, so to speak, right? If he still becomes a junkie after all and ends up in jail, impaired or dead, is it because you punished him? No, he created his own hell, so to speak.

striving to perfect oneself

A very good characteristic of Christian ideals, thanks for mentioning it...

willingly equating yourself to a sheep

In what sense? You probably refer to the allegory of Christ being the kind shepherd who loves every single little sheep of his herd and helps even the ones who wander far away from him, get lost and end up almost eaten by big bad wolves? Yeah. Mayb my example is better. If your son is a stupid ass who ruins his own life, will you stop loving him because of that? Will you just forget him? Unconditional love, that's what they say...

Equating yourself to an animal (not particularly a sheep) is another thing, however. It's always easier to be an ass. It's always easier to do things that are not just (want-take-have) without thinking about the possible consequences. It's always easier to give in to your desire to feel superior to others, to do something good for yourself (or at least what seems good at a given moment) and cause sadness or pain to others (whether they deserve it or not.) However, when people don't think of all these things, when they think that they're free to do whatever they will (yep, we are free indeed) without thinking about the aftermath, then one might end up drifting farther and farther away from perfection. If you want perfection, you need to work on it. You're not perfect, neither am I. I doubt there's any perfect people here. It's a lifelong progress of learning. Learning from your mistakes, also from the good things you do, from the good things that are done to you, from the nasty things that others might make you go through, from what life brings you, learning how to respect and love others. And knowing that you'll still never be perfect. Perfection is something you'll never reach. None of us.

If someone says that "Ah, we're by no means perfect so why even try? Let's just stop pretending." then you'd call it "giving up" wouldn't you?
And also the thing some say "I make my own destiny." Yes and no. Things you do, do have consequences. But not everything on this earth depends on you. You can't arrange everything for yourself alone. You will still depend on what other people do, what happens around you in the nature, on this planet etc. Thinking about all of that, you can't actually even plan what happens to you tomorrow. What you can do, is learning how to become a better person. See above.
----
Go ahead, make my day...
StephenTheBoss

01.09.2012 at 13:11
Thelema 4ever.
SkepticalSteve

15.10.2012 at 23:16
Quote:
So this is your conception of Christian faith? It's like saying "Metal: Blokes with long hair and black leather outfits making pointless noise just because they think it makes them awesome." or "Opera: Fat lady in a fancy dress standing on a stage and making weird and stupid sounds so that silly people can listen to it and think it's culture or some similar bullshit."
Actually God doesn't want anyone to go to hell. If you're a father, sure you tell your son not to become a junkie, so to speak, right? If he still becomes a junkie after all and ends up in jail, impaired or dead, is it because you punished him? No, he created his own hell, so to speak.

I don't like the father telling his son not to become a junkie analogy to Christianity at all. First off, let's assume we're talking about Protestant Christianity. There is a significant difference between a father telling his son to avoid opiates or not eating cat food and an invisible deity telling it's followers to abstain from sexual intercourse before something as arbitrary (in the 21st century) as marriage; and sexual self-repression is but a fraction of the psychological denialism of basic human needs that Christianity as understood by a sola scriptora reading of the Bible yields... Sociological evolution drives ethical shifts as a whole, not a view of objective morality, therefore, we cannot in any way compare not accepting the holy spirit of the risen Christ, Jesus as a means of "self destruction" in the same manner of acute health and safety hazards of worldly problems, such as dependence on narcotics...
Jimbul2
Account deleted
  08.01.2013 at 15:46
LaVey satanism has got a lot of wonderful aspects to them, like sexual freedom and that people should strive towards things such as science and skepticism. Besides, most satanist do not even believe in Satan or God (any deity), but use Lucifer as a symbol for subjective morality and physical/mental improvement. How far as the "magic" goes, LaVey was either a satirist or a lunatic.
Seita
Account deleted
  03.02.2013 at 16:37
Satanism can basically be broken down into two schools, atheistic Satanism and theistic Satanism. Atheistic Satanists do not recognize the existence of Satan as a literal being but as a figurative, aesthetic idea that serves as a metaphor for the Satanic philosophy. Theistic Satanists, on the other hand, regard Satan as a literal, existing being. LaVey's school of Satanic thought is definitely in the atheistic realm as he, amongst others, believe that all of the imagery is meant to create a certain aesthetic which thus elicits an emotional response from the practitioner, nothing more and nothing less. I have not read the work of any theistic Satanists so I am not quite sure how they view that but I would be interested to learn. I am not a Satanist myself but I think it is a valuable school of thought and deserves more proper study as many people are very ignorant to what it is actually about.
Jaeryd17‍
Desert Mouse

18.02.2013 at 21:54
Written by Guest on 03.02.2013 at 16:37

Satanism can basically be broken down into two schools, atheistic Satanism and theistic Satanism. Atheistic Satanists do not recognize the existence of Satan as a literal being but as a figurative, aesthetic idea that serves as a metaphor for the Satanic philosophy. Theistic Satanists, on the other hand, regard Satan as a literal, existing being. LaVey's school of Satanic thought is definitely in the atheistic realm as he, amongst others, believe that all of the imagery is meant to create a certain aesthetic which thus elicits an emotional response from the practitioner, nothing more and nothing less. I have not read the work of any theistic Satanists so I am not quite sure how they view that but I would be interested to learn. I am not a Satanist myself but I think it is a valuable school of thought and deserves more proper study as many people are very ignorant to what it is actually about.

I was going to make a comment, but then I saw that you said pretty much everything I wanted to say, so I guess I don't have to now. Thank you.
----
"It is not your sin—it is your self-satisfaction that crieth unto heaven; your very sparingness in sin crieth unto heaven!

Where is the lightning to lick you with its tongue? Where is the frenzy with which ye should be inoculated?"

Rasputin

14.04.2013 at 02:32
Satanism is just another -ism. I was immersed in it for a little bit in my youth, now I find it as stupid as any other religion. LaVey did not create anything new, he just made a soup of the things he liked, to satisfy his deprived mind. Satanism has nothing to offer but lowering yourself to the level of an animal, and that is not hard at all.
Men are not Gods, we are finite beings, and anyone stating "I am my God" is well...obtuse. We are easily destroyed, our views change, we change, and to be a God, you have to immutable.

You will not find freedom in any group, cult, sect or a religion. And that is a fact.
Ganondox

25.06.2014 at 18:51
Quote:
Satanism is just plain stupid, the atheist branches are a bunch of assholes and the theist branches are flat out insane. Luciferianism, on the other hand, is respectable.

Written by SkepticalSteve on 15.10.2012 at 23:16

I don't like the father telling his son not to become a junkie analogy to Christianity at all. First off, let's assume we're talking about Protestant Christianity. There is a significant difference between a father telling his son to avoid opiates or not eating cat food and an invisible deity telling it's followers to abstain from sexual intercourse before something as arbitrary (in the 21st century) as marriage; and sexual self-repression is but a fraction of the psychological denialism of basic human needs that Christianity as understood by a sola scriptora reading of the Bible yields... Sociological evolution drives ethical shifts as a whole, not a view of objective morality, therefore, we cannot in any way compare not accepting the holy spirit of the risen Christ, Jesus as a means of "self destruction" in the same manner of acute health and safety hazards of worldly problems, such as dependence on narcotics...
What's so outrageous about celibacy before marriage? There are many practical reasons for monogamy, and in the historical context ethical ones as well relating to how society functioned then.
Rasputin

28.09.2014 at 05:19
Satanism is so passe, a thing of the eighties and nineties, and it was a joke then, and it is a joke now. I mean, let's face it, you hate or disprove Xtianity, yet you follow a "fallen angel." At the end of the day both the Christian, Muslim or a Satanist are delusional in believing that they each are free, have power and are somehow better than the other.
ThunderAxe1989
Irreligious

05.10.2014 at 01:10
What would be the purpose of Theistic Satanism? I don't understand....
Rasputin

06.10.2014 at 19:20
Written by ThunderAxe1989 on 05.10.2014 at 01:10

What is the purpose with Satanism in general? I don't get it. You replace one religion with another, because this other one gives you "more freedom."
ThunderAxe1989
Irreligious

12.10.2014 at 20:01
Written by Rasputin on 06.10.2014 at 19:20

What is the purpose with Satanism in general? I don't get it. You replace one religion with another, because this other one gives you "more freedom."

Well, I would think with LaVeyan Satanism (Atheistic Satanism), it's like being Atheist but with ritualism. Peter H. Gilmore even admitted that it's a show, he said all religion is a show but Satanists are the only ones who admit it. He also admitted that Satanists are extremely selfish people. LaVeyan Satanists see themselves as the center of the universe. So it's a more self-centered, theatrical, hedonism oriented version of Atheism.

But to me, if you're into Theistic Satanism, then wouldn't that mean that you literally worship Satan and therefore don't see yourself as the center of the universe? Wouldn't that mean that you accept the bible as literal truth just like Christians, although you oppose it? Wouldn't that mean that those so called 'prophecies' in the book of Revelation, such as the devil being thrown into a lake of fire, are going to come true? If that's going to come true, then what's the point if you know that one day you and Satan will lose? I'm only trying to rationalize and understand it, so far it seems like nonsense
Rasputin

14.10.2014 at 21:11
Written by ThunderAxe1989 on 12.10.2014 at 20:01

Written by Rasputin on 06.10.2014 at 19:20

Well, I would think with LaVeyan Satanism (Atheistic Satanism), it's like being Atheist but with ritualism. Peter H. Gilmore even admitted that it's a show, he said all religion is a show but Satanists are the only ones who admit it. He also admitted that Satanists are extremely selfish people. LaVeyan Satanists see themselves as the center of the universe. So it's a more self-centered, theatrical, hedonism oriented version of Atheism.

But to me, if you're into Theistic Satanism, then wouldn't that mean that you literally worship Satan and therefore don't see yourself as the center of the universe? Wouldn't that mean that you accept the bible as literal truth just like Christians, although you oppose it? Wouldn't that mean that those so called 'prophecies' in the book of Revelation, such as the devil being thrown into a lake of fire, are going to come true? If that's going to come true, then what's the point if you know that one day you and Satan will lose? I'm only trying to rationalize and understand it, so far it seems like nonsense

It is nonsense, I would say an even greater nonsense than Christianity. LaVeyan Satanists are under the impression that they are gods, and all that bullshit. I find it funny that a god can die from a bullet, or a simple thing as a virus.

Your logical process is very good, I often posed that question myself. If you accept Satan as your true master and god, then by default you accept Judeo-Christian faith/religion as your own, because there is no Satan outside of the same religious root, but especially in the Bible. And yes, why indeed would you worship an inferior being that you know will get his ass kicked again. I think they should have just called themselves humanists without the ritualism and be done with it, because this now looks very, very stupid.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19]

Login or register to post here.