Metal Storm logo
Satanism

Original post

Posted by Sunioj, 24.08.2006 - 16:14
Satanism, from contemporary individualism to the sub categories of MLO and left hand path...
Plain and simple, what do you all think about it?

Im curious to hear people share thoughts and ideas of this philosophy and let me start by saying that contemporary Satanism is very interesting since it focuses on building oneself spiritually.

Lets take an example like Jon Nodveidt's recent decision to end his life....
He killed himself and his band claims it was a ritual suicide, does this make his form of Satanism a religion because it has rituals or is MLO another form of interpreting Satanism?
27.11.2009 - 01:22
Immortal

Written by Ginnung on 27.11.2009 at 00:23

- "It's like saying, I'm an Atheistic Deist for fucksakes! What's the point of being a LaVeyan Satanist if you don't really believe in deities anyways? I mean, Satanists who believe in God and the Devil, kudos to those guys! At least they believe in something, but taking the name ''Satan'' and just applying it to a philosophy is downright ridiculous."

In LaVeyan Satanism there is no belief in God or the Devil, the term "Satan" actually refers to mankind's inherant nature. It's also used somewhat metaphorically as the opposition to (or opposite of, however you look at it) Christianty. Rudimentarily, LaVeyan Satanism is the philosophy of individualism and self-indulgance, but I'm probably just reiterating what has been stated in this thread countless times.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
27.11.2009 - 13:04
TheBigRossowski

Written by TheBigRossowski on 25.11.2009 at 13:32

Written by Ginnung on 24.11.2009 at 17:21

Written by TheBigRossowski on 18.11.2009 at 13:55

Written by Ginnung on 17.11.2009 at 10:48

Written by TheBigRossowski on 14.11.2009 at 21:37

Written by Ginnung on 12.11.2009 at 15:09

I would say that TOTBL (MLO) is based upon esoterism, not traditional religiousity.

You write pretty good for a 0 year old

I think one of the things that turns me off black metal is this ''we hate everything, we love the people close to us, kill god, Satan is god'' bullshit. For example, an interview with Erick from Watain... he just danced around the word ''god'' and tried not to say what if he really believes in Lucifer in that sense or not. It's all ridiculous and I swear... the term ''satanism'' makes me want to slap someone.

It's better if I just never read through this thread again.

Unfortunately your input lack substance. Why on earth do you get so indignant by other people's personal matter, in this case Satanistic philosophy?

It's like saying, I'm an Atheistic Deist for fucksakes! What's the point of being a LaVeyan Satanist if you don't really believe in deities anyways? I mean, Satanists who believe in God and the Devil, kudos to those guys! At least they believe in something, but taking the name ''Satan'' and just applying it to a philosophy is downright ridiculous.

Hehe, what? I've never wrote anything about Laveyism and I would never speak about it related to esoteric traditions. I talked about a theistic Satanistic order, namely TOTBL, and I don't understand why you put the business man Lavey into the picture...

What the fuck are you talking about? I only quoted you because your age is set to zero.

Well mister, this is "what the fuck" I am talking about:

- "Unfortunately your input lack substance. Why on earth do you get so indignant by other people's personal matter, in this case Satanistic philosophy?"

- "It's like saying, I'm an Atheistic Deist for fucksakes! What's the point of being a LaVeyan Satanist if you don't really believe in deities anyways? I mean, Satanists who believe in God and the Devil, kudos to those guys! At least they believe in something, but taking the name ''Satan'' and just applying it to a philosophy is downright ridiculous."

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "mister". You're a mister... I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

There is no (logical) reason that anyone can convince me that they're a non-theistic Satanic ''philosophist''. I understand that one can have an admiration for such philosophies, but not a title to themselves. I'm very interested in Thelemic mysticism, but I don't run around calling myself a Thelemite.

*dons sunglasses* ah, fuck it....
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
02.12.2009 - 15:44
Ginnung

Written by TheBigRossowski on 27.11.2009 at 13:04

Written by TheBigRossowski on 25.11.2009 at 13:32

Written by Ginnung on 24.11.2009 at 17:21

Written by TheBigRossowski on 18.11.2009 at 13:55

Written by Ginnung on 17.11.2009 at 10:48

Written by TheBigRossowski on 14.11.2009 at 21:37

Written by Ginnung on 12.11.2009 at 15:09

I would say that TOTBL (MLO) is based upon esoterism, not traditional religiousity.

You write pretty good for a 0 year old

I think one of the things that turns me off black metal is this ''we hate everything, we love the people close to us, kill god, Satan is god'' bullshit. For example, an interview with Erick from Watain... he just danced around the word ''god'' and tried not to say what if he really believes in Lucifer in that sense or not. It's all ridiculous and I swear... the term ''satanism'' makes me want to slap someone.

It's better if I just never read through this thread again.

Unfortunately your input lack substance. Why on earth do you get so indignant by other people's personal matter, in this case Satanistic philosophy?

It's like saying, I'm an Atheistic Deist for fucksakes! What's the point of being a LaVeyan Satanist if you don't really believe in deities anyways? I mean, Satanists who believe in God and the Devil, kudos to those guys! At least they believe in something, but taking the name ''Satan'' and just applying it to a philosophy is downright ridiculous.

Hehe, what? I've never wrote anything about Laveyism and I would never speak about it related to esoteric traditions. I talked about a theistic Satanistic order, namely TOTBL, and I don't understand why you put the business man Lavey into the picture...

What the fuck are you talking about? I only quoted you because your age is set to zero.

Well mister, this is "what the fuck" I am talking about:

- "Unfortunately your input lack substance. Why on earth do you get so indignant by other people's personal matter, in this case Satanistic philosophy?"

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "mister". You're a mister... I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

There is no (logical) reason that anyone can convince me that they're a non-theistic Satanic ''philosophist''. I understand that one can have an admiration for such philosophies, but not a title to themselves. I'm very interested in Thelemic mysticism, but I don't run around calling myself a Thelemite.

*dons sunglasses* ah, fuck it....

Hehe, whatever floats your boat, Duderino. I do agree with that, titles are of course only titles and even if they can reflect a view they aren't important. The practice is the substance. Finito.
02.12.2009 - 15:48
Ginnung

Written by Immortal on 27.11.2009 at 01:22

In LaVeyan Satanism there is no belief in God or the Devil, the term "Satan" actually refers to mankind's inherant nature. It's also used somewhat metaphorically as the opposition to (or opposite of, however you look at it) Christianty. Rudimentarily, LaVeyan Satanism is the philosophy of individualism and self-indulgance, but I'm probably just reiterating what has been stated in this thread countless times.

"Immortal", I don't know if your post was intended for me, since you quoted my name but quoted another person's words. Regardless, I'm familiar with Lavey's philosophy but it don't appeal to me. Finito.
15.06.2010 - 01:26
Matis

May God's love be with you.
----
" Je me crois en enfer, donc j'y suis. " [Arthur Rimbaud]
(I believe I am in Hell, therefore I am.)
15.06.2010 - 02:03
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Satanism is just ridiculously hilarious, i mean... if you believe in "satan" than you believe in a core christian concept (or any religion that believes in satan) so you're basically a "pissed-off" christian.. a christian who chose to worship satan just to piss off "god" but he still acknowledge the existence of god, satan, heaven, hell, and all those christian concepts...

and.. if you mean LaVeyan satanism, well that's just plain retarded ! LOL
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
15.06.2010 - 15:35
Slayer666

Written by Zombie on 15.06.2010 at 02:03

O___O
Care to explain why do you think so? I'm not a LaVeyan bitching about what you said, or anything, I just want to know why do you hold such an opinion. IMO, LaVeyan Satanism is one of the more logical beliefs/religions, despite some of its flaws.
29.06.2010 - 03:22
ThisIsNotHere

LaVeyan Satanism always struck me as a safe form of rebellion marketed as a religion for a bunch of kids looking to piss off mommy and daddy. Basically, Hot Topic Dianetics. Add in the many followers that quote LaVey/adorn their myspaces with images/glitter graphics as if he were some sort of prophet (substitute one idol for another...) and seem to think he presented something "new" and "revolutionary" when to me, it seems like everything he's said was said already, and was said better.

I can see how LaVey's philosophy could be a useful catalyst for beginning the demolition of internal barriers (under certain cultural constructs and provided that the Satanic Bible is the beginning of the journey, not the end. Basically ideological training wheels), but the whole "Satanism" label seems to be unnecessary beyond primitive attention getting, maybe explaining the "omgz Imma Satanist lulz!" phenomenon. Plus, a lot of self-proclaimed Satanists seem to be all talk (which I feel is reflective of LaVey's organization. I don't see how carrying out moral transgressions on a mental level is of much value beyond satisfying the initial primitive rebellion drive. Words are one thing, actions are another. But different stroke for different folks... by the end of the day, I don't really care what others think/do as long as it doesn't threaten to interfere with my life).

Also, it baffles me as to why such an "elitist" organization is so relaxed about membership requirements. Seems like the only requirements are "agree with our shit, give us your money, and don't do anything to tarnish our reputation". Is it just me, or does that sound like a basic requirement for nearly EVERY group? Kinda contradicts the whole elitism vibe... Oh well.

Just some observations I've made over the years.
----
I almost cried because I acted so insensitive
29.06.2010 - 03:57
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Slayer666 on 15.06.2010 at 15:35

O___O
Care to explain why do you think so? I'm not a LaVeyan bitching about what you said, or anything, I just want to know why do you hold such an opinion. IMO, LaVeyan Satanism is one of the more logical beliefs/religions, despite some of its flaws.

Well, other than the fct that the guy created the religion to be able to fuck 'ritually' all he wants (Probably couldnt get laid b4 that) but bashing a religion's 'prophet' is no proper way to judge the religion so, we'll skip the "Anthony lavey" part and talk about the "satanism" part ...

1) if you used to be christian (or jewish) then chances are, you read the old testment.. so i'm just gonna ask you to try and remember some of it.. done ? ... cant you tell the resemblance?

2) the "mind your own buissness but if anyone pisses you off then "DESTROY" him" kinda mentality is for children.. i mean, come on man .. if someone doesnt agree with you then he/she deserves to be removed from the face of the earth? .. i dunno.. sorry its a bit childish and uncivilized ... however, again... sounds a bit jewish (hey, i'm just saying:D )

3) most religions wouldn't attack other religons in that rude manner or in that direct way... in the new testament there's a great deal of respect to the old testament.. and in islam there's acknowledgment of both christian and jewish religions are "true faiths" .. and buddism, confucianism, are more 'philosophical' approaches to life rather than religions so they have nothing against other religions ... while satanism promotes hatred towards religous people, satanism denounces all other faiths, and satanism is the only 'anti-xxx' religon...it just revolves on how to be everything christianity is not.. it is a very anti-christian religion... while christianity (with all its flaws) was never that much 'anti-something else'

and the list goes on... i'm sorry bro. i think satanism is plain stupid as i mentioned earlier. the ONLY aspect of it that makes sense or that i consider to have a glimpse of intelligence is the definition of it, which doesnt necessarily mean "worshiping satan" ... its the 'satan' in christianity (and other religions) that we personalizied 'evil' in its form... while the truth is... not everything that christianity forbid is necessarily 'bad' or 'satanic' ... (or something like that ) that is the part i admire

besides, (this is a generelization i know) but a very large percentage of satanists are NOT peacful people minding their own buissness.. they're religion haters who promote violence towards religious people and like church burnings and shit like that ..

i know this is like saying that ALL muslims are terrorists... or all jews are zionists ... or all christians are .. i dunno.. what do we stereotype christians for ? ... but, well.. it DOES count as a con... sorry
----

09.07.2010 - 22:49
Slayer666

Written by Zombie on 29.06.2010 at 03:57

Written by Slayer666 on 15.06.2010 at 15:35

O___O

Well, other than the fct that the guy created the religion to be able to fuck 'ritually' all he wants (Probably couldnt get laid b4 that)

Of course, how could I let that detail slip past me.....

Ok, I know what you mean. I said it has some rather.... well, dumb ideas, but the whole thing is generally not such a bad concept. Most other (if not all) religions focus on the spiritual aspect of human nature, and promise rewards only after you kick the bucket (Paradise, etc.), whilst LaVeyan satanism is the opposite of this by promoting the idea that you should put yourself and bettering yourself in front of everything and everyone else. It's a very pragmatical, yet perhaps not the most "moral", approach. If I had to follow a religion, any religion, the one with such a focus on the material would be my first choice.

As for the people that call themselves Satanists, and your general disrespect of them, it's really not relevant to this discussion, as we are talking about the ideas behind the religion, not people that follow it.
09.07.2010 - 23:54
vezzy
Stallmanite
I actually doubt that many "ritual satanists" exist, I'm not sure of the exact term. Traditional satanism? People who wear inverted crosses and do sacrifices are just people who want to show off how dark and grim they are, when they really aren't.

Anyway, does anyone know of any actual rules of this type of satanism? Are there any written, legit documents about it?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.07.2010 - 02:02
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by vezzy on 09.07.2010 at 23:54

I actually doubt that many "ritual satanists" exist, I'm not sure of the exact term. Traditional satanism? People who wear inverted crosses and do sacrifices are just people who want to show off how dark and grim they are, when they really aren't.

Anyway, does anyone know of any actual rules of this type of satanism? Are there any written, legit documents about it?

Yes there is; 'The Black Bible'.
----

12.07.2010 - 17:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Zombie on 12.07.2010 at 02:02

LaVey's book?
----
12.07.2010 - 19:43
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by vezzy on 12.07.2010 at 17:11

LaVey's book?

yep, it contains the general rules and guidings as well as the details of rituals ... i could send you a copy of it in PDF format if you want.
----

12.07.2010 - 21:40
TheBigRossowski

Written by Zombie on 12.07.2010 at 19:43

Written by vezzy on 12.07.2010 at 17:11

LaVey's book?

yep, it contains the general rules and guidings as well as the details of rituals ... i could send you a copy of it in PDF format if you want.

Pretty sure that's not exactly what this dude would be looking for, man. He specifially wrote ''traditional'' and not ''LaVeyan'' Satanism. Of course, these rituals might be interesting, but also just a sort of Anton's lack of humor.
----
20.07.2010 - 15:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Ernis on 20.07.2010 at 15:27

I actually doubt that many "ritual satanists" exist, I'm not sure of the exact term. Traditional satanism? Are there any written, legit documents about it?

There's some written records bout a rather satanic ideology... there's one particular book bout what they like and wish to do but this book is considered offensive and "full of lies and libel" and, thus, is forbidden... It's forbidden in most democratic countries because it allows you to see that what they do is actually what is going on... If you read it, it's scary...

And no, I ain't speaking bout kids who wear inverted crosses and pentagrams or adults who like to "sacrifice to ancient trees"...

Do you know the title of that book?
----
05.08.2010 - 03:12
ThisIsNotHere

The Order of Nine Angles seems to be the definitive manifestation of traditional Satanism (whether or not they actually exist is debatable). Check it out, if you haven't done so already. Not gonna lie, some of it gets a bit ridiculous (to me anyway), especially if taken literally, but parts are potentially insightful. Just a matter of sifting through the material.
----
I almost cried because I acted so insensitive
06.08.2010 - 11:15
Perseverence
Account deleted
Satan, he represents all that is evil, but God is a master of all. My logic tells me that man is a slave and that Satan is the first to oppose Gods way, possibly to free us from god. My philosiphy, but I'm am a drunken redneck as well so I may just be drunk.
07.08.2010 - 03:08
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Guest on 06.08.2010 at 11:15

Satan, he represents all that is evil, but God is a master of all. My logic tells me that man is a slave and that Satan is the first to oppose Gods way, possibly to free us from god. My philosiphy, but I'm am a drunken redneck as well so I may just be drunk.

and the term 'redneck' applies to anyone from the south? you're so stereotypical
----

08.08.2010 - 21:44
Perseverence
Account deleted
Written by Zombie on 07.08.2010 at 03:08

Written by Guest on 06.08.2010 at 11:15

and the term 'redneck' applies to anyone from the south? you're so stereotypical

I am the stereotypical redneck, the only difference is I know what a computer is, I substitute Walker Texas Ranger for Bevis and Butthead, and I like METAL. But I still do stupid shit, I'm still just slightly racist, and I drink like a fish. Thank you for the complement. Perhaps I should start typing in my native languedge. Is that a good idea?
09.08.2010 - 22:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Jesus! (no pun intended) all this topic did was start a huge argument... which i like anyway i find that satanists hail satan like christians hail god, its just the other way around, its just another religion... correct me if im wrong
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.08.2010 - 02:12
Fane

Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.08.2010 at 22:01

Jesus! (no pun intended) all this topic did was start a huge argument... which i like anyway i find that satanists hail satan like christians hail god, its just the other way around, its just another religion... correct me if im wrong

Well what did you expect from a religious topic other than argumenting? Lady Gaga idolization?

No, you're sooo-oo-o-oooo wrong that I've already bashed my head to this keyboard for 10 minutes and yelled "GOD SUX AVE SATANA" and now I've "666" stamped on my forehead. God (pun intended) it feels good.

I think people always seek some "higher power" that would tell them what to do, intentionally or not. "Hard" life becomes easy. Or can you deny that it's less easy to live when there's someone who tells you what to do? LaVeyn satanism defies that. No higher power, just you. You make decisions, you take responsibility instead of asking an ancient book or stating "God's will, what could a mere human do?"

For me it makes perfect sense as I believe that religions which have "god/s" are just a production of human imagination. And in this sense, we are the gods, we created all this. Oh and for those nitpicking people, I don't mean nature nor universe.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
13.08.2010 - 01:12
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Boxcar Willy on 09.08.2010 at 22:01

i find that satanists hail satan like christians hail god, its just the other way around, its just another religion... correct me if im wrong

Mayb some people yes hail Satan in a small black cabin filled with black furniture and Mary Manson memorabilia... and they find it awesome...

In general, human beings are free... they're free in their decisions... they might also know choosing one path may be more promising and most people might be taking that side but it might make them into something low and lousy... they're also free to choose a path that might be for the losers, seemingly, but which, in fact, will take them to light... that's the case... trying to overcome all the low and inhuman things, becoming better and better...

Many people fail to do that... they either don't become better or in worse cases become really horrid people...
One idea of satanism indeed is to make people believe that becoming inhuman actually means being really human... "Only a real ass will be so stupid to forgive someone who did something lousy/only a real ass will help this pointless person etc"

I guess one might imagine how many people are actually "satanists" without knowing they are... just the way there are people who are "Christians" without really being aware of it... The actions are what matter more than going to some gatherings and attending some rites.

And, as said before... yes there are sick cults out there too... but that's another story...
05.10.2010 - 15:33
Gurth Bennas

Written by Fane on 10.08.2010 at 02:12

Oh and for those nitpicking people, I don't mean nature nor universe.

u say we created everything! but univers and nature r not our creatures! everyone know that! so sb tells me who has created them? devil or big bang or God? I'm forlorn!!!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
06.10.2010 - 17:03
Fane

Written by Gurth Bennas on 05.10.2010 at 15:33

u say we created everything! but univers and nature r not our creatures! everyone know that! so sb tells me who has created them? devil or big bang or God? I'm forlorn!!!

I seriously don't know how you read that sentence, but I excluded nature and universe. Read it again.

How nature became what it is today can be studied from books. Or if you're lazy just read the Wikipedia article.

Universe, on the other hand, is a bit more complicated system. How the universe was born is still unknown, but the Big Bang theory has been promising so far. It seems that in approximately ten years we'll know what happened back then. Will it tell us our true origin of ours? Probably not, but at least it tells us how this universe was made.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
20.10.2010 - 20:16
TheBigRossowski

Written by Fane on 06.10.2010 at 17:03

Universe, on the other hand, is a bit more complicated system. How the universe was born is still unknown, but the Big Bang theory has been promising so far. It seems that in approximately ten years we'll know what happened back then. Will it tell us our true origin of ours? Probably not, but at least it tells us how this universe was made.

Approximately ten years you say? They would be fuckin' interesting, man, that would be fuckin' interesting... let's hope to see it happen.
----
21.10.2010 - 19:04
Gorgon

I am 100% atheist and skeptic. However, as you can maybe guess from my avatar (which is partly tongue-in-cheek bacause those are my knitting needles ), I think Satan/ism is a very valid symbol.

As a more philosophical matter (which is how I view it because I think all supernatural, non-evidence based stuff is pure bullshit), I think it comes in the realm of personal opinion and personal interpretation. Which is what this is:

Satan to me symbolises indeed the adversary, the adversary of god is not a creature he himself created, which would in fact be his henchman and best buddy, but non belief. There is the very nice analogy of the apple (fig whatever) from the tree of knowledge, science, etc. Eat it, think by yourself, and you are cursed, you are out.

Religion is being a slave to ignorance, being enslaved by fear of the unknown. Skepticism, free thought, is as free as we are ever gonna get within our limitations, which are host, and the only possible tool for this is science, which is self-correcting.

All the rest is bullshit. Decorative bullshit, sometimes, but bullshit nonetheless.
21.10.2010 - 19:37
FOOCK Nam

Written by vezzy on 20.07.2010 at 15:42

Written by Ernis on 20.07.2010 at 15:27

I actually doubt that many "ritual satanists" exist, I'm not sure of the exact term. Traditional satanism? Are there any written, legit documents about it?

There's some written records bout a rather satanic ideology... there's one particular book bout what they like and wish to do but this book is considered offensive and "full of lies and libel" and, thus, is forbidden... It's forbidden in most democratic countries because it allows you to see that what they do is actually what is going on... If you read it, it's scary...

And no, I ain't speaking bout kids who wear inverted crosses and pentagrams or adults who like to "sacrifice to ancient trees"...

Do you know the title of that book?

I want to know too. If you got it already, I will PM.
22.10.2010 - 15:21
Fane

Written by TheBigRossowski on 20.10.2010 at 20:16

Approximately ten years you say? They would be fuckin' interesting, man, that would be fuckin' interesting... let's hope to see it happen.

Why not? Considering how fast science is expanding it seems realistic that we'll know what happened during the first moments of Big Bang after 10 years. Think how much we've learned during the past decade. Then again, I'm not an oracle which means God could wave his hand and send us back to Stone Age.
----
Coffee for power
Music for creativity
Sarcasm for fun
22.10.2010 - 16:46
TheBigRossowski

Written by Fane on 22.10.2010 at 15:21

Written by TheBigRossowski on 20.10.2010 at 20:16

Why not? Considering how fast science is expanding it seems realistic that we'll know what happened during the first moments of Big Bang after 10 years. Think how much we've learned during the past decade. Then again, I'm not an oracle which means God could wave his hand and send us back to Stone Age.

I think we misunderstood each other then. I thought you meant before the Big Bang, but you simply wrote ''back then''. Science is kind of clear what happened back then, but not certain. Formation of particles and anti-particles, etc.etc.

Anyways, I don't want to mess with the big-bad satanists, so we could move this to the Universe thread if you'd like.
----