07. Sanctuary [US release]
08. Charlotte The Harlot
09. Iron Maiden

Disc II [1995 reissue bonus]
01. Sanctuary
02. Burning Ambition
03. Drifter [live]
04. I've Got The Fire [Montrose cover]

For my first review, I was faced with a dilemma as to which album to look at. The answer lay in my current favourite band, and where better to start than the very beginning, in East London, 1980?

This is proto-Maiden v.1.1. There, that's the review right there. What, you want more? Okay. This album is a bit of a mixed bag at times. Taken in context, it's bloody amazing. Steve Harris wrote the majority of the songs here when he was a teenager, and the complexity of the songs for the era and age of composer amazes me. Unfortunately, the lyrics are not as polished as on later releases, and gems on this disc like "Prowler" pale in comparison when compared to "Caught Somewhere in Time" or "The Trooper."

Throughout, the album consistently displays what would become the mainstays of Maiden's arsenal in a very primitive form; the galloping bass, the dual-guitar harmonies and melodic, emotive and memorable solos are all here (although Adrian Smith is still missing from the equation). Speaking of primitive, the production is also very raw, with an almost punky feel to it, which perfectly complements Paul Di'anno's low, grating vocals. Check out Remember Tomorrow for some great vocal-guitar trade-offs and some choice screams from Di'anno.

"Prowler" is the opener and possibly the best track here; from its simply cool intro riff to Dave Murray's melodic leads, this song grabs you by the neck and slaps you into wakefulness. After you perk up your ears, the album continues with the rocker "Sanctuary," the catchy single "Running Free" and the slightly schizophrenic "Remember Tomorrow." Phantom of the Opera is a brilliant epic number, and a great hint of what was to come with gems like "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Alexander the Great." It also features one of the most compelling riffs in Maiden's catalogue-this song DEMANDS that you bang your head, yet not in a thrashy way. It's more?laid back. There's also a brilliant instrumental section and some top-class solos in the middle; definitely an early masterpiece!

As I mentioned earlier, the songwriting is quite shallow in places, although when it's brilliant it is damn good, believe me. For such young artists they show an incredible degree of both technical proficiency and emotive power, especially in the solos. Again, this is no "Powerslave" album, but it is still damn good, Clive Burr is particularly talented on drums, although this would not truly emerge until his final album with the band. As for the originality of the album, there is a strong influence from hard rock/punk bands here, mainly thanks to Di'anno's punk roots (or influences, whatever you want to call them) and vocals, and also thanks to the scarcity of "metal" at the time. However, the combination of raw production and melodic compositions mark this album as a real must-have for any 80's metal, NWOBHM or Maiden fan.

Best tracks: Prowler, Phantom of the Opera, Charlotte the Harlot

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by RavenLord | 04.08.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Pierre Tombale
Rating:
This album is from the jurassic period of Iron Maiden, for the band's singer back in the days was not Bruce Dickinson, who was lead-singer for the band Samson at that time. Instead you will hear Paul Di'Anno, who has a fiery, kind of raw voice. With screaming guitars and the great bass-playing, which Steve Harris is famous for, Iron Maiden recorded their self titled debut.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2003 | Comments (10)

Guest review by
Arian Totalis
Rating:
After years of difficulty, Steve Harris must have been quite exhilarated when he learned that Maiden would have the opportunity to finally record their first full length album. While many fans may argue that this is one of Iron Maiden's most classic albums, Steve Harris himself was unhappy with the end result, thinking that there were many improvements that could have been made but simply weren't. Whether or not you like this album though, this is their debut album, so thus the classic words were rendered: "Iron Maiden can't be fought, Iron Maiden can't be sought".

Read more ››
published 23.02.2010 | Comments (18)

Comments

Comments: 25   Visited by: 95 users
24.08.2006 - 16:56
Baz Anderson

its good to see this album get a bit of attention for once
i think this is one of the best Iron Maiden albums.. well i say that but i can think of quite a few more that are probably as good or better in my opinion

yeh, this album does have a kinda punky feel to it in places and the guitars sound really raw, but i like that
for a first album as well - this is something quite special

for all the people that decided to give it a miss because Bruce doesnt sing on it - give it a go!! its fantastic
24.08.2006 - 18:07
Rating: 9
RavenLord

Thanks for the comment. I may have been a bit harsh in the final score, but that's partly because I don't want to rank this album too high, otherwise if I come to review Piece of Mind or Seventh Son I'll have to give them perfect 10s, which I don't feel is right, personally. Still, like you said, this is a brilliant album and not one to be ignored...it's a damn sight better than most bands first releases...how many people still listen to 'Rocka Rolla'? :p
----
24.08.2006 - 20:16
Baz Anderson

ha, well yeh. thats the only thing that Iron Maiden have done better then Judas Priest haha
'Rocka Rolla' isnt bad but it isnt anywhere as good as their other albums
24.08.2006 - 21:00
Rating: 8
Richard

Accurate review, and a fair assessment of the album taking into consideration its historical value etc. 7.6 is a fair enough main rating. Not one of my favourite Maiden albums overall, but 'Phantom of the Opera' is brilliant, one of the best Maiden songs ever!
----
12.10.2006 - 01:32
DudeitsKevin
Account deleted
Dude its so much better that bruce didnt sing on it. I love diannos scratchy vocals. Prowler is like the best song, all the songs are good. Running Free was awsome, and their no-lyric Transilvania is so fun to play

PS

Anyone know what guitar Dave Murray used during the Killers Tour?

Also Adrian
19.10.2006 - 23:17
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
This is definately one of my top 5 Maiden records, I'd rate it 9/10. The only problem is the lyrics, which actually fits with the music, so they are okay. Strange World is a really underrated song, and Charlotte the Harlot is great! It is really catchy! All others songs rule aswell of course One of the most even Maidenalbums, no fillers
10.02.2007 - 23:28
RavenLord

Written by Guest on 12.10.2006 at 01:32

Anyone know what guitar Dave Murray used during the Killers Tour?

Also Adrian

Dave Murray - Black Fender Stratocaster (what else!)

Adrian Smith - Gold Gibson Les Paul (Can be seen in the bonus DVD section of A Matter of Life and Death)

You can see them both here, live at the Rainbow.
----
11.02.2007 - 01:32
Rating: 10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
pretty good review, keep it up.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
10.07.2007 - 06:39
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Uuunnndddeeerrr---rrraaattteeeddd!!! As is Killers.

My top Maiden album, one of my very favourites of all time, all the songs totally own and destroy. Phantom is second best - to Remember Tomorrow LOVE that song! Sorry I can't really explain why. Maybe it's just the guitars... or everything together
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
09.11.2007 - 14:56
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Syk on 10.07.2007 at 06:39

Uuunnndddeeerrr---rrraaattteeeddd!!! As is Killers.

My top Maiden album, one of my very favourites of all time, all the songs totally own and destroy. Phantom is second best - to Remember Tomorrow LOVE that song! Sorry I can't really explain why. Maybe it's just the guitars... or everything together

Totally agree! This album just simply rules.
14.11.2007 - 18:15
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Man, one of the most important albums in Heavy Metal's history, totally! And for that time, and their age, fantastic album.
I mean, take Phantom of The Opera - classic that will never be surpassed.
I cannot put my thoughts about it in this little box, Id preferre to write a whole book about this album.
Good review for a good album!!!
----
31.03.2008 - 02:20
IronBlackZepp

This is a very raw album for the great Iron Maiden. Many say that the production is poor, but I always liked it just as it is. Di'Anno is a great singer who is up there with the best. The only real reason he never got as much attention as Dickinson is because he wasn't on Number of the Beast and Dickinson was. I do however like Dickinsons vocal stile more then Di'Annos, but Di'Anno still rocks.

Dennis Stratton one the other hand is not really fit it well, but he deos pretty good non the less. I think that This band was still a very great band in this point of time.

Up the Irons!!!
31.03.2008 - 21:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Actually, this is one of my favourite albums ever. I love it. These songs sound so good and they are so fun at the same time. Its a classic really.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.04.2008 - 20:39
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i love it cause bruce is not there for sure. and i dont think maiden ends with bruce cause u know they did albums without bruce later too. i dont know what did bruce that maiden fans like him so much.
i cant see any metal personality in him. for example at the "Holy Smoke" music video.

i give this album 10 cause this album started a new wave of all metal. and fortunatly the singer wasnt bruce. Remember Tomorrow is my favorite song here.
20.07.2008 - 18:21
gerrard888
Account deleted
9/10 for sure great album given it was maiden's first
prowler, phantom of the opera, Transylvania,Iron Maiden.Strange World.Remember Tomorrow great songs
20.08.2008 - 17:23
Elio
Red Nightmare
Man the final vote is too low for this amazing album...Iron Maiden's best!
ALL the songs here are very good...Remember Tomorrow, Prowler, Phantom Of The Opera, Strange Wolrd...cannot choose.
10/10
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
19.10.2008 - 12:12
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Very fair review, completly agree on the best tracks too.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
01.03.2009 - 03:11
AngelOfDisease

This is my favorite album by them. I can't understand why this does not have as much attention as their other albums... it's perfect. Much better than powerslave or the number of the beast.
12.06.2010 - 12:27
Nyoink

My fave Maiden album. Enough said.
11.08.2010 - 02:46
@gent_-_orange

In my opinion it is as good as anything they have released with Bruce, its just a classic
11.08.2010 - 13:51
RavenKing

Not their greatest album but still quite superior to anything post-Seventh Son.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.07.2011 - 02:31
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 11.08.2010 at 13:51

Not their greatest album but still quite superior to anything post-Seventh Son.

+1
19.03.2013 - 17:29
@gent_-_orange

Written by @gent_-_orange on 11.08.2010 at 02:46

In my opinion it is as good as anything they have released with Bruce, its just a classic

Scratch that, Its better.
19.03.2013 - 17:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by @gent_-_orange on 19.03.2013 at 17:29

Written by @gent_-_orange on 11.08.2010 at 02:46

Scratch that, Its better.

Welcome back to the dark side my friend
Imo it is indeed better than anything with Bruce.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.07.2015 - 19:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IMO IM came around in 70's not as band but as friends and I remember Harris waited when Bruce finishes school
East London it is since Steve likes Upton park and Hammers

who wrote lyrics in this and next album? I asked in album place, non answered (even man who knows almost all)

IMO we can compare lyrics because elater Bruce did write or co write
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5025 | This month: 18