Metal Storm logo
Kamelot - Vocalist Falls Ill, N. American Tour Postponed

Original news, posted on 04.09.2010

Kamelot have made the following statement:

"The band and crew are all here in Tampa rehearsing for the tour. Visas have been cleared and the guys are in good spirits and ready to party with all of you. However, during rehearsals, Roy Khantatat became severely ill. Due to this, as yet undiagnosed, illness, Roy reluctantly has been forced to head back home to Norway. He is currently under his physician's care, but unfortunately these circumstances will prevent him from joining us on the North American concert tour. Of course, we want Roy to take care of his health as priority one for now and for the future.

After much consideration on how to proceed, all of us in Kamelot feel strongly about keeping our commitment to our fans, promoters, and support bands on this tour! We are all ready and excited about playing these shows, we have flown in people from around the world to be apart of it and it has been in the works over a year! Therefore, we are working diligently with a fantastic singer willing to step in at the eleventh hour in order to make this tour a reality - our good friend Michael Eriksen from Circus Maximus has agreed to fill in for Roy! And we are excited to announce a special guest: Swedish vocalist Elize Ryd from Amaranthe will be joining the band on the North American Tour. She will also be part of the VIP meet and greet! Elize toured with us on our Summer Pandemonium Tour and also the European tour earlier this Spring.

Roy also commented: "I am terribly sorry that I cannot do this upcoming tour in North America this fall. We have our most fantastic album ever coming out in September, and the timing could have been better I guess. The band has my full and unconditional blessing to go out there and kick ass regardless, and I feel we have found a good replacement in Michael. He is a very good singer and long time friend. Be good to him! Hope to see you soon!"

Michael states: "Roy and I go way back, so when he called and asked me to help him and the rest of Kamelot to do their long planned USA tour, I told him, 'Sure bro, I am there for you.' It will be big shoes to fill, but in his honor I will do my best to give the Kamelotfans a show they have long awaited. So grab your earplugs and come join the party!"

UPDATE: (thanks to Zhao)

Last week, Kamelot announced that vocalist Roy "Khan" Khantatat was sitting out the upcoming North American trek because of a severe illness. Circus Maximus Michael Eriksen would be falling in for Khan. But now the band has announced they're postponing the tour altogether. Here's the official word:

"We have been rehearsing like madmen here in Tampa ? the band is tighter than ever and Michael from Circus Maximus is truly an amazing singer; if there is one male vocalist in this world who is on par with Roy, it is Michael! However, after today's rehearsal, we all decided that we do not feel right about doing the North American tour as anything less than a 100% Kamelot Experience.

We appreciate that many fans have waited more than 2 years for new material and to see us perform together. Our new album, Poetry for the Poisoned represents a labor of love from us, and to present it at anything less than full strength seems a disservice to all involved. Though we will suffer financial losses on this late hour cancellation, we still feel it's the right decision for us as a band to make - we regret disappointing all those who worked so hard to shape this tour, and especially those fans who were still so willing to come through and support us despite Roy's absence. We are humbled by that type of support, and we sincerely hope that our return in full form Kamelot strength will be more reward for your unwavering loyalty!

We will reschedule all shows in the near future, once Roy is able to return. Refunds can be obtained at the point of purchase. To thank Michael for his effort, the band will still appear at the sold-out Progpower Festival, as a one off show with him and many special guest singers from the festival. It will be one hellava party! Again, we want to thank all of you for your amazing support!"

Source: kamelot.com
Band profile: Kamelot
Event: Kamelot + Leaves' Eyes [POSTPONED]
Posted: 08.09.2010 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 345 users
04.09.2010 - 12:53
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Holy fuck. Roy is my favorite vocal, but this must sound awesome. Eriksen is just fantastic vocalist
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
04.09.2010 - 13:11
Angelic Storm
Melodious
That is terrible news. Hope Khan gets better soon. Michael Eriksen is a great vocalist, and it will be interesting to hear what Kamelot sound like with him on vocals. Hopefully there'll be a few youtube videos posted from the tour. lol
04.09.2010 - 13:45
ruffio

Damn. 'Undiagnosed illness' that's pretty scary. Hope he gets better soon.
04.09.2010 - 15:16
RavenLord

Written by Akio on 04.09.2010 at 13:59

What the hell is happening this year!!!??? Good musicians get ill or even die. I hope he gets better and Nergal too.

I doubt it's as bad as Nergal's situation. My guess is he's picked up some form of stomach bug, as Kamelot haven't been touring anywhere where they've been exposed to some of the nastier infections around. It's a bit too sudden to be anything other than an infectious illness - I'm sure people who've seen them tour festival circuits over the last few months will say that Khan looked fine. Hopefully he'll recover soon.
----
04.09.2010 - 16:05
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Let's hope its nothing serious, and he gets better soon. It's scary indeed, specially after all that thing around Nergal's illness. Really hope they get better.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
04.09.2010 - 16:19
Enissa

Thts very bad news, hope he'll get better soon....... the new album looks awesome...
04.09.2010 - 16:35
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
Bullshit, Just got my tix for their show. Well the show must go on and I know it will still be great to see them live. I sure hope he feels better!!!
----
Chef Metal Head
04.09.2010 - 17:13
Sasha Batrakov
Account deleted
I got tickets too! meet and greet VIP passes! And Roy wont be there first nergal now roy. I hope they both have speedy recoveries
04.09.2010 - 17:18
themetalman
Account deleted
Roy needs to get better, but Michael is a great vocalist, smart replacement for the tour... it'd better not be a serious illness
04.09.2010 - 17:31
JÄY
Metal slave
Yeah, hes prolly gunna die
04.09.2010 - 18:28
Jiri

Jay fuck you, you little naysayer!
04.09.2010 - 18:30
Dargor

No! No! This is terrible news I hope he'll get better really soon...
I was so eager to see Khan live one more time, the Montreal show is in 2 weeks.
I don't know the other signer but I would prefer that they postpone the shows so Roy can get back on stage N. American tour.
This will just not be the same without him on stage.

But it's a pretty selfish thing to say... So I truly hope the best for him.
04.09.2010 - 19:44
TemplarLS

Khan! U are great man u will recover soon! We love u!!!!!
04.09.2010 - 19:50
codyallenmusic

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Dude this is my favorite vocalist of all time, and I am seeing Kamelot wednesday. GOD, I would have rather gotten the show pushed back, but I understand that this was last second. Anyway, I hope khan gets better and I will be in Orlando Wednesday to support the rest of the band, get better Roy!
04.09.2010 - 20:10
spiritofvengence

NO NO NO NO NO!
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.
04.09.2010 - 22:52
Elodie Artour
Slania
Jeez... "Indiagnosed illness" - that sounds scary! I'm not a fan of Roy but anyway, I wish him speedy recovery!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
04.09.2010 - 23:40
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I'm a fan of Kamelot and they kick ass live...you never know what to expect and everything is a surprise, right? I mean, you could wake up dead tomorrow...its already been said, but its just unbelievable who has died and fallen ill this year...I personally wasn't expecting to come in here today and see that Khan is seriously ill...
05.09.2010 - 03:45
Novas

Written by JÄY on 04.09.2010 at 17:31

Yeah, hes prolly gunna die

Yea dude, no say that man. That aint cool. Kamelot was one of the first metal bands i got into cuz of Khan's voice & talent..no homo..The band brought me out of depression during high school
05.09.2010 - 04:13
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Best wishes to Khan, and hopefully we'll at least know the reasons behind the illness in the future Considering my last experience with a substitute vocalist, during an Epica tour (Amanda Somerville in place of Simone) turned out great, I'm looking forward to experiencing Kamelot in a new way this time around on the 17th this month.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
05.09.2010 - 04:30
opeth771

Well screw this, im not buying tickets for the Montreal show...
05.09.2010 - 06:05
Symmachus

I hope the tour goes well, and that Roy Khantatat (who I didn't know was Norwegian, by the way) gets better and that his current illness is nothing life-threatening.
05.09.2010 - 08:10
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Damn it! I was looking forward to this show too! I'm not going now, fuck this. Not worth calling off of work to see Leave's Eyes and a Kamelot without Roy.
05.09.2010 - 12:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I wish Roy get well again soon...but i found an idea of going tour with different vocalist quite strange - i understand guitarist or other musician being replaced, but different singing almost means different band most of the time...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.09.2010 - 15:01
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Get well soon Mr. Roy.
05.09.2010 - 23:55
Nicoline

That got me worried, hope it's nothing too serious D: Good luck with the tour anyway!
06.09.2010 - 16:45
prk

The rest of circus maximus should come along too, now that would be a show
----
well that's just like... your opinion, man...
07.09.2010 - 00:23
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Wow..my daughter just told me about the tour - they will be in our town on the 22nd of Sept - and I remember seeing some news about Kamelot's singer. It's bittersweet for me : I am not a big Kamelot fan, I'd go to show for Leaves' Eyes but I am a HUGE Circus Maximus fan. I wish no ill-will on anyone I hope Roy gets better.
----
rekt
07.09.2010 - 09:50
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Pretty sure there isn't any reason to listen to Kamelot without Khan. He sorta makes the band.
07.09.2010 - 09:57
MeTalRea|istiK

No way..kamelot is khan..khan is kamelot..no khan kamelot is shit!!
08.09.2010 - 16:05
Elodie Artour
Slania
And why the hell doesn't anyone tell us what kind of disease has Roy?! It's not like it's gonna harm them, too. Jeez, I'm starting to feel pretty worried!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...

Hits total: 5619 | This month: 4