11. Hell & Consequences
12. Get Inside

Music videos
13. 30/30-150
14. Through Glass
15. Sillyworld
16. Made Of Scars
17. Reborn

It is fairly well-known that Stone Sour is the side-project led by Corey Taylor and James Root, Slipknot's vocalist and guitarist respectively. What is also widely recognized is that this project worked as an escape valve for the emotional outburst suffocated (at the time) on their main band, resulting in albums with quite an emotional appeal while persisting on a pseudo-brutal semblance. Of course, when it comes to a mainstream radio-hit alternative/nu metal release, no one can expect anything different, but Come What(ever) May has managed to gather some of the worst aspects in this musical field.

First of all, this album is a disaster lyrically; the deteriorated ''I am this, you did that'' blabbering is exhaustive in most songs, with terrible selection of vocabulary for both emotional and agitated moments. Although there is not much to complain about instrumental performance, nothing besides some random exciting riffs and Corey's clean vocals talent is worth a glimpse in the memory; but after all, not even those qualities are enough to save the four cheesy ballads of the album, with squishy choruses that would make Kelly Clarkson herself blush. For the heavier songs, a plateful of juvenile fury and even a political critic attempt on the title track that end up in a failure of epic proportions.

What can truly be said to save this album is that some moments succeed in captivating the listener and stirring the boredom sea in which we are drowning most of the time. ''Socio'' and ''Hell & Consequences'' present decent catchy choruses that are not grossly gluey and definitely enjoyable in small doses. ''Zzyxz Rd.'' gets the title of winner ballad, the one with an appropriate choice of words enhancing the stunning vocal work and therefore allowing the propagation of feelings intended, despite the pretentious annoying solo at the end that almost ruins everything.

Come What(ever) May lies swinging in the tenuous average/bad borderline. The radio-rock exposure destroyed every possible vestige of originality and attractiveness for a slightly rigorous audience, but they do not totally obliterate the entertainment value of the release. It is all simplistic, immature and even presumptuous in some moments, not to mention the ''super easy'' difficulty level for the ears.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 4
Production: 8

Written by Uirapuru | 05.09.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 75 users
06.09.2010 - 02:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't think I ever heard this album, perhaps just one of the songs on Kerrang! many years ago. I actually used to really like the self-titled debut, perhaps just a sign of the time, it has fond memories attached to it. Orchids (I think) was a particularly good song. Can't see myself bothering with this one then.
06.09.2010 - 02:54
Rating: 5
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 06.09.2010 at 02:06

I don't think I ever heard this album, perhaps just one of the songs on Kerrang! many years ago. I actually used to really like the self-titled debut, perhaps just a sign of the time, it has fond memories attached to it. Orchids (I think) was a particularly good song. Can't see myself bothering with this one then.

I also like the first album, it came out during my major Slipknot addiction some years ago.

Somehow the accesible but still compelling alternative metal of the self-titled was lost in this extra-pretentious, acoustic stuffed and appelative album. =/
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 3432 | This month: 5