04. Hard Times Hangin...
05. Subterranean Cities
06. Time Is the Living
07. Mental Parasite [bonus]
08. Death Tribe [bonus]

Staff review by
Doc G.
Rating:
Disclaimer: In relativity to my other reviews, this one may contain abnormal amounts of pretentious douche-bag imagery, as well as large, cool sounding words that are completely beyond my comprehension. I'm just really fucking stoked on this album.

Music becomes a strange place when almost every good idea has been conjured up, then copied a couple hundred times. It leads to two main paths; either become another clone, or try and create something so bizarre, or so outlandish that it comes across as different for the mere purpose of being different. But every once in a while, you come across a band like Children. Hard Times Hangin' At The End Of The World proves that unique doesn't have to mean experimental beyond accessibility.

Read more ››
published 27.05.2010 | Comments (19)

Trippy, punky, thrashy, proggy, psychedelic and whatever the fuck else you want to call it. This is bordering experimental without being pretentious. Just a fun album all around. A definite recommendation for anyone interested in thrash, punk, or any form of hard music that challenges the norm.

Doc Godin's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Collin, Mr. Doctor

Found in 10 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 223 users
08.09.2010 - 20:18
Rating: 9
bard

I can't believe this album slipped by me last year. This is some awesome funky ass thrash!
----
11.05.2011 - 16:48
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
This album does exactly one thing: it rocks!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.12.2011 - 09:50
Rating: 8
Whoblehwah

This album is underrated in my opinion.
23.12.2014 - 22:23
Zap
This album is extremely awesome, but what happened to this band? Are they still active? Are they gonna release more stuff? I have to know!
09.06.2015 - 22:57
Rating: 9
Gummingurru

Written by Zap on 23.12.2014 at 22:23

This album is extremely awesome, but what happened to this band? Are they still active? Are they gonna release more stuff? I have to know!

It says they split up on metal archives, and I remember reading the same thing elsewhere. On last.fm it says they are still playing, but it seems someone mixed it up with another band with the same name. Guess they are split up
18.09.2015 - 18:42
Zap
Written by Gummingurru on 09.06.2015 at 22:57

It says they split up on metal archives, and I remember reading the same thing elsewhere. On last.fm it says they are still playing, but it seems someone mixed it up with another band with the same name. Guess they are split up

Only just now saw this comment.

Fuck. Anyone have an idea what the former members are up to?
05.11.2017 - 17:35
VIG
Account deleted
This sounds tasty. I'm intrigued.
23.06.2019 - 03:22
VIG
Account deleted
Honestly as much as I like this album, I don't think it should be labeled as "Psychedelic thrash metal", but instead just "Progressive thrash" or something like that. There aren't really any psychedelic music influences here..
23.06.2019 - 13:07
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by Guest on 23.06.2019 at 03:22

Honestly as much as I like this album, I don't think it should be labeled as "Psychedelic thrash metal", but instead just "Progressive thrash" or something like that. There aren't really any psychedelic music influences here..

Does "Psychedelic Thrash" even exist?
Children are were the only band on MS tagged like this...
You're right, "progressive" is the correct term - thanks!

Gotta check the database for avantgarde power metal, melodic crust punk, extreme neofolk, symphonic grindcore and technical doom now...
----
signatures = SPAM
23.06.2019 - 17:11
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Starvynth on 23.06.2019 at 13:07

Does "Psychedelic Thrash" even exist?
Children are were the only band on MS tagged like this...
You're right, "progressive" is the correct term - thanks!

Gotta check the database for avantgarde power metal, melodic crust punk, extreme neofolk, symphonic grindcore and technical doom now...

Honestly I thought while writing my comment, some band out there could potentially make "psychedelic thrash" by combining psychedelic music and thrash metal, Children just did not accomplish that.
23.06.2019 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Starvynth on 23.06.2019 at 13:07

and technical doom now...

Confessor does play that. And Non Ficiton could well be labelled as such as well
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.06.2019 - 17:51
Starvynth
i c deaf people
That's true.
But you do know that I'm trying very hard to entirely forget Confessor, right?
Last time I heard combaribly horrible vocals it was myself. At the dentist.
----
signatures = SPAM
23.06.2019 - 18:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Starvynth on 23.06.2019 at 17:51

That's true.
But you do know that I'm trying very hard to entirely forget Confessor, right?
Last time I heard combaribly horrible vocals it was myself. At the dentist.

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.02.2022 - 20:58
Rating: 10
Metal Rasputin

This is one of those kinds of albums where the listener can never tell exactly what's going to happen as the songs progress. Rather than being just thrash metal it's more like something of a fusion of stoner rock, punk and technical thrash, so there's lots of things happening all the time, yet this thing never feels pretentious. I wish they would release more stuff like this.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!

Hits total: 8988 | This month: 8