Metal Storm logo
Iced Earth - An Update On The Band

Later this month, Iced Earth will be doing a four city mini-tour in the US. The show is promised to be a special night with a fan-selected Iced Earth set list, and the live debut of Sons Of Libery, the brainchild of Jon Schaffer featuring Schaffer on lead vocals. Here's the official press release:

"When Jon Schaffer does something, he does it right. Like creating an eclectic, fan-favorite set list for Iced Earth's upcoming limited-engagement U.S. tour.

"I wanted to give fans something really special," Schaffer said. "So I put together songs that include some we've rarely played live before, and at least one that reaches back to our first album. Even long-time fans of Iced Earth are going to be surprised."

Iced Earth kicks off its four-city U.S. tour on September 10 in Washington DC, followed by Chicago (September 21), New York (September 23), and West Hollywood (September 25).

But the set list isn't the only treat in store for fans of Iced Earth. Schaffer's Sons Of Liberty band, featuring Schaffer on lead vocals, makes its live debut on this tour.

"Sons of Liberty is a project that is near and dear to my heart," Schaffer said. "I'm very passionate about it. This is an opportunity for me to speak directly to the people. Hopefully, I can inspire them to look into the message and wake up to what is going on around them. This isn't about me thinking I'm a great singer or front man. In fact, through the rehearsing process my respect has only grown for Matt Barlow. Doing lead vocals presents a whole new set of challenges for me."

According to Schaffer, the response to his Sons of Liberty album Brush-Fires of the Mind has been overwhelming. It was only officially released on July 13, but already tens of thousands of copies have been sold and given away on his web site. Hundreds more are downloaded every week.

But as popular as Sons of Liberty has become, it's Iced Earth that takes center stage this month. "We haven't been this energized and passionate in a long time," Schaffer said. "We are definitely going to kick ass, and have a lot of fun doing it."

Preparing for the four-city tour isn't all that's been keeping Schaffer busy these days. He's also working on a new Iced Earth album (scheduled for release Spring, 2011), a live DVD (scheduled for release before the end of this year), and a special project he will only say fans will "freakin' love."

The soon-to-be-released DVD is called Festivals of the Wicked. It features full-length concerts from Wacken, 2007 (with Tim "Ripper" Owens on lead vocals), Metal Camp and Rock Hard, 2008 (with Matt Barlow on lead vocals), a rockin' road movie, a long interview with Jon, and more."

More updates as we get them.

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Posted: 09.09.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 25   Visited by: 314 users
09.09.2010 - 16:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I hate the USA.
09.09.2010 - 16:21
PrettyMao

I hate people with fat arms.
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
09.09.2010 - 17:37
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
FINALLY!! A new album... hopefully it's a cut above Crucible.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
09.09.2010 - 18:39
SkaldfraNorden

Written by Valentin B on 09.09.2010 at 16:13

I hate the USA.

This.

But at least Europe got the Big 4 tour

Looking forward to IE dvd!:banger2:
09.09.2010 - 18:41
Iced Angel

New album ... hell yeaaaahhhhhhhh I wonder what is the "Special Project?" A new Demons and Wizards album ?
09.09.2010 - 18:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Iced Angel on 09.09.2010 at 18:41

New album ... hell yeaaaahhhhhhhh I wonder what is the "Special Project?" A new Demons and Wizards album ?

maybe it´s gonna be a D/W tour... but that's a bit too much to hope for..
09.09.2010 - 19:28
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
Sons of Liberty??? Man, i love Iced Earth, but this redneck stuff is killing me...
09.09.2010 - 22:28
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
"Sons of Liberty?"
I'm sure it'll be good, but, come on, what ever happened to Set Abominae?
09.09.2010 - 22:56
YoreLore

Sons of Liberty album isnt bad at all actually. Quite enjoyed an album with Schaffer on vocals
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
09.09.2010 - 23:58
RavenKing

Written by Holy Man on 09.09.2010 at 17:37

Let's hope the next album will be much much better than TCOM. This album sucks from beginning to end.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
10.09.2010 - 00:51
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Written by RavenKing on 09.09.2010 at 23:58

Written by Holy Man on 09.09.2010 at 17:37

Let's hope the next album will be much much better than TCOM. This album sucks from beginning to end.

Yeah I wasn't as impressed with it as i am with the older stuff. I think it has it's bright points... but not enough to make it one of my favorites...
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
10.09.2010 - 01:27
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Yeah the last two albums were weak, even The Glorious Burden had a better track listing. They need a recovery album to boost the fans!
10.09.2010 - 02:16
yourmomiskvlt

Just who are iced earth trying to appeal too? last time i checked metal wasn't very popular with the inbred racist hillbilly crowd.

Stay tuned for the new hit song of of Sons of Liberty, "i didn't vote for no muslim nigger from kenya, hyuck."
10.09.2010 - 20:29
BrightNight

Written by yourmomiskvlt on 10.09.2010 at 02:16

Just who are iced earth trying to appeal too? last time i checked metal wasn't very popular with the inbred racist hillbilly crowd.

Stay tuned for the new hit song of of Sons of Liberty, "i didn't vote for no muslim nigger from kenya, hyuck."

Last time you checked? I dont think you checked anything about this.

Are you trying to be 'very' funny? Clearly you dont know anything at all about what Sons of Liberty is about. It has nothing to do at all with muslims, niggers or anything racist whatsoever. Besides that that, Iced Earth is not trying to appeal to a new crowd. Sons of Liberty is a side project by John Schaffer and has nothing to do with Iced Earth.

Read and listen before commenting on something. Lame ass people who speak about things they dont know anything about are....
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
15.09.2010 - 08:20
BMR Monkey

Didnt like sons of liberty
15.09.2010 - 13:04
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Iced Angel on 09.09.2010 at 18:41

Seeing as the last Demons & Wizards album was miles better than the last Iced Earth one, Id sooner have new D&W material tbh. lol

TCOM is EASILY Iced Earth's worst album, IMO. The only positive thoughts I have on an upcoming IE album, is I just cannot fathom it being any worse than TCOM. It has to be an improvement, surely. I only liked about 4 songs on it, very poor album. "Framing Armageddon" was hardly a classic, but compared to TCOM, it was.

I don't like the Sons Of Liberty album. I have no problem with the lyrics, but the music was very dull to me. Granted, I didnt give it much of a chance, but I found it quite poor when I listened to it.
15.09.2010 - 14:01
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 15.09.2010 at 13:04

Seeing as the last Demons & Wizards album was miles better than the last Iced Earth one, Id sooner have new D&W material tbh. lol

TCOM is EASILY Iced Earth's worst album, IMO. The only positive thoughts I have on an upcoming IE album, is I just cannot fathom it being any worse than TCOM. It has to be an improvement, surely. I only liked about 4 songs on it, very poor album. "Framing Armageddon" was hardly a classic, but compared to TCOM, it was.

I don't like the Sons Of Liberty album. I have no problem with the lyrics, but the music was very dull to me. Granted, I didnt give it much of a chance, but I found it quite poor when I listened to it.

I agree on the last Demons & Wizards album being much better than TCOM. The last Iced Earth album was simply boring as hell, so awful I can't find the words to describe how bad it was. A total failure. Like you, I can't imagine how Iced Earth could release a worst album than TCOM. Personally, I believe this band is dead and will never recover enough to be interesting again but that's only my opinion (though shared by some, as I can see by reading comments on the internet). Such excrutiatingly boring chugga-chug this piece of crap was.

As for Sons Of Liberty, I checked a few songs, thought they sucked, and never cared for this project after that. I must say I'm not especially attracted by political patriotic bullshit in general.
Also, I think Schaffer lost the touch completely and will never write anything on par with Iced Earth's old material (until "The Dark Saga").
----
08.10.2010 - 06:31
MidnightRitual

I like all the different styles of Iced Earth, dont be so close-minded about them they are artists and they change like you and me. Im excited for the new music
09.10.2010 - 14:25
RavenKing

Written by MidnightRitual on 08.10.2010 at 06:31

I like all the different styles of Iced Earth, dont be so close-minded about them they are artists and they change like you and me. Im excited for the new music

Don't bring this worthless and void 'close-mindedness' argument. It has zero value. If people think the music on TCOM sucks, it has nothing to do with 'close-mindedness' but with musical tastes. Can't you just keep your bullshit for yourself and simply accept that there are people who sincerely believe the album sucks?
Or is your username a hint at your personality?
----
23.12.2010 - 01:01
MidnightRitual

Hahaha yea you know it. Way to argue, the best way is to use rude words. Well Fuck You Piece of Shit Dick Head Mutha Fucker! There I just won. You are one of the close-minded dick-heads Im referring to. That is my opinion. They are like assholes- everyones got one! shit head.
26.12.2010 - 15:41
RavenKing

Written by MidnightRitual on 23.12.2010 at 01:01

Hahaha yea you know it. Way to argue, the best way is to use rude words. Well Fuck You Piece of Shit Dick Head Mutha Fucker! There I just won. You are one of the close-minded dick-heads Im referring to. That is my opinion. They are like assholes- everyones got one! shit head.

Poor thing. So much frustration and anger. You need a good fuck to forget all those negative feelings.
----
26.12.2010 - 15:47
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by RavenKing on 26.12.2010 at 15:41

Poor thing. So much frustration and anger. You need a good fuck to forget all those negative feelings.

Look at her username.

Says a lot, doesn't it?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
26.12.2010 - 16:11
RavenKing

Written by vezzy on 26.12.2010 at 15:47

Written by RavenKing on 26.12.2010 at 15:41

Look at her username.

Says a lot, doesn't it?

I asked her if her username was a hint at her personality and got this bunch of insults in return.
Now, I guess I know that the username fits her. lol

Anyway, as if it's a matter of close-mindedness as to why some people believe an album sucks. If we think it sucks, it's simply because the music sucks from our point of view. Get over it (not you, her).
You can like the album, I don't mind, but try to accept that some (in TCOM's case, lots of) people dislike the album and think it sucks.
----
26.12.2010 - 16:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I have very broad metal tastes, and I think TCOM is overall, a very dull and uninteresting album. And Im a huge Iced Earth fan who even loved a lot of the much maligned Ripper Owens' era material. With a name like "Skankbitch" Id be astonished if that isnt a troll account anyways.
04.02.2014 - 09:59
MidnightRitual

No troll account, just a nickname, three years later I see that the hate continued without me lol! Wow! Maybe this is why you discuss music online vs in person, face to face, with friends... you have such a shitty attitude nobody wants that around. Weaker albums or not, useless opinions or not, yall need to open your minds in general. This is disappointing as far as metalheads go, to insult someone not insulting you, judge and spread uneducated hate. Lol!

Hits total: 5811 | This month: 4