Metal Storm logo
Bands you like, but are ashamed of it

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 25.08.2006 - 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.
11.09.2008 - 07:34
dasyatidae
i know i shouldn't... but i really like H.I.M.

yeah... i know

xD
----
Sorry for my bad english.
13.09.2008 - 00:17
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Black Mass on 11.09.2008 at 01:12

Bon Jovi

what's wrong with liking bon jovi? I enjoy listening to their music from time to time.

Why be ashamed of liking them? I don't get it...
13.09.2008 - 06:25
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
michael jackson HES HARDCORE
13.09.2008 - 10:28
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.09.2008 at 08:26

Written by Guest on 13.09.2008 at 00:17

Bon Jovi

what's wrong with liking bon jovi? I enjoy listening to their music from time to time.

Oh god, BARRRFFF!!! Gross, how can you guys like that crap??????!!! EWWW!

.............hehehehehe. Just messin' with you. I think he sucks, but I don't feel that strongly. I know lots o' metalheads who do though.

This may be a metal music site but nevertheless you're in the "General music" part of the forum; so if you or anyone want to express disliking of a certain band (Bon Jovi in our case) there are still more decent ways to do it. There are some BJ songs that i totally dislike but i don't shout it out loud, I just ignore those songs and skip to the one i enjoy and everything is just great. Get it?
13.09.2008 - 15:35
Black Mass
Written by Guest on 13.09.2008 at 08:26

Written by Guest on 13.09.2008 at 00:17

Bon Jovi

Oh god, BARRRFFF!!! Gross, how can you guys like that crap??????!!! EWWW!

.............hehehehehe. Just messin' with you. I think he sucks, but I don't feel that strongly. I know lots o' metalheads who do though.

Just enjoy a bit of cheesy karaoke belting out Livin' on a Prayer or You Give Love A Bad Name...hehee
13.09.2008 - 19:29
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.09.2008 at 10:47

Written by Guest on 13.09.2008 at 10:28

This may be a metal music site but nevertheless you're in the "General music" part of the forum; so if you or anyone want to express disliking of a certain band (Bon Jovi in our case) there are still more decent ways to do it. There are some BJ songs that i totally dislike but i don't shout it out loud, I just ignore those songs and skip to the one i enjoy and everything is just great. Get it?

Hah, yes, but I don't think you understood my post. It's ok, though, I was lightly insinuating, so I wasn't very clear. Your peers will always think something you like really sucks and that causes one to sort of fear the act of expressing an affinity for that thing in public. But people are braving the fear and expressing what they like here. So now they are shamed for liking something that a bunch of people on a metal site would typically think is terrible by admitting it to these fellow metalheads.

I was just replying to when you asked why would people be ashamed.

What you said makes sense; this topic is a little bit pretentious and snobbish (no offense) anyway - I for one have never been ashamed with the music i enjoy listening to.
17.09.2008 - 08:27
Oracle
Orcinus
@Trollhorn: Well i am finding it hard to believe but no one should care about what you listen to because its your business. I wont think any less of you no
18.09.2008 - 00:50
Oracle
Orcinus
Written by Guest on 17.09.2008 at 08:58

I can understand that and thanks for not judging me where so many others have before wait till you actually meet me in person then you will really laugh eh

Well i care more about how people treat me and how i treat them, Not what people listen to or dress like.
I'm not going to laugh when i meet you for the first time lol.
20.09.2008 - 15:01
Varegan
Hamranakara
the band that i like but I'm extremely ashamed of is the Lord of gay rock "PLACEBO"
(this post is a joke, don't take it serious)
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
20.09.2008 - 23:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Gorthrim: Well, their song Pure Morning is the only one I ever heard from them...it's not that bad...
27.09.2008 - 02:41
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.09.2008 at 23:43

@Gorthrim: Well, their song Pure Morning is the only one I ever heard from them...it's not that bad...

actually Placebo is a pretty decent band, there are far worse bands then them.
24.10.2008 - 03:04
mortjoyeux
I LUV AQUA AND TEGAN AND SARA.
Then again I wouldn't exactly say I'm ashamed to say it.
24.10.2008 - 03:15
DevilBabi
Hhhmm.
Well, just quietly.
i'm really gettnig in to the new Britney song womaniser.
I really like the dance feel to it. But I am a techno hed slightly.
I cant stand MIley Cyrus though.
I like Lady Gaga too.
And the pussy cat dolls new song. I hate this part right here.
24.10.2008 - 06:54
Dark Blood
The Avenger
When I was a kid, I liked Spice Girls.............. I won't comment.
Gladly today there's no band I'm ashamed of. Everything I hear now is with pride
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
25.10.2008 - 06:15
CartoonJunkie
Account deleted
I like My Chemical Romance. I even went to one of their shows. I know everyone seems to hate them, but I still like their music.
25.10.2008 - 06:20
kkktookmybaby
Written by Guest on 25.10.2008 at 06:15

I like My Chemical Romance. I even went to one of their shows. I know everyone seems to hate them, but I still like their music.

i used to like them too but eventually their stuff gets burned with popularity and listening to them alot jajaja but that was like a year ago jajaja im ashamed i ever did like them jajaja. also i like marilyn manson but im not ashamed
25.10.2008 - 06:39
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat

Placebo is a really good band, IMO. I'm not ashamed of liking it at all...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
25.10.2008 - 19:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 25.10.2008 at 06:39

Placebo is a really good band, IMO. I'm not ashamed of liking it at all...

i'm cool with their music(also one song from their first album sounds pretty fucking heavy, my sister used to listen to them) but sometimes their vocalist sounds like he's being raped and his transvestite image creeps me out
25.11.2008 - 18:55
No one would think, but I listen to the new Britney Spears stuff. It's pretty catchy, but I can't walk around places with it blaring.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
02.12.2008 - 04:30
Also to add, I don't mind popping in Young Jeezy's Recession cd from time to time.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
02.12.2008 - 05:44
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Kid Rock. namely the song "Cowboy". that and i think Kid Rock is hilarious as a person as well.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
03.12.2008 - 13:04
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
I recently developed a lot of respect for Take That because they've proved that they are one of the only, if not the only, boy/girlbands with actual talent (they all play instruments, write all the music and lyrics and they can ALL sing). That is of course not counting Robbie because he's cack and Barlow kicks his arse.
20.01.2009 - 12:43
Kasper
Hmm.. The Proclaimers, especially "500 Miles" - long history why it's this song I like the most.

It's definitely not what people would expect me to listen to, and maybe that's why I'm kinda "ashamed" of it, as I've have quite some reputation among my friends to listen only to metal.. Kinda annoying sometimes actually ;-p
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
21.01.2009 - 21:10
Trial By Fire
Account deleted
I enjoy the Funeral for a Friend album "Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation" *ducks and runs*
21.01.2009 - 23:20
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Guest on 21.01.2009 at 21:10

I enjoy the Funeral for a Friend album "Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation" *ducks and runs*

Ah, that is a very good album, they are not bad as a band
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
22.01.2009 - 14:23
Kanto
Placebo rulz! (for the people above) Brian Molko has a really good voice
Ehm...is not a band, but an artist: Eminem
----
...Dude.
20.02.2009 - 06:58
munson
Written by Guest on 13.09.2008 at 06:25

Seriously, MJ might be all sorts of fucked in the head, but he made some seriously good jams back in the day.

Also, my embarassing gem:
3 Doors Down (I know, I know)
24.02.2009 - 01:56
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by munson on 20.02.2009 at 06:58

Seriously, MJ might be all sorts of fucked in the head, but he made some seriously good jams back in the day.

I like 3 Doors Down's debut album but only this one. Not ashamed of it though.
24.02.2009 - 04:39
munson
Written by Guest on 24.02.2009 at 01:56

Written by munson on 20.02.2009 at 06:58

I really only know/like the first two. I can't say much about the others. They are actually better than a lot of people give them credit for.

I like 3 Doors Down's debut album but only this one. Not ashamed of it though.
25.02.2009 - 01:56
Hamird
Lieutenant
I like t.A.T.u ... I'm not ashamed of liking them, but I prefer to listen it when I'm alone, with a earphone so that no one can find out that I'm enjoying t.A.T.u 's music .. I really like their Dangerous And Moving..