Metal Storm logo
Bands you like, but are ashamed of it

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 25.08.2006 - 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.
27.08.2006 - 01:32
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I'm never really ashamed that I like a certain band, but I do have my guilty pleasures. One guilty pleasure that I shall list is The Dillinger Escape Plan. Their strange melodies and odd sound is what draws me to their music. The songs are so complex that they help me think when I do my homework! (I still don't know how this phenomenon is achieved.) The reason why liking these guys is a guilty pleasure for me is that many metalheads consider them more along the lines of metalcore than of metal. (I actually think The Dillinger Escape Plan is experimental grindcore.) On other metal forums, I would have my arse chewed if I said I liked them, but considering the people of Metal Storm are a very friendly bunch, I think I feel pretty comfortable saying that I like them on here.
27.08.2006 - 01:40
tuerda
I would argue that guilty pleasures are pleasures you feel guilty about. It has nothing to do with how good or bad a band is. It has to do with you liking them, and not being terribly proud of the fact.

I guess that everyone who says they don't feel ashamed of any of the music they listen to have never seen any discrepancy between how much they like a piece of music and how good they think it is? That is pretty surprising. I hear an awful lot of the other end here on metalstorm. People saying things like "This band has good musicianship and good songs, but I just don't like them. I don't know why."

Another example I didn't mention above is Amon Amarth, which is admitedly quite a good band, and quite worthy of being liked, but I like them much more than I really should. I just can't get enough of them, and I can find no reason why I like them so much.

Glad to see so many replies, even if most of them are insulting me.
27.08.2006 - 02:22
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I have a lot of these stupid emo kids at my school that tell me that every power metal band out there is crap and that it's cheesy...yeah, and like emo isnt right...
27.08.2006 - 05:46
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
Midnight Oil... They are so cheezy, but so good. Peter Garrett is just so... Gay on their video clips...

Also i like Rammstein... Its hard to hate a band that introduced me to metal... and to this day every song theyve recorded is good

... I think i gonna just go hit my head some more, im so braindamaged already
27.08.2006 - 06:33
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by DIE_by_my_HAND on 26.08.2006 at 23:39

My point is that you are getting worked up for a stupid reason,,, there are metal bands that you are probably ashamed of liking too. Am I right?

Oh , but that is So personal opinion . Isnt ??

Liking a band and liking an artist is too different thing ... and if you hate the band only becoz of members without knowing how great musician he is , then i rest my case.

Time for some stick of nicotine.
28.08.2006 - 23:19
DIE_by_my_HAND
Written by Hembrom on 27.08.2006 at 06:33

Written by DIE_by_my_HAND on 26.08.2006 at 23:39

My point is that you are getting worked up for a stupid reason,,, there are metal bands that you are probably ashamed of liking too. Am I right?

Oh , but that is So personal opinion . Isnt ??

Liking a band and liking an artist is too different thing ... and if you hate the band only becoz of members without knowing how great musician he is , then i rest my case.

Time for some stick of nicotine.

Alright I see what you are saying and I think we should give this bickering a break ... BUT it's not necessarily what the artist stands for, but what the lyrical content is ie. satanism. And maybe the guy isn't into that stuff, and neither am I, but I still listen to it, I wouldn't say I'm ashamed of it though, I just don't pay any attention to the lyrics...

ANY WAY... let's put that to rest... truce case closed
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend
01.09.2006 - 14:17
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
I'd have to say i don't mind The Darkness, except for their single release "I believe in thing called love"...
01.09.2006 - 21:25
marinBG
the direct answer for this question is NONE!
I'm not ashamed of nothing I like... I can list a bunch of bands that acording to some people I should be ashamed to like but I'm not and I think this whole outlook on things is crap...
so what do I like - SlipKnot (oh, how untrue, but still heavier and more agressive than a whole lot of troo bands ), Lordi, HIM, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit... I think that's basicly it
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
01.09.2006 - 21:30
Endoftherainbow
Alright there's no bands that I'm ashamed of listnening to but there's some bands people tell me that I shouldn't listen to like Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon, System of a Down, and Killswitch Engage but I don't care about that I listen to what I want to. As for being ashamed of the lyrical content of bands never because I don't have to share the same views as them to appreciate the music.
02.09.2006 - 01:59
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.09.2006 at 14:17

I'd have to say i don't mind The Darkness, except for their single release "I believe in thing called love"...

oh yes The Darkness! lol but i wouldn't call that a guilty pleasure, they're the most ummm 'metal' rock band that's out there today
02.09.2006 - 02:56
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.09.2006 at 01:59

Written by Guest on 01.09.2006 at 14:17

oh yes The Darkness! lol but i wouldn't call that a guilty pleasure, they're the most ummm 'metal' rock band that's out there today

I sitll like them, regardless of whether they're popularised by the media, but thanks anyway danzig..:D
03.09.2006 - 03:14
Daru Jericho
Like others have said in this thread, I am not ashamed of the music I listen to. I don't see any reason to be. But there are metal bands that if you like, some people might look down on you. Such bands that appeal to me are: Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir and Nightwish.

Also, as I listen to more than just metal, there are bands that I like and people say to me "Wow, I didn't expect you to like them." Such bands include some metalcore/hardcore such as Atreyu, Poison The Well, On Broken Wings, Converge etc. There's nothing wrong with having an open mind.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

03.09.2006 - 18:30
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I'm also ashamed of liking journey and foreigner.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
03.09.2006 - 20:00
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Sould I feel ashamed of listening to Korn?? I don't think so... they coercialized too much since Follow The Leader, bt their first self-titled album is a lesson in agression, a masterpiece.
03.09.2006 - 22:22
Sunioj
I dont know where to start, well, in front of all my hard rock and hardcore friends anything sounds funny! But in general I dont care unless its sonata artica, nightwish or sentenced.

@Daru Jericho,
Dude, theres nothing wrong with listening to Poison the well, theyre great!
04.09.2006 - 02:49
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The only band I'm kinda ashamed of liking is Tsunami Bomb...well I like one of their cd's, The Ultimate Escape. I really the guitars, but I still feel like a little bitch everytime I listen to it lol.
04.09.2006 - 03:57
Raiden
Down Under Staff
elite
I don't think anyone should be really ashamed of anything they listen to. Unless they're listening to HIM Haha, no, seriously though, if you like a band then you should listen to them regardless of what people say about them, etc. Maybe this thread show be more like "bands that most people don't seem to like but you do" or something rather than "bands that you're ashamed of listening to".
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
04.09.2006 - 09:17
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I'm not all that ashamed but in the self-proclaimed "hardcore" metal fan base, ie: black metal, death metal, and hell even the gothic subculture it is frowned upon to like Marilyn Manson. I enjoy his work, primarily Anti-Christ Svperstar and a variety of songs off Golden Age Of Grotesque, and I won't deny A Portrait Of An American family either.. but Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood, well those albums weren't so good.
04.09.2006 - 10:53
in a sad state
Account deleted
i like a simon and garfunkle song...
"sound of silence"
shoot me
04.09.2006 - 19:10
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I like these and some of my friends look down on me but they are really good

Boney M
Abba
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
04.09.2006 - 20:27
Icewings
La Luna
Well , I'm not ashamed of the thing I love ...it just different and if someone looks down on me is ok is their opinion , but I love music in general ...and well I respect everyone's opinion so I expect everyone to respect my taste ..yeah I liek Abba too and I like a lot of the bands mention but I'm not ashamed and yeah I don't care saying that I like them ... humm I udnerstand what you guys mean , because it happen before but now I don't care what people say or think ...I love music I really do , and each artist is expressing a feeling and feelings are wonderful ....
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
04.09.2006 - 23:52
Dali
Account deleted
Disturbed
Prince
The Goo Goo Dolls
Evanescence
Nightwish
Lacuna Coil

I have to say that despite the fact I like these bands, I'm definately ashamed at times but I'd never deny it. Music isn't who you are, it's something to be enjoyed. If I enjoy bands that aren't "true" metal than that doesn't change who I am or how people should regard me.
05.09.2006 - 01:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
none.

my mid-30's married and professional friends know I listen to 'angry scandanavian viking' music, and I have made no bones on this forum of stating repeatedly that The Cure's "Disintegration" is my favorite album ever, across any genre.

i like what i like and i don't particularly care if anyone else approves or disapproves of my horrible tastes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.09.2006 - 02:39
heresiarch
Forever Dead
This band is very good , Finnish girlie pop band TIK TAK and I'm somewhat embarrased to say that I love these girls , they are very good
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

05.09.2006 - 22:09
Destryphior
ooooww.. how's about Teräsbetoni, the most gay epic and pathetic band ever... and I like 'em... Making all their videos at the same place, singin songs about war with swords and battle with a very high pitched voice, god I love 'em
06.09.2006 - 03:06
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Bananarama when I was teenager in the 80s I actually liked this band
----

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

06.09.2006 - 05:34
Nickwillnotbe
I'm not really ashamed of any thing I listen to. I openly admit that I like many metalcore/hardcore bands (Between the Buried and Me, Zao, Heaven Shall Burn, The Fall of Troy, Underoath, etc.) as well as a large amount of Post Rock and Electronica bands (Beyond Dawn, Boards of Canada, Explosions in the Sky, Mono, Mogwai, Mum, Sigur Ros). I still consider myself a metal head because the majority of the music I enjoy is undeniably metal but I love other things as well.
06.09.2006 - 18:01
Sunioj
Ahh, I just forgot, I like blindside as well.
07.09.2006 - 02:54
Deus Ex Machina
I'm not ashamed of anything i like.
If i like something i'll just say it out loud whether it be death metal or pop.
It's pretty strange for me to hear someone talking about "guilty pleasures".
If you like it-hey,go for it.If someone thinks it's funny you like some random 80's pop whatever,you have a good laugh and mooooove the hell ooooooon
07.09.2006 - 09:24
?Bodomchild?
Well im not ashamed but a lot of my friends says that im crazy cuz i heard a lot Pennywise and Ska-P ....well yes they aren't a metal bands but Pennywise is a great band, i have only one album its call Full Circle and its amazing the speed of that band...especeally the drummer, also the lyrics (some of them) are great and Ska-P well the name say is its a ska band from Spain and they are really great and i like it a lot.....that are the non-metal bands ho im supossed to be ashamed but im really not......cuz if i heard some Slipknot that will be a shame

So there's no a metal band ho makes me ashamed to listen it...i wouldn't listen any si¡ong of it
----
asd