Metal Storm logo
Bands you like, but are ashamed of it

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 25.08.2006 - 05:26
So yeah, I'm sure this happens to a lot of people. There is some band that you shouldn't like. There is something wrong with it. You might even think that it's bad . . . But you love it! You nod along to the music and can't help but sing along if you know the lyrics. You love it, and you hate the fact that you love it. So yeah, does this happen to anyone else, and if so, with what bands?

For me, the most obvious one is Rhapsody. They are really really cheesy, and all of their songs sound more or less the same to me. I feel it is all charged with vacuous optimism, and the lyrics are terrible. But yes, I like them. Please don't tell anyone.

Also, I like Bal Sagoth. They are pretty much the cheesiest band on earth, and it is precisely the cheesiness that makes me love them so. The "dark" vocals are anything but creepy and all of the "symphonics" sound fake. It's so bad that it's good!

There are some Emperor songs that I like. I have moral issues with liking Emperor. The black metal act is sometimes interesting, and often funny as hell. I approve of it . . . but only so long as it is an act. Church burning is not cool. Neither is killing people.
27.01.2007 - 08:16
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Vinnie R. on 27.01.2007 at 03:53

Iron Maiden!!! oops!!! i mean Kings Of Leon, but only one song haha

And what song would that be?
27.01.2007 - 14:00
Keoren
Account deleted
I like some songs by Celine Dion. I'm not ashamed of it though.
28.01.2007 - 04:05
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
California waiting from the first album, i remember good things with that song.
28.01.2007 - 15:36
Philaenas
Account deleted
I dunno, but I seem to like "Unbreak My Heart" from Toni Braxton. Now that is quite odd. :p
29.01.2007 - 02:40
Amber
Account deleted
haha... reo speedwagon.
i love them and don't know why.
04.02.2007 - 00:50
APOHAKC
The Bard
When I was younger I had Nightwish period, not for long maybe three mounths but I don't want to hear nothing from them in my whole life.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
06.02.2007 - 09:47
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
I wanted to add something more about cradle of filth (yes, the band is even more worthless than filth for me, explanations at CoF thread); I'd posted previously here that I'm ashamed to like this band , well, I wanted to add that I'm ashamed of myself(to say I like this band).
----
that which shines without names and forms...
10.02.2007 - 04:06
APOHAKC
The Bard
I still like Cradle Of Filth and it is amongs m best favorites bands and I am sick of people spiting on them all the time, Dani is artist and no one can't say nothing against, he is good musician, I admit Thornograpgy is not the best release but even he can't make all the albums good. This guys are responsible for million bands we all like and they have done much, very much for metal in generally. But it is your opinion and I respect it, I don't even now why I wrote all of this
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
14.02.2007 - 08:15
TheRealThing
Account deleted
Trivium. It's almost blasphemous to even say their name around this site. I dig the Crusade alot though. Great album.

I'll second Cradle of Filth as well, however, I'm still pissed off they put on a shitty show when I went and saw them a few days ago.
14.02.2007 - 09:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 14.02.2007 at 08:15

Trivium. It's almost blasphemous to even say their name around this site. I dig the Crusade alot though. Great album.

Apparently it is now the flavour of the month to hate Trivium. Even by people who claim they like thrash. Why? Probably because of the way they look and present themselves. But listening to the Crusade objectively one has to admit that what they play is quite good. Not groundbreakingly innovative, but good nonetheless. Thrash metal played by proficient musicians.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.02.2007 - 10:24
Warman
Erotic Stains
I do not HATE Trivium, in fact I enjoyed seeing them live. The thing is that I'm ashamed of not hating Trivium because of their reputation here at MS.
----
15.02.2007 - 02:35
TheRealThing
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.02.2007 at 09:30

Apparently it is now the flavour of the month to hate Trivium. Even by people who claim they like thrash. Why? Probably because of the way they look and present themselves. But listening to the Crusade objectively one has to admit that what they play is quite good. Not groundbreakingly innovative, but good nonetheless. Thrash metal played by proficient musicians.

Thank you. I thought I was the only one who considered The Crusade as thrash metal. I've tried explaining this to multiple people, but I usually just get pissed on for it. You are right as well, not extremely innovative, but great music none the less. Also, it boggles my mind that there are people out there who prefer their old shit (I've discovered this from last.fm), and to me, thats like comparing say...Atreyu to Testament. In other words, blasphemy.
18.02.2007 - 20:39
piggy
Account deleted
Coheed and Cambria.
18.02.2007 - 23:08
darksun

Marilyn manson.He has a great artistic way but i know if he cleans his make up,no one listens to him.As well to me he is among the most successful cover singers.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
19.02.2007 - 02:32
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.02.2007 at 09:30

I don't give a shit how they look. I can't stand their predictable sound structures, the annoying poppy choruses, and the horrible vocals. They're also cocky as hell, but a lot of musicians are...
22.02.2007 - 06:05
Asat0r

I thoroughly like the Crusade, I don't see any problems with it.

My guilty pleasures would involve a lot of nu metal. That's what I started on, and occasionally I slip back to it. Bands like Linkin Park, Slipknot, System of a Down, and Disturbed.
03.03.2007 - 08:46
FOOCK Nam

I hate to metalcore but gradually I think I can get used to with it. In my past when I was new comer to Rock/Metal, like others I showed the dislike/anti to Linkin Park, but I must admit that I really like the song In The End of them, only for that song. Though Im not much of ashamed
03.03.2007 - 14:07
SirenOfTheStyx
Account deleted
Written by darksun on 18.02.2007 at 23:08

Marilyn manson.He has a great artistic way but i know if he cleans his make up,no one listens to him.As well to me he is among the most successful cover singers.

Quite true I like Marilyn Manson too, especially Mechanical animals, but I'm not ashamed of it ^^ (ok, I don't say it too loud either, I like to feel tr00 )
Maybe I'm a bit ashamed of loving Mylène Farmer... or ashamed to write it on MS French people know her, for the others : it's an extremely famous French singer who sings pop with complicated and pretentious lyrics about life despair love and death. (It's like she's taking the dictionnary, picking up the most complicated words and knitting them together in a way that can be viewed as extremely deep and philosophical, or utterly ridiculous. Most people take the second solution. Still, I like her world.)
04.03.2007 - 16:28
marillionfan
Account deleted
The title of the topic sounds a bit snobbish, sorry. How can anyone be ashamed of the music they enjoy?! I've never been and I'll never be. I listen to some pop bands - A-ha (amazing group if you ask me), Alphaville, Depeche Mode (not that pop but categorised like that), ABBA, Duran Duran.Mike & the Mechanics (pop-rock actually). I also enjoy many melodic hard rock bands such as Toto, Foreigner, Journey, Boston, Asia, Bon Jovi, Europe, Night Ranger.

I'll be back with some more bands I'm not ashamed to say i love.
04.03.2007 - 19:52
W-Lash
Metal Master
marillionfan, oldschool pop is quite ok. It can be listenable (what can't i say about modern pop). And rock - that's good!
If you are in MS that doesn't mean you can't listen anything less heavy than power metal.
04.03.2007 - 21:26
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by W-Lash on 04.03.2007 at 19:52

marillionfan, oldschool pop is quite ok. It can be listenable (what can't i say about modern pop). And rock - that's good!
If you are in MS that doesn't mean you can't listen anything less heavy than power metal.

i agree to what you're saying; yet the topic seems pretentious to me, therefore my reaction. Anyway classic pop or melodic hard rock are not everybody's cup of tea.;D
05.03.2007 - 02:13
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Guest on 04.03.2007 at 21:26

Written by W-Lash on 04.03.2007 at 19:52

i agree to what you're saying; yet the topic seems pretentious to me, therefore my reaction. Anyway classic pop or melodic hard rock are not everybody's cup of tea.;D

I agree as well, I like 80s Pop, I grew uplitening to all the 80s radio hits, from A-ha to Poison, metallica, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, I think it's really nice to listen.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
15.03.2007 - 00:02
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.01.2007 at 15:36

I dunno, but I seem to like "Unbreak My Heart" from Toni Braxton. Now that is quite odd. :p
Her father is one of the substitute teachers at my school. Seriously. lol
19.03.2007 - 20:21
Danny Thomas

haha ive notcied this. i wasnt a fan of their first 2 albums because of that annoying, every other band uses it, metalcore style vocals. but with new vocals i actually love the crusade.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
21.03.2007 - 06:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 27.01.2007 at 14:00

Thats nothing to really be ashamed of at all, Celine Dion is possibly one of the 10 most skilled vocalists on the planet, im definitly not into her music at all but shes got alot of skill.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.03.2007 - 12:33
Hyvaarin

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I dig a few Panic! At the Disco songs. They're annoying and whiny, but they're still fun and really catchy.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
21.03.2007 - 17:42
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Guest on 27.01.2007 at 14:00

Same with me, but I do feel a bit ashamed about it
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
21.03.2007 - 21:33
DeathMuffin

I like T.R.I.C. by Otep. I'm sorry. But I do enjoy that song.
22.03.2007 - 00:48
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I actually enjoy Megadeths 'Risk' alot, it seems thats an album that everyone is supposed to hate but I cant quite figure out why.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.03.2007 - 05:41
FTW
Account deleted
Well these days Metallica is a dirty word especially on Metal forums but Im not ashamed for saying that their my favourite band as for guilty pleasures maybe a few 50 cent songs here and there, elton john sometimes i dunno.