09. Regain The Fire
10. One For Sorrow
11. Weather The Storm [Special Edition bonus] [Japanese bonus]
12. Beyond The Horizon [Japanese bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2011: 8

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
If I were to ask you what makes a great Metal band, the answer should be pretty much the same across the board: great albums. In truth, a series of great albums that follow the same structure yet manage to be different enough to be individual works while being similar enough to create a unique trademark sound. Do you see now how fine of a margin bands have to operate? Finland's Insomnium have established themselves as a juggernaut of Gothenburg Metal with a trilogy of sublime releases 2002's In The Halls Of Awaiting, 2004's Since The Day It All Came Down & 2006's Above The Weeping World. Then they managed to cleverly modernize their sound with 2009's Across The Dark. With a growing fan base and so many solid works behind them, their new release One For Sorrow has been one of the most anticipated albums of the year, and for good reasons.

Read more ››
published 01.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Risto
Rating:
One For Sorrow: the old children's nursery rhyme about counting up to ten birds in a tree. Makes sense for an Insomnium album to be inspired by it; after all, they've had these birds flying around in their album art for a while. Their fifth full-length respectively adapts to the rhyme with ten tracks of fairly varied Gothenburg metal in that trademark Insomnium sound.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2011 | Comments (4)

Found in 87 lists
Top lists

Comments page 7 / 8

Comments: 223   Visited by: 2151 users
05.12.2011 - 05:43
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.12.2011 at 20:13

... I keep thinking it's an OK melodeath album, yet probably one of the most conformist and "normal" of this year; no wonder it's so appreciated and hyped.
so what's a more abnormal melodeath album of this year? I'm struggling to find one tbh )= Normal or not, only The Project Hate, Novembers Doom, this one and perhaps Black Sun Aeon have some replay value, for me at least. I still have yet to check out The Fallen Divine though, but feel free to suggest more to me.
----
loves 小巫
05.12.2011 - 05:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ag Fox on 05.12.2011 at 05:43
so what's a more abnormal melodeath album of this year?

Have you tried Sylosis yet? You might like Arkan or Arafel as well since they incorporate folk elements.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.12.2011 - 05:58
MetalSpider
I never thought I would rate an Insomnium album lower than 9...but I have. It's a great album but I've already lost interest in it. I would listen to Across the Dark and Above the Weeping World quite a lot...especially when they were first released. But One For Sorrow, I listened to it for about a week or 2 and than just moved onto something else, only revisiting a song or 2.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
05.12.2011 - 06:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by MetalSpider on 05.12.2011 at 05:58
I never thought I would rate an Insomnium album lower than 9...but I have. It's a great album but I've already lost interest in it. I would listen to Across the Dark and Above the Weeping World quite a lot...especially when they were first released. But One For Sorrow, I listened to it for about a week or 2 and than just moved onto something else, only revisiting a song or 2.

My thoughts exactly. I was like woo new Insomnium album, and then I listened to it and I was like woo new Insomnium album, and then after a week it was like... woo other music to listen to.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.12.2011 - 13:29
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.12.2011 at 05:55

Written by Ag Fox on 05.12.2011 at 05:43
so what's a more abnormal melodeath album of this year?

Have you tried Sylosis yet? You might like Arkan or Arafel as well since they incorporate folk elements.
i thought Sylosis is more Thrash. And looking at the album length, it's just repelling lol
I did try Arkan, and as I have mentioned elsewhere in the forums, it felt like a folk album to me, and I don't really like folk that much lol
Since I also found Suidakra pretty meh, I won't bother with Arafel =P
----
loves 小巫
05.12.2011 - 19:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ag Fox on 05.12.2011 at 13:29
and I don't really like folk that much lol

Bad suggestions are bad then. For some reason I always thought you liked folk. :s
----
05.12.2011 - 19:44
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.12.2011 at 19:41

For some reason I always thought you liked folk. :s
uhm... how? does it have to do with my Arven review? lol
----
loves 小巫
05.12.2011 - 19:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ag Fox on 05.12.2011 at 19:44

No I just always thought of you in the same crowd as Lyr when it comes to (nobody hate on me for saying this) non-extreme metal like folk, prog, and heavy metal. Looking at your list of 2011 there's actually a lot more extreme stuff than I thought there'd be.
----
05.12.2011 - 19:51
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.12.2011 at 19:46

Written by Ag Fox on 05.12.2011 at 19:44

No I just always thought of you in the same crowd as Lyr when it comes to (nobody hate on me for saying this) non-extreme metal like folk, prog, and heavy metal. Looking at your list of 2011 there's actually a lot more extreme stuff than I thought there'd be.
I do agree with Lyr a lot when it comes to power and prog. But other than my first ever folk experience of Eluveitie's Slania which sounded so good because it was fresh, everything else I have tried later (including that period) sounded very meh to me. I guess my taste is pseudo-extreme? o.o
----
loves 小巫
05.12.2011 - 19:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ag Fox on 05.12.2011 at 19:51
I guess my taste is pseudo-extreme? o.o

That works. Although regardless of your tastes, I don't think there's any good melodeath I can recommend this year. I thought this album was the best of the bunch but it definitely didn't live up to my expectations.
----
05.12.2011 - 20:04
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.12.2011 at 19:53

I don't think there's any good melodeath I can recommend this year. I thought this album was the best of the bunch but it definitely didn't live up to my expectations.
hope something hits me before the end of the year

EDIT: I meant some nice melodeath release *touchwood* >.>
----
loves 小巫
10.12.2011 - 18:00
pisymbol
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.12.2011 at 06:16

Written by MetalSpider on 05.12.2011 at 05:58

My thoughts exactly. I was like woo new Insomnium album, and then I listened to it and I was like woo new Insomnium album, and then after a week it was like... woo other music to listen to.

Same here. Its a good not great release for Insomnium. The time I got my Casket (sue me, it supports the band), I had already listened to the album streaming (legally) online and moved on. Bummer.

With that said, I hear rumors they are going to finally do a US headlining tour in 2012 and that is exciting.
17.12.2011 - 20:57
Rating: 10
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
What a wonderful piece of art.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
23.12.2011 - 08:07
Rating: 9
Kuroboshi
The next best one after AtWW, in my opinion. Finally the cleans sound okay. I'm not here innovation, and these guys are masters at what they do, just like DT were for many years.

I guess many people would have complained at In Flames if they stuck to their formula as well. :p Not that I like newer In Flames. Anyhow, I felt this album had a lot of drive. Candy for the ears!
23.12.2011 - 20:59
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I was expecting more from this album but that isn't the reason why it disappointed me. Some of the songs really lack in terms of "oomph". How can I put it? Some parts were "dead" and led to nowhere. The songs at the end of the album increase in quality though. But the other ones aren't as consistent and not as enjoyable.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it lacks more dynamism in the songs.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
23.12.2011 - 21:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 23.12.2011 at 20:59
I guess what I'm trying to said is that it lacks more dynamism in the songs.

Much agreed. I still enjoyed the sound but there wasn't really any impact within each song. The album works cohesively a lot better and when you look at it as a finished puzzle rather than the specific pieces, it has a more lasting effect. But it's not, as you said, dynamic by any means.
----
27.12.2011 - 02:15
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Kuroboshi on 23.12.2011 at 08:07

I guess many people would have complained at In Flames if they stuck to their formula as well. :p Not that I like newer In Flames. Anyhow, I felt this album had a lot of drive. Candy for the ears!

If Insomnium started playing some universally hated style like In F;ames, people would be all over the place "mourning the loss of a great band".
----
7.0 means the album is good
27.12.2011 - 02:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Milena on 27.12.2011 at 02:15

I aways found their period considered "the golden one" that is: from the debut to Clayam to contain albums that are different from each other, which can't be said about Insomnium. I still like Insomnium though.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2011 - 04:03
Kuroboshi
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.12.2011 at 02:43

Written by Milena on 27.12.2011 at 02:15

I aways found their period considered "the golden one" that is: from the debut to Clayam to contain albums that are different from each other, which can't be said about Insomnium. I still like Insomnium though.

I agree, however not including Clayman. Clayman sounds like a tired version of Colony to me. (I love some tracks on it though.) Also, I think it's unfair to say that all Insomnium's albums sound the same. StDIACD and AtD are perhaps stylistically the same, but at the same time they sound very different to the reast of their discography to my ears.
27.12.2011 - 04:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
How the hell did I end up quoting Mora here... weird.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2011 - 08:33
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.12.2011 at 04:06

How the hell did I end up quoting Mora here... weird.

Everyone quotes me
We can only wait and see what time and new generations of metalheads will make from Insomnium as they judge them from a distance I guess. Maybe after this Insomnium will deteriorate and people will refer to One For Sorrow as the last good album of theirs.

As for Clayman: I do find it a bit boring. Colony had much better tunes.
----
27.12.2011 - 13:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Milena on 27.12.2011 at 08:33
As for Clayman: I do find it a bit boring. Colony had much better tunes.

Clayman is very meh to me... it's just good... in a very vague way. I preffer Reroute To Remain and even Soundtrack To Your Escape over it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.12.2011 - 13:09
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.12.2011 at 13:08

Clayman is very meh to me... it's just good... in a very vague way. I preffer Reroute To Remain and even Soundtrack To Your Escape over it.

I haven't listened to a lot of newer In Flames myself, but it has been played to me, and it really IS a bit too light and "modern" for my tastes. And I do not like Friden's type of clean vocals. However, I assume there is some quality stuff in some of those albums.
----
29.12.2011 - 03:12
Rating: 6
Mountain King
K i K o
This is the number 1 album of 2011? Oh God. C'mon people. I would give it a 7...
31.12.2011 - 06:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
The top lists don't reflect my personal tastes.

Guess I should complain in an album thread.
----
14.01.2012 - 22:32
3rdWorld
China was a neat
There must b sumthin really shitty abt this. No offfense but i didnt get past half of through the shadows. Glad i always hav Hollenthon for some memorable melodeath stuff.
17.01.2012 - 17:42
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I listened to this album twice and found it really boring. It was the same impression as with the previous Insomnium albums. I guess, this band is just not for me...
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
29.02.2012 - 00:43
Rating: 6
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
At first listen i was underwhelmed but not exactly disapointed, i thought this album would "grow on me"

In reality the more time goes by the less this album hits my speakers and at this point ive almost completely given up on it. Its completely mediocre. its pure "formula" with not enough character to keep me interested.

Its from the insomnium factory instead of insomnium's heart.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
29.02.2012 - 07:10
Necrox
I can't get enough of Only One Who Waits, Decoherence, and the title track.
21.08.2012 - 03:28
Until the End
There's something about the production which just doesn't do anything for me. It sounds so flat. It's a shame as well because this is some of the best song writing they've done since 'Since the Day it All Came Down'. It would have got at least a 9 from me if not for the production.

Hits total: 56946 | This month: 82