01. Sacred Worlds [pre-production version]
02. Wheel Of Time [orchestral version]
03. You're The Voice [radio edit]
04. Tanelorn (Into The Void) [demo]
05. Curse My Name [demo]
06. A Voice In The Dark [demo]
+ Sacred Worlds [video]
+ A Journey To The Edge Of Time (Studio Documentary) [video]

The bards have come out of the forest. Yes, the Blind Guardians are back baby! And did they ever do it in style. Surely one of the year's most anticipated albums, At The Edge Of Time is sure to rank high on personal lists for a while.

Hit in the face with the 9+ minute long opening masterpiece "Sacred World", I had to replay it for half an hour before being able to continue on with the rest of the album. Majestic orchestral intro, grand entrance killer riffs, and vocals to die for. The first thought that went through my head at that exact time "This is already better than the entire previous album". Hell, this is Blind Guardian with a renewed energy and a hint of progressive influences I only dreamt about in the past.

I really don't want to go into a song by song review here but if I were to cover the highlights of this album, this is exactly were this would be heading right now. So, much to my chagrin, I will evoke some key moments such as the unusually complex and progressive structure of a tempo changing jewel of a track called "Road Of No Release", the more trademark yet surprising and catchy as hell "Ride Into Obsession", the new standard of bard ballad in "Curse My Name", the extremely fast-paced while mesmerizing "Voice In The Dark", and finally the usual killer operatic of an ending song with "Wheel Of Time".

The duo of guitarists André Olbrich / Marcus Siepen is cracking some of their most achieved work to date, and I am not referring to the solos alone. Between the orchestral arrangements and the newly found progressive musical direction, their hand in making this an incredible album is undeniable. Master vocalist Hansi Kürsch delivers once again an impressive body of work, using his many registers with seemingly disconcerting ease. Drummer Frederik Ehmke is clearly fully integrated now. As a matter of fact, I highly suspect he is a huge reason behind the more progressive sound on this album. The supporting cast, including the orchestra is equally of top-notch quality.

Artwork and production, you may ask? People, this is a Blind Guardian album. This statement should by itself should answer that. This is German savoir-faire at its paramount. The limited edition includes a second CD that features an orchestral version of "Wheel Of Time" that could have made the main album, demo versions of other tracks and a cool cover of John Farnham's "Your're The Voice". It is absolutely worth it.

So? Still reading this? I could not make myself clearer; At The Edge Of Time is up there with Blind Guardian's best efforts. The band managed to achieve this while adding innovative elements to their established sound. And the best part is that it is actually still growing on me after 4 weeks of intense listening sessions. I am off to adding this album to my 2012 survival gear.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 21.09.2010 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 86   Visited by: 721 users
21.09.2010 - 02:54
Rating: 10
WorpeX
Made of Metal
I agree completely with your review! Incredible album. It jumps light years ahead of their last effort (which was also pretty good) and landing just short of Nightfall and Imaginations.
21.09.2010 - 02:56
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Elite
Nightfall in middle earth was the last album i loved from these guys, a night at the opera was too prog for my anti-prog tastes, i didn't even know they released an album before this knew one. Yet still i read once again about progressive sound... well, it's progressive itself in terms as they inflicted it in their sound since opera or is it just that the band has progressed?! Should i check or should i go? I don't know whether i'll check it or not, all i know is that the bard's songs will remain and tomorrow will take us away far from home and no-one will ever know our names Yet, if this is a 2012 survival gear, i might give it a shot
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
21.09.2010 - 03:02
Lovecraft
Account deleted
That was a good review.

At The Edge Of Time is up there with Blind Guardian's best efforts.

Agreed.
21.09.2010 - 03:08
RavenKing
Written by KwonVerge on 21.09.2010 at 02:56

Nightfall in middle earth was the last album i loved from these guys, a night at the opera was too prog for my anti-prog tastes, i didn't even know they released an album before this knew one. Yet still i read once again about progressive sound... well, it's progressive itself in terms as they inflicted it in their sound since opera or is it just that the band has progressed?! Should i check or should i go? I don't know whether i'll check it or not, all i know is that the bard's songs will remain and tomorrow will take us away far from home and no-one will ever know our names Yet, if this is a 2012 survival gear, i might give it a shot

If you didn't like ANATO, you will probably dislike ATITM. Imo, it's probably the worst Blind Guardian album, though I've never been able to decide which album is really the worst between ATITM and NIME (yes, I absolutely dislike NIME).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
21.09.2010 - 03:24
Vikcen
Metálico
Nice review, and in my oppinion you have highlighted very well the great moments of this album, but i think that you forgot the song "Tanelorn (Into the void)"
21.09.2010 - 05:06
Rating: 9
Pazu
Good review, I definately agree on Sacred Worlds. It just might be BG's best song ever, since, in my opinion at least, it pretty much sums up the band in a nutshell. I personally wouldn't go as far as to call it a 9.3, but the album's still growing on me, too, so maybe I'll get there soon.^^
21.09.2010 - 05:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Vikcen on 21.09.2010 at 03:24

Nice review, and in my oppinion you have highlighted very well the great moments of this album, but i think that you forgot the song "Tanelorn (Into the void)"

Yep, "Tanelorn" is the old school faceripper. lol Id definitely have mentioned that one if Id reviewed the album...

The first time I heard it, I preffered it over ATITM, but it did take about 3 listens for me to fully absorb most of the songs. Its definitely one of the band's best albums.
21.09.2010 - 05:26
Really? I've only listened to it a couple of times but so far it sounds just as bad as Twist in the Myth. Maybe i need to check it out again...
21.09.2010 - 05:54
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by insanity.peppers on 21.09.2010 at 05:26

Really? I've only listened to it a couple of times but so far it sounds just as bad as Twist in the Myth. Maybe i need to check it out again...

As Twist in the Myth? I don't think, precisely this album sometimes sounds like NIME or ANATO, but at the same time sometimes sounds like A Twist in the Myth, and of course with new fresh staff.

Yes, give it a chance.
21.09.2010 - 10:11
Rating: 8
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I will still need more time to get fully into this piece...some songs i love, but some i haven't "understand" yet...or is there any option those songs can be "bad"?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.09.2010 - 11:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Ellrohir on 21.09.2010 at 10:11

I will still need more time to get fully into this piece...some songs i love, but some i haven't "understand" yet...or is there any option those songs can be "bad"?

Of course there is, to people who find them bad...
21.09.2010 - 11:50
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Great review! Definitely my favorite album since Nightfall in Middle-Earth. In a year of disappointments, Blind Guardian has given me something to live for. Long live the bards!
21.09.2010 - 14:35
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
I've just listened to the first song. Grandiose. And that comes from a guy who isn't into Blind Guardian or power metal at all.
21.09.2010 - 15:22
Costa
One of the best BG albums for sure!
21.09.2010 - 15:45
silenius
Fell completely inlove with it at the first listen^^ amazing album
21.09.2010 - 16:35
chinche
I agree with you.....the best album of 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!
21.09.2010 - 17:12
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Blind Guardian ,,, My only power metal crush ,, really great album and great review
21.09.2010 - 17:24
Rating: 7
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I'm not sure i'd rate it a 9.3, but definitely at least an 8, and I agree it is one of their best efforts. I first heard the song off the first single and thought meh, but then listened to the other songs and it blew me away!

For me, the best albums are Battalions of Fear, Imaginations from the Other Side, A Night at the Opera and now this one. I would add Nightfall in Middle Earth too, but i can't stand the layout of the album... let's face it, it's a MESS! Who actually listens to it through from start to finish? It's too dramatic and boring. The actual lengthy songs are all great however.
21.09.2010 - 17:29
Rating: 8
elseif
Very good album indeed
21.09.2010 - 18:16
Awesome album!!!

Now, that I've said the obvious, at first listening it sounded a bit 'strange' to me, because I had to get used to the new sound, but after 2-3 walkthroughs (or listenthroughs ), I got immediately hooked up with the album! My favourites are still Sacred Worlds, Tanelorn, 'nightfallish'' Control the Divine with its catchy chorus and Ride into Obsession...

They all represent new-style BG, but what got me into these songs is that IftoS and NiME atmosphere around them, which are by far the best albums in my opinion.

There is only one song that I simply can't stand to listen... It's the Wheel of Time

Many of you will disagree with me, I know, but there is so much folk and 'low-life' songs in my country that are 'inspired' with turkish and oriental melodies, that the first time (and second and third) I heard it, I just couldn't swallow it...

Thing that I'm talking about... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u3_OUtcPs4

It just reminds me of this cr*p!

All in all, the best album in 21st century, and I can't wait to see them again in Belgrade nest year!!

Hail to the Bards!!
21.09.2010 - 18:23
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Dark Cornatus on 21.09.2010 at 17:24

I'm not sure i'd rate it a 9.3, but definitely at least an 8, and I agree it is one of their best efforts. I first heard the song off the first single and thought meh, but then listened to the other songs and it blew me away!

For me, the best albums are Battalions of Fear, Imaginations from the Other Side, A Night at the Opera and now this one. I would add Nightfall in Middle Earth too, but i can't stand the layout of the album... let's face it, it's a MESS! Who actually listens to it through from start to finish? It's too dramatic and boring. The actual lengthy songs are all great however.

Actually I always listen to it from start to finish if I have the actual cd playing, but yes all those small irrelevant interludes can be annoying
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.09.2010 - 18:29
BlankFile
Blind Guardian is in great shape, and to prove that, they have launched a spectacular cd from begining to end! This band is unable to create bad albums, because they are competent, hard working and ambitious musicians and a really inspiring band in the genre. In my opinion "At the Edge of time" is one of the best albums of the band full of magic moments that will leave you stunned. I mean, all the songs in this album are fabulous, but for me the following are the best: "Sacred Worlds" "Tanelorn" "Road Of No Release" "Ride Into Obsession" "A Voice in the Dark" and "Wheel of Time". So To all Blind Guardian fans like me this album is a must! Stay Metal! \m/
21.09.2010 - 19:56
MeTalRea|istiK
Yeah!!!the bards has back!!this 1 of my fav bg album..but somewhere far beyond is still undefeated..
21.09.2010 - 22:19
Rating: 5
Aladin
Somehow, I find this album really boring
21.09.2010 - 23:17
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Dark Cornatus on 21.09.2010 at 17:24

I would add Nightfall in Middle Earth too, but i can't stand the layout of the album... let's face it, it's a MESS! Who actually listens to it through from start to finish? It's too dramatic and boring. The actual lengthy songs are all great however.

Don't like the concept? Fine, but there isn't a boring moment on NIME and the interludes are very well done and the voice acting is excellent. If you want over dramatic, listen to Rhapsody of Fire.
21.09.2010 - 23:42
Rating: 7
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I don't think this is as good a work as their best stuff like Imaginations or Nightfall but this is indeed a solid release(i've listened to it about 3 times or so). the only standout track in my opinion though is Tanelorn. Curse My Name is also good.
22.09.2010 - 00:25
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 21.09.2010 at 23:17

Don't like the concept? Fine, but there isn't a boring moment on NIME and the interludes are very well done and the voice acting is excellent.

Funny, how opinions differ. I find NIME an extremely boring album with barely any good moment. And those interludes are utterly pointless.
I've never been able to listen to this entire album without getting bored out of my mind.
----
22.09.2010 - 00:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Its very funny how opinions differ.

I dont find NIME either an extremely boring album, nor an album that has no boring moments in it. It is IMO one of their weakest albums, and less than half of the songs are great. There are some songs I really like on it, but overall, it is a bit boring and uninspired to my ears. lol
22.09.2010 - 02:12
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.09.2010 at 00:31

Its very funny how opinions differ.

I dont find NIME either an extremely boring album, nor an album that has no boring moments in it. It is IMO one of their weakest albums, and less than half of the songs are great. There are some songs I really like on it, but overall, it is a bit boring and uninspired to my ears. lol

But don't forget this Powermetal rule: "Everything Tolkien-related is awesome. You must praise it. No matter if you actually listen to it or not".
----
22.09.2010 - 02:18
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 22.09.2010 at 00:25

Funny, how opinions differ. I find NIME an extremely boring album with barely any good moment. And those interludes are utterly pointless.

Just one of those interludes is worth more than some other band's entire discography. It's not easy to make Morgoth and Sauron sound convincing, yet they did it. The effort that went into making the dialogue in War of Wrath sound good is greater then the effort that went into the entirety of Kamelot's new album.

Quote:

I've never been able to listen to this entire album without getting bored out of my mind.

That would describe every Opeth album I have ever had the great misfortune of listening to.

Hits total: 16130 | This month: 30