Style: Dark Ambient
Release date: October 1997

01. Dauði Baldrs
02. Hermoðr Á Helferð
03. Bálferð Baldrs
04. Í Heimr Heljar
05. Illa Tiðandi
06. Móti Ragnarokum

Dauði Baldrs is Burzum's first album after Varg Vikernes got arrested; and as such it is the first one that was written exclusively in prison. Because he had no access to any other instrument, Varg could only use a synthesizer to record this album. Additionally, it is said he recorded the whole album on a simple tape recorder in his cell.

The album itself is centered around the death of the norse god Baldr and his legacy. As the song titles suggest, it is focused on the concept of the coming of Ragnarök, the final battle before the destruction and rebirth of the world.

The sound of the album can be described pretty easily: it is nothing more than dark ambient music performed with a synthesizer. However, it manages to deliver an extremely dim and gloomy atmosphere, sinking the listener into a cold, black abyss. Very repetitive and sometimes quite minimalistic, Dauði Baldrs attemtps to hypnotize the listener with its black chords and frightening melodies. Dauði Baldrs breathes out despair and loss, but with a magnificent touch of epicness.

Speaking of minimalism, one track merely has two (!) different melodies playing for over 10 minutes. Nonetheless, don't think for a second that it is dull or boring, on the contrary, it has such a haunting feeling around it that you might think you are in limbo between life and death.

There are many reasons for getting this album. It is a huge change from the Count's earlier releases and it certainly reflects his thoughts after his improsonment was pronounced. If you are interested in what was going through his mind, the concept of Baldr's death, or if you just want to relax and close your eyes for a moment, "Dauði Baldrs" will transport you into realms you've never been to before. Highly recommended.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Carl Berg | 24.09.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 182 users
24.09.2010 - 22:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Really need to listen to this again.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
24.09.2010 - 22:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Ok... Maybe a 8,5 is too much imo BUT I completely agree with your words which I think it's mor eimportant. I mgiht give it something around 7-7,5. It is some good stuff to relax, Whewn you ar ein the mood it's quite good. And I agree about that long and minimalistic track with two different melodies... It's very hipnotic!

I want to buy it, I think it's good and better than the other non-metal album he did.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.09.2010 - 22:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 24.09.2010 at 22:34

Really need to listen to this again.

Why? Do you enjoy bad music?
24.09.2010 - 22:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 24.09.2010 at 22:38

No. It's because I don't remember a damn thing from it.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
24.09.2010 - 22:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 24.09.2010 at 22:40

Written by Guest on 24.09.2010 at 22:38

No. It's because I don't remember a damn thing from it.

You're better off. Just stick to Hliðskjálf instead.
24.09.2010 - 23:03
Rating: 7
Elyar S.
Gud är Död
This is a good album. I like it but its not as dark as review says.
----
Kiss my ass if you dont like me, I dont care.
25.09.2010 - 02:39
Susan
Smeghead
Nicely written review. Your words convey the music nicely... and interesting to point out right at the start that it was composed entirely in prison. That sets the scene just right
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.10.2010 - 20:04
Rating: 8
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Quote:
Nicely written review. Your words convey the music nicely... and interesting to point out right at the start that it was composed entirely in prison. That sets the scene just right

Thank you
02.03.2011 - 09:44
Rating: 3
wormdrink414

Fun fact: The tune in the song Daudi Bauldrs was re-used for Belus' Doed. Belus' Doed doesn't have any synth-honking and therefore is a better song.
25.04.2012 - 03:35
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Oh god are these synths cheesy. Playing them must have been a worse punishment than Norwegian jail.
21.12.2013 - 20:40
Neroese
Account deleted
DUNGEON SYNTH!
21.12.2013 - 20:48
Rating: 6
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 21.12.2013 at 20:40

DUNGEON SYNTH!

Literally
----