03. Im Auge des Sturms
04. Ariovist
05. Und ewig rinnt das Blut
06. Ode an die Heimat
07. Kampf auf Samsey
08. Thumelicus Secutor
09. Entspringe den Fesseln
10. Wudana Wittekina Waigand

Most of the time I'm not very happy when I receive folk metal albums for reviewing. It seems natural to me to be prejudiced about an album titled ?Sacred Walcraft Of Hel" as well (note that walcraft wasn't a typo, it's in the actual title). On the other hand Black Bards Entertainment has sent me a really good folk metal album before in Heathen Foray's ?The Passage" so they might have cherry-picked some goodies from this generally lackluster genre again.

And indeed it turned out that Dyrathor's debut is a very pleasant piece of blackened folk metal with quite a bit of Equilibrium-worship. Although they're always staying within the boundaries and cliches, they managed to write some diverse songs and even to stamp some personality on them. Most of the time their music seems pretty chaotic with some calm interludes. The vocals are mostly screeched, barring a couple growled and semi-spoken/clean passages and they have their own violinist on board too. The lyrics, in German and English are just the standard folk-fare about war, the absolute evil that is Christianity, etc, you know, the usual.

Even though they aren't reinventing the wheel, far from it actually, ?Sacred Walcraft Of Hel" is a good album. Although the songs are simple, they are well-played, varied and enjoyable. The only thing that bothers me on this release are the clean/spoken passages, those are rather bad. By the looks of it the band members are all very young, but the band has already been very active in the area of giving concerts too. It wouldn't surprise me if we'd be seeing the name Dyrathor a bit more often in the future.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 3
Production: 8

Written by Bas | 29.09.2010

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 84 users
29.09.2010 - 14:31
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Interesting. Might check it out later. If it indeed has Equilibrium influences, I might actually come to like it...:)
29.09.2010 - 19:37
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Sounds really cool...I'll definitely give this album a listen. Perhaps, though, the reviewer here should just avoid folk metal all together and leave this amazing, fruitful genre to those of us who truly enjoy listening to it.
29.09.2010 - 20:32
KwonVerge
Odysseus
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
29.09.2010 - 22:22
fade
Son of Sweden
It's nice to get an objective opinion from someone who is not a complete fan of the genre. Nice review Bas.
----
The troubles of avoiding horseshit.
My Music database: http://www.racksandtags.com/northernsky/
30.09.2010 - 12:22
Merchant of Doom

Hey, this is a German band! DerRozzengarten should have reviewed it! Samples on MyShithead are actually not too bad, not ground-breaking stuff, but pleasant... don't think I will buy, though...

Hits total: 4809 | This month: 6