Metal Storm logo
New permissions system for band edits

30.09.2010 - 12:10
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite
I know, it hasn't been long since this system has been introduced, however, we felt that it was inadequate and could use some improving. The main problem is, community points come from everywhere - and if you gained them by writing reviews, for example, it doesn't mean you're competent in editing bands and albums.

The new system keeps track of your achievements in separate areas - bands, albums, videos, trivia, logos, lyrics, lineup and grants you unsupervised access when it looks like you're ready for it. All your edits generate points - 1-3 for edits and 2-6 for additions, depending on quality. Gaining 100 points in Albums will allow you to add albums for invisible bands (200 for visible), 250 points to edit albums for invisible bands (500 for visible) and 300 will allow you to check album edits for invisible bands (600 for visible).

In this way, users can get access to editing pretty much everything in band profiles. As a bonus, you can even add bands after reaching 5000 total points, and edit styles for invisible bands with 2500 total points. You still can't: make bands visible, change band name, edit styles for visible bands.

As soon as you've made any contributions to the bands database and your edits have been accepted, a table will appear in your profile, detailing your progress (example). Retroactively, I transfered all previously recorded stats into the new system. Unfortunately, the records were only for additions, and there were no records for bands, logos and lyrics, so you'll have to start from 0 there, sorry.

If you have any checking permissions unlocked, you'll see a new link at the bottom of the Navigation menu: 'Check edits'. This is a way to help us to get through the piles of edits we're receiving. We trust you to be fair and thorough. Try to check the submitted information and correct whatever mistakes the submitted made. Hit 'Reject' only when the edit is beyond saving. Each checked edit will earn you 4 points in the particular area, plus 3 community points.

In addition to that, all users can now mark things for deletion - just go to the edit screen and hit the 'Delete' button in the bottom. This will be checked and taken care by Staff members.

The old system will remain intact for the moment, but will be most probably removed later.
30.09.2010 - 12:33
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Great idea putting more users to work with the checking, the reward system is actually worth something.

However, users that can check edits/additions for invisible bands don't have any simple way of seeing if a band is invisible by looking at the list of pending edits. Kind of a trial-and-error process of seeing where you can help out...
30.09.2010 - 12:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Looks nice, I just look at my stats looks good

Seems I can add a band now to I like it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.09.2010 - 12:45
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite
Written by Introspekrieg on 30.09.2010 at 12:33

Great idea putting more users to work with the checking, the reward system is actually worth something.

However, users that can check edits/additions for invisible bands don't have any simple way of seeing if a band is invisible by looking at the list of pending edits. Kind of a trial-and-error process of seeing where you can help out...

If you can only check edits for invisible bands, only they will show up in the list.
30.09.2010 - 12:51
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by Ivan on 30.09.2010 at 12:45

If you can only check edits for invisible bands, only they will show up in the list.

Okay, I see it's working now. Consider my boredom cured!
30.09.2010 - 12:54
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite
Written by Introspekrieg on 30.09.2010 at 12:51

Written by Ivan on 30.09.2010 at 12:45

Okay, I see it's working now. Consider my boredom cured!

Thanks for willing to help with that. I hate seeing so many edits piling up - letting them rot for months means site information is not up to date and submitters are frustrated. Hopefully with this system in place things will change for the better.
30.09.2010 - 13:16
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Of course I knew this was coming, but still great to see it alive and kicking!

Hopefully this will cure the pile of edits. We love all input you guys are giving us but it was no secret we couldn't really handle it anymore. This more wikipedian-style of editing will hopefully prove to work much better!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
30.09.2010 - 13:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Look awesome, thank's Ivan, just figure out how it works, looks good, and interesting, and works well
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2010 - 14:14
Bas
Retired Staff
elite
Cool stuff Ivan! Will be interesting to see how this new system works out
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
30.09.2010 - 14:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Hm, i would need more time to "get into" this, it looks quite complex...but nice i guess .)

do i understand right - points from events editing and posting news/reviews are completely excluded from band-related edits permissions?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.09.2010 - 15:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2010 at 14:52

Hm, i would need more time to "get into" this, it looks quite complex...but nice i guess .)

do i understand right - points from events editing and posting news/reviews are completely excluded from band-related edits permissions?

Its not complicated, I deal whit vids now, since I know moust of metal vids many years in front of TV :p

line up and albums are more complicated, takes time now Im dealing whit Arakain :p
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2010 - 15:35
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite

It's simple, really. You add/edit/check albums - you get 'album' points. When you have enough album points, you can add/edit/check without supervision. Only adding bands and editing styles requires combined amount of points. News and reviews are not part of the system. Events, however, should use the same system soon.
30.09.2010 - 16:39
Kennoth
Cool. Maybe now there is a real chance I'll actually edit something AND have someone see it.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
30.09.2010 - 18:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ivan on 30.09.2010 at 15:35

It's simple, really. You add/edit/check albums - you get 'album' points. When you have enough album points, you can add/edit/check without supervision. Only adding bands and editing styles requires combined amount of points. News and reviews are not part of the system. Events, however, should use the same system soon.

How about news for invisible band, same like for visible, we sumbite it staff accept/reject it because there many invisible bands who has news and we cant submite whit out PM staff ,
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2010 - 18:57
GT
Coffee!!
staff
A really nice move Iavn. Now I don't have to feel guilty when visiting MS without checking up on some pending edits
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.09.2010 - 19:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ivan where I shood write why reject eddit? In old days when staff reject some of my I got a not rej and there was reason why?
Where I can write, I cant see window for it or only staff has such place where thay can write reason?
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2010 - 20:06
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite
Written by Bad English on 30.09.2010 at 19:22

Ivan where I shood write why reject eddit? In old days when staff reject some of my I got a not rej and there was reason why?
Where I can write, I cant see window for it or only staff has such place where thay can write reason?

Do you see the 'Comments on changes' box? Write there.
30.09.2010 - 20:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ivan on 30.09.2010 at 20:06

Yes I see, thank's
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2010 - 22:38
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I have a minor suggestion.. which is to move the "new permissions schedule" to a link (tab) within the profile page as it is crowding up the page and isn't neccissarily important for profile viewers to know about it..

i mean, when browsing someone's profile i wouldn't care much what edits he did and i wouldnt need to see his contributions schedule.. so, i think it'll look better if that new permissions thing would show up in the profile as a clickable link ... or to be only visibile to the user of the profile and not everyone else.

what do you think about this guys?
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
01.10.2010 - 00:26
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
I fully agree with this guy above.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
01.10.2010 - 01:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Zomb, I agree, its would be same like in band profiles time line, you click, see it , same here
----

apos;'
[image]
01.10.2010 - 03:11
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by Bad English on 30.09.2010 at 20:07

Yes I see, thank's

Yeah... it's unbelievable how many times you have to copy/paste the "Notes On Adding Albums" listed RIGHT BELOW for rejecting re-releases and bootlegs.
01.10.2010 - 09:46
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite
Written by Zombie on 30.09.2010 at 22:38

I have a minor suggestion.. which is to move the "new permissions schedule" to a link (tab) within the profile page as it is crowding up the page and isn't neccissarily important for profile viewers to know about it..

i mean, when browsing someone's profile i wouldn't care much what edits he did and i wouldnt need to see his contributions schedule.. so, i think it'll look better if that new permissions thing would show up in the profile as a clickable link ... or to be only visibile to the user of the profile and not everyone else.

what do you think about this guys?

Made it only visible for the profile owner and Staff. Don't want to hide it under a link though, as it may confuse new contributors.
01.10.2010 - 13:42
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Written by Introspekrieg on 01.10.2010 at 03:11

Written by Bad English on 30.09.2010 at 20:07

Yes I see, thank's

Yeah... it's unbelievable how many times you have to copy/paste the "Notes On Adding Albums" listed RIGHT BELOW for rejecting re-releases and bootlegs.

Yeah you'd figure that people were able to read wouldn't you
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
01.10.2010 - 16:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
When i go to "Pending edits" page, apart from my two pending tour submissions and one trivia, i can see all currenly pending news and funny stuff, although i dont have permission to do anything with them...is that alright or a hidden bug?
----

01.10.2010 - 16:37
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite
Written by Ellrohir on 01.10.2010 at 16:14

When i go to "Pending edits" page, apart from my two pending tour submissions and one trivia, i can see all currenly pending news and funny stuff, although i dont have permission to do anything with them...is that alright or a hidden bug?

Bug, fixed.
01.10.2010 - 21:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Yesterday: aprox 150 vids pending
Today: 0 what hepened I done it all
90% accepted, 10 rejected(moustly dublication and live footage , some was whit sorces like internet LOL and google, I reject those since I could not find any info about that those exist)
Now its time deal whit an albums :p
----

apos;'
[image]
01.10.2010 - 22:16
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite
Written by Bad English on 01.10.2010 at 21:31

90% accepted, 10 rejected(moustly dublication and live footage , some was whit sorces like internet LOL and google, I reject those since I could not find any info about that those exist)

Good job. Just to make sure you know, live footage is not a problem, live sound is.
01.10.2010 - 22:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ivan on 01.10.2010 at 22:16

Written by Bad English on 01.10.2010 at 21:31

Good job. Just to make sure you know, live footage is not a problem, live sound is.

Thank's I was bored and I am bored, muisc and going true albums
I mean live footage whit live sound, I know taht rule about live + studio sound,
----

apos;'
[image]
01.10.2010 - 22:34
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Now when i am looking at K7's profile, i see he has 12789 "band points", which means he is able to Add bands, since it is more than 5000...but next two band options - edit and check - are still marked as unavailable for him, although require much less points...

also i am confused with this row in my profile - first i read here i have earned 0 points for editing bands and i have edited 1 band...and i dont know - either it means it are points for editing band info and then i am pretty sure i have made much more such edits, or it is just row for "bands in general" and then i dont understand what is this 1 edit i should have made...
----