Metal Storm logo
New permissions system for band edits

Original post

Posted by Ivan, 30.09.2010 - 12:10
I know, it hasn't been long since this system has been introduced, however, we felt that it was inadequate and could use some improving. The main problem is, community points come from everywhere - and if you gained them by writing reviews, for example, it doesn't mean you're competent in editing bands and albums.

The new system keeps track of your achievements in separate areas - bands, albums, videos, trivia, logos, lyrics, lineup and grants you unsupervised access when it looks like you're ready for it. All your edits generate points - 1-3 for edits and 2-6 for additions, depending on quality. Gaining 100 points in Albums will allow you to add albums for invisible bands (200 for visible), 250 points to edit albums for invisible bands (500 for visible) and 300 will allow you to check album edits for invisible bands (600 for visible).

In this way, users can get access to editing pretty much everything in band profiles. As a bonus, you can even add bands after reaching 5000 total points, and edit styles for invisible bands with 2500 total points. You still can't: make bands visible, change band name, edit styles for visible bands.

As soon as you've made any contributions to the bands database and your edits have been accepted, a table will appear in your profile, detailing your progress (example). Retroactively, I transfered all previously recorded stats into the new system. Unfortunately, the records were only for additions, and there were no records for bands, logos and lyrics, so you'll have to start from 0 there, sorry.

If you have any checking permissions unlocked, you'll see a new link at the bottom of the Navigation menu: 'Check edits'. This is a way to help us to get through the piles of edits we're receiving. We trust you to be fair and thorough. Try to check the submitted information and correct whatever mistakes the submitted made. Hit 'Reject' only when the edit is beyond saving. Each checked edit will earn you 4 points in the particular area, plus 3 community points.

In addition to that, all users can now mark things for deletion - just go to the edit screen and hit the 'Delete' button in the bottom. This will be checked and taken care by Staff members.

The old system will remain intact for the moment, but will be most probably removed later.
01.10.2010 - 22:52
Ragana
Rawrcat
Oh, just live with it. I personally have no idea why I have those points at all.
01.10.2010 - 23:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I need to know
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

01.10.2010 - 23:20
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Strange, Ellrohir. At first I thought the 1 band edit was maybe still pending, but that's in the case either. My best guess is that the importation of CP's to this new system isn't flawless (maybe some records were lost), and that caused a few disruptions here and there.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.10.2010 - 23:31
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Ellrohir on 01.10.2010 at 22:34

Now when i am looking at K7's profile, i see he has 12789 "band points", which means he is able to Add bands, since it is more than 5000...but next two band options - edit and check - are still marked as unavailable for him, although require much less points...

also i am confused with this row in my profile - first i read here i have earned 0 points for editing bands and i have edited 1 band...and i dont know - either it means it are points for editing band info and then i am pretty sure i have made much more such edits, or it is just row for "bands in general" and then i dont understand what is this 1 edit i should have made...

Bands = band profiles. If you read the notes under the permissions box (click 'Help'), you'll see that adding bands is determined by total points, while editing and checking is regular (meaning, it needs 'band points').

Not sure where this 1 edit came from in your profile, but normally it should come together with points...
01.10.2010 - 23:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Lucas on 01.10.2010 at 23:20

My best guess is that the importation of CP's to this new system isn't flawless (maybe some records were lost), and that caused a few disruptions here and there.

i am not against admitting it is sort of a bug...just wanted to point it out in case it can be fixed to prevent more possible harm maybe it cannot...

btw. i know fair too well how hard it is to find why user has something that he shouldnt...on my encyclopedia site some people are occasionally going into negative values of "user points" and i am still unsure why it is so...
----

01.10.2010 - 23:49
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Ellrohir on 01.10.2010 at 23:41

Written by Lucas on 01.10.2010 at 23:20

My best guess is that the importation of CP's to this new system isn't flawless (maybe some records were lost), and that caused a few disruptions here and there.

i am not against admitting it is sort of a bug...just wanted to point it out in case it can be fixed to prevent more possible harm maybe it cannot...

btw. i know fair too well how hard it is to find why user has something that he shouldnt...on my encyclopedia site some people are occasionally going into negative values of "user points" and i am still unsure why it is so...

Haha yeah, I'm no programmer but I can imagine it can be quite annoying to sift through boring code to find the error. We appreciate all the input, complaints are chances to improve the site.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
02.10.2010 - 10:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Now i see i have already 2 band edits...
----

02.10.2010 - 11:56
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Ellrohir on 02.10.2010 at 10:54

Now i see i have already 2 band edits...

And you did nothing the past couple of hours? What sort of edits did you add?
----

02.10.2010 - 12:01
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well i am mostly working on bands - editing basic info if missing, adding styles, lineup, disco, logos...but i do many of such edits, cant see which should be "problematic"

maybe - i know i have written one short biography this morning...but then, right now, i have updated another bio (added info about disbanding band) and this did nothing, still have two edits...
----

02.10.2010 - 18:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Again me - it writes me i have earned 2047 points for editing in bands section...while totally i have "only" 2068 points, although at least 174 (at least according to old counting described in FAQ) should be for my news and reviews, not talking about events edits...

i am not hunting for points here, but one of those numbers must be wrong, or?
----

03.10.2010 - 02:32
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Ivan on 01.10.2010 at 09:46

Made it only visible for the profile owner and Staff. Don't want to hide it under a link though, as it may confuse new contributors.

did i get to be in the staff ?? i can still see the new permissions thing in some people's profiles and in some i cant.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
03.10.2010 - 02:36
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Holy shit. At this moment, there are ZERO pending album edits. Either this system is working, or someone is just accepting everything.
03.10.2010 - 02:49
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Dangerboner on 03.10.2010 at 02:36

Holy shit. At this moment, there are ZERO pending album edits. Either this system is working, or someone is just accepting everything.

I've been working on the album edits for the last two days, I basically get paid at my job to sit at a computer/register, so I figured I could take care of them. And I'm not accepting everything if you are worried, there were many, many rejections. I fucked up a couple of times accepting splits that were listed on the other band's profile without connection, but immediately put them up for deletion and learned my lesson.

If anyone wants to give me a lyrics permission I could take care of those...
03.10.2010 - 07:05
selken
Irreligious
I love this system!!! it's even better than the Wiki principle of "anyone can edit" since It eventually only lets appropriate people to submit unaudited editions. I even didn't know there was a permission methodology.

Great job
----
03.10.2010 - 12:42
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Introspekrieg on 03.10.2010 at 02:49

I've been working on the album edits for the last two days, I basically get paid at my job to sit at a computer/register, so I figured I could take care of them. And I'm not accepting everything if you are worried, there were many, many rejections. I fucked up a couple of times accepting splits that were listed on the other band's profile without connection, but immediately put them up for deletion and learned my lesson.

Nice job man. I can't give you the lyrics permission unfortunately.
----

03.10.2010 - 15:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Introspekrieg on 03.10.2010 at 02:49

hey man we both deal whit it, whyle I did some 60 yesterday :p and all videos :p
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.10.2010 - 15:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Zombie on 03.10.2010 at 02:32

Made it only visible for the profile owner and Staff. Don't want to hide it under a link though, as it may confuse new contributors.

did i get to be in the staff ?? i can still see the new permissions thing in some people's profiles and in some i cant.

You do? Strange. In which profiles?
----

03.10.2010 - 16:35
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
HEY !!! THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN !!
can i join hehe ??!!
----

04.10.2010 - 09:37
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
This system is actually really cool, totally digging it. Great job!
04.10.2010 - 14:46
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Lucas on 03.10.2010 at 15:59

Written by Zombie on 03.10.2010 at 02:32

You do? Strange. In which profiles?

mostly profiles of inactive members and members who are low on community points.
----

04.10.2010 - 21:58
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
I just edited the last Grave Digger album, and there was no "source" field (although I put the source in the "comments of changes" field). Is this how it's supposed to be? I ran a decent number of edits in the last few days, and also, sometimes "source" field was there and sometimes not. I figured it may have something to do with bands being visible or invisible, but this GD thing broke my theory.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
05.10.2010 - 00:20
Janne
Hugin
Great feat! btw why are we only allowed to see our own stats? it'd be great to see others' as well
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
05.10.2010 - 12:22
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk on 04.10.2010 at 21:58

I just edited the last Grave Digger album, and there was no "source" field (although I put the source in the "comments of changes" field). Is this how it's supposed to be? I ran a decent number of edits in the last few days, and also, sometimes "source" field was there and sometimes not. I figured it may have something to do with bands being visible or invisible, but this GD thing broke my theory.

There should always be a source field no matter what. Might be a bug
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
05.10.2010 - 12:23
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Janne on 05.10.2010 at 00:20

Great feat! btw why are we only allowed to see our own stats? it'd be great to see others' as well

See the first page. Ivan answers it there
----

05.10.2010 - 20:49
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Btw, i think there's a bug with the new points system... i have more "new 'system' points" in that bands permissions section than the total community points ... even though community points include funny stuff, articles, reviews, forum reports, and other criteria not found in the new system.. so how come i have more points in the new system (101) while i have only (99) community points in the 'old' system ..

goddamit i want and i deserve a custom title LOL
----

05.10.2010 - 22:37
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I currently have 2419 "real" points and 2911 "new" points...

i already pointed this out few days ago...
----

12.10.2010 - 23:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
After i have read Ivan's opening post carefully once again, i discovered it probably isnt...his sentence

Quote:
Each checked edit will earn you 4 points in the particular area, plus 3 community points.

invokes, that "band points" and "community points" are two separate things...
----

12.10.2010 - 23:26
iaberis
Advice Troll
Oh, my profile was used as an example! I'm flattered
----
Bitch! Please
17.10.2010 - 01:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How can I edd sugegsted band
I have been suggested many bands in past but Kabat, Torr, now Preterfnatural has been edded from this user Immortal SEP
How can I do it I thought only staff can do it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.10.2010 - 10:09
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Bad English on 17.10.2010 at 01:21

How can I edd sugegsted band
I have been suggested many bands in past but Kabat, Torr, now Preterfnatural has been edded from this user Immortal SEP
How can I do it I thought only staff can do it

My guess is that he suggested it to be featured on the site and when it was accepted his name is given as the one who added it. Otherwise it's only staff that can add bands.
----